Final

11:59

"That must've hurt." a shy voice had remarked as Mingyu fell face flat onto the cold playground snow. His face had turned in the direction of the sound with a look of annoyance on his face. "Do you really have to rub it in?" he asked, quickly trying to get up and failing. "My name's Wonwoo, and let me help you." the other male smiled as he extended his hand.

It started as a snowy december day, a few hour before Christmas. Mingyu was out looking for a nice place to order takeout chicken from. To his disappointment, most of the stores were closed. He tried searching far and wide, which meant he tried searching a few blocks from his regular place, but was defeated by sheer bad luck. Accepting his demise, he gloomily dragged his feet back to a nearby park.

His feet were heavy. Mingyu specially wanted chicken tonight. This was his first time celebrating Christmas alone, with his flatmates off on an overseas trip and his family in their province. There was a gaping void in his heart that could only be solved by his favourite food, and only major food group. His eyes had caught sight of a vacant bench and almost immediately forced his lanky body toward it. In his daze, he wasn't able to notice a tree root blocking his way. Lo an behold, his entire being was brought down onto the cold, hard snow.

"Today is really not my day." he whispered to himself as he lay for a few more moments on the snow, before taking up the stranger's offer. "I'm Mingyu. Thanks." the boy said as he tied himself up, patting off the excess snow on his body and proceeding to sit on the park bench that he had previously wanted to sit down on before he met his snowy demise. The other male looked at Mingyu with interested eyes, eventually chuckling at him. "What are you laughing at?" Mingyu cocked his eyebrow at Wonwoo, who was glowing pink due to the cold and his fit of laughter. "Nothing, it's just... commonly people would laugh and brush the whole thing off. But, here you are, still trying to redeem your image by trying to sit cooly on a wet park bench." scratching his nape, Wonwoo cooly explained. The taller's expression suddenly contorted into an inexplainable discomfort, feeling the chill from his now wet pants and panicking. He quickly stood up and tried to pat out the water from his pants, shooting sheepish looks at Wonwoo as he did.

After a few minutes of trying to calm Mingyu down and Wonwoo dabbing tissue on the other's bollocks, Mingyu's pants had almost dried and a sigh escaped from his lips. "I don't think this day can get any worse." he said, heaving another heavy sigh as he sat on the dry part of the same bench. "How bad could one's day be on almost Christmas eve?" Wonwoo asked, sitting next to him. "I mean, I am a stranger and for all you know I might be plotting to kill you the next minute, but I'm all ears." he added as he faced Mingyu.

Mingyu had started explaining his situation, from his losing battle with chicken and until his current situation. "That's a total bummer, and quite coincidentially I'm spending this Christmas alone, too." he smiled softly, whilst looking at the ground. Mingyu had stolen a quick glance at his smartphone, the clock reading out 11:59 PM. "I guess, we technically won't be alone now." he said, extending his hand out to Wonwoo. The face of the latter had suddenly lit up, smiling back at Mingyu. "Well, that is true. Merry christmas." he said enthusiastically, taking his new found friend's hand, and shaking it. "Merry christmas." Mingyu replied, smiling back.