A Parallel Line

Second Chances
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Taengoo-yah!” Yoona caught up with her best friend. “Why do you look so sad?”

“Ah, nah it’s nothing. Don’t worry!” Taeyeon replied, giving a forced smile. The two best friends sat down on a bench in the school garden.

“Yah Kim Taeyeon, are you insulting my intelligence? I know you better than that, spill! Has it got to do with Wooyoung?”

“Sigh… Well, yeah. Kind of.”

“You’re upset that he accepted Tiffany’s request?” Yoona prompted her further, wanting Taeyeon to pour out her feelings in a bid to make her feel better. It saddened her to see happy-go-lucky Taeyeon sad. Taeyeon remained silent, and merely nodded.

“That bastard, how dare he upset my Taeyeon. I’m going to tell him off this moment!” With this, Yoona stood up suddenly and was about to walk away when she felt a hand pull her back.

“No Yoong, please don’t tell him. He has had a crush on Tiffany for so long, don’t spoil his moment.” Taeyeon’s voice cracked, and it sounded like she was about to cry.

Yoona’s expression softened and she sat back down next to Taeyeon. “Taengoo… Then what about you?”

“It’s okay… If he’s happy, I’m happy too.”

Yoona sighed deeply and shook her head in disapproval. However, she didn’t say anything further as she was afraid that it would make Taeyeon more upset. The two best friends shared a comfortable silence and just looked at the scenery before them, both having their own thoughts.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Okay class, today, I’m going to revise differentiation and integration with you. Take out the worksheets that have been given to you in the previous lesson and start looking at the questions if you haven’t. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask….” Wooyoung was about to fall asleep listening to Leeteuk (Mr. Park) drone on and on about Mathematics.  He wasn’t in the least bit interested and felt that he was wasting his time; He had better things to do.

-Flashback begins-

(Note: This happened right before the lesson, not in the past. So this Wooyoung is the Wooyoung from the present. Haha I'm sorry if it's confusing!)

“Aish… Mr. Park is so weird. He doesn’t care about us, does he?” Taecyeon whined.

“Yeah… Don’t you feel that you can never tell what Mr. Park is thinking?” Taeyeon gave a thoughtful look.

“Hey! There should be no reason why you should be concerned with that!” Wooyoung suddenly stood up and exploded. Everyone in the room gave him a weird look.

“Chill Wooyoung… Anyway, I think he belongs in the losing lot?” Taecyeon pulled Wooyoung down to his seat.

“Yeah, maybe!” Taeyeon replied.

Wooyoung, upon seeing this, gave a big grin and said, “You think so too?  Don’t forget what you feel about him being in the losing lot, don’t ever forget that!”

Taeyeon stared at him and gave him a nudge. “Why?!”

“Okay? Okay.”

“Eh Youngie, you’re so weird. You’re even weirder than Mr. Park!”

“Well I think he’s quite interesting… And he’s rather handsome too!” Yoona stated.

“YAHHHHH don’t get yourself interested in him! What’s so good about him?!” It was Taecyeon’s turn to explode.

-Flashback ends-

Wooyoung looked around and realized that the whole class was absorbed in their own activites. Leeteuk simply gave the impression of being plain boring, and he didn’t bother to communicate with his students. Everyone in their class thought that he couldn’t care less about them. Hence, they didn’t give him respect and ignored him most of the time. Even Mr. Kwon, who was the supervising tutor today, didn’t bother to listen to Leeteuk.

Wooyoung glanced over at Taeyeon beside him, and noticed that she was looking a bit down. He stared curiously at her for a while, and their eyes met for a moment when she looked up. She gave him a sad smile before looking down at her worksheet once again. Wooyoung was left in deep thought until he was interrupted by a high pitched voice.

“Mr. Park! I have a question!” Hara, the class bimbo spoke as she stood up. She was infamous for being a very daring and flirty girl in the entire school.

Leeteuk looked up with a look of surprise as the class usually gave him no response. “Yes?”

“If the two of us met and fell in love with each other, what will the answer be?” Hara blinked repeatedly, trying to show off her attractiveness. Everyone in class facepalmed and sighed. They knew these kind of questions would only come from Hara.

“If y= ex, then the inverse would be y = log x,” Leeteuk answered almost immediately. After hearing his answer, everyone was dumbfounded and gave Leeteuk a blank look. What in the world was this guy saying?!

Mr. Kwon suddenly gave a loud laugh and replied, “HAHAHAHA! They’ll be two curves that never intersect!”

“Huh?” Hara just gave a blank look.

“I’m sorry that it’s hard for you to understand,” Leeteuk apologized.

“Well, if it’s impossible now, the curves may intersect sometime in the future, right?” Hara continued, with a hopeful look in her eyes. Everyone just rolled their eyes and looked at Leeteuk for his reaction.

“No, I can show you easily why the two curves will never intersect,” After saying this, Leeteuk picked up the chalk. “You can easily prove by using y= ex and y = log x…” Everyone was so shocked, they couldn’t believe what just happened. They just stared at Leeteuk in disbelief and exasperation while Leeteuk continued to explain in vain. Everyone rolled their eyes and continued with their own activities, while Hara just sat back down and stared out of the window in frustration. 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter