Yesterday's Tomorrow Is Today

Yesterday's Tomorrow Is Today
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

~Yesterday's Tomorrow Is Today~

            Mei Qi stares skeptically at the shorter brunette that stands before her with an innocent smile and obvious hearts in her eyes. The blonde idly wonders if she should make a run for it but something in her gut says it's useless because this girl looks like the pursuing type. Mei Qi knows of the girl before her, the whole school does, but what she doesn't understand is why in the world is this girl seeking her out when they have never spoken once before despite being in the same class for the entire year.

            Yeoreum has an infamous reputation that attracts the attention of plenty of people. After all who wouldn't be interested in someone who's rumored to be psychic and able to predict anything with just a glance. Whether said girl is aware of her reputation or not, Mei Qi isn't sure but what Mei Qi is sure about is that Yeoreum and herself have very different philosophies.

            Mei Qi doesn't actively look for the future, she lives in the present and waits for the tomorrows to become today. Yeoreum is the complete opposite, she lives for the tomorrows that's to come and eagerly awaits for today to turn into yesterdays.

            However, it seems that none of that matters at this very moment because when Yeoreum approaches her after school with a confident greeting of, "Hi! You probably already know me but I wanted to introduce myself to you. I'm Yeoreum! And, my predictions for the day say that you're going to be my future girlfriend! So I thought we could start to get to know each other starting today. But we don't have to rush anything, I just wanted to say that I'm ready for a commitment whenever you are, Mei Qi!"

            Mei Qi is at a lost as to what and where to even begin responding. Which also brings her back to her first reaction; she should probably make a run for it. Yeoreum doesn't leave her any openings though. At least the hallway they were in was empty so no one was around to see or overhear this strange conversation.

            Mei Qi reasons that there has to be some way to dodge this situation. "Look, you seem really sweet but I think you may have me mistaken with someone else…"

            "Nope, you're definitely the one. No mistake. I guarantee it." Yeoreum nods her head with each sentence, entirely sure of herself on this, "We're meant to be. My predictions are always right."

            "I think this prediction is the exception to that always," replies Mei Qi skeptically, "No one can guarantee the future."

            Yeoreum pouts slightly but still persists stubbornly, "It's not wrong. I can prove it to you if you give me the chance."

            "There's really nothing to prove. I'm not really looking for any relationship right now." Mei Qi states straightforwardly, hoping with all her might that Yeoreum will get the hint, "I'm really busy with school, volunteering, and my part time job. I don't really have room for romance in my life at the moment."

            Yeoreum abandons her pout for a smile and replies with an optimistic, "That's okay. I understand, which is why I said I'll be ready whenever you are, for now we can just get to know each other. Why don't we meet up during lunch tomorrow and we can work on that career goal sheet we got for homework?"

            "But I don't need help to work on-"

            "From what I saw," starts Yeoreum in all seriousness, her playful demeanor having suddenly vanished momentarily, "That really wasn't the case. I insist. I'll even bring snacks~ So see you tomorrow at lunch!" Having said all that she wanted, Yeoreum smiles far too innocently and gives the blonde a quick wink before taking off in the opposite direction.

            Mei Qi can only continue to stare, completely flabbergasted, as Yeoreum skips off merrily down the hall like everything was normal with the world and that wasn't the most weirdest conversation she has ever had with another human being.

 

[]          []          []          []          []          []          []          []          []          []          []          []          []

 

            Yeoreum keeps her promise from the other day and approaches Mei Qi's desk as soon as the class is let out for lunch. The brunette carries a bag with her that Mei Qi assumes is her own lunch and stares at the blonde with a cheerful patience.

            "You're really going to have lunch with me?" questions Mei Qi in disbelief but she does reach down to the side of her desk for her own bag.

            "Of course, I've been excited for it since yesterday when I specifically told you. I brought strawberry cookies to share~" Yeoreum shakes her bag happily, "Where do you usually eat?"

            "I typically meet up with Xuan Yi and Eunseo at the benches near the school field. Aren't your friends going to wonder where you are though?" wonders Mei Qi as she does a quick scan of the nearly emptied classroom and finding no one looking expectantly for Yeoreum.

            Yeoreum shakes her head energetically, "Nope, I told them ahead of time." Her expression falls a bit as something akin to realization dawns on her features but she still makes an attempt to hold a smile, "Unless I'm actually really bothering you then I can always go find them."

            Mei Qi doesn't even consider the option to turn Yeoreum down, please, she's not heartless. Besides, one lunch period to sit together and sort everything out between them should be more time saving than avoiding Yeoreum all over this campus. After Yeoreum realizes that Mei Qi isn't the one for her then everything should go back to normal and they'll each go their own way. "No, you're not a bother. I just didn't want to take up all your time from your own group of friends. Let's go have lunch."

            Yeoreum brightens considerably and bounds towards the door just as Mei Qi gets up to lead the way. Yeoreum holds the door open for the blonde but just as Mei Qi is about to step through, Yeoreum pipes up with a reminder Mei Qi hoped the younger forgot about.

            "Oh don't forget the career choice assignment. I have mine in my bag so we can work on it."

            Mei Qi quirks her lips upwards politely and waves it off, "It's okay. This is our first time hanging out together, don't you want to spend the time having fun rather than doing some boring assignment? Besides we still have plenty of time to complete it."

            Before Yeoreum could say otherwise about the topic, Mei Qi was out the door and speeding down the hallway, leaving the younger to follow after as the only option left. As Yeoreum caught up to Mei Qi's pace, she let's the subject drop but it's definitely not going to be the last time she brings it up.

            When they cross the school's field and approach the table benches, Mei Qi easily spots her two friends chatting amiably with each other and easily slips into a seat at the table across from them with Yeoreum.

            They exchange friendly greetings and introductions but Mei Qi doesn't miss the way that her friends' eyes twinkle with a sort of excitement at meeting Yeoreum for the first time which gives her a rather wary feeling.

            Yeoreum, on the other hand, seems to not have noticed instead she chooses to bring out her box of strawberry cookies to share with everyone. "I brought some snacks if anyone would like some."

            Eunseo reaches for one first, happy to partake in the sweets, "Strawberry cookies are my favorite. Although you might have already known given your abilities and all- OW! Xuan Yi!"

            The brunette turns to glare at her companion beside her for elbowing her rather hard in the side. Xuan Yi returns the look with a barely restrained smile, "Yeoreum came here to enjoy lunch with us and more specifically Mei Qi. There is no need to bring up things like that, unless Yeoreum wants to bring it up herself, no matter how curious you are."

            "But-" Eunseo looks imploringly at Xuan Yi, who's restrained smile is starting to look less amused.

            "Oh I don't mind, really," interjects Yeoreum, which immediately gains her all the attention at the bench. Before continuing what she has to say though, Yeoreum places the lid back on the box of strawberry cookies she brought. "But first, you guys might want to cover your lunches for a few seconds and hurry."

            Eunseo, interested in finally having her curiosity sated does as Yeoreum requested, and Xuan Yi does the same without question figuring the youngest will probably provide some decent reason for it.

            Mei Qi, reacts a bit slower, choosing to shoot a confused look at Yeoreum, "But why-"

            "It's going to rain flowers," answers Yeoreum simply as if it was the most obvious thing in the world. Three pairs of eyes stare with the same questioning look at the youngest who only points upwards at the tree providing shade for them. The three look upwards and not even two seconds later it actually begins to rain flowers.

            Well, rain may be a bit of an understatement, it was more like something had shook the tree violently causing a sudden plop of numerous small white flowers to come down all at once littering their entire bench area covering their hair, laps, and the tops of their lunch boxes.

            Yeoreum starts brushing the flowers from the tree off of herself first as Eunseo, Xuan Yi, and Mei Qi sit shock still in disbelief. It takes awhile but Eunseo gathers her bearings first and breaks the initial surprise trance her other two close friends were in with her outburst.

            "She's really psychic!" Eunseo whisper screams in awe to which Xuan Yi has to cover part of her ear in order not to suffer irreparable eardrum damage, "How did you know the flowers were going to fall like that? Did you see it in a vision?"

            Yeoreum laughs it off as if her prediction was nothing out of the ordinary, "Something like that."

            "That's so cool. Seeing the future must be so handy," grins Eunseo as she pushes the flowers that fell on her off. Eunseo suddenly pauses as an idea hits her and she reaches across the table to grab Yeoreum by the shoulders, her expression set seriously, "Yeoreum… I know we haven't known each other long…"

            Mei Qi shoots Eunseo a look that mirrors Xuan Yi's aggravated one.

            Eunseo pays no mind to her friends disapproving looks, instead placing her focus on the youngest as she continues bluntly, "But would you happen to be able to see into next week for the answers to our math quiz?"

            Xuan Yi drags her hand down her face in exasperation while Mei Qi shakes her head.

            Yeoreum finds it entirely amusing. The youngest pats Eunseo's hands and smiles apologetically, "Sorry but if I was able to see the answers to quizzes I wouldn't be struggling with the class either."

            Hearing the disappointing answer, Eunseo hangs her head in defeat before wailing, "Damn! What am I supposed to do now? That test will be the death of me!"

            "You can always study you know. With me. At my house. Like we originally planned to do for a week," mutters Xuan Yi as she brushes the flowers off her lunchbox before opening it and resuming eating, "You're terrible at cheating anyways, even if Yeoreum gave you the answers you’d get caught."

            "Oh right and you're like a math genius," Eunseo perks up and throws an arm around Xuan Yi comfortably, ignoring the last jab at her test cheating skills, "You're the best friend ever. I could kiss you."

            Xuan Yi's cheeks pinken noticeably as she struggles to keep a straight face, "Please don't."

            Eunseo shrugs and pulls Xuan Yi into a one armed hug regardless while going back to her own lunch.

            Mei Qi turns to Yeoreum who watched the entire exchange with surprise on her features. Feeling the need to say something, Mei Qi gives a sheepish laugh, "I am so sorry for my friends. I forgot they were a whole different level of weird around new people."

            "We're right here still," protests Eunseo and Xuan Yi in indignant unison.

            Yeoreum giggles in response, "I don't mind. Your friends are fun to be around. I'm happy to get to know them. We should finish our lunch too. Let's share." Yeoreum pushes her lunch box closer to Mei Qi.

            "Oh no, I already have my own-" Mei Qi looks down at her lunchbox that's entirely buried in flowers from the tree, "…Lunch…"

            "I don’t think those flowers are edible…" points out Yeoreum as she makes another attempt to scoot her lunch closer to Mei Qi, "I promise my lunch is tasty."

            "...Thank you," replies Mei Qi as she relents to the offer after closing her inedible lunch, "I'll be sure to return the favor."

            Yeoreum beams at the promise, "Does this prove how accurate my predictions are to you now?"

            The prediction could have been a product of pure luck but it was so out of the blue and with such good timing that even logical Mei Qi couldn't deny what she witnessed with Yeoreum's abilities. It was enough to plant a seed of doubt within her mind that Yeoreum really could predict the future, which in turn also meant that Yeoreum and herself really were meant to be, but Mei Qi isn't that easy. Maybe just a little longer with Yeoreum won't be too bad, after all, Mei Qi rather enjoys the younger's kind company. Mei Qi shakes her head with a soft grin, "You're going to need a little more hardcore evidence than just that to convince me."

            Yeoreum nods, content with Mei Qi no longer brushing off the possibilities.

            They eat, brushing shoulders occasionally but neither minded in the slightest as a cool breeze picks up to brush the rest of the remaining white flowers on the table away.

 

[]          []          []          []          []          []          []          []          []          []          []          []          []

 

            Mei Qi eventually gets used to Yeoreum's constant presence. The brunette, always curious, makes every effort to get to know Mei Qi better and takes the time to hang out with the older as often as she can but with Mei Qi's busy schedule it's sometimes difficult so Yeoreum tends to tag along a lot.

            This time Mei Qi has to go to her part time job at the book store to work her shift after school. Thankfully Mei Qi knows the owner personally so she's able to have shortened hours which also works in Yeoreum's favor since she wanted to visit a sweets shop with Mei Qi before going home for the day.

            "You can stay near the little break area until I finish my shift and then we can head to the shop you wanted to stop by," says Mei Qi as she grabs her work vest from the hook in the employees' lounge.

            "Okay," nods Yeoreum in understanding before asking something Mei Qi has been avoiding, "When we get to the sweets shop, do you want to work on that career assignment from class?"

            Mei Qi holds back a grimace and avoids Yeoreum's curious gaze, "That's not due until the last week of the semester. There's still time to get to that later."

            "But the earlier the better," counters Yeoreum.

            Mei Qi sighs as she tries to think of some sort of excuse to dodge the assignment. Avoidance isn't the key but really she doesn't want to deal with it at the moment when there's more pressing matters at hand in the present. Like her coworkers, Exy and Seola, arguing at the little break area instead of working like they're supposed to be.

            "Uh, who’s watching the register if you're both in here?" questions Mei Qi while Yeoreum tries to peer over Seola's shoulders to see the cards they were playing with.

            "Oh don't worry it's been a slow day today," waves off Seola nonchalantly before resuming her card game with Exy, "Do you have a wheel of fortune?"

            "No. Go fish," replies the other straightforwardly with a poker face expression.

            Seola crinkles her brows in frustration, "Seriously? Again? Are you lying? Show me your cards."

            Exy breaks her blank expression to glare at the other, "No way! I'm not lying and I'm not showing you my cards. I don't have it, now go fish or go forfeit."

            "Like hell I would forfeit-"

            "…Um, those aren't cards to play go fish with…" interrupts Yeoreum after taking a closer inspection of the cards in Seola's hand, "They're tarot cards."

            "What?" Seola and Exy stop their argument to look at the newcomer with confused looks, "Wait, who are you?"

            Mei Qi steps in to lift the deck in between them over to spread the cards across the table to confirm Yeoreum's words, "Yeoreum is my friend from school. And she's right, you guys were playing go fish with tarot cards."

            "Explains why we couldn't get matches then," grumbles Seola as she drops the cards in her hand onto the table with the rest of the pile, "Well this game was a bust."

            Exy follows suit, adding her handful of cards to the pile. "I told you these cards looked weird when we started playing."

            Seola huffs in annoyance, "How was I supposed to know they were tarot cards when they were in the toy section of the book store next to the card packs?"

            "I'm pretty sure you're also not supposed to take merchandise to play with while we're supposed to be working," adds in Mei Qi.

            "We'll put it back," waves off Seola as she gets ready to organize the pile to shove back into the box.

            "Oh wait! I know how to read these," announces Yeoreum suddenly as she steps up to the table to assemble the cards back into a neat stack again, "It's been a while but why don't you give it a try Mei Qi?" Yeoreum looks at the older with a sparkle of hope and Mei Qi just can't find it in herself to refuse so she glances at Exy and Seola for help but the two only stare back with a shrug.

            "Go for it, we'll head back to man the register. Don't forget to put the cards back afterwards," replies Exy as she stands and heads towards the front of the store with Seola leaving Mei Qi and Yeoreum alone at the table.

            "Please Mei Qi? One reading, I promise I'll be as accurate as ever," Yeoreum sticks out her bottom lip and clasps her hands in front of her begging Mei Qi to go along with it.

            Mei Qi definitely can't say no now, "How does it work?"

            Yeoreum smiles widely at hearing Mei Qi's question, "You think of a question, then pick six cards from the deck, and from the order that you pick I interpret what the answer to your question is."

            "So any question?" wonders Mei Qi as she takes a seat across from Yeoreum who's already spreading the deck out in preparation for Mei Qi to choose from it.

            "Any question at all," answers Yeoreum confidently, "You can think it or say it out loud either way is fine but you have to focus on it when you're choosing the cards."

            There are a lot of things Mei Qi could ask, simple things that doesn't play any major significance to her, something that doesn't touch upon her uncertainties and keeps her grounded in the present where she likes to stay but the way Yeoreum looks at her so expectantly makes Mei Qi want to believe that there's more than the now they're living in.

            Mei Qi looks Yeoreum in the eye as she asks her question, "…How does my future look for me?"

            Yeoreum is surprised, not expecting Mei Qi to touch upon that subject of all the ones she could have asked about. The brunette points to the cards spread before them on the table, "Now focus on only that question as you pick six cards. Point to them and I'll take them out for you so I can keep them in order."

            There's an exhilarating feeling building in Mei Qi's chest as she looks over her many choices. Maybe it's just the odd atmosphere that's appeared between her and Yeoreum, who seems to be taking this very seriously, but Mei Qi can't deny the way that her curiosity out burns her uncertainty with the outcome. She wants to know, for once, she actually wants to know more than just the present. Any other day and Mei Qi would scoff it off and find the entire thing utterly unappealing, calling it nothing more than just a game or a party trick but with Yeoreum it feels more than that.

            She

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter