Season of the Flying Leaf

Today...For You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was Saturday, Mark was having a quiet breakfast with Mama. 

 

“Mama cooked some of your favorite Taiwanese dishes, I know you miss them.” She said as she picked up some pieces to put in his bowl, “Yi En, you can stay here, but Mama hopes that you don’t get too obsess with Jooyoung. There is a reason Mama don’t want you two together. When it’s the right time, Mama will tell you. Okay?” 

 

Mark smiled a little and nodded, picking up his food. Suddenly Mark was reminded of his conversation with Jaebum the other day. 

 

 

When Jaebum came to school to take his exam, Mark had a little conversation with him. 

 

“Why did you do that?” Mark asked. 

 

Jaebum’s brows furrowed, “What?” 

 

“Jisoo. Why do you keep insisting to keep her in the dark whenever you have to do your family’s biddings? Sending someone over telling her to not come to a party without explaining to her?” 

 

“Mark Tuan, it’s none of your business.” Jaebum reminded him before walking away.

 

“You think being like that make you cool?” Mark retorted when Jaebum passed by his shoulder. “When you think that you’re protecting her, but you’re indirectly hurting the girl you love.” 

 

“Mark Tuan, let me give you an advice.” Jaebum turned his head to face Mark’s profile, “Sometimes, it’s better to retreat. Especially when in a battle that you can’t win. Retreating doesn’t mean that you lose, it is just so you can buy time so you can re-strategize.” 

 

Mark turned his head to glare at him, “And you’re doing so without telling her? She’s hurt because of you.” 

 

Jaebum then retorted, “No, I will tell her when I see her. But I don’t know when I can, so I have to send someone as a messenger. Hoping that she would give it a thought. My girlfriend is not a weak girl. She will be fine.” 

 

 

“Mama,” Mark spoke, “By the end of the year, I will go back to Taiwan.” 

 

“Really?” Mama asked with a smile. 

 

Mark nodded with a smile, “Really. I will go back and be an obedient son, I won’t be obsessed over anyone.” He spaced out, deciding that he’d keep himself as a bachelor and would not accept any marriage candidates. 

 

 

After Breakfast, Mark decided to give Jisoo a visit. And he came all dressed nicely with some flowers. 

 

Jisoo was out pacing in the front yard while reasoning with herself on the matter of the party. She was undecided between going or not –Jaebum was obviously looking out for her – yet, she badly wanted to be with him for such an event. She wanted to see what a chaebol party would be like. 

 

“Kim Ji.Soo.Shi.” Mark smiled when she jerked back seeing him, “Hi. What you doing pacing back and forth?” 

 

“How do you know where I live?” She asked. 

 

“Um…I asked around.” 

 

Jisoo turned around and growled with hand formed into fist, “Which one of you, which one of you give away my house address?” She asked herself with images of each one of her friends flashed through her mind. 

 

“It was Sohee-shi.” Mark answered. 

 

“Yoon Sohee!!” She hissed. 

 

“Jisoo-shi, can I borrow you for a day?” 

 

“No.” 

 

“Aish, why do you always say no to me? If Im Jaebum asks, you’d say yes–“

 

“Of course, he’s my boyfriend!” Jisoo exclaimed. 

 

“But I’m your friend, your best friend!” Mark responded. 

 

“I say no to friends very often.” Jisoo snarked. 

 

“Tsk. Jisoo-shi, this is a matter of life and death…” He said, but when he saw her crossing her arms and narrowed her eyes, he then said, “It’s related to Jooyoung.”

 

“What’s wrong with Jooyoung-unnie?” She gasped.

 

“If you come with me. I’ll tell you.” 

 

“It’s a trap!” Jisoo exclaimed, and Mark laughed. 

 

“Yah, Kim Jisoo, you’re a very sharp girl. No wonder Im Jaebum has so much pride in you.” 

 

“Hm?” Jisoo was all ears. 

 

“Tsk, just come along. I really need your help. Just for this day. Remember, I will help you at the party–“

 

“About that, I don’t know if I’ll go.” Jisoo answered. 

 

Mark sighed, “Jisoo.” He didn’t want to tell anyone this, but he was so desperate that he let her know, “I’m going back to Taiwan in a few months. I just want to see how Jooyoung lives.” 

 

“You’re not staying?” Jisoo asked. 

 

“No, I think it is better that I go back and do what my mother wants. Hm…If I ever have a chance, I’ll come and visit.” 

 

Jisoo felt a little sad upon hearing such news that she agreed to go on this special date with him. They were a bit awkward walking side by side but Mark was skilled on one on one talk that he managed to squeeze a few informations out of her.

 

“Will you show me where Jooyoung works?” Mark asked. 

 

“She’s going to be very angry with me if I do…” Jisoo murmured. 

 

Mark sighed, “Do you want to know what Im Jaebum is doing right now?” 

 

Jisoo had a hunch from long ago. He was probably on a date with some girls, that Han Yoona girl that he told her about. “Hm…probably studying.” She said casually. 

 

“About what? Exams are over.” Mark laughed before looking at her expression in order to catch her mood, “You know don’t you?” 

 

Jisoo nodded, “Mm. He told me.” 

 

“He did?” 

 

Jisoo nodded with a smile, “He wrote a letter and told me that he would have to some girl, and that I shouldn’t come to the party because he won’t be my partner, and he doesn’t want me to see him with another girl.” 

 

Mark chuckled, “Is that so…?” He was wrong on Im Jaebum. So it turned out that they had a better relationship than he thought. And he thought he was the better one when it came to relationship management. He thought that by crossing out all the other girls, doing whatever he wanted so long as he could show Jooyoung his loyalty was enough. He realized he never fully communicate with Jooyoung, all this time she was abiding by his rules and ideas, and when she rebelled, he couldn’t stand it. 

 

“I really want to go though.” Jisoo moped. 

 

“Jisoo,” Mark called, “Do you know about Chaeyoung?” He suddenly asked. 

 

Jisoo jerked back in shock, “How–“

 

“Do you know where Chaeyoung is?” Mark asked. 

 

“I can’t tell you, but you don’t have to worry. Jooyoung-unnie already found her. The only thing now is that she is waiting for her graduation. After her graduation, she will come pick up Chaeyoung to live with her.” 

 

“Ah~. That’s good then. She has everything planned out.” He bit his lips realizing once again that Jooyoung was very capable to live by herself without needing his help for anything. 

 

Jisoo unconsciously let slip a little more information, “Though, Jooyoung-unnie asked me to take care of Chaeyoung if anything happen to her.” She murmured in question, “What would happen to her that she needed a third party to make sure her sister is safe? Furthermore, I never met the girl before. I only know she is working at an orphanage called Nest.” 

 

Mark turned to give her a satisfied smile and she gasped, covering . 

 

“You’re not supposed to know about that.” 

 

“I didn’t hear anything.” Mark replied, and Jisoo groaned for her impulsive blabber mouth. 

 

“Oh!” Jisoo stopped in shock when she saw that she unconsciously took Mark to Jooyoung’s work place, “Let’s go somewhere!” Jisoo attempted to drag him away but it was too late because Mark saw Jooyoung inside. 

 

“Jisoo-shi, you are an amazing friend!” He remarked with a laugh while her head, “Thank you.” 

 

“It is just not my day!” Jisoo grumpily groaned. 

 

He bought a few items and waited for her to come out to the cash register before checking out. Jisoo tried to hide behind him. She was shameful with herself for breaking a promise. 

 

“Hi.” Mark greeted, Jooyoung ignored him as she scanned the items. 

 

“I’m sorry.” Jisoo wailed from behind of him. Jooyoung sighed looking away, a bit disappointed but she figured that this day would happen sooner or later. 

 

“I’m going back to Taiwan in a month or two. So you don’t have to worry. Just focus on your study and take care of your sister. But if you ever need help. Don’t forget to call.” He smiled genuinely before paying for both him and Jisoo, “Although, I’d like for us to become friends for the next few months. This cold war is a little uncomfortable…” 

 

Jooyoung gulped with hesitation, “I’ll think about it.” 

 

Mark nodded in content before leaving with Jisoo, who bowed incessantly to Jooyoung as an apology. When they left the convenient store, Jooyoung let out a little smirking smile. 

 

“Jisoo-shi, let’s just take a walk.” Mark suggested. 

 

“We’ve been walking.” Jisoo replied and Mark chuckled. 

 

“Should we go buy you a dress then? We’ll buy one for Jooyoung too.” Mark suggested. 

 

“Shouldn’t Jooyoung unnie come with us if we’re buying her one? We don’t know her size–“

 

“I do.” Mark said suddenly, making Jisoo blushed. 

 

Mark laughed, “Are you now wondering if Jaebumie knows your size too?” 

 

“No. Jaebum don’t have to know my size.” She replied, he’ll just buy all the sizes. 

 

“Because he’ll probably buy all the sizes and let you pick.” Mark was right on point, “I’m right aren’t I?” He turned and asked and she nodded. “Jisoo-shi, don’t you wonder, how long you’ll last with Jaebumie?” He asked, “You know, we’re in our teens. The grown ups don’t believe teen people really know how to love, and they believe that we don’t last long. We will break up and find someone else.” 

 

Jisoo nodded, “I know. In the beginning, he and I already decided that we might break up by the end of the year.” She turned and smiled.

 

“Really, you both decided?” He asked. 

 

“Hmm…I think he might move somewhere far far away, and I won’t be able to find him.” 

 

“Might?” Mark asked, “how are you so sure?” 

 

“He told me once, well… in a letter. But he has been distancing himself and has been saying some weird things, like ‘wait for me.’”

 

“Then you should definitely come to the party. You should try to stay with him as much as possible before you break up. Make this as the most beautiful time of your youth.” Mark smiled while looking up to the sky. 

 

Jisoo sighed and tilted her head, then asked, “Why must this be the most beautiful time of my youth? Who said my youth have to be only this time? And I am sure I will have more times with him. Even if I have to wait long.” 

 

Mark stared in shock then grinned and laughed, “Right.” 

 

The wind suddenly passed by, Autumn had began. 

 

“Jisoo-shi, let’s go to the mall.” Mark suggested, “I have never been to the mall in Seoul. So let’s go.” He grabbed her hand and dragged her along while she bemoaned her decision this Saturday morning. Yet, she couldn’t say no after seeing how downcasted he looked after that small confession. 

 

“Jisoo, let’s go get you a dress for the upcoming party.” 

 

“I said I’m not going.” 

 

“You are!” Mark declared. 

 

Jisoo stopped and derided him, “Do you always do things without consulting with others? If someone says they don’t want, that means they don’t want. You can’t force people to do what they don’t want to!” She was suddenly angry and was annoyed all morning. Mark of course knew that he couldn’t force her, but also knew that she had some frustration that she needed to let out. 

 

“Feel better?” He asked. 

 

“No!” 

 

“Jisoo?” Asked a familiar voice. 

 

When Mark and Jisoo turned to look, it was Jaebum and the girl, Han Yoona. And sitting between their encountering was their group of friends: Who also were eyeing the two pairs in front of them. They were shocked, but couldn’t pretend obliviousness. 

 

“What happened?” Sehun whispered to Minki, to which Minki shrugged his shoulders. 

 

“I don’t know.” 

 

“Yah, why is Jisoo with Mark Tuan and Jaebum with, who is she?” Inhye asked. 

 

“Han Yoona.” Kyungsoo whispered. 

 

“Is she that new girl that Jaebum has to take to places the past days?” Eunhee asked. 

 

“Apparently so.” Kyungsoo replied. 

 

“I don’t understand why these girls latch onto Jaebum when he showed disinterest most of the times he’s with them.” Yoonhwan commented. 

 

“Yah, this is going to be so interesting.” Sohee commented, “Yah! You four, let’s go on a group date!” She shouted and the rest pulled her down to shut her up. 

 

“Why do you like to cause trouble so much?” Seyeon chimed in. 

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter