003

What We Must
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Na Jaemin is an interesting person.

 

Donghyuck was not sure what he expected from him... but he certainly is not it.

 

Jaemin is exceedingly kind, so much so that it makes Donghyuck a little uncomfortable. He has never had someone be so touchy with him, his own brothers merely tolerate his affection, so let alone someone that he had just met. Jaemin does not seem to mind that however, he has been grabbing Donghyuck's hand and dragging him all around the palace, has taken to hugging Donghyuck at random times, has even kissed him on the cheek.

 

Donghyuck had looked at Minyoung questioningly after Jaemin had squished his cheeks, but the queen just chuckled.

 

"You must really have a way with people Donghyuck-ah, Jaemin usually is only like this with people he is close with."

 

Donghyuck is not sure what exactly he had done to impress Jaemin so quickly, but at least Jaemin doesn't hate him. He doesn't think he could live in a palace with people that want to get rid of him.

 

Shortly after they finished lunch, Minyoung had excused herself to go speak with Donghyuck's parents, leaving Donghyuck with Jaemin. The other omega looked excited to have a chance to talk with Donghyuck and had immediately urged Donghyuck to show him around his home.

 

They converse some, Jaemin asks Donghyuck about himself and in turn Donghyuck asks about him. Donghyuck learns that Jaemin came to live with Minhyung's family in Purene when he was 10, after his parents were killed during an uprising. While Jaemin is a prince, he is not in line for the throne, so he does not have as much pressure on him and royal duties. Jaemin is quite in love with serving the people of Purene, he says that he goes to town multiple times a week and helps any way he can. Donghyuck does his own work in his kingdom, but his parents only let him go out once a month. He isn't as free as Jaemin apparently.

 

Jaemin tells describes Purene to him, all the frosty winters and the cool summers. the beautiful camellias that will be in bloom soon, he even tells Donghyuck about the frozen lake that he and his cousins like to skate on.

 

Donghyuck also learns some things about Minhyung. Jaemin says that he is very bright and talented, he is an excellent swordsman, and he excels at horseback riding. Jaemin tells him some embarrassing stories of their childhood, such as the time Minghyung almost got hypothermia from being buried in the snow.

 

Donghyuck laughs along at all of the tales and anecdotes. It is nice to hear them, it makes him think of his future mate as a young man that is not too different from Donghyuck. All Donghyuck has heard about Minhyung are his many accomplishments, or his titles, or even about the many omegas that throw themselves at him at gatherings. Since Donghyuck won't be meeting him until the ceremony, the least he can do is question his siblings who have interacted with the Alpha prince before.

 

"You know, Donghyuckie," Jaemin says to him when they have been all over the palace and the sun is setting, "I think you will be good for Minghyung. He doesn't have much fun anymore and he is always stressed. I hope that you will be able to bring back the Minhyung that I grew up with."

 

-------

 

"Are you feeling okay? You look a little out of it."

 

Jeno and Minhyung are outside, enjoying the nice weather by going for a ride. Minhyung usually is the happiest when he is riding his beloved horse and is extremely competitive, but today Minhyung did not even crack a smile. He just seems lost in his own head, has been for days. Jeno takes his duties of being the prince's knight seriously, but he takes his role as Minhyung's best friend even more so.

 

Minhyung finally looks at Jeno and sighs. “I’m sorry I haven't been much fun recently; I'm just wondering what my mother is up to. I can't imagine what she must be saying to Donghyuck."

 

Jeno laughs. "Yeah, her highness can be a little intimidating."

 

"A little? She must be scaring him to death." Minhyung sighs.

 

"Our Queen is only mean when she has to be, I can't imagine her being rude to your future mate. All she wants is to make sure that Donghyuck-ssi is going to be a capable mate and future ruler."

 

"Yes, but I cannot help but worry. I wish that I could have gone as well."

 

"I have been wondering why you did not go with your mother." Jeno says with a raised eyebrow.

 

"I could not leave my father here by himself, he is getting worse every day and I need to be here for him. I trust my mother to know what she is doing. Besides, most of what they are doing is planning for our ceremony and I do not need to be there for that.""

 

"I'm just surprised that you voluntarily stayed behind. Does Donghyuck not interest you as much as before? I thought you were quite in love with him."

 

"No, he does, r

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter