Chapter 2

The Lieutenant General
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Author's Note:

I wanted to take a moment to say that I know that it’s been over two years since my last post on my story "Lieutenant General." A lot of things happened including work, college, and life in general. I ended up taking a long hiatus in writing. However, I am back with my passion for writing fully reignited. I hope you continue to enjoy this story, as I truly had an amazing time writing this chapter. I can’t wait to continue this story as I love spartace! Anyway, thank you and please enjoy the read.

 

 

 

           The wall casts a shadow over the compound as the sun begins to set. Ji Hyo walks towards the enormous barrier that divides her battalion from enemy and friendly lines. Her fingers glide along the melded rock, slowly dislodging any loose remnants. Examining the dust on her skin, she blows the helpless particles into the air. The wall stands powerful and bold, nearly taking the sky hostage with its prowess. Ignoring the unsettling feeling in the pit of her stomach, Lieutenant Colonel Song Ji Hyo leads her battalion to the barrack which will soon be their new home. 

           The walk to the dorms was long and uncomfortable. The eyes of those around them feasted on their flesh as if they had been starving. Reaching their destination, Ji Hyo releases her battalion, sticking true to her previous promise of allowing them the night off. Watching until all her soldiers enter their rooms, she remains outside with her second in command and close friend Major Lee Dong Wook. However, instead of retiring to her room, she looks at Dong Wook with a mischievous glint in her eye. 

           “Hey Dong Wook, how about we pay the respected Jong Kook a surprise visit?” Ji Hyo grins. “He was obviously displeased with our transfer here. Let’s go and rub in the fact that not only are we here to stay, but our presence will be known.”

           “My thoughts exactly,” Major Lee Dong Wook smirks.

           “Let’s change into casual wear and meet back here in five minutes,” Ji Hyo says.

           “Yes, maam.”

           “Yah. How many times have I told you to call me Ji Hyo when we’re off duty. We are the same age after all.”

           “Sorry sorry. I forget,” Dong Wook says with a soft smile. “See you in five Ji Hyo.”

           “That’s better,” Ji Hyo gleams. 

           As Dong Wook turns to head towards his room Ji Hyo catches a glimpse of his cheeks. They’re a rosy pink. 

           “I wonder if he’s sunburnt,” Ji Hyo thinks to herself. 

           Entering her room, Ji Hyo sees her duffle bag placed neatly on her bed. One of the perks of being a Lieutenant Colonel is her battalion carries her belongings for her. Ji Hyo quickly grabs a casual tee shirt and army pants to change into. Glancing around the room, the interior is pretty basic. A twin bed, dresser, night stand, and a personal bathroom. After changing, Ji Hyo steps into the bathroom to look at herself in the mirror. Looking at her reflection she remembers Lieutenant General Jong Kook’s words, “You don’t live up to the rumors. Here I was expecting some sort of goddess.” Ji Hyo unconsciously pokes the dark circles under her eyes, as feelings of self consciousness about her features begin to surface. However, as quickly as those insecurities came, they flee for cover as she snaps her head up. 

           “Why do I care about what that jerk said about my looks?” Ji Hyo exclaims. 

           Ji Hyo storms out of her room, upset that she let such a comment affect her mood. Blinded by her emotions she slams right into Dong Wook.

           “Whoa. Are you alright,” Dong Wook asks worriedly, his hands resting on her shoulders as he attempts to balance her.

           Blinking rapidly and stabilizing herself, Ji Hyo finds her face right against Dong Wook’s chest. Jumping back, and knocking Dong Wook’s hands off her shoulders she stands still and quietly. 

           “Yeah, I’m fine. Sorry I was spacing out,” Ji Hyo says. 

           Looking up, Ji Hyo looks at the man before her. It’s the first time she’s been in such close proximity to Dong Wook that it caught her off guard. Taking a closer look she notices his strong arms and body, his face is handsome with soft eyes. 

           “Ji Hyo… Are you checking me out?” Dong Wook asks hesitantly, bringing Ji Hyo out of her own thoughts.

           “Yeah. And I must say, not bad Dong Wook, not bad,” Ji Hyo nods in approval. “You’re going to make some girl very happy in the future.”

           Turning to head towards the door, Dong Wook’s face is out of Ji Hyo’s view. His cheeks burn crimson as he lifts his forearm in attempt to hide his burning flesh. 

           “Now let’s go find our prey, Mr. Jong Kook,” Ji Hyo says mischievously, looking back towards Dong Wook.

           Dong Wook tries to walk past Ji Hyo, his cheeks still red and flushed. But before he can move, Ji Hyo pulls down his arm revealing his crimson face to the world.

           “I knew it. I saw your cheeks earlier and they were just as red. You’re sunburnt!” Ji Hyo laughs. “How many times have I told you to wear sunscreen.”

           Letting go of his arm, Ji Hyo once again heads towards the door of the barracks, 

           “Haha. Yeah. I am sunburnt,” Dong Wook laughs awkwardly, following Ji Hyo to the door.

           Ji Hyo and Dong Wook exit the base and breathe in the fresh air. 

           “It’s nice here,” Ji Hyo admits.

           They begin their journey through the base. With their barracks located at the far back corner of the base, they use this as an opportunity to explore their new home. They’re surrounded by four large walls in the shape of a square, each side measuring two miles. Walking past the remaining barracks, cafeteria, and gymnasium they realize due to the enormity of the base, there’s no way they will simply run into Lieutenant General Jong Kook. Scanning the vicinity, Ji Hyo looks for someone to inquire about the whereabouts of their prey. Spotting a cadet, Ji Hyo waves and calls their attention.

           “Hello, I’m Lieutenant Colonel Song Ji Hyo. I was wondering if you could tell me where I can find Lieutenant General Jong Kook. I need to discuss an urgent matter with him,” Ji Hyo says charmingly.

           “Oh. He’s at the training grounds,” the cadet stutters, her beauty claiming another victim.

           “And where is that? Today is our first day at this base.”

           “It’s about half a mile down this trail,” the cadet says nervously.

           “Thank you,” Ji Hyo beams.

           “Ah. No problem!” The boy says bashfully.

           Ji Hyo smiles at the boy’s reaction. 

           “You’re free to go,” Dong Wook says. 

           “Oh ok. Thank you,” the cadet says, running along.

           “I actually saw hearts in his eyes,” Dong Wook says, slightly annoyed.

           “The curse of the beautiful,” Ji Hyo exclaims. 

           Dong Wook smiles softly as they walk in the direction pointed by the cadet. They soon come upon the training grounds. Before them is a massive hanger with large doors and windows. This location is dedicated to physical combat and sparring trainin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter