001

What We Must
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Growing up, Donghyuck was always told "We must be willing to sacrifice anything for our kingdom." or "It is our duty to serve our country. We must do what we must." From a young age, Donghyuck was told about the duties of the royal family. They are a beacon of hope for their subjects. If hard times fell on the kingdom, it was up to the royal family to find a solution. The royals have to be willing to give their lives away in order to save their subjects. That is what makes a good monarchy and the difference between a happy kingdom and a village uprising.

 

It is not that Donghyuck doesn't like being a prince, not really. He even loves some aspects of being a royal. For starters, he has the role of making the first meal of the spring now that he has had his first heat, which is a huge honor that Donghyuck loves. While it is taxing, Donghyuck likes making his loved ones happy. He also is the member of the family to visit orphans every month to bring them food, clothes, and toys. Having the children look up to him makes him smile so hard his cheeks hurt by the end of those days.

 

As much as there are good things about being a prince, there are just as many bad things that come with them. Donghyuck understands the responsibilities that come with being a part of the royal family. He understands the need to sacrifice some of his personal life for the better of the kingdom. But there is a line there. He is willing to give away parts of his life; things like how little free time he gets or how he has to pretend to like all of the visiting noblemen in order not to start conflicts for his kingdom. Small things that are merely inconveniences. What he is not willing to give up is the decision to decide his own future. And Donghyuck does not think that is selfish. All he wants is that one thing, does that make him so terrible?

 

His parents never seem to get it though. They willingly give their lives to serve. They got married when his mom was only sixteen, only a year younger than Donghyuck himself. They hadn't even met prior to that; their wedding day was the first meeting. Donghyuck never understood how his parents were able to marry complete strangers. Sure, it worked out and they fell in love eventually, but that is a rarity. Donghyuck could not do that. He could not just sign his life away to some alpha that he knows nothing about. Just the thought of it makes Donghyuck sick.

 

If this makes Donghyuck seem selfish and spoiled, he really does not care.

 

The morning starts like any other. It is just a little after dawn, the sun starting to rise to brighten the day. Donghyuck always enjoys waking up to watch the sunrise, especially since it is summer. The late July heat can be annoying, but Donghyuck was born in the summer, he thrives in it. Early morning dew has settled outside, covering the garden in a soft twinkle. Donghyuck loves this view.

 

It's still quiet in the family wing of the palace, Donghyuck knows that he is usually the first one awake out of his brothers. Jaehyun should be waking up soon, even with his mate away for a few days, Jaehyun is still running on the schedule that Taeyong set. Taeyong has a schedule for everything and he does not like when time is wasted. It is funny to think of. Jaehyun used to be like Taeil and Doyoung, they all could sleep all day if they were allowed but Taeyong did not allow laziness.

 

After Donghyuck washed up and changed for the day, he went a few doors down to his alpha brother's room. Just like he had predicted, Jaehyun looks like he woke up a few minutes ago, hair wild and his bedding rumpled. Jaehyun was by a window doing some morning stretches. Donghyuck can already tell the lack of Taeyong's nagging has allowed for Jaehyun to have a messy room. Taeyong is going to have a heart attack.

 

"Good morning Jae Hyung." Donghyuck greets his brother.

 

Jaehyun finally notices his presence and smiles, "Oh, good morning Donghyuckie. What brings you here this lovely morning baby brother?"

 

Donghyuck flops himself down among the many pillows on his brother's bed and pouts. " I am not a baby anymore, Hyung, I am almost 18."

 

"Almost 18? You turned 17 only 2 months ago. I would hardly say that that is "almost" anything, Hyuck." Jaehyun laughs.

 

"Well, I am far from being a baby, so stop treating me like one." Jaehyun would take Donghyuck more seriously if he weren’t pouting like a small child.

 

"Hey, you still didn't tell me what you're doing here. You do remember that Taeyong isn't here, right?"

 

"Of course, how could I forget that my favorite hyung left me." Donghyuck loves Taeyong. With the two of them being the only Omegas in the family, they naturally gravitated to each other. It was nice having Taeyong to go to with certain problems only another Omega can relate to. "And I decided to stop by just to see you. Is that so hard to believe?

 

The dubious eyebrow raise that Jaehyun gives him is an answer in itself.

 

"So, breakfast will be ready shortly, want to walk down with me?" Donghyuck offers instead.

 

"Sure, Little Brother. Just allow me to wash up. Meet me outside in 5 minutes?"

 

"Sure, don’t be late." Donghyuck bounds out of the bedroom and makes his way back to his own. He can hear some movement down the hall which means that Taeil has just been woken up and will be out and about soon enough. Doyoung may

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter