Together

Closer

 

Asking you how have you've been lately, but how? What how?

Days like these days, things like these days, where are they?

Day after day after day, every day is exactly the same like this…

Yeah, just live like that… so what?

Just dream and live on… so what?

 

Jihoon skillfully twirls the pen with his thumb and forefinger, spins it around his long and pretty fingers when he finally comes up with the lyrics for a chorus that completes the song he's been working on. He hums the beat slowly to see if the lyrics fit to it and he smiles satisfyingly when it matches and conveys the story of the song perfectly. Jihoon edits a few structures to the chorus and when he settles with the one that he satisfies the most, he saves the file on the software.

He stretches himself, getting rid of the weariness before getting up from his workstation and heads outside of his bedroom. He opens the curtains at the living room and ties it neatly on the sides; presenting the outside view which lies before his eyes. It's already noon since the sun shines so brightly, Jihoon had to close his eyes because it can't adjust to the sudden amount of brightness. He's been up all night and after a few sleepless hours working on the song, he finally completes it.

He rubs his eyes while heading to the kitchenette to drink some water; moisten his dry throat. He sits down to drink when suddenly his eyes catch the wrinkled tissue paper where he hangs it up on the refrigerator, using a fridge magnet.

"How I wish yesterday was our everyday" –Seungcheol

 

Jihoon intentionally hangs the handwritten message because that's the only evidence which proves the thing he had with the guy. He can never forget the guy, he always thinks about him to the point where he thinks he's being delusional about spending a day and night with the guy because it seems too good to be true, but the handwritten message left for him is enough to prove that he is still sane.

How long has it been? 2 months?

"It's weird how I still miss that idiot for this long…" Jihoon talked to himself, as if his brain is trying to give a hint for his heart to move on, but of course he can't. Even though a brain and a heart are functioning in one body to complete the whole complex system, but they never compromise when it comes to emotions and feelings; always contradicting.

Jihoon has been trying to move on, but he can't find a replacement for Seungcheol. No, he doesn't want a replacement because no one can replace how special Seungcheol is to him, instead he is searching for someone to keep himself busy but he doesn't find one. And what a perfect timing, a company called him to work on a song a few days after Seungcheol left. He was happy to get a project to work on and at the same time, managed to get Seungcheol out of his mind for some period.

After that first project, the company was very satisfied with his work and they called him again to see if they can make Jihoon their permanent composer and producer. Jihoon was so surprised when he got the call and he quickly agreed to come by at the company building to set a few benefiting conditions for both parties and sign the contract. Jihoon is now working for Pledis Entertainment under a stage name, 'Woozi'.

Jihoon wanted to tell Seungcheol about his job but how can he? That idiot left him without leaving his phone number.

He really is an idiot, but then again, I like that idiot.

Jihoon sighs.

 

But before he immerses himself in deeper thoughts about the guy, Jihoon quickly searches for his phone in his bedroom. He unlocks it and scrolls through the phonebook to find the number of a particular person.

"Hello, hyung?" Jihoon greets the person on the next line with a question.

"Yeah Woozi…"

"Kanto-hyung, the song is done. I'll be going to Seoul tomorrow morning to meet you at your office so that we can revise on it before finalizing the lyrics and the song structure…"

"Thanks a lot, Woozi! Just text me when you arrive, I'll pick you up at the station."

"Okay hyung… See you tomorrow then."

"Okay…"

Jihoon hangs up the call and decides to take a shower before going out to grab his lunch, probably a proper meal after so many hours he's been focusing on the song.

 

**********

 

"I listened to it for a bit and it sounds very good…" Jihoon looks at Kanto as the elder opens up his opinion. Jihoon nods; he feels relieved that Kanto is satisfied with the song.

"Say Woozi, how do you want this part to be like?" They both look at the music sheet of the lyrics to the song along with other people in the studio; the arranger, the beatmaker and the producer of Kanto's previous songs. The five of them are in a serious mood but in a professional-friendly kind of way.

"From this point to 'I'm not wearing any heavy bag' is where you sing before it transects to 'Okay, I can't sleep… I keep drifting away' where you need to sing in a faster beat and it turns to a rap as it goes on. At the part where it transects, you need to make the pronunciations clear so that the point and the beat are alive. It's okay if it cracks before you start rapping…" Jihoon explains how the song structure flows expertly and the rest of the people in the studio take note on that specific part.

"Okay, nice! That part is where I need to focus on more compared to the other parts…" Kanto said as he scans through the rest of the song structure.

"Yes, and there is another point where it transects exactly the same way on the second verse. Here…" Jihoon leans in closer to the elder to point out the part. "Between 'So by that way, we can become more mature' and 'At a place where honesty is a sin'…" Kanto nods, understands what Jihoon is trying to say.

"That's everything…" said the producer-nim as they finally go through everything.

"Let's get Kanto to sing first and we see how it goes as Jihoon monitors the flow…" suggested the arranger-nim and they all nod in unison.

 

Everyone starts to take their places so Jihoon takes a seat near the arranger-nim to monitor along. The music starts at the background, resonates across the recording room and studio as they wait for Kanto to sing. Kanto starts on the first verse, giving his best in singing and rapping while trying to get every single word matches the beat and point of the song. Jihoon nods as a signal for the singer to continue so he goes on singing and rapping the whole song in one go.

Jihoon claps to show his deepest satisfaction towards Kanto's first attempt as the singer can convey and portray how the song should be based on his idea. The producer-nim and arranger-nim are highly satisfied too. They can see a few areas where they can improve the beat as the beatmaker-nim points out his opinion but overall, the result is great. Kanto takes off the headphone and hangs it on the microphone before going out of the recording room to meet the rest in the studio.  

Kanto, Jihoon and the producer-nim quickly work on the adlibs while the arranger-nim and the beatmaker-nim work on the song structure. Another hour spent in the studio as they finalize everything and Jihoon can say that he is proud and fully satisfied with this song compared to the previous songs he worked on.

Since he's been working on the songs for the trainees at the entertainment, it seems a little harder as he needs to put on an extra effort in conveying his idea to the trainees and guiding them throughout the song. Not that he's complaining or anything, but finally being able to work with an experienced singer is on a whole different level. He can see a few areas in which he's still lacking but he takes the advices and new skills with an open heart.

"What would you name this song, Woozi?" Kanto asked.

"YOSM…? 요즈음 as in 'these days'…" answered the called composer, Woozi.

They settle on everything for the last time that day before going out to have dinner together. It's the first time Jihoon make a connection with other singers than the trainees and he can see this opportunity as the stepping stone for him to make his name out in the music industry. He hopes that Kanto does well with the song but he is sure the elder is going to do great by himself.

Jihoon goes back to Busan after dinner, taking the last train that night. Despite being tired and exhausted working the whole day, it's been so long since the last time he feels genuinely content and happy.

 

**********

 

Jihoon walks out of the elevator and he fishes out his apartment keys but he stops at the corner when he can see a familiar figure at the front door of his apartment from where he stands. Jihoon takes a minute to register everything when the familiar figure notices his presence.

"Jihoon-ssi~" said the familiar guy while waving at him.

Jihoon starts to walk heading towards the familiar guy and when they stand in front of each other, Jihoon can feel various feelings gushing through him. A mixed of longing, yearning, craving but also frustration, anger and betrayal at the same time. Jihoon grabs the guy's tie slowly to bring the taller closer to him, but instead of dropping a kiss on his lips, he punches him on the face as hard as he can.

The guy loses his balance and falls down to the floor, looking confused as he doesn't predict that he will be welcomed with this treatment from the smaller but he knows he deserves a good punch for leaving the smaller in such a way. He looks up to see Jihoon oozing in frustration and resentment but the smaller calms himself down before unlocking the door. He stays on the floor, waiting for Jihoon to say something before he leaves the place but what comes next is not what he expected.

"Come on in after you've done reflecting yourself and lock the door."

The guy smiles to himself.

 

Jihoon throws his backpack on the floor next to the keyboard before taking off his clothes. He wraps a towel around his waist, grabs the clean pieces of nightwear and goes to the bathroom. Jihoon leaves Seungcheol outside because he is confident that the taller will come inside once he grasps everything that happened before. Jihoon finds himself calming down since the frustration and resentment have been lifted clearly off his shoulder after the punch.

The midnight shower makes him feel better too. Finally, he can share with Seungcheol about his day today and the idea of telling the taller about it makes Jihoon blushes red. He quickly rinses off the soap away and dries himself.

Jihoon goes out of the bathroom, wearing the complete set of nightwear and he finds Seungcheol resting at the sofa. He checks the main door to find it lock before sitting at the sofa too, joining the taller. He looks at Seungcheol and the taller looks back at him.

There are so many questions playing inside of his head but the words don't seem to come out.

 

Why do you leave me without saying anything?

You think that note alone can make me feel any better, huh?

What takes you so long to come back?

Don't you feel the same way as I do?

Don't you think this feeling is mutual?

How have you been? I still think about you, you idiot!

 

But Jihoon settles with an obvious question instead.

"Does it hurt?" Jihoon looks at the red mark on Seungcheol's cheek. Thank goodness the punch doesn't cause Seungcheol's lips to cut, bleed or anything worse. It doesn't leave a very serious bruise either, but Jihoon still feels guilty for punching the taller.

"It hurts a lot but I totally deserve it…" Seungcheol answered weakly. He rubs his cheek, wanting to get rid of the pain away. But even with that pain on his cheek, it can't overcome the overwhelming feeling inside of him. He misses Jihoon like crazy, but he doesn't know how to bring the topic up. He doesn't know if they're actually a thing to begin with but he comes back here to confirm everything between them.

But it seems he doesn't have to doubt or think about it twice since Jihoon initiates the first move.

Jihoon moves closer to Seungcheol and holds the taller's chin gently before turns it to the side so that he can place a kiss on the red mark. Seungcheol is surprised when Jihoon's lips make a contact with the pain on his cheek but he quickly closes his eyes, appreciating the warmth and he seems to loosen himself when the warmth from the kiss radiates throughout his body.

They stay still for a minute, not wanting to move away and break the contact, but once Jihoon leans back and swipes his thumb across the red mark on Seungcheol's cheek softly, the pain is being replaced with that gentle touch of his. Seungcheol leans in the touch and he can see that loving gaze coming from the smaller.

"Sorry…" said Jihoon apologetically. Seungcheol brings his hand up to hold the smaller's hand on his cheeks before squeezing it firmly.

"It's okay…" Seungcheol smiles brightly, Jihoon thought he couldn't see that smile again.

 

**********

 

They spend the night watching a romantic comedy movie instead of sleeping, but more like chatting along, catching up with each other after separating for 2 months. Jihoon sits on the sofa while Seungcheol lays down, resting his head on Jihoon's lap and spreading himself across the three-seater sofa. One of Jihoon's hands is playing with Seungcheol's hair, running his fingers through his locks, twirling it now and then while Seungcheol hugs himself, keeping himself warm.

Even though they haven't been seeing each other for so long, but by catching up with one another can make them feel comfortable again. Perhaps, even more comfortable than before. They watch the movie quietly but when one of them speaks up, the other is more than happy to look away from the movie and pay attention to the person instead.  

"So, how's work?"

"Great, to be honest. I'm so grateful that I finally get to make real songs, you know, official songs... Oh, and today, I went to meet Kanto-hyung, you know, the idol singer from 'Troy'…"

"You met him?!"

"Yeah, I worked on a song for him and we went to record it today… I don't know about the final version of the song since they have a few beats to reconstruct but once it's released on the media, I guess we can listen to it together…"

"Wow, that's nice! You didn't take a photo with him or anything? He's pretty famous though…"

"I did, of course." Jihoon takes his phone and searches for that particular selca. He shows it to Seungcheol and the excitement clearly shows across the taller's facial expression.

"Man, you're going to be popular one day. You're probably going to forget me with all the fame you'll get later on…" Jihoon hits Seungcheol's arm lightly, making the elder stop from talking nonsense. Seungcheol smiles innocently to the smaller.

"How's your work?" asked Jihoon.

"Normal office work. I'm aiding a consultant in railway technologies, so I'm handling a lot of paper works, reports, documentations that kind of stuff."

"Do you enjoy it?" Jihoon keeps on playing with Seungcheol's hair while his eyes focusing on the television.

"Well, I can't say I don't enjoy it because I do have fun doing it, but sometimes the business gets out of control so the pressure is just meh~"

Jihoon hums.

 

"You know, today is my birthday…" Jihoon stops playing with Seungcheol's hair, looking at the taller and waiting for him continue but Seungcheol stays quiet and keeps his eyes on the television.

"You should've come sooner… Maybe if I know that you're going to come here on your birthday, you could've got a birthday kiss…" Jihoon says casually and continues to play with the taller's hair. Seungcheol turns his head on Jihoon's laps, turning his back at the television to face the smaller.

"I still can get that birthday kiss, right?" Seungcheol pouts and Jihoon had to control himself from attacking the taller for being too cute. He sure has a lot of aegyo. Jihoon puts a finger on Seungcheol's lips before bending down to whisper at the taller.

"You've got to work for it." Jihoon winks before leaning back, eyes focusing on the television again. Seungcheol smiles to himself before turns his head on Jihoon's lap around, to watch the movie too.

 

"Hoon-ie…"

"Hmmm?"

"…I lost my best friend a few days before we met…"

Jihoon continues to twirl Seungcheol's locks using his fingers, signaling the taller that he has the smaller's full attention even though the smaller is watching the movie.

"…I was lost and in despair at that time, but I don't know why while I was strolling around, I spotted you in the café. I don't know what kind of spell did you use to attract my attention that day but that's when I decided to slack off…" Seungcheol laughs before he continues.

"…I really had fun that day but I had to leave early in the morning because I wanted to attend the funeral. You don't know how much I wanted to stay and spend more time with you…" said Seungcheol weakly.

Jihoon looks at Seungcheol's back view. He feels sorry for the taller and guilty too, since he jumps to a conclusion without knowing the whole story.

"You really should've come sooner, you know… If I really have that power to make you attracted to me, you could've come back here a few weeks after that…"

"I know, I know… but I don't know if what I feel is mutual… and I don't want to be hasty since you probably don't like me being assertive…"

"You're really an idiot! Do you really think I would ask you to sleep over at my place if I don't feel the same way towards you?"

"Dehet~"

"So… what brings you back here?" Jihoon asked with a serious tone.

"My close friend, who's my late best friend's boyfriend, asked me if I was meeting someone… I said I didn't because I was really not seeing anyone at that time. And then he said something about me being too careful and calculative. He can see it right through me and I can't lie to him so I told him about you…"

Jihoon hums.

"He said I should give it a try… You know, taking the risk of seeing you again, maybe… just maybe, that you would feel the same way too…"

"And I do… Isn't that obvious?"

"You're not really the showy kind of type, so I can't read you really well…"

"You don't have to read me, Cheol-ie… Just pay attention to what I'm doing. Isn't that proving something to you?"

"Well, you can prove to me by giving me my birthday kiss…" Seungcheol turns around again with that cheeky smile of his.

"I didn't pin you to be this persistent." Jihoon flicks Seungcheol's forehead lightly, causing the taller to laugh at the cute rejection. I didn't pin you to be this shy.

Jihoon has that charismatic aura around him, but actually the smaller is very shy and not very good at showing and expressing his emotions and feelings. While Seungcheol on the other hand, is very assertive and confident, good at expressing himself and has a lot of cute sides despite his manly looks.

What a beautiful and perfect combination.

 

"Hoon-ie…"

"Yeah?"

"Let's move in together."

Jihoon stops playing Seungcheol's hair and grabs the taller to face him.

"What… did you just say?"

"Let's move in together…? Why? Did I say something wrong?" Seungcheol sits straight up, turning his body around to focus his attention fully to Jihoon. Jihoon suddenly feels small under Seungcheol's attentive gaze and they being close to each other makes it even worse.

"No, you didn't…"

"Then, what's wrong? You don't want to?"

"I-I want to…" Jihoon's voice trails off as his cheeks start to heat up.

"Great!" Seungcheol shouts excitedly, a little too loud. "We can find a bigger apartment for both of us…"

"You're serious?" Jihoon asked again for confirmation.

"Of course, I am. What makes you think I'm not?"

"It's too sudden…" Jihoon looks away from Seungcheol, trying so hard to get rid of the heat from burning his cheeks. Seungcheol leans closer to cup Jihoon's cheeks and bring their forehead together. Jihoon has no other choice than to look into Seungcheol's eyes and when he can feel the taller's burning desire, his face turns red. Jihoon hates himself for suddenly being weak and subservient under Seungcheol's gaze.

"I'm going to be serious about us now. I'm not letting you go, I'm not going to leave you again, you got that?" Jihoon nods, almost whimpers at Seungcheol's command. Seungcheol smiles and Jihoon quickly bites his lips when he senses that the taller starts to close the gap between them. He closes his eyes when he can feel Seungcheol's lips in contact with his. Jihoon gives in a few seconds after and kisses the taller back before pushing the other away.

Seungcheol still cups Jihoon's cheek and that attentive gaze Seungcheol has been giving makes Jihoon feels ; the taller stares right into his soul.

"Let's g-go to sleep…" Jihoon stutters while looking back at the taller nervously. He signals the taller at the movie that has already ended.

"Okay…" Seungcheol smiles lovingly, liking this side of Jihoon.

It's amazing how both of them can change roles in their new-established relationship. Sometimes Jihoon takes the lead, sometimes Seungcheol can take the lead. When Jihoon is being dominant, Seungcheol is melted; revealing that high-schooler's blushes on his cheeks. And when Seungcheol is in control, Jihoon is being subservient; revealing that shy and fragile side of him.

A beautiful and perfect combination indeed.

 

**********

 

Seungcheol knocks on the door before opening it to find his lover is still working on the song since last night. He steps inside of the study room, which most likely is Jihoon's studio, and walks closer to the younger. He places a kiss on Jihoon's crown before hugging the younger from the back.

"Still not satisfy?"

"Yeah, the beat seems to be a little bit off tune. I need to work on this a bit… I promise I'll get this done a.s.a.p."

"That's okay, take your time. Do you want me to bring your breakfast here?"

"No, no… I'll eat it outside, with you…" Jihoon turns around to look back at the elder.

"Can you wait for me? It won't take long, I promise... please?" Seungcheol finds it cute when Jihoon begs. How can he say no to that? Seungcheol ruffles the smaller's hair softly before leaving him alone, not wanting to bother him with his work.

Seungcheol sits on the sofa, searching for the remote control before turning the television on and switching through the channels.

It's been almost 4 months since they started to move in and live together in their new apartment. The apartment is definitely bigger than any of their separate apartments and it has extra rooms; which are a study room where Jihoon works on his songs and that is also where he places his small workstation and his keyboard, and a small library where Seungcheol spends on working for the consultation.

It is the perfect choice since it's in the middle between their workplaces and the subway station is only a walking distance plus the convenience stores and malls are within the walking range. Their bedroom is bigger and they get to have a king-sized bed for them to share, enough space for their stuffs as well and the bathroom is more spacious. As for the kitchenette and laundry room, they are okay, nothing less than what they used to have back in their previous apartments.

It's a bit pricey but Seungcheol and Jihoon can still manage to rent it monthly without any delay. Well, both of them now have stable jobs with great payment so that shouldn't be a problem.

As for their working schedules, Seungcheol has a fixed time because since he's working at the office, he usually goes to work on weekdays at 7 in the morning and comes back home around 5 to 6 in the evening. And as for Jihoon, he doesn't have a fixed schedule; he works whenever he can and he usually works from their apartment. He goes to the meetings and other appointments when needed.

But Seungcheol and Jihoon always find time for each other nevertheless. Well, they're grown-ups, they know how to handle stuff, and especially now they want to be stable and eventually get more serious…?

 

As Seungcheol gets immersed in the drama that he's watching, a phone rings from their bedroom. He walks to the room to find Jihoon's phone ringing and after seeing the caller's name, he picks up the call.

"Hello, Ailee-noona… How are you?"

"Oh hi, Seungcheol-ah~ I'm good. You?"

"Never better. What are you up to?"

"Oh, I wanted to ask Jihoon for his help. I'm preparing for a comeback in six-month's time and I was wondering if he can help working for two songs together with me…"

"I see… Wait, I'll get him on the line."

Seungcheol walks in the study room and nudges the smaller's side, giving him the phone and when Jihoon looks at the caller, he immediately greets her.

"Hello, noona!" said Jihoon excitedly. He pokes Seungcheol's side, signaling him that he will be talking on the phone outside and the elder nods.

Seungcheol looks at the workstation to find a pile of music sheets lying around messily. He looks at the monitor to find the file that Jihoon has been working on non-stop and he quickly saves the file on the software, just in case if anything happens. He decides to go outside when something catches his attention.

He spots his name on the side of a music sheet and when takes it out from the rest, he finds an unfinished song manuscript with only two verse of lyrics. He reads "Love Letter –Jihoon (for Cheol-ie <3)" at the top of the sheet and he would be lying if he said he didn't melt at that cute '<3' heart shape. He continues to read the rest of the lyrics.

 

Write everything down about us on a love letter.

Throw it in the air and throw it into the empty sky.

The wind will embrace us…

So that your painful days of the past are erased.

Throw it in the air.

I will hold you tightly and never let go…

I will always be by your side.

 

There are still so many things,

I ended up not be able to tell you.

I open my arms and swear to the sky,

I won’t leave you and run away.

 

Seungcheol smiles to himself because he is definitely touched by the smaller's effort, feeling all fuzzy and warm on the inside. He puts the music sheet back to its place, hiding it under the pile of other music sheets on the workstation before going out to find the younger. He sees the younger is so engaged in talking with Ailee on the phone so he decides to attack the younger from behind.

He snakes his arms around Jihoon's waist before leaning in closer to whisper on the younger's unoccupied ear.

"I love you…"

That catches Jihoon off guard and he tries to push Seungcheol away, not knowing what just happened but as far as he knows the elder, Seungcheol is probably not going to stop when he's in his clingy behavior. Jihoon tries to get his phone out of Seungcheol's reach before he can say something embarrassing to Ailee. This is not the first time Ailee had to deal with their loving sweet session, either in real life or through phone calls.

"Cheol! Stop it. I'm on the phone!"

"Ailee-noona!" Seungcheol screams out, loud enough for Ailee to hear despite the distance between the phone and the elder. "Tell the whole world that I, Choi Seungcheol, hereby clarify that I'm madly in love with the very talented and most versatile composer, Woozi!"

Chain of laughter can be heard on the phone coming from the next line. Jihoon is so done with this.

 


I hope this is fluffy enough to make up for the angst and cliffhanger from the previous story ;;; oh and I really did my best in learning a few areas about how a composer should be like and the people who are involved in making songs, please don't be hard on me if I make mistakes (but critical comments are highly appreciated ^^) I really love Kanto's YOSM ft our Woozi and the fact that he worked as one of the lyricist for Ailee's Live or Die and Feelin' is amazing! The songs are so good T^T (I love Ailee too and her 'A New Empire' album is my favorite) I try so hard to not make this one angsty HAHA I hope you guys enjoy this too :))