First Meeting

Tattoos

Everyone on Earth was born with a tattoo – a small tattoo on their ankle that was unique to them. Some had very basic shapes, while others had complex swirling patterns made up of bright colours.

 

When you fell in love with someone, their tattoo appeared on your body. Some people had the permanent marks covering their body, and some had none. In schools you hear children excitedly talking about how they can't wait to fall in love and get their first tattoo. In public you see people's botched attempted removal of the tattoos from the result of shameful love affairs and, in some cases, you see people with scarred tattoos in a painful attempt to remove the mark of an ex lover or a lost love one.

 

These tattoos were amazing yet somehow completely and utterly soul destroying.

 

Junhui fell in love quickly. He fell in love almost too easily. At the age of 19 he already had seven tattoos covering his body – all were simple and were easily distinguishable. It has been said that the tattoos represented people's outlooks on life; those with more basic shapes often took on everything as it happened whereas the people with beautifully swirled, bright tattoos often had strict goals for themselves – they generally had everything for the later years planned to the last detail.

 

Maybe that explains why Junhui has the permanent mark on the side of his left foot that swirls and twists around his ankle, why the various other marks that were permanently etched on to his body were almost boring to him, and why he and the other people who shared the same tattoos inevitably split up and went their separate ways.

 

Jeonghan on the other hand has never fallen in love. He was 20 and the only tattoo that was on his skin was his own. It was exquisite really – made up of bright colours and long spindly lines that rose up from his ankle to cover just under half the back of his leg. Most tattoos were confined to the ankle and the surrounding area, so a tattoo like this was extremely unusual. Large tattoos like his were difficult to come by, and therefore when people did fall in love with this angel, there were no attempts to cover it. It was too beautiful to hide. A lot of people had Jeonghan's tattoo somewhere on their body, because it was almost impossible to not love this angel with his beautiful features and amazingly wonderful personality – he was kind to everyone, even to those who for some reason hated him.

 

Jeonghan and Junhui first met on their first day of college; they had both taken the same course in psychology and because they were both late the only seats left available were the two in the very back corner; somewhere few liked to sit because it was damn near impossible to hear the professor or see the board. Their first lesson was a double; 2 hours of their quite frankly boring teacher trying to give them the basics of psychology despite a requirement of taking this class was to have done it before and get at least a B.

 

Jeonghan was diligently attempting to take notes on what the professor was saying whilst trying to ignore the boy next to him, Junhui it said on his book. It proved harder than expected for the long haired boy, Junhui was quite persistent with getting his attention. This kid, Junhui, kept poking him in the arm with his pen until Jeonghan looked at him with annoyance evident on his face.

 

“What do you want?” Jeonghan whispered harshly to the boy next to him, not taking his eyes away from the professor. “Can't you see I'm trying to work?”

 

“I'm Junhui.”

 

“I know, your book is right in front of you, unopened might I add. I suggest you start taking some notes.”

 

Before Junhui had the chance to even ask the gorgeous man next to him for his name, he had been shut down and forced to do work. However he didn't miss the fact that the angel knew his name, even if he did read it from the front of his book.

 

Junhui sighed and turned in his seat to face the front of the class. Even though he had heard the spiel before, he finally opened his book and slowly started taking notes. As it turns out, Junhui was right and what the professor droned on about for almost 2 hours is what they had learnt in the previous year, but it was in so much more detail. He didn't realise that what he had learnt last year could be so vague – especially for such a difficult course like psychology.

 

He didn't even get the chance to speak to the mysterious long-haired man again before the lecture had ended and the man had rushed off to his next class.