Prologue

In Favour Of
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“You better not mess this up miss, your father is counting on you to bring in a man by the time you turn nineteen” I idly started out to the lake that was littered with lush green lily pads, delicate pink flowers had floated from a nearby blossom tree and had taken rest on the water, swans also circled the centre elegantly, their pure feathers quite a contrast to the countryside colours that resided around them “Ki Eri are you listening to me? This is the sixth man that has implored to get the chance to sir some emotion within you” 

“And if he's anything like the rest I shall walk out of his house and stomp my heel into the heart of his freshly bloomed lilies like I did with the last one” my lips pulled up at the corner slightly, my eyes looking to the man who sat across from me in this carriage, he was my matchmaker if you will, I was hoping he would have given up on me on his fifth try “I wonder if this man prefers peonies in his garden”

I withdrew my oncoming laugher as he held a disapproving scowl, his hands in tight little fists that sat on his lap, I raised my eyebrow “This is your last chance, I can't help you again after this” he says this regretfully as the carriage jolts across a bump in the road; as if I ever asked for his assistance in this way in the first place. 

I knew how much this meant to my family, but I would not settle for some pompous bigot who calls their own cooks and staff slaves, my father needs to secure a deal with one of these families, hoping that marrying me off to one of their sons will help birth some sort of business proposal. 

I was his only daughter, and I was known for my unconventional ways of acting around wealthier guests who intended on opening their purse and showing it off at every opportunity, many also held distaste for how I interacted with the staff, I was very much living the wrong life; I would swap my place here for a girl who worked on a farm, her only dream being that one day she would finally be able to leave the farm and see the city. 

But that was a small dream in my world - that fact frustrated me enough. 

I was distracted by my own thoughts by the dazzling fresh smell of lemons that soured through the carriage, an orchard of that particular fruit could be seen just off the fringe of some platinum gates that we were approaching at a fast rate, the thought of some fresh lemons being squeezed into a glass for some lemonade almost makes me salivate - that would be a treat after such a long journey. 

“We are here!” The driver announces, I open the door to the carriage and step out onto the smooth path; ignoring the help that was waiting directly outside of the door. The horses breathing could be heard from where I was, I felt cruel using them to pull such a heavy carriage, I went over and gently the side of one of them, feeling her breaths ever so slowly regulate. I sighed pitifully as I wished I could rip the straps off the horse and set her free. 

“My lady he Is waiting for you” Jibum snidely comments to me as he pokes his head out of the carriage “Behave yourself - you know the date that we are coming back to collect you” Without looking back I simply turned and looked toward the manor, looking over eve

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter