A little longer

Stay

 

He wakes up that morning, feeling as usual as the other days. He sits up on his bed and looks at the window where the sun shines and radiates its light through his room, brightening the gloomy environment surrounds him. He rubs the back of his neck, slowly drifting his fingers along his nape, not knowing what to do to fill his day.

He gets up from his bed and heads towards the dining table of four before taking a seat. He opens his laptop first to check through the pile of messages in his email but none of it is the one that he hopes for. Most of it is just spams and advertisements, none of it is the reply from any of the companies that he applied jobs for. He closes the tab, feeling a little bit sad but he's not going to stay down and blue the whole day.

He heads towards the bathroom and the first thing he does is brushing his teeth. He brushes slowly as if he is trying to kill as much time as he can. After he gurgles the excess out, he watches his reflection on the mirror and he can see a guy with pale skin and dark bags under his tired eyes. He runs his fingers along his beach blonde ombre hair which is turning dull since the tip of his hair starts to lose its blonde color but the root of his hair starts to grow black.

He decides to ignore his hair and takes a shower instead.

 

He goes to his usual café, sits at his usual table, taking out his book with a pen and his phone with a pair of earphones out of his backpack after that. He unlocks his phone first to play his favorite playlist on shuffle before he starts to write on a few lines for a song. But of course, there are times where the inspiration does not hit him and he can't write really well or he is not satisfy with what he comes up with, so he doodles through the blank page instead.

A few minutes after waiting, a waiter brings his order to his table; three pieces of hotcakes with syrup poured on top of it and a melted butter decorating the meal, a small bowl of fruit and maple oatmeal and a cup of hot coffee. He smiles to see the meal in front of him; definitely a good idea to start off his day and he doesn't forget to thank the waiter in his dialect since the waiter speaks in their heavy dialect too.

He cuts the hotcakes in small pieces, easier for him to eat when suddenly a guy sits across of him at his table. He looks at the guy to see who he is but he doesn't have any idea if they ever met or known each other before. The guy looks amazing to be honest and he is wearing suits and brings along his medium-sized office briefcase, meaning this guy is working in an office or something. He doesn't know if he actually has a business to do with this guy.

He looks nervously at the guy, seeing around him if he does anything wrong before he takes off his earphone and looks at the guy, waiting for his respond, but the guy stays silent.

"Who are you…?" he speaks up.

The guy just smiles.

"Can I help you with something?"

"Good question..." the guys surprised him because oh my, what a nice voice.

"…I want you to spend a day with me." the guy continues and he is sure that the guy can see the shocked expression all over his face because the guy laughs after that.

He decides to ignore the guy and averts his attention to the forgotten breakfast in front of him. The guy takes that as a sign from the smaller one, giving him the permission to join for breakfast and he holds out his hand, trying to get the waiter's attention for him to place his order.

"What should I call you?" the guy speaks up.

"Jihoon is fine." the smaller one answered indifferently.

"Seungcheol…" said the guy.

Jihoon nods before he puts in back his earphones and starts to listen to the songs but before he continues to eat his breakfast, he opens his phone to lower down the volume so that he can half listen to the songs, half listen to the guy in front of him. Jihoon doesn't know what the taller wants but sharing a table for breakfast doesn't seem dangerous to him. Besides, Seungcheol doesn't look like he can kill an ant so Jihoon stays positive about the guy.

Seungcheol looks at Jihoon happily, he doesn't know the smaller one, he doesn't even see him before, but there's something about the smaller that makes Seungcheol happy.

The waiter comes to the table for the second time to give Seungcheol his order and Seungcheol smiles to the waiter after showing his gratitude. Just as Seungcheol looks down to his breakfast, Jihoon looks up to the waiter to find him smiling mischievously at the smaller. The waiter points at Seungcheol carefully, not wanting the taller to notice and he shows a "thumbs up" at Jihoon, signaling that the smaller got a pretty nice taste. Jihoon rolls his eyes in return.

He better not come up with anything funny or I'll report him to the management.

The waiter is finally leaving them two in peace but he can't stop smiling when he reaches the counter because Jihoon and the taller guy look so cute together. After so many days seeing Jihoon alone at the table, seeing him with someone as attractive as the taller guy, eating together is really something and he is happy to see the changes.

 

**********

 

"Hey, wait up!" Seungcheol said while following the smaller behind.

Jihoon stops to turn around and face the taller.

"What do you want, seriously?" Jihoon said, mixed of irritation and annoyance.

"I want to spend a day with you…" replied the taller calmly.

"And what do you think I will agree to this…?"

"You look like you have nothing going at the moment, you probably don't have anything much to do today…" Seungcheol said straightforwardly, causing Jihoon to laugh sarcastically at the fact.

"You're kidding me, right?"

"No, I'm not. I'm serious…"

"And what are you going to do with that?" Jihoon slings his backpack securely on his shoulder before he points at the suit on the taller and the briefcase. "Aren't you supposed to be heading to work?"

"I just don't feel like it today…" replied Seungcheol without any hesitation.

Jihoon is actually mad when he heard that coming from the taller because he doesn't have any idea how hard it is to live not doing anything benefiting him day by day. Jihoon is suffering from living such a hermit life; he wants to do something, he eagers to do something especially working as a composer and producer of a song but none of the companies replied to him yet and to have the taller saying that to his face makes him feel like he's been mocked.

Jihoon glares at Seungcheol but he laughs apologetically instead.

"Hey, hey, let's not take this matter seriously, okay? I just have so many things to do and so many things in my head, I just need a day off to forget everything at the moment…" Jihoon observes Seungcheol to find the taller is actually being honest and true about it.

Jihoon sighs.

"Come on Jihoon-ssi, just accept this offer gracefully. My treat!" Seungcheol said happily and Jihoon can sense the eagerness in the taller to spend the day together. Seriously, Seungcheol doesn't look like he can kill an ant and Jihoon decides to stay positive about it.

They walk through the street with a bunch of nice cafés on either side the road and Seungcheol decides to buy drinks for them both for the start. Jihoon laughs merrily when he sees Seungcheol runs towards a take-out counter from one of the cafés excitedly. Jihoon stands right next to the taller and he just goes on with whatever Seungcheol is ordering. Seungcheol pays for the drinks before handing one of it to Jihoon and he mutters a "thanks" at the taller in return.

"So, what are we going to do today?" Seungcheol asked, as he starts to walk and Jihoon follows along.

"I don't know… you're the one who drags me into this mess." Jihoon doesn't mean to sound sarcastic but well, whatever. Jihoon finds it amusing when the taller doesn't feel bad from it and instead, he smiles brightly.

"I don't know much around Busan, maybe you can show me around."

Jihoon sighs.

It's going to be a long day.

 

**********

 

They enter a bowling alley and since it is weekdays, only a few people in the place. They both heads to the counter, pays for one set of the game, rents the correct sizes of the bowling shoes before settling down at their lane. They will be up against each other in ten frames and they bet on the game; the winner gets to choose their next destination and the loser needs to do as the winner wants.

Sounds pretty interesting, right?

Well, Jihoon can actually feel that he is going to enjoy himself throughout the game. Seungcheol starts off first. He starts to choose the right ball for him; the right weight for him to bowl before he approaches the foul line and throws the ball with that great bowling posture of his.

So, he got some skills, huh?

Jihoon smiles to himself as he can feel the competitiveness burning inside of him. Seungcheol managed to knock down 6 pins before he gets to score a spare on the next turn. Jihoon can't believe what he just saw on the score board and at the end of the bowling lane and when Seungcheol turns around to smirk at the smaller teasingly, Jihoon knows he is not going to go easy on this guy.

 

After a few frames, it seems that like they're not going anywhere since Jihoon can catch right back up with Seungcheol after the taller scores more. They get a few strikes and spares and Jihoon is proud to say that he actually plays his all out there. Seungcheol also seems to be giving his all on the game. Guess no one refuses to lose. Jihoon actually doesn't mind spending the rest of the day with Seungcheol because at first, he wants to go back home if he wins but he changes his mind.

Spending a few hours with Seungcheol since breakfast this morning makes Jihoon realized that the taller is pleasing and comfortable to be with. Jihoon doesn't mind losing this game just to grant the taller's wish but he slowly prays that the taller won't wish for anything weird. Jihoon intentionally aims the ball aside so that the ball veers off the lane and it goes to the gutters on the side. Jihoon ends the game with only 6 pins knocked down and he can hear Seungcheol cheers happily at the back.

Jihoon smiles to himself before he cuts the action and turns around to face the taller. He doesn't want the taller to know that he lose intentionally. 

"So, where do you want to go and what do you want me to do?" Jihoon said casually.

Seungcheol stays silent, thinking of it before speaking up.

"Let's go to the funfair at Haeundae!"

"That's an hour-long of a subway ride you know…"

"I know…" Seungcheol smiles at the smaller and Jihoon can't do anything other than accept his lost.

 

**********

 

They arrive at the funfair around noon and it is pretty early for the funfair to get this many people at that time. There are a lot of couples walking together around the area in matching outfits, which is cute to Jihoon, and they come across a group of students once, probably skipping their classes but Seungcheol is no different from them anyway. Jihoon looks to the side to see Seungcheol and that bright smile of his doesn't wear off since this morning.

"You're that happy?" asked Jihoon.

"Yeah… I enjoy myself right now…" Seungcheol said satisfyingly while closing his eyes, trying to appreciate the freedom given to him on that moment.

"What do you have in mind? Any rides? Any games?" asked the smaller.

"Well, I don't really enjoy rides especially extreme rides so we can skip on that, right?" Seungcheol looks at Jihoon while rubbing his nape and that smile of his, showing the smaller how he really wants to avoid riding those and Jihoon nods.

"Then, maybe we can play games at the side stalls…" suggested the smaller and Seungcheol agrees to it right away.

They walk further more around the area to search for a stall game that suits to their liking but nothing attracts their attention so they end up grabbing some stall food instead. From hamburgers to hotdogs, from ice creams to cotton candies, from hot milo to ice bubble tea, they try every food available in the area and they decide to rest on a wooden bench for a while before starting on their adventure again.

 

"Say Jihoon-ssi…" Seungcheol breaks the silence between them and Jihoon turns to look at the taller.

"…it would be weird if I ask you out to ride that, right?" Seungcheol points at a direction and Jihoon's eyes follows before the smaller gives the taller a shocked expression for the second time that day.

"You're kidding me, right?!" Seungcheol laughs at the smaller's respond.

"Are you perhaps doing some kind of a psychology test on me because I really feel like you do…" Jihoon continues.

"Well, if you don't want to   "

"On one condition." Jihoon cuts the taller before he can finish his sentence.

"What is it?" Seungcheol asked curiously.

"You have to agree on what I'll suggest later…"

Seungcheol smiles because he can see that the smaller is blushing.

They both are queuing in line, waiting for their turn to ride the ferris wheel. Oh goodness  seriously Jihoon doesn't know what's gotten into the taller since he suddenly suggested to ride this but since the taller is paying so he doesn't really say anything. Jihoon looks at Seungcheol from the corner of his eyes to see that the taller is thinking about something. It looks serious and Jihoon doesn't want to stick his nose to nowhere it belongs to.

Soon, Jihoon and Seungcheol ride on the cabin, both sitting across one another and once the door is closed, none of them speak a word. Jihoon stays silent since Seungcheol is looking outside and instead of appreciating the dusk view, he is lost deep in his thoughts. So Jihoon takes out the earphone from his pocket and plugs it to his phone before he starts to play his favorite playlist again.

The ride is awkward for Jihoon since he doesn't know what to do to make the taller feel better and he knows nothing about the taller so he decides to not get himself involved any further.

 

Seungcheol seems to be back into reality when they reach the bottom. The door is open for them to come out and one of them steps out carefully and the other one follows back. Jihoon looks back at Seungcheol to find his bright smile again and he wonders if the taller finally spend the time thinking everything through. He hopes so.

"So Jihoon-ssi, what's next in schedule?"

Jihoon clears his throat before he continues.

"Would it be weird for me to ask you out to have dinner together and to spend the night over at my place?"

Jihoon blushes so hard; his cheeks warmed up and flushed red. He knows it is weird, very weird to ask someone he just knew today for a dinner and a night together but he just feels that it might ease the taller from the reality that he's facing. Maybe Jihoon can be Seungcheol's sweet escape and that doesn't hurt him in one bit. He actually loves the idea.

Seungcheol looks at the smaller to find those flushed red cheeks and he decides to tease Jihoon even more.

"Oh, you mean like a one night stand?" Jihoon is so surprised to hear that coming from Seungcheol because he didn't know that Seungcheol is this type of guy. Or maybe he is too fast to judge, jumping to a conclusion already because he can see how Seungcheol laughs at his reaction after that.

Very funny~

Well, technically they can do that since they both are adults, nothing is wrong with doing it and if Jihoon wants to judge Seungcheol for being this type of guy, the taller probably have done it a couple of times compared to his self. But Jihoon knows Seungcheol doesn't pin him for that kind of guy because Seungcheol didn't even lay a finger on him after all these time they spent together so the probability of the taller looking for that kind of thing is very low.

"Not like that, you idiot!" Jihoon decides to play along and when Seungcheol laughs even louder, he can't stop smiling warmly at the taller. He really wants to be Seungcheol's sweet escape even for one day and he tends to keep this escape as pure as the driven snow.

 

**********

 

Jihoon unlocks the door to his small apartment and welcomes Seungcheol inside. They spend a lot of time waiting for the subway since they go back from Haeundae during the peak hour and then they spend their dinner wholeheartedly; enjoying every bite of their meals and talking about random things and any kind of topics that pops up in their minds.

All they need is a good rest and a soundly sleep.

Once they both make their ways inside of the small apartment, Jihoon goes straight to his room while Seungcheol is still standing behind the closed main door, looking around. The apartment is rather simple, just nice for a man who is living alone.

From where he is standing, there is a small living room with a television hangs on the wall, a three-seater sofa, a coffee table and a line of curtains obscuring the view from outside. On his right are the small kitchenette and the small laundry room while on his left are the bathroom and the bedroom. Very simple but nice. Seungcheol somehow feels warm inside when he steps forward, heading towards the sofa.

Jihoon comes out of his bedroom to find Seungcheol lying down on the sofa while covering his eyes with his arms and his coat being removed and placed on the coffee table along with the briefcase. A few button come undone and his tie hangs loosely around his neck; revealing his defined collarbones to Jihoon and the smaller had to clear his throat to get the taller's attention.

"Here’s a towel for you." said Jihoon.

"Oh, thanks a lot!" Seungcheol sits up to take the towel from Jihoon and he can see that the smaller hesitates on something.

"What is it?"

"I'm not sure on how we supposed to sleep…"

Seungcheol laughs. Jihoon is really something.

"What do you mean? You can just sleep in your room while I sleep out here." Seungcheol pats on the sofa, making it comfier for him to sleep tonight. Jihoon doesn't say anything in return but Seungcheol notices that Jihoon doesn't like the idea, probably because he feels guilty for not providing Seungcheol the best hospitality when it should be Seungcheol who feels guilty for crashing in the smaller's place without any notice beforehand. Well, that's impossible since they don't know each other. Seungcheol laughs.

 

Seungcheol comes out of the bathroom, wearing his white shirt and his trousers back on. He rolls his tie neatly and puts it next to his briefcase before hanging his work coat on the coat hanger. He dries off his hair with the towel, ruffling every inch of his hair when he can see Jihoon in his nightwear, sitting at the dining table. Seungcheol decides to join the smaller and the smaller smiles at him before sipping to his hot choco.

Seungcheol takes a sit across the smaller and Jihoon passes him a mug of hot choco.

"I hope you're okay with that…"

"It's more than enough actually…"

Seungcheol grabs the mug and blows the hot choco off before slowly sipping to it. They both stay silent, not really wanting to say anything because the silent is pretty much comfortable compared to when they were at the ferris wheel ride. Seungcheol looks at Jihoon to find the smaller is already looking at him. They both don't want to break away and they don't know how to initiate a conversation this time because everything about that moment feels different compared to before.

Seungcheol smiles before putting the mug down on the table.

"Hey, thank you for everything…"

"No, it should be me who thanked you since you're paying everything today…"

Seungcheol smiles again but Jihoon knows something is definitely bothering the taller.

"You're… happy today?" Jihoon asks carefully, not wanting to hit that very spot because Seungcheol looks like he has been keeping and holding it in all to himself.

"Yeah… thanks to you, I had a very great time today and I'm happy…" Seungcheol says genuinely and Jihoon feels a slight satisfaction inside because he has the power to make the taller happy. He wishes that he can make Seungcheol happy every single day but he doesn't have any idea of where they are going after today ends.

They both look at each other again and after none of them wanting to break away, Seungcheol stands up and leans close to the smaller.

"Can I kiss you, Jihoon-ssi?"

Jihoon's face immediately turns red from the embarrassment. He would be lying if he doesn’t want to kiss the taller but he feels like they're going too fast if he allows it. There is more about Seungcheol that Jihoon wants to know and discover on his own and by accelerating his way through is not listed on the options.

"I can't believe you can get drunk just by drinking this…"

Jihoon says casually before standing up and taking the empty mug from the taller. Jihoon looks back at Seungcheol to find the taller smiles at him contently and the smaller smiles back. Seungcheol can't get his eyes off Jihoon even when the smaller turns around and heads towards the kitchen sink to wash the empty mugs. His eyes follow Jihoon obediently, every moves that the smaller make seems to light up his heart to the brightest. And every now and then, he finds himself smiling at the smaller from his cute little gestures.

Jihoon breaks Seungcheol from his imagination when the smaller grabs the taller's hand.

"We're sleeping in my room…" Jihoon says without looking back and continues to drag the taller into his room. Seungcheol finally feels a heat sweeping through his cheeks but he knows what the smaller meant. They're just going to share a bed together that night, nothing more than that but it still makes Seungcheol blushes like a high-schooler.

 

When they arrive at Jihoon's bedroom, everything is arranged neatly and aligned orderly. There's nothing much in the room and it is very spacious. There is a small workstation and a keyboard at a corner of the room that attracts Seungcheol's attention and as Jihoon let go of their hands, Seungcheol makes his way towards the corner. His fingers trail smoothly on the keyboard, wondering what Jihoon is doing with all these and he can come up with one assumption. Jihoon is making music of his own.

I didn't know he could make songs. Seungcheol smiles as he learns a new thing about Jihoon.

"You're sleeping on that side and here's your blanket…" Jihoon throws the blanket at Seungcheol's side on the bed before he proceeds on lying down at his side of the bed. Jihoon tugs himself warmly under his blanket and he turns to the side, not facing Seungcheol.

Seungcheol walks closer to the bed and settles down on his side. As he slips under his blanket, he decides to turn on Jihoon's side, facing the smaller's back view. Seungcheol feels something calming and soothing in his heart as he continues to look at the smaller from the back. Seungcheol doesn't know why he feels that way but he wants to find out.

Seeing Jihoon the first time this morning makes Seungcheol smiles to himself. After spending time together with the smaller makes him realized that he misses something in his life but he doesn't quite sure what it is. And now, since he is very close to the smaller, he doesn't know how to leave the smaller tomorrow. They said, separating is the new beginning, and perhaps separating their ways the next morning can lead to something else…?

"Goodnight~" said Seungcheol and as he expected, Jihoon doesn't say anything. Seungcheol feels anxious because they're going to separate tomorrow since there is no way the smaller wants him to stay. What they did today was just a one thing that happened in their lives and if something is about to happen next then that's a different story.

He closes his eyes, wishing for the best on whatever is going to happen tomorrow morning and little that he knows, Jihoon is actually smiling on the other side.

 

**********

 

He wakes up the next morning, feeling better than usual. He sits up on his bed and looks at the window where the sun shines and radiates its light through his room, brightening the gloomy environment surrounds him. He rubs the back of his neck, slowly drifting his fingers along his nape, not knowing what to do to fill his day. But then he remembers…

Jihoon turns around to find an empty space on the side of his bed.

"Seungcheol-ssi?"

Jihoon looks around his room to search for the taller's figure but he can see nothing. He gets out of his bed to look around his apartment, but there's no trace of the taller. His coat on the coat hanger, his briefcase on the coffee table, his shoes at the side of the main door, are not there. Jihoon ruffles his hair, frustration building inside of him because how can he left just like that?!

Jihoon walks in the kitchenette to drink some water until he spots a folded tissue paper under his mug. He carefully takes the tissue paper and opens it to find a very messy handwriting across it.

"How I wish yesterday was our everyday" –Seungcheol

 

Jihoon looks at the handwriting, not wanting to believe that they ended just like that. He can feel something is special between them and he knows that the taller feels the same way too but why, why he decides on their behalf when they could've talk about this matter seriously? Why?!

"You idiot…" Jihoon says softly as his tears roll down his cheeks.

 


Firstly, I can't write angst very well so yeah... Secondly, I'm not sorry for not continuing my chaptered fic at this point ^^ well, there will be times when the inspirations are going to hit me again so let's just pray for that moment to happen again and as soon as possible. I hope you guys enjoy this one too~