Inside the Apartment

The Boy at the Corner Table

Mina turned to Jaeseop.  "Anywhere?"

"That's right," he nodded, "Anywhere you want."

Mina sighed and placed her head onto the window.  She stared outside for a few minutes, watching the buildings and lights race past her.  She turned back to Jaeseop and shrugged.  "I can't think of anything."

He chuckled.  "Oh, really?"

"I guess not."

"Well, I've circled the block eight times, so I think we should figure something out soon."

Mina looked back outside and shyly asked, "Well, do you just wanna come back to my house?"

Jaeseop suddenly stopped the car in the middle of the road, making Mina jump up and immediately face him.  "What're you doing?!"

"WHY ARE YOU INVITING ME TO YOUR HOUSE?!"

Mina squinted her eyes.  "I don't know what you were thinking, but all I was thinking of doing was watching some movies."

His eyes suddenly got large.  He shrugged and gave that crooked smile he always had.  "Well, I knew that!"

She scoffed.  "Oh, sure you did."  She pointed to a road and told him to go there instead of going around the block a ninth time.  She pointed out the directions to her apartment building until they stopped right in front of a big, worn-out building in the middle of Center Street.  She and Jaeseop got out of car when she saw him gazing at the building.  "What?  You don't like my apartment?"

"No!" he smiled, walking over to her, "I just didn't know you lived in a place like this.  I thought it'd be, well..."

"What?"

"Nicer?"

She laughed.  "Hey, it's cheap and it's a roof over my head.  That's all that matters."  She walked over to the door and swung it open.  "After you, Rabbit?"

He shook his head.  "It's Cat."  They got into the building and walked up three flights of stairs, ending up on Mina's floor.  She walked over to her apartment, the third door on the left, unlocked the door, and let herself in.  With Jaeseop behind her, she raised her arms up and spun around, dropping her purse on one of the chairs.  "So, what do you think?"

Jaeseop smiled and headed toward her yellow couch.  "It's nice!  Definitely different from where I live, but I like it."

Mina walked next to Jaeseop and sat next to him.  "What do you mean?"

"Well, for one, I live with more people than you do, and two, it's never-"

"Wait, what?"  Mina giggled, then moved a little closer to him.  "How many people do you live with?"

He turned to Mina.  "Oh, you must ask.  I live with Kevin, and-"

"Driver Kevin?"

Jaeseop chuckled.  "Yes, driver Kevin.  And five other guys."

"Are you involved in a gang or something?!"

"No..."

"A frat?"

"NO!"  He chuckled, then stood up.  "We're all just... really good friends."

"So," Mina stood up, walking over to Jaeseop, "You live with six other people... in a small apartment?"

"Oh, no.  It's a little bit bigger than an apartment."

Mina left Jaeseop in the living room and walked into the kitchen.  "Ramen?" she yelled.

"Sure!"  He walked in behind her when suddenly, he heard some banging from one of the walls.  He ran towards the noise and stuck his head near the wall.  "What's that noise?"

Mina laughed.  "When you live in an old building you have... well, thin walls... so that's-"

"Don't even say it."  He shook his head, still sporting that crooked smile and holding in his laughter.  "You're disgusting."

"Hey!  You asked!  I deal with that all the time!"  Mina gave Jaeseop his cup of ramen and sat back down on the couch with her cup.  Jaeseop followed suit, sitting on the other side and slowly eating his ramen.  "So, Jaeseop, you never told me what you do for a living."

He tried speaking with the ramen in his mouth, but even he couldn't understand himself.  He swallowed his noodles and turned to Mina.  "I'm a... talent scout."

"Oh, really?"  Mina turned to him and smiled.  "Where at?"

Jaeseop sat silent for a moment.  "Just at NH Media.  Nothing major."

"No, that's really cool!"  She scooched closer to Jaeseop.  "What do you do?"

"Well, I just help the new trainees."

"How neat!"  She took another bite of her noodles.  "Well, you already know what I do for a living, so there's no point in me telling you."

He smiled, stirring his ramen, then turned to Mina.  "Do you have any family around here?"

"Nah, my dad lives down in Mokpo with my grandparents, but otherwise, I'm the only one in Seoul."  Mina set her cup on the table in front of her, then leaned back on the couch.  "What about you?"

"Mom and dad live in Seoul.  Only child, so there's no one else to bug me."

Mina chuckled, leaning toward the table and grabbing the remote.  She turned the TV on, changing it to one of the many channels she had.  "Sorry, M! Countdown is on tonight and I wanted to see it."

Jaeseop suddenly started shifting in his seat, rubbing his hands as if he were nervous about something.  Mina turned to him and smiled.  "What?  Have to go to the bathroom or something?"

"Uh... yeah," he replied, standing up, "I guess I have to do that."

She pointed to the door leading to the restroom.  "It's right over there."

Jaeseop then ran straight toward the bathroom, quickly shutting the door as he went in.  "Hurry up!  Last week, they said that Super Junior and U-Kiss were premiering new videos!"  She heard Jaeseop nervously chuckle when suddenly, her phone started vibrating in her pocket.  As she pulled it out, Ji-yoon's name and picture popped up on her phone.  She groaned, pressing the TALK button and placing the reciever to her ear.  "Yes, Ji-yoon?"

"Okay, I'm so sorry about today.  I saw what happened to the restaurant on the news!"

We were on the news...?  "Sorry?!  I was worried about you!  I thought for a second you had gotten kidnapped or something!"  She got up from the couch and walked over to the window.  "I called to see if you were okay and you never answered!"

"I was mad, okay?  I had to leave."

Mina scoffed.  "Oh, yeah?  Mad about what?"

She heard Ji-yoon sigh.  "You wouldn't understand."

"Oh, really?"

"I just... know some things that you need to know."

"And what things would that be, exactly?"

"Well, Jaeseop-"

Mina suddenly heard the bathroom door open back up and Jaeseop walked back out, his hands soaking wet.  "Do you mind getting me a towel?  I didn't wanna use the one hanging up in there.  Thought it was... you know, your bath towel."

She turned back to the window.  "Speak of the devil, I gotta go."

"Wait!  But-"

"We'll talk later."

Mina ended the call and placed her phone back into her pocket.  She ran into the bathroom, grabbing a cloth towel from one of the drawers.  "This'll help your wet hands."

Jaeseop shook his hands, trying to get some of the water off.  "So... were you talking me out there?" he jokingly asked.

"What?!"

He chuckled.  "I'm kidding!  I know I'm not much of a topic in anyone's mind."

"Oh, sure you're not."

He smiled, taking the towel and wiping the water off his hands.  The television then started to play the M!Net theme, forcing Mina back into the living room.  She plopped down on the couch, seeing Tony An announce the next video being premiered.  He animatedly yelled, "Since production of Super Junior's newest music video is on hold for technical problems, we weren't able to get the video in time.  So here's their most recent single, A-CHA, to hold you over!  And next, we'll be premiering U-Kiss's newest music video from their Japan debut!  Don't miss it!"

Mina smiled wide and clapped her hands.  "Aren't you excited, Jaeseop?  U-kiss is next!"

Jaeseop started rubbing his hands again, when he suddenly grabbed the remote and shut the television off.  He ran across the room and held it high above his head.  "Oh, yeah?  And what if you miss it?"

Mina ran to him and tried grabbing the remote, jumping as high as she could and failing to reach it.  "Jaeseop, I wanna see U-Kiss!"

"But I thought of a celebration idea while I was in the bathroom!"

She crossed her arms, making a pouty face and turning away from Jaeseop.  "But... I wanna see U-Kiss."

"I think this is a lot better than U-Kiss!"

She turned back around.  "Oh, yeah?  And how do you know?"

"Trust me.  I know things."  He walked over to the doorway and started to throw on his shoes.  Mina walked over to him and folded her arms, yet again.

"Wait, we're going right now?"

"Yeah, unless you wanna wait for them to close!"

She smirked, putting her shoes back on and grabbing her jacket.  "So, what's your big celebration idea?"

He turned around, still tying his shoes.  "Have you ever heard of Gecko's Garden?"

"Uhh..." she started nervously, "Yeah, I have?"

"Well, I hope your voice is ready!"

What?!  We're going to the karaoke bar??  You're such an idiot sometimes, Kim Jaeseop.


Chapter 5 is finally up!  I'm sorry if it's not as long as they normally are... I'm trying, promise!!  And did you notice the poster for this chapter?  Well, I started messing around with GIMP, so I started making chapter posters for this story!  I hope you like them, because I've worked real hard on them!

Thanks for commenting and subscribing, everyone!  I read all the comments, though I don't get many, and I always use them to better my writing!

Until next time,

Carly