Protected Cinderella

Fairy Tale with twists of VIXX
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Author's Note: Here's the first chapter, which is very long to make up for not updating with the first story. Enjoy~

Hakyeon was a simple person; he didn’t need luxury items to feel happy and complete. Although his dad remarried, he didn’t despise his stepbrothers at all. Instead he really loved them, they were nice and would always be with him despite what their mother told them.

“Hongbin, Hyuk, you shouldn’t always be hanging around him all the time. He isn’t at our level and you don’t want to be seen with him now do you? Come boys, let’s go shopping.” Their mother told the boys while turning around and walking away, making sure to knock over the clothes that Hakyeon was folding.

Hongbin and Hyuk watched their mother leave and when they were sure that she had gone downstairs, they helped their hyung pick up the clothes and fold them as quick as they could.

“Guys, it’s ok. Go to mother before she comes up again. Don’t want her to create a fuss about you guys being with me.” Hakyeon tried to reassure them to go.

“But hyung… she’s mean to you and nice to us. I don’t like how she treats you even though she’s our mother. She doesn’t need to treat you in an unfair way just cause you’re not her own child.” Hyuk exclaimed, upset.

“Hyogi, it’s ok. At least I have you two; you guys are the nicest dongsaengs anyway can ask for. I’ve heard stories of other stepmothers and stepsisters/stepbrothers being mean to the other sibling cause they aren’t blood related. You guys help me, comfort me, and are always there for me. Although your mother doesn’t like it, you guys will sneak around just to see me. That’s the best thing you guys can do for me.” Hakyeon replied. He really meant what he said; the stories he’s read and heard from others were horrible, being treated badly by everyone with no one to lean on. He had Hongbin and Hyuk here, which was better than being alone.

“BOYS! WHERE ARE YOU? I hope you’re not helping our ‘servant’ with his chores? Don’t make me come up there!”

“Now go. Go before mother comes up here. Wherever you’re going, see if you can bring something back for me. Even if it’s something small I’ll be happy.” Hakyeon shooed them out, giving each of them a hug.

Hyuk didn’t want to go, he would rather be with his hyung and help him. He found helping Hakyeon with his chores soothing and fun. Learning the chores around the house was fun and allowed him some bonding time with Hakyeon. “I’ll try to get something for you! No matter how small or big it is, I will get it.”

“Silly boy. It’s fine by me, you guys are enough.” Hakyeon smiled while continuing to push them out the door.

“We’ll get you something hyung. After all, you’ve basically taken care of us ever since we came here.” Hongbin assured Hakyeon before dragging Hyuk downstairs to the front door.

“Those kids. How they always stick around me despite their mom is beyond me.” Hakyeon said before continuing to fold the clothes again.

Hakyeon wasn’t Hongbin or Hyuk’s brother; he was their stepbrother after his dad remarried again. But he wouldn’t change them for anyone else. While their mother was a typical stepmother, demanding Hakyeon to be the servant of the house and do everything, her sons were different. They would find a way to be around him and help him with his chores, despite their mother telling them to treat Hakyeon horribly. Hongbin, despite being the silent one, was kind. He took care of Hakyeon and Hyuk silently from behind them, making sure Hyuk wasn’t being too loud when helping Hakyeon (he could get loud when he did a chore correctly or when he was excited to be around Hakyeon) and on the lookout for their mother. Hyuk was the baby; he took an instant liking to Hakyeon upon first meeting him, with the motherly aura around Hakyeon, Hyuk grew attached. He loved to be around Hakyeon and helping him, he didn’t care about being scolded by his mother for always being around him. Hyuk was also a sweet, kind, thoughtful boy who bought extra candy, clothes (claiming he would grow and would eventually fit into a bigger size soon) and anything to give to Hakyeon.

Hakyeon decided to take a break. He could eat some of the candy/food that Hyuk and Hongbin bought him the last time they went out. He would just be mindful of the time and not spend too much time resting.

**********************************************************************

Meanwhile, on the other side of town, shopping.

“Boys, I heard rumors of there being a party for Prince Taekwoon’s 21st birthday soon and you boys will need to look your best if you want to marry. Of course, I’m not pressuring you or anything, but imagine me being a Queen next to one of you. Oh, I would be the talk of the town, being able to achieve being Queen and being fit for the title with my beauty.” Rambled their mother. She was in her own world now and the boys wandered off the store.

“Binnie hyung, we should get a suit for Hakyeon hyung so he can go too. He’s always stuck at home doing chores, he should go out too. Although I don’t want him to marry, just want to bring him out so he can have some fun.” Hyuk said while riffling through the suits.

“Hyuk, those aren’t you sizes. Those are too big for you; you should be getting this size. This is a perfect fit for you.”

“Mom! I’ll grow into it. I’m still a growing boy and I’ll grow before the Prince Taekwoon’s birthday so I can wear this suit. What if I grow and the suit is too small for me before the party? Wouldn’t it be better to get a bigger size and just tailor it if it’s still too big?” Hyuk reasoned with his mom.

Hongbin was shocked. He knew his brother was growing up and getting some sass in his speech. This is a side he’s never seen before, and he liked it. He liked his brother standing up for himself and in a way for Hakyeon. “Mom, he’s right. It’s better to get a bigger size for now and tailor it. If we get a smaller one, we wouldn’t be able to stretch it and there probably won’t be time to go get another suit if Hyuk does grow.”

Their mom was speechless. Never has her boys ever talked back to her. But she was seeing their point; a big suit can always be tailored down smaller while a smaller suit can’t have material added to it on short notice. “Okay boys, we’ll get that size, but not too big. Hyuk isn’t going to grow that big in a few weeks.” Their mother sighed.

Hongbin and Hyuk did a small high five for succeeding to buying a suit that will, hopefully, fit Hakyeon. He wasn’t that big, but it was hard to tell sometimes with him usually wearing the old hand me downs from them. Hongbin wanted to just take their mother’s card sometimes and drag Hakyeon to the stores so he can buy him a whole new wardrobe. But that was never going to happen… For now, Hyuk’s growing up/taller was their excuse.

They used the same excuse for shoes as well, except they bought several sizes for Hyuk in case his foot didn’t fit into one size if he did grow within the few weeks.

This plan was brilliant; they couldn’t believe they were able to do this without their mother being too suspicious. But their mother wasn’t always the smartest… or the best mother. She didn’t really know how to take care of them and allow them to be happy. She just assumed and made decisions on her own thinking the boys would be happy. But they knew to not always trick their mom, it was wrong to keep playing and using her money like that. So they only used this trick when needed.

**********************************************************************

Hakyeon didn’t know what time they were coming home, but after a small nap (and waking up when he heard the neighbors car thinking his stepmother and brothers were home) he rushed to look presentable and quickly did his chores as quickly as he could. Although they didn’t home until an hour later, so he occupied himself by scrubbing the dishes and kitchen area till you could use them as a mirror when his stepmother walked in.

“Boys, leave your bags in the car.” When she spotted her sons making a move to bring the bags into the house. “Hakyeon, bring the bags in. Don’t spill anything or get anything dirty at all, those are expensive suits/shoes that you’ll never understand for Prince Taekwoon’s birthday party in a few weeks. Not that you’ll need to know that information.”

“Yes, ma’am. I won’t get them dirty at all.” Hakyeon replied with his head bowed down, staring at the floor, making his way to the car as quick and quietly as he can.

“Guys, go inside. Hyung will take care of this.” Hakyeon shooed his brothers away. They just stood there till they were sure their mother was in her room blasting her music.

“No hyung, we’ll help you. Plus we got some stuff for you so we’ll go to Hyuk’s room and we’ll show you.” Hongbin replied with a smile on his face. He couldn’t contain his happiness and excitement.

In Hyuk’s room

Hyuk dumped the contents in the bags onto Hakyeon’s bed and quickly organized them. “Here hyung, take these with you to the bathroom and go change.” Hyuk pushed Hakyeon to the bathroom.

“Whoa there. What are these clothes? And why do you want me to change? I’m not wearing your clothes Hyuk.” Hakyeon tried to stop the pushing.

“They’re for you hyung. Now go change, I want to see if they fit and how good you’ll look!” Hyuk kept pushing Hakyeon into the bathroom. Eventually he got him in and pulled the door closed before Hakyeon could protest again.

Sighs “Guess I have no choice. Don’t think they’ll let me out… wouldn’t hurt to try. Just put it on quickly, show them and then change before mother comes in and spots me wearing Hyuk’s clothes.” Hakyeon reasoned with himself. “Now what did these two get me?”

Hakyeon held up the clothes and almost yelled out to his brothers and would’ve kicked the door down and his brain didn’t act quickly and tell him to not cause a commotion. “These kids… they actually got me a suit? How on earth did they pull that off? Why a suit? They usually get some t-shirts, sweaters, pants or socks or necessities. This isn’t something I’ll be able to wear around the house without mother noticing!” Hakyeon mumbled to himself.

Nonetheless, he tried on the suit and was surprised that the suit fit. Although it was a bit loose in some areas, it was nice and fit him nicely. He didn’t want to think how much it cost and why they dot it for him. But he’ll show his brothers and then be on his way to making dinner. “Guys, can you let me out? I wore the suit, don’t you guys want to see it.”

Hongbin and Hyuk opened the bathroom door and were shocked. Their hyung looked good, although they could tell some places were too loose from him being too skinny, but it fit him and it looked nice on him. Hongbin could tell Hyuk was happy, he was glad that his brother came up with such a good plan to get this suit. Now they just needed to hide the suit from their mother or come up with a good explanation why Hyuk couldn’t wear it; which was easy, as they both have walk in closets, they could always say it got lost in the sea of suits they have.

Hyuk’s eyes were shining, Hakyeon could tell. He could practically hear Hyogi’s happiness, it was radiating out of him everywhere. Hakyeon didn’t have the heart to tell him that he couldn’t accept the suit, even though he didn’t know why they got him a suit.

“Hyung… YOU LOOK FANTASTIC!!! Ohhhh, I’m so glad we got it for you! Now you can come with us to a party sometimes, like say, next week!” Hyuk exclaimed.

“Whoa, whoa, whoa! You’re kidding me right Hyogi and Binnie? I’m not going to any party, certainly not in a suit that you guys got me; although I do love it, I mean you guys didn’t have to get me one. I mean, what makes you think mother will allow me to go? She doesn’t even want me to go shopping with you guys when you go out. When it comes to grocery shopping, I go the next day in another family car as to not be associated to you guys.”

“It’s okay hyung, we told a little white lie to mom. It’s your suit, but mine as well. See it’s a bit big for me now, but I’m still a growing boy, and will eventually grow into it. We told mother that if I don’t grow into it by next week we can have it tailored to fit me instead of worrying about getting another suit. Better to tailor a big suit than have a smaller size suit. Plus, I have so many suits; mother won’t even know that I’m not wearing this one. It’ll just be lost in the neverland of clothes.” Hyuk explained.

“Hyogi, even if mother did buy that and it works. I’m not going to that party. Someone will recognize me and I’ll get in trouble if mother finds out.”

“Hyung, the party isn’t near and we don’t know all the details. Mother just mentioned it; we haven’t gotten any invitation or anything. We’ll figure something out when the time comes.” Hongbin said. “Now, let’s go to the kitchen. I’m hungry and would like to eat something.”

“That’s true. But I’m still not going to the party! No matter what happens. I don’t want to get in trouble and I don’t want you two to get in trouble if mother finds out what you guys did… aka buying me a suit.” Hakyeon scolded softly. “But we’ll figure that out when the time comes then. Let’s go, I have to get started on dinner as well. I’ll cook something small for you Binnie.”

Everything was normal (well as normal as it could be). Hakyeon did his chores and listened to his mother when she needed something. His only enjoyment was the little moments that his brothers would spend with him and play with him or help him. Hakyeon forgot about the “supposed party” for Prince Taekwoon. Until the letter arrived and he answered the door…

Knock

–Silence-

Two knocks

–Silence-

Harder knocks turns into pounding

“Yes, yes. Please hold on. Don’t need to break the door down.” Hakyeon said loudly, keeping the last part to himself under his breath. “Yes, did something happen? What was with the insisting pounding?”

-Silence-

Hakyeon was organizing the flowers by the door when he opened the door and didn’t get a look at the person standing. He didn’t even know who was at the door, if it was the Prince or King himself he wouldn’t even know.

“So what can I do for you?” Hakyeon said after fixing the flowers. “Wow!” Hakyeon was speechless, he didn’t who this person was, but whoever he was, they were gorgeous even if he was wearing a mask. Almost immediately, Hakyeon looked down, he knew he wasn’t suppose to show his face or look at someone for too long (especially if he was answering the door in place of mother). But he saw the horses, cars, and guards for this one person, Hakyeon knew he was someone important so he looked up and greeted the mysterious person.

Taekwoon’s POV

“Why do I have to have a party? It’s just a birthday and why the whole kingdom at that?! That’s a lot of people and so much work and greeting. You know how I am with people?” Taekwoon questioned his parents

“Woonie, it’s for the best. It’s your 21st birthday, which only comes once! A time for you to choose a bride or groom, we just want you to be happy. And what better place to find her/him than at a party where everyone in the town is invited. It’s much easier this way than looking from house to house or in town where everyone will either hide or gather around you, with this method, we celebrate your birthday and you look for a bride/groom at once. Talk about killing two birds with one stone!” His mother explained.

Taekwoon didn’t know why he asked. He knew what they were doing; yet he wanted to see if he could get away with it. He knew it wouldn’t work… but it didn’t hurt to try. 

Sighs “Fine, we’ll have my birthday and I’ll try to find a groom/bride then. But don’t expect me to find one. I don’t intend to use this method to find someone, that’s just weird.” Taekwoon pointed a finger at his parents while glaring a little.

He proceeded to walk away when… “By the way sweetie, you’ll be handing out the invitations yourself.” His mother exclaimed happily.

“WHAT?! You… wait, what?!!!!” Taekwoon was too in shock to process his thoughts.

“You heard you mother. This will give you an extra chance to see everyone. Wear a mask if you want to so you don’t show your face at everyone.” His father reassured him.

Taekwoon was going to wear a mask now! His father just gave him a way to escape showing his face, which he was glad for. He didn’t want to have all the girls fawning and throwing themselves at him when they saw who he was.

What he couldn’t believe was… he had to deliver the invitations to everyone in town… “Ugh, what did I ever do to have deserved this sort of punishment? Why can’t I just live normally without having to be a Prince…?” Taekwoon thought. “I want to live like those three brothers I always see. They don’t live too far from the castle, and one of them never seems to leave the house the same time as the others. The other two aren’t evil, they don’t mistreat the “maid like guy”, but the mother seems horrible. I always hear her ordering him to do stuff. He’s always doing housework when I sneak out… I want to be his friend/brother, but I want us to live simply, we wouldn’t have to care about anything. Just living peacefully enjoying life.” Taekwoon sighed, “Life isn’t simple though…”

What Taekwoon couldn’t believe was that he had to deliver his first invitation to the house that he always saw on his sneaking out adventures.

Back to Hakyeon and Taekwoon standing at the door

Hakyeon was still speechless and didn’t know what to do. All he could do was stare at the mysterious person than look back down and repeat.

Taekwoon was no better, he couldn’t believe the person who answered the door was the person that he wanted to befriend and someone he wanted to take away from the evil mother’s orders every day. (Taekwoon heard the orders that the mother always gave him. e.g. clean the toilet, make sure it’s spotless; cook dinner and make the kitchen spotless as well; mop the floor till I can see my face shine on it…etc. They were horrible and no one should have to do those things, not even his maids.)

They continued to stare at each other, speechless until they heard a car pull up behind them.

Hakyeon broke out of his trance first and closed the door as quick as he could. Taekwoon saw this and stuck him foot to keep the door from closing, “Wait, I have an invitation for this household. Please take it.” Taekwoon handed an invitation through the closed door quickly before he released his food and the door closed shut.

“May I help you?”

Taekwoon took a deep breath before facing the person. “Hello ma’am, I am here to hand out invitation for the Prince’s birthday party. Please take these invitation a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter