FOUR

S T R A N G E R S

   Yuta, or so does he wanted me to call him that, and I departed in front of the airport. We said our farewells and wished to meet again, although I know for sure the chances are 0.00001%. He left first, with his dark green luggage and entered an SUV. “Bye MinMin!!” he shouted as the SUV’s front window rolled in. I smiled back and waved my hand.

 

   He looked nice, and by nice I mean he smelt great, his body was a little bit well built, his hair looked soft and most importantly his smiles were cute and genuine. He looks like an idol.

 

   “Sumin!Brat!” Aunt caught me in my thoughts and dragged me to the taxi. “Stop fantasizing about your 2-hour-stand boy and just hop in the taxi would you? I want to REST” she emphasised the word rest, but I was rather confused. She slept in the plane, why would she be any tired?

 

   “I did not sleep with him auntie. I just slept next to him, on the freaking plane. That makes a huge difference, and yes, let’s hop in” I dropped my pastel pink luggage into the taxi and hopped in. Aunt rolled her eyes to the maximum, and before she could reply my words, she got a phone call.

 

   The ride in the taxi was super boring. The driver was an old-fashioned man who was wearing vintage clothing and he has a moustache. I sighed for the many times. Maybe I expected this journey to Japan to be something extraordinary, and my high expectations killed me. Now I’m on a super boring ride, as the radio in the taxi was playing classic Japanese songs, and my aunt was busy with her calls. I tried to look at the scenery outside but that makes me even wanted to just go out of the taxi and explore…and maybe stop by to eat some sushi.

 

   The taxi stopped as it was red light, and the driver’s phone seemed to beep. A message maybe? He took his old LG flip phone and smiled as he read the message. With his sudden excitement, he hurriedly changed the radio channel which was currently blasting … teen music, Japanese teenage songs. That was a drastic change, from old folks’ songs to teenage ones. Weird.

 

   What’s more awkward was that we made an eye contact from the front mirror and he smiled back. His eye smile was very visible from the angle.

 

   “My grandson. Idol. Japanese debut. Very Proud…..good song” he started to converse in simple English towards me. I nodded and smiled back and tried to listen to the song. For a non-speaker, all I could capture was

 

   “C—chainnnn, reaction” I suddenly sung along to the song. The taxi driver smiled.

 

   “Good song. My Grandson….idol. Good boy” he continued. I gave him a thumbs up, as a symbol of agreeing with him. “NCT … good group….” He added. NCT? That seemed familiar. Maybe the groups are from Korea? Maybe the girls have talked about the group before? I would never know. But the song, was indeed, very good.

 

   “Good song, indeed” I gave him two thumbs up as the song ended.

 

   This grandpa must be super proud of his grandson, as he kept on humming on the song although it ended 20 minutes ago. His eyes showed it all. Lucky grandson, wish I have loving grandparents too.

 

   After our arrival at the hotel, auntie left me at the hotel room as she was gone to handle her business for the upcoming fashion show. Her sharp words before she disappeared were, “Wherever you go on Japan, please be back before 12. I will be back at that time…I need someone to massage me” she pointed out then shut the door with a loud bang. I know this sounds pure evilness but this was the reality I’ve been living since the death of my parents. It’s not new, and it won’t stop anytime soon.

 

 

   It was 10pm and I decided to go explore the hotel for a bit. I was at the 7th floor and took the elevator to the lobby. The lobby was huge at first glance but as I stopped by, it was not only huge but it was also crowded with lots of people, foreigners mostly.

 

   “1 more person for Eat Sushi for free! Hurry up while seat still open. Enjoy sushi with your unknown part—“ as the word sushi spoke up from afar, I ran franticly towards the cute girl in the kimono. I hold her shoulders, trying to breath properly.

 

   “Free sushi? I’m in”

 

   “Seats for free sushi are closed. Come in , miss” she showed me the way inside.

 

   This must be it, I thought. The start of my very beautiful journey in Japan with free sushi. Yes, this is a sign that the trip would be wonderful. Sushi, here I go!!!!!!

 

   The lady opened a door to a small room with table….and a guy was waiting. The room seemed to fit for 2. I was confused. Why is the guy there? “Uhm…why … the guy?” the girl in the kimono seemed Korean so I tried talking to her in Korean and she did understand it, to my luck.

 

   “Ah, this Eat Sushi for free is arranged for 10 individuals, 5 male and 5 female and will be assigned randomly into 5 couples…and would eat together for 2 hours. You could say this is a mini blind date, in the name of sushi.” She explained, as if it was not new. I was shocked for a while but at the sight of the sushi served… I gulped down my saliva and went to my seat which was on the front of the guy.

 

    I tried to ignore his presence so much but his scent of perfume was so strong but at the same time felt familiar. Well to be exact, his built and his hair looked familiar. I sat down on the Japanese dining setting room, in front of the guy and grabbed a glass of water. But as the guy blurted out “itadakimasu” I looked at him and almost choked on my water.

 

   The guy looked at me confusingly, rather irritated. I was unable to control myself, heck my heart beats so fast. The scene that I tried to forget came showering in my thoughts that it ruined my mood. After the water passed through my throat, I stood up and pointed at him.

 

   “You!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh Sehun!!!!!”

 

   His eyebrows was almost meeting when he frowned, “excuse me, do I know you ?”

 

 

 

 

 

 

hell yes you do.