Dear Future Husband

Dear Future Husband

DONGHYUCK 

  

"Please, Donghyuck, give me a chance," Mark clings onto me as I try to eat my lunch. 

 

"Come on Mark," I push him away. "Do you even know how hard it is to make me happy? I prefer keeping you as a friend."

 

"I can handle it," I feel really bad seeing him begging me like this. 

 

However, I know I'm very hard to please. Everyone say so and you can ask all my ex-es. They'll vouch for me. When I'm dating someone, I expect the other person to be absolutely perfect. It's a bad habit but I can't really change who I am. 

 

Mark is a close friend so I'm afraid that by dating him, we'll stop being friend if it end badly. That's exactly what I told him.

 

"What make you think it won't end well?" Mark stares at me with determination in his eyes. "I will your future husband."

 

I thought over it for a long minute before I gave up. "Fine, I'll date you."

 

Mark suddenly jump up and yell in excitement. Everyone in the cafeteria stop what they're doing and stare at him. "Donghyuck will be my boyfriend. YEAH!"

 

He was a bit too excited and he ran around the cafeteria, yelling the same thing. Jeno and Renjun have to subdue him while I hide my face in embarrassment. Chenle just pat my back in sympathy, since Renjun did the same thing when they start dating. Jaemin just sat across from me and laugh.

 

That's how the relationship start during my first year of high school. Mark stay true to his words. He try his very best to please me to the best of his ability. Here's a few things he'll need to know if he want to be my one and only all my life.

 

Mark take me out on dates almost once every other weeks. Sometimes, it's a simple walk in the park and other times, it's a visit to the amusement park. One time, I told him about a new tiger baby being born in the local zoo and he got ticket for us a week later. 

 

Also, I'm not hardcore about the one month anniversary but Mark still give me gifts. On our first moth anniversary, he show up at school with a huge teddy bear. 

 

"Mark, what are you doing?" My face turn red as he struggles to carry the bear that's twice as big as he is toward me.

 

"Happy one month anniversary, babe," Mark grins cheekily.

 

I had to call my cousins, Taeil and Doyoung, to help me bring the bear home. They have a truck to carry that bear. 

 

The bear wasn't the most ridiculous gift. During the sixth month anniversary, Mark reserved a table at a local French restaurant. Keep in mind that Mark wasn't rich or have a lot of moneys, he's just normal. Jaemin and Chenle joke around and say he sold his kidney to buy me that dinner. I laugh but I kinda thought the same thing at the time. Later on, I found out he save his allowance for almost five months straight.

 

It kinda pull on my heartstrings a bit knowing that he does this much to make me happy. I try to reciprocate it by doing something nice for him. Mark's face had the biggest smile when I first cook him dinner. It wasn't much beside fried eggs with rice and a little seasoning. Mark wouldn't stop complementing me the whole night.

 

"Donghyuck, this is my favorite dish ever," Mark stuff his face. It's make him look a cute chipmunk. 

 

"You're exaggerating," I scoff. "This is the only thing I can make anyway."

 

"That's fine," He smile widely. "I'll take care of you when we get marry."

 

At that time, I thought he was ridiculous. What kind of high school student think about marriage? However, I knew how serious he was when I visit his house to find his mom teaching him how to cook. All of our friends know Mark is a hazard in the kitchen. I decided at that time that I was glad I gave him a chance.

 

It wasn't the only time Mark was mature...

 

"So what do we need to get for groceries?" I ask as I pushes the cart into the aisle of ramen.

 

"Don't worry, I know where everything is," He looks over the list in his hand and pull the cart along with him.

 

We went to the vegetables aisle and he pick everything up. Next, we got some fruits. While I look at the prices, Mark squeeze oranges. Who know how to tell those things apart? Anyway, I picked up some apple because I wanted to make some apple pie. Mark say he like them once so I want to learn how to make it.

 

The apple pie was a disaster. Not only I burn the crust but the apple become too soggy to be consider even a one star rating. Of course, Mark came over the same day I was practicing and saw the ruin pie. Before I can stop him, he already have a fork in hand.

 

"Wait, don't eat that!" Too late. As he chew, I wait nervously for the evaluation. "It's good babe. I love it."

 

"Don't lie, I know I burnt the pie," I smack his back, hoping he'll spit it out so he won't get food poisoning. "Spit it out right now!"

 

"Now way," He ate another big chunk and ran away from me. I end up chasing him around my house with a trash bag, hoping he might vomit. At least that's better than food poisoning. Of course, eating and running didn't mix so Mark got a stomachache later that day. Being the awesome person I am, I took care of him and baby him.

 

After that day, Mark got more bolder. He would fake sick so I would baby him. His favorite position is his head on my lap as we watch cartoon as he overcome his "sickness". I didn't say anything because I might like to baby him a bit... Forget I ever say that.

 

Anyway, graduation rolls around and Mark got accepted into the same university as me, cliche I know. However, we had different major. I'm bioengineering while he majoring in sociology and foreign languages. Of course, being college students, we spend less time together. Mark still try his best to make me happy, as he promise, but I also lower my standard a bit to make life easier for him.

 

"Babe, I so sorry but I can't take you out today cuase I got that huge midterm tomorrow," Mark explains over the phone.

 

"It's fine," I reassure him. "I'll just hang out with my dorm mate. Good luck on your exam. Love you."

 

"I promise I'll make it up," He sounds really stress and tire. 

 

"I say don't worry about it. Focus on your exam."

 

After hanging up, I just sat on my bed and stare at the wall. This feeling is strange. Every since I dated Mark, I was never actually alone, physically or mentally. It's not bad but it feel weird, like something should be here, next to me. Is this what missing someone feel like? 

 

Now, please don't think that Mark put up with all of my shenanigans. He had his limits too. We do get into arguments occasionally, like any other couples. Admittedly, most of the arguments were my fault. However, Mark apologized first, then when I finally see my error, I apologize to him. 

 

"I saw you looking at her," I angrily walk into my dorm. 

 

"Babe, I didn't," Mark followed me behind. Luckily, my roommate is visiting his family this weekend.

 

"I saw you with my own two eyes," I roughly sat down on my bed. "I saw you checking her out Mark."

 

"Ok, fine, I'm sorry," He sat down next to me and try to hug me. "I won't do it again."

 

"Eww, get away from me," I push him away. However, before he stood up, I yell at him again. "Get over here."

 

I grip his shirt adn held it up to my nose. "Damn it, you smell like a miracle."

 

Anyway, that was awkward. Yes, I have a thing for Mark's body odor. What do yu expect? The guy do smell like a miracle. 

 

I know I know, this is the part you're waiting for. Our lives. Yes, Mark and I did have before but it was after we graduated. Actually, it was the night of graduation too. I finally let him get to home run. Now, don't think I'm a hoe cause I'm not. Mark actually took my ity and vice versa. Anyway, I better talk about something else before you readers think too much.

 

There's really nothing else to say. Mark's a super sweet guy and he really try his best to make me happy, like he promise. There are little things about him I also put up too. He would always sleep on the right side of the bed, so I uave to sleep on the left side. He doesn't have a dirty mind but once in a while, Mark has to throw in a "That's what she said" joke, especially when I'm talking about big eggplants. Basically, he's a real classy guy.

 

"Babe, you ready?" Mark yells from downstair.

 

"I'm good," I skip down down the stairs.

 

Today is our seventh anniversary as well as Mark getting his pHd in sociology. We can eat at his favorite restaurant. I made everything perfect so that mean I pay for the meal and drive there. Mark work his off so he deserve this.

 

"Hi, reservation for Kim Donghyuck," I told the waitress and she smile and lead us to the reserve table by the window.

 

After we order, a surprise come up. "Oh my gosh, Mark, Donghyuck, I haven't seen you guys in months."

 

Jaemin and Jeno just happen to be at the table near us. Everyone in our high school group kept in contact but everyone is busy so it's not rare that we don't talk in months. We catch up with them for a while until our foods came.

 

"Do you like it?" I ask. "The meat here is premium and is the best in the country."

 

"I would still prefer your cooking," Mark said sweetly.

 

"Oh no, the last time I make anything, you got a stomachache," I reply. "Never stepping into the kitchen."

 

"But then, who's gonna make my breakfast?"

 

"Fine."

 

"Thanks for staying with me all these years Donghyuck," Mark suddenly said. He got deep really fast. "The chance that you gave me open up a whole new world and now, I couldn't possibly think of what happen if you would have said no back then."

 

"Oh my gosh Mark," I laugh. "Don't get sentimental with me right now. I'm gonna cry."

 

"I'm just telling you how I feel," He said back. "The past seven years, we supported each other through colleges, family problems, and other s and that mean a lot to me. I want to be with you forever."

 

"Why does it feel like you are gonna propose to me right now?" I stare at him suspiciously. "Don't tell me you're gonna do the cliche thing and get on your knee and held out a ring?"

 

"No no no no no, of course now," Mark slightly laugh. "I'm not proposing right now."

 

"Good," I suddenly got off my chair and got on one knee. "Because, Lee Mark, I would like to ask you to be my husband. You know I hate cliche but I know you love them, so allow me to do the most cliche thing in the world. We've been dating for seven years and those were some of the best years of my life. Notice I say some because I know, if you say yes, every years from this point onward, will be the best years of my life. What do you say?"

 

...

 

...

 

...

 

...

 

...

 

...

 

...

 

...

 

...

 

...

 

...

 

...

 

...

 

...

 

"Yes."


 

Warning: Please consult your medical providers, the author of this story, or your friend who is just as addicted to kpop as you if you feel increase in heart rate after reading this one-shot. Also, see a dentist in case of cavity from the sweetness in this fanfiction. 

 

I hope you are still alive. Cuz I'm dead from writing this.

 

FIGHTING!!!