One

And It Is You

Chanyeol and I went a long way back. We met at a gala dinner our parents went to fifteen years ago. Her mother was so delighted when she learned he had given me a spoon of his chocolate lava cake that night. “Channie never shares his chocolate, not even with me,” Mrs. Park beamed at me as she picked her boy up. “You must be a very special friend to him,” I remembered she told me with twinkle in her eyes. I didn’t understand much then. All I knew was how stingy Chanyeol was being as he only gave me a spoon of his chocolate cake. I didn’t see what so important in that. I was taught to share what I had with my friends. Shouldn’t Chanyeol be taught the same way too? Or did he get to play with his toys all by himself? That was unfair, I thought then. Only in the last few years did I notice how picky Chanyeol was in letting people into his circle. Due to the nature of our family backgrounds, acquaintances were plenty, but real friends were to be earned. Harsh, but that was reality. Chanyeol might have grown accustomed to that piece of truth a long time ago; that might be the reason why he nodded his head at many, but shared his contact number to none.

Now I was in my third year of university while Chanyeol was already well in his career in his father’s multinational company. I used to look at him as the older brother I never had, but ever since I noticed the rapid heartbeat and strange giddiness in my tummy whenever he was around, I knew I was doomed – I had fallen in love with my own best friend. I couldn’t, I wouldn’t let things go out of hand for it would be the perfect recipe for catastrophe.

The first three months after I acknowledged I had a crush (I refused to call it love just yet) on my best friend were not easy. I tried to push the growing feelings back down and went out of my way to avoid him. I thought it wouldn’t be a big deal to make new friends and hang out with other group of people, but boy was I wrong. I had to learn how cruel people could be the hard way. The new group of friends I befriended used my name to enter exclusive clubs as well as to get privileges on high-end restaurants and what not. I didn’t know about it until Chanyeol called me.

“What were you doing at Blue Angel at 2 in the freaking morning?” his tone calm, but dangerous and I knew not to mess with him, but as much as I would want to offer an answer to his question, I couldn’t. I didn’t even know what Blue Angel was and I actually thought it was a name of a private resort in a private island or some sort (because the name sounded beautiful to me), but it turned out to be a night club where only the richest of the rich would be caught dead in. Okay that sounded so dramatic, but seriously it offered all kinds of services from imported liquors to expensive women. I knew that after I asked Yoora unnie (Chanyeol’s sister) about it. Chanyeol was kind of annoyed at me he refused to explain himself further after interrogating me. Apparently he got a call from a good friend of his personal assistant who casually informed his personal assistant who then got alarmed and alerted Chanyeol as my name popped pretty regularly for almost two months at the club.

Daddy also voiced out the same tune one night over dinner. “Your birthday isn’t coming soon. May I know why you’re buying meals for your friends at Seoul Garden every Friday?” he asked as he looked at me and paused for a second. “Is it a new habit of yours to be extra generous and treat your friends every weekend? I’m certainly not against it, but, honey, spending over 200,000 won every week kind of needs extra attention,” he dabbed the white napkin to his lips although I was sure there was no dirt he needed to clean off of his lips. If I was surprised by his first question, I was beyond shocked hearing the next one. Daddy was by no means unable to afford such luxurious meal every day, but I knew he was concerned when I lost wisdom in managing my finances. “But you know I don’t like eating at Seoul Garden, Daddy,” I told him honestly, confusion was written on both of our faces. He was silent for a moment and I knew his brain must be reeling with so many possible reasons. He ended the conversation with a lighter note, nonetheless. “Don’t let Uncle Hong hear that, sweetheart,” he chuckled. “He will be disheartened knowing his favorite girl not liking one of his restaurants.”

A few days after that, still in my attempt to get away from Chanyeol, the said guy casually strode into my campus and snatched me away from my new friends. “Oh, Chanyeol sunbae,” one of the boys greeted my best friend, smiling very widely. “It’s very nice to see you in person. I’ve heard lots of good things about you,” he continued to try impressing Chanyeol who looked not the least bit bothered by the praises. My giant best friend didn’t even acknowledge the outstretched arm offered to him. “You’re going home with me,” he spoke, eyes zeroing on me. Chanyeol didn’t even try to mask his intention to give my friends the cold shoulders and I wasn’t sure if my friends were being polite or they really were stupid because they were still ogling over my double-ed-coat clad best friend as if he were some kind of a demigod. “But we’re having a pool party at my house later,” one of my girl friends piped in. “Yeah? Did you provide the booze yourself?” Chanyeol asked her out of the blue. “Yeol,” I tried calling out to him. He looked very displeased so I only wanted to calm him down, but he didn’t budge. “How about the food? The DJ?” he continued to ask. By then, my girl friend was already looking at me for help. “Yeol, you’re so random,” I tried to laugh his questions off, but it came out forced and unnatural. “She asked you, didn’t she?” Chanyeol turned his eyes to me this time. “She asked you to buy her the booze, the food and to hire the DJ, didn’t she?” He asked again, looking annoyed and broken and I felt guilty for no reason.

“Let’s just go home, Se,” he sighed, pulling me by the hand. I didn’t want to argue so I took my bag as he led me away. “Bye,” I forced a smile to my friends, but as if my greeting ignited a forgotten flame in Chanyeol, he stopped in his walk and his heels abruptly toward my friends. “Stay away from her,” he tried not to bark, but the veins on his forehead were almost visible and they were scary. “All of you,” he said again, firmer this time. I didn’t get to say anything to my friends as Chanyeol forced me to follow him by the dead grip of his hand on mine. I wanted to break free, but I didn’t want to make a scene so I followed him quietly, my brain trying to recall what I had done wrong to make Chanyeol so angry.

“What is your problem?” I only managed to confront him when we reached his car. The black Benz was parked neatly in the VIP area although Chanyeol was not one of the board members of the school. His grandfather used to be though; that might be why Chanyeol got to do as he pleased around the campus even when he was only a student back then, but I honestly I believed the fact that my best friend was the next in line to inherit Asia’s third most successful company played a bigger role.

“My problem is you hanging out with the wrong crowd, Sera,” he said straight to the point. That was one of the many things I loved about Chanyeol. He never sugarcoated his words. He was always frank and never feared to speak up his mind. Despite of his brutal honesty, one could always see the sincerity in his words and actions and I liked him for that.

“You don’t know anything about my friends, Yeol,” I tried not to raise my voice, but I was clearly annoyed at his accusation. “You are the one who don’t know anything about your friends, Se,” he replied back. Although he was scowling, I knew he meant no harm. “They used your name to enter a night club and get free drinks. Do you know how I almost got a heart attack when you ordered a room at Blue Angel?” he shrieked and I swore I wasn’t being biased, but he looked very handsome and adorable scolding me like that. I shook my head to get rid of those distracting thoughts and forced my brain to process what he just said. “They also went to eat and charge the bills to your card. I thought you were having a get-together with your classmates or something, but then I saw your card paying for shark fins every Friday and I knew right away it couldn’t be you,” he frowned. I smiled secretly at the fact Chanyeol knew me so well. I never tried shark fin soup before, but my geography teacher once showed me a video of a shark farm where they inhumanely cut off the fins and I sort of made an unofficial vow to myself to never buy the sinful dish.

“Wait, is that why Daddy asked me about hosting dinner at Seoul Garden every Friday?” I asked, more to myself than to him actually, but he was the one who got so worked up over it. “Gods, so you knew? And you’re still friends with them?” he grabbed my shoulders, eyes almost blazing with fire. “Not exactly. It’s just that Daddy asked me about treating my friends at Seoul Garden the other day, but I don’t remember ever going there with them,” I tilted my head confusedly. “You’re impossible,” he let out a breath dejectedly, but I wasn’t offended because the next thing he did made up for his scolding. He wrapped his arms around my body, flushing me against his chest. I inhaled his scent and melted in his embrace. “I’m sorry,” I whispered to his shirt. “Why are you sorry?” he hummed, his breath tickling the crown of my head, the annoyance he had in him earlier was nowhere to be found “You’re mad at me,” I half whined. “I’m not mad at you,” he kissed the crown of my head for real this time. “I’m mad at them for what they did to you. Are you okay?” he asked, pulling me slightly away to see my face so he could gauge my expression. I was silent for a moment, thinking. “I’m not as hurt as I thought I would, but it kind of to learn the truth,” I shrugged. “Well, that’s what you got from avoiding me, princess,” he pinched the bridge of my nose and I yelped. “Y-Yah!” His statement reminded of the reason why I avoided him in the first place, my cheeks reddened at the thought.

“Can we go home now?” I asked to divert my attention from the closeness of our bodies. “Sure. We’re going home to my home though. Your father’s in Birmingham so you’re my responsibility,” he stated so casually it almost hurt for my heart to increase its beat, taking his thoughtfulness as a romantic gesture. “I’m a young adult now, Yeol. I can take care of myself. I’m not your responsibility every time Daddy’s out of the country,” I huffed, feigning my annoyance. He didn’t reply instantly and only looked at me right in the eyes for a moment. I had to gulp down my nervousness at the eye contact. “You’re right. You’re not my responsibility every time uncle’s out of the country,” he leaned in closer, still looking into my eyes. “You’re my responsibility all the time,” he smiled and kissed my cheek. My heart rate picked up instantly.

Maybe, just maybe, I just don’t have to try so hard rejecting my feelings for him and maybe, just maybe, he’s feeling the same too.

 


 

I'm posting this on the 10th of the 10th month. Such a dedication for  (Yeol/10). Hahaha! Do leave me your thoughts though! :-)