Chapter 1

The Lieutenant General
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

          A thick blanket of fog lies closely against the icy water sloshing against the ship. The morning air unmercifully cuts through the jackets of the soldiers awaiting deployment. Finalizing the count of her battalion, Lieutenant Colonel Song Ji Hyo commands her soldiers to stand at ease. The sound of her battalion’s voices reverberate through the ship, shaking any clusters of ice to their demise. Noticing the eyes before her strain to focus on something in the distance, she follow suit to see that just ahead of them is ROK2 - Military Base. ROK2 is the largest military base in South Korea, home to more than 5,000 soldiers and officers. She scans the tremendous walls surrounding the base, impressed her new home is so heavily guarded. 

          “Attention,” Lieutenant Colonel Song Ji Hyo calls.

          The highly skilled and loyal battalion move in unison, their arms strong against their sides and chins up with pride.

          “As you can see, we are about to arrive at ROK2 - Military Base. This will be our home for the next six months. Since our transfer was decided quite hastily, this will most likely result in a strain in resources and space. However, I know this won’t be an issue since we are adaptable and efficient in whatever we do. Not that I’m bragging or anything,” Ji Hyo says, causing smiles throughout her ranks.

          “However, I do have some news that I know some of you aren’t going to like, but staying true to my pact to be completely honest with you all, I have to say that our time at ROK2 remains inconclusive. We may be here for only a month or we may stay for a year. Our time here will depend on where the General requires our skills. I will let you know once I receive anymore information regarding the length of our stay. As for the purpose of our transfer, we are to set an example to the privates and cadets training at this base. In addition to that, we are going to provide training in firearms and sharp shooting, since that is our specialty. If anyone has any questions do not hesitate to ask. Since we’ve had a long journey, I’m giving everyone the day off to settle into your new barracks. We will meet again at 06:00 hours tomorrow. And if anyone drinks… you better ask me to join,” Ji Hyo threatens. 

          “You know no one would dare not to invite you if they were going to drink,” Captain Cheon Seong Moon chimes.

          The battalion nods and cheers causing Lieutenant Colonel Ji Hyo to stop in her tracks.

          “Did you just speak out of turn Captain,” Ji Hyo says sharply.

          Everyone freezes, as the atmosphere turns thick. 

          “I apologize,” Captain Cheon Seong Moon yells, eyes down.

          “Do you think that since you’re my younger brother you can say whatever you want,” Ji Hyo says, voice escalating.

          “No, ma’am!”

          “Give me twenty.”

          Captain Cheon Seong Moon drops down to the floor, arms bending furiously to complete the twenty push ups. Before he can complete the set, Lieutenant Colonel Ji Hyo bursts into laughter. The battalion eyes their Lieutenant Colonel with confusion.

          “I only made him do push ups because he looked at me funny,” Lieutenant Ji Hyo confesses.

          “Lieutenant Colonel Ji Hyo!” Captain Cheon Seong Mun shouts jumping from the floor.

          “What? I technically released you all for the day, but you are the one who decided to do the push ups,” Ji Hyo shrugs.

          “You’re my commanding officer, how could I disobey your orders?” Captain Cheon Seong Mun asks.

          “Hm. You’re right. Good point,” Ji Hyo says.

          The battalion, unsure of whether to laugh or remain silent, look to each other for answers.

          “Lieutenant Colonel, permission to speak?” Major Lee Dong Wook asks. 

          “Yes, my second in command, what would you like to say,?” Ji Hyo says.

          “I think I’m speaking for the entire battalion, but whenever it comes to your brother, your actions are quite strange. Do you want us to laugh with you or take his punishments to heart and learn from his mistakes?” Major Lee Dong Wook asks.

          “I see the confusion. I guess the lesson here today is to be happy you weren’t born as my younger brother because no matter where we are or what rank I am, I will always make time to torment him,” Lieutenant Ji Hyo smiles.

          The battalion laughs and cries for Captain Cheon Seong Mun.

          “Stay strong hyung,” A few privates shout.

          “Anyway, before we were so rudely interrupted,” Ji Hyo says eyeing her younger brother. “Everyone enjoy your day off and I’ll see you guys later tomorrow. Once I thank the Admiral for allowing us passage on his ship we will standby for departure. According to my last update, we should arrive in ten minutes. Everybody be ready.”

          Although Lieutenant Colonel Ji Hyo is famous for her beautiful looks and mel

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter