Kongpob

Their Storm

Kong knew something was wrong even before he entered the hall. After all, P’Arthit had summoned the freshmen an hour before the engineering competition judging started for task two. Mutterings of complaint was already underway, especially in Kong’s competition group. Though their prototype of a spy recording camera device was completed, Kong still itched to do some last minute checks and be completely ready for the judging panel. Why was P’Arthit calling a meeting now? If they were late for the judging, they’d be disqualified.

Nevertheless, Kong’s heart fluttered at the thought of seeing P’Arthit again. He had missed the senior intensely for the past few days, and it had taken all he had to stay away from P’Arthit. He knew the third year’s competition group were very busy finishing their own prototype, and he didn’t want to distract P’Arthit.

Still, last night, Kong couldn’t help but leave a bottle of pink milk by P’Arthit’s door.

Kong’s smile fell from his face when he entered the hall. Something was definitely wrong. P’Arthit stood in his normal position at the front of the hall, but he looked different. His whole body was tense, his face stricter than usual while a small bruise decorated his left cheeks. Behind P’Arthit, his friends – P’Knock, P’Bright – looked confused and kept glancing at the clock.

“Hurry up!” P’Arthit barked at the last few students.

Once all the freshmen were seated, P’Arthit glared at them. Kong tried to catch P’Arthit’s eye, hoping to understand why he was so wound up, but P’Arthit seemed to be trying his best to avoid looking at Kong.

“It’s come to my attention,” P’Arthit yelled, “that you have not been on your best behaviour this week. Some of you even got into arguments with other university students!”

Kong frowned. He hadn’t heard of any incidents. In fact, the whole competition was running smoothly with other university students interacting happily with their campus batch.

“All of you – a hundred squats now!”

With a sigh, everyone got started. Kong was too distracted to feel the cramping pain that quickly developed in his thighs and knees. He wondered why P’Arthit was being like this on such an important day. It was out of character, and Kong knew his worries were right upon seeing the concerned looks on P’Arthit’s friends’ faces.

Time rushed by and soon there was only fifteen minutes to go before they had to be at the theatre to present to the judges. Kong panted; sweat trickling down his neck as they all did another fifty squats. He couldn’t understand why P’Arthit was being like this when the third years needed to be at the theatre in fifteen minutes too. He stared at P’Arthit, and saw the way P’Arthit was clenching his fists so tightly, turning his palm completely white. Behind the sternness in P’Arthit’s glare, his eyes seemed conflicted – and almost scared.

Kong’s eyes widened. He had never seen P’Arthit’s scared before. It was one of the reasons why he liked P’Arthit so much – the senior’s strength and hidden kindness. No matter what, P’Arthit was always stoic and determined – which was why it was so fun to see him blush or stutter. 

Nodding to himself, Kong stopped doing the squats and raised his hand. The other freshmen seemed to sigh in relief and sat down.

“0062, Kongpob,” Kong declared himself. “My group needs to be in front of the judging panel soon. We have to go now to get our prototype and be ready.”

“Your request is rejected,” P’Arthit yelled. “Get back to the squats!”

Kong gritted his teeth. “But we have to go now, P’Arthit! You have to be at the judging now too!”

P’Arthit glared at him. “I said get back to the squats!”

Kong glared back, feeling both confused and betrayed. How could P’Arthit jeopardise their chances of winning like this? Especially when they had put in so much work? He debated about walking out by himself and getting to the judges, but decided against it. P’Arthit would never forgive him. Kong returned to the squats, to the disappointment of his team.

Two minutes passed. P’Arthit’s friends started to look anxious and tried speaking to P’Arthit, but he ignored them and just glared at the freshmen. Something important seemed to be going through his mind. It was when there was only ten minutes to go before the judging, did P’Arthit speak.

“Stop.”

The freshmen stopped squatting. Kong gazed at P’Arthit, willing him to let them go. 

P’Arthit pinched the bridge of his nose and waved his hand. He sighed. “Just go. Now.”

Kong didn’t wait to confirm. He ran out with his competition groupmates, dashing through the corridors to get their prototype. At the back of his mind, a question still circled. Why had a sad expression flickered through P’Arthit’s face when he let them go?



The competition went well. Better than well – Kong’s group won first place again, and the seniors who arrived a bit later than them, also placed first. It put their university firmly in first place, a position that Nuat University couldn’t beat even if they placed first in the third task. Knowing that his university had already won left Kong in high spirits. He received many congratulatory hugs and words for the rest of the night, and went celebrating with Em, Oak, Tiw and Wad.

“Here’s to us winning!” Em laughed as they chinked their glasses together.

Kong didn’t drink the alcohol, knowing that with classes early morning tomorrow, he’d regret it. But it was fun watching his friends relax and laugh with each other.

“We almost didn’t win because of that sour-faced jerk,” Oak said with a grimace.

“Don’t talk about him like that,” Kong said. He was surprised at the defensiveness in his tone. “P’Arthit must have had his reasons.”

“Like what?” Em asked. “We almost got disqualified cause we were late.”

Kong kept quiet. He had tried speaking to P’Arthit after the competition was over, but P’Arthit was already heading out of the theatre. Kong saw Dusit glaring at P’Arthit’s back, clearly furious at losing the competition. Something had happened between Dusit and P’Arthit. Kong was sure of it. His insides twisted at the thought of Dusit and P’Arthit interacting.

Kong rarely hated people on first sight, but he knew that Dusit was someone to avoid the instant he saw him. There was something about Dusit’s eyes – like a snake’s eyes, with no care for their prey.

It was midnight when Kong and his friends headed home. It rained heavily but the wind was blowing too hard to use an umbrella. Kong tried not to smile each time one of his friends bumped into each other or fell down.

“Kong.” Em staggered and clung onto Kong. “I’m seeing things.”

“What are you seeing?” Kong laughed.

“I see P’Arthit,”Em giggled.

Startled, Kong turned to look at where Em was looking at. Someone sat on the campus bench with their head down, but Kong could tell that it was P’Arthit. His heart twisted to see P’Arthit just allowing the rain to drench him. Something was definitely wrong.

“You go home first,” he told his friends, before hurrying to the bench.

“P’Arthit!”

P’Arthit jumped, startled to see him. Kong was relieved to see the usual frown settle on P’Arthit’s face. “Kongpob. What do you want?”

“Why are you getting wet in the rain, P’Arthit?”

Kong expected a normal dismissive answer. After all, P’Arthit was always pushing him away, seemingly afraid about what their relationship would bloom into. Kong knew P’Arthit liked him back at least a little. He wished P’Arthit would let him into his heart more.

“Just go, Kongpob.”

Kong’s eyes widened to hear the crack in P’Arthit’s voice. “PP’Arthit, please stop pushing me away. I can see you’re upset. Talk to me.”

P’Arthit raised his head and his eyes met Kong’s. His eyes were beautiful, Kong thought absently. Dark and stormy, just like the man himself.

“Kong please – “ P’Arthit drew in a deep shuddering breath. “Just go.”

“I’m not leaving you like this P’Arthit.”

P’Arthit stood up, ready to storm away, but Kong grabbed his arm. To his surprise, P’Arthit leaned into his touch, body violently shuddering.

“P’Arthit!” Kong gasped. “You’re shaking! How long have you been in the rain?”

P’Arthit looked dazed. He mumbled. “I don’t know – since the competition finished, I think.”

“That was five hours ago!” Kong removed his jacket and wrapped it around P’Arthit. “I’ll take you to your room.”

“No. I don’t want to go to my room.”

Kong blinked, confused. “Okay. Let’s go to my room then.”

P’Arthit didn’t resist as Kong ushered him. The walk to his room was thankfully short, but also very silent. Kong was getting worried at the sad frown that rested on P'Arthit's brows.

Kong’s room was warm and he quickly handed P’Arthit a towel. P’Arthit took it with a nod and went into the shower. Kong dried himself and got changed too. He’d shower the next morning instead.

The shower stopped and P’Arthit stepped out with just a towel around his waist. Kong’s mouth went dry and a blush appeared on his face.

“Kongpob,” P’Arthit said impatiently. “Don’t you think I need some spare pyjamas?”

“Here they are, P’Arthit,” Kong handed them to P’Arthit, trying not to let his eye linger on P’Arthit’s smooth skin. He gave P’Arthit privacy to change, only turning around again when P’Arthit was done. Kong grinned. The pyjamas were a bit small but with P’Arthit’s fluffy hair and sulky face, he looked like a teddy bear.

“What are you smiling about?” P’Arthit snapped. He went to lie on the left side of the bed, and leaned his head against a pillow.

“P’Arthit,” Kong tentatively approached the bed. “Can I sleep on the bed too?”

“I suppose,” P’Arthit said shortly.

Kong beamed and switched the light on before getting into the bed. He lay down as close to P’Arthit as possible, without the senior getting angry. “Can you tell me what’s wrong, P’Arthit?”

P’Arthit was silent for a long time before he finally spoke. “Why are you so concerned?”

Kong couldn’t answer. It stuck in his throat. P’Arthit to his side, facing Kong. His eyes were shut but his breathing too normal to be asleep. Long minutes passed. Kong was happy to just lie there, trying to memorise P’Arthit’s face countours.

“Thanks for the pink milk last night,” P’Arthit said quietly.

Kong grinned. “You’re welcome, P’P’Arthit.”

“Now, just go the hell to sleep.”

Soon, Kong had drifted into a light sleep. Sometime during the night, he woke up to see P’Arthit almost cuddling him. Kong made a sleepy note to tease P’Arthit about it later, but when he woke up in the morning, P’Arthit was already gone.



Kong’s answer to why P’Arthit was so sad came at precisely twelve in the afternoon. He was sat in the computer room of their university library, studying with Em, Oak, Tiw, May and a few other classmates. They were just in the middle of writing their reports when everyone’s inbox buzzed with a new email. Automatically, they all checked it.

Kong frowned at the new message. It came from an unknown encrypted sender, and the email was titled “He loves it”. Kong clicked open the attachment and waited a second for it to load. A collection of pictures opened and Kong’s jaw dropped just as yelps of surprise filled the computer room.

He stared at the computer, shock paralysing him. Pictures of P’Arthit filled the screen. Not just any pictures. These pictures showed P’Arthit lying on a bed wearing only his tight black boxers. P’Arthit’s hands were tied behind his back and he seemed to be trying to hide his face. But the camera’s angles captured everything, leaving no doubt about who it was.

Nausea hit Kong. He had fantasised before about P’Arthit waiting for him on the bed, inviting him with a challenging smirk. To see these pictures that showed P’Arthit helpless, with fury and more fear mixed in his eyes, made Kong feel sick. P’Arthit hadn’t consented to these pictures.

A look to the side showed every computer screen filled with the same photos of P’Arthit. Kong clenched his fists to see some of his classmates sniggering, still openly staring at the photos.

“Serves him right,” one classmate said with a guffaw. “Let’s see the jerk try to bully us again. We’ll just print these pictures and stick them everywhere.”

“Shut up!” Kong shouted. Everyone in the room jumped to hear him raise his voice. They looked as shocked to see him angry as they did to see those photos.

Kong strode to the centre of the computer room. “Delete it! Delete the email and the pictures! Now!”

His friends hurried to do so but some classmates looked reluctant. One of them, a boy called Aat, squared up to Kong.

“Why should we?” Aat yelled. “This is the perfect payback to Arthit for treating us like rubbish.”

Kong couldn’t remember ever being so angry. His mother had always commented on how well he kept a lid on his temper, on how he managed to keep calm and challenge those antagonising him with words that hurt. But now, Kong felt as though there was a monster inside him. It tore him inside to see P’Arthit be hurt so badly. He knew P’Arthit would rather run a thousand laps, endure countless beatings, rather than have his pride torn down like this.

“Aat,” Kong could barely recognise his voice, which had turned silky and dangerous. “You will delete those pictures or I will destroy you.” He narrowed his eyes at Aat, who took a step back.

“Yeah,” Aat mumbled. “Fine.”

Kong left the computer room and raced through the corridors. It was too late anyway. The email had been sent to the whole engineering faculty’s students. It was impossible to make sure everyone deleted the email. Kong ached to find P’Arthit and comfort him. Where could P’Arthit be –

Kong stopped by the field. Just meters away, Dusit was laughing about something on his phone with his friends. He looked smugly satisfied.

Kong stared. Everything started fitting together like a jigsaw puzzle. The reason why P’Arthit had been so upset yesterday, why P’Arthit had almost made them disqualified for the competition, why Dusit had looked so angry yesterday.

Everything made sense now.

Before he could think things through, his feet carried him towards Dusit. His anger, his sadness for P’Arthit was plain on his face, and Dusit grinned to see him approaching.

“Kongpob, first year engineering student,” Dusit greeted him, while his friends made faces. “What’s the matter?”

It took everything Kong had not to attack Dusit. “You took the photos of P’Arthit. Then you blackmailed him by saying you would send everyone the photos if he didn’t disqualify my competition group and his. When he let our university win anyway, you sent the email.”

Dusit’s smile was disgusting. The man was handsome, even Kong had to admit that, but all Kong could see was the evilness leaking out of Dusit’s face.

“He tried to call for you when we forced our way into his room,” Dusit laughed. “He opened his window and yelled at the room across from him. I was confused why until I saw you studying in that room.”

Anger vanished, to be replaced by deep regret. Kong felt as though something was biting him from the inside. P’Arthit had yelled for him for help, but he hadn’t heard. Why? Kong bit his lip, feeling tears gather in his eyes. Why was he so useless? He couldn’t even protect the man he…

Dusit leaned forward to whisper into Kong’s ear. “I didn’t get a chance to have my way with P’Arthit that night. But he will come to my room tonight by himself.” He stepped back to wink at Kong. “I wonder what his skin tastes like.”

Something in Kong exploded. He aimed a punch right at Dusit’s eye, putting everything he had into it. Just as the punch was about to connect, someone jerked him away.

Startled, Kong turned around. His eyes widened to see that it was P’Arthit who had stopped him.

“P’Arthit – “ Kong faltered, unsure about what to say. P’Arthit’s face was blank, but Kong knew that inside, P’Arthit was breaking apart. He wanted to pull the senior into a tight hug. Shield him from everyone.

“Come with me,” P’Arthit ordered, not even looking at Dusit. He grabbed Kong’s arm and pulled him along.

Kong tried to resist but P’Arthit’s grip was too strong. They walked through a crowded canteen, and Kong’s heart sank to see the mocking looks some shot at P’Arthit. Many started whispering something behind P’Arthit’s back and some were openly laughing or jeering at him. Kong tried pulling his arm out of P’Arthit’s hand, intent on confronting them, but P’Arthit wouldn’t let Kong go.

They reached an empty classroom. P’Arthit pulled Kong inside and closed the classroom door.

Kong stared at P’Arthit’s face, unable to understand how P’Arthit can look so composed when he felt like crying himself. “P’Arthit.”

P’Arthit heaved a long sigh. “Calm down, Kongpob.”

Kong couldn’t take it. He cried out, “How can I be calm after what Dusit did to you? How – “

“Kongpob!” P’Arthit yelled, and it was enough to silence Kong. P’Arthit swallowed hard and his voice lowered to a whisper. “I’m upset too.”

Kong cursed himself. Of course P’Arthit was strong and mature, and of course, he wasn’t going to show his emotions so freely. He tentatively put a hand on P’Arthit’s shoulder. “P’Arthit, what do we do?”

P’Arthit gave him a small smile. “I’ll carry on as normal. I have nothing to be ashamed of.” His voice cracked but he quickly set his face blank again. “But I need you to keep your head down. Don’t go near Dusit.”

Kong couldn’t stop the tears that trickled down his cheeks. Everytime he thought he knew P’Arthit, the man kept surprising him. And this whole thing wasn’t fair. Why did someone as brilliant as P’Arthit have to get hurt?

“Wait,” Kong said, a thought striking him. “Dusit said you were going to his room tonight. What did he mean?”

P’Arthit looked away. “It’s nothing.”

Kong shook his head and grabbed P’Arthit’s hand before he could move away. “P’Arthit, tell me.”

“It’s none of your business, Kongpob.” P’Arthit sounded tired.

“You can’t go to him!” Kong cried out. “Why would you?“

“I –“ P’Arthit looked at him for a few long seconds before nodding to himself. “I have to go to Dusit.”

Something was poking out from P’Arthit’s pocket – an envelope. Instinct told Kong that it was related and he snatched it before P’Arthit could stop him.

“Kongpob, give it back!”

Kong hurried to the other end of the classroom and opened the envelop. In it was a paper reading “Come to my room at midnight, or these pictures are the next to be emailed out”. Kong gritted his teeth – Dusit was blackmailing P’Arthit with more pictures. He dropped the letter to look at the photos.

Kong stopped breathing.

There were multiple photos of him. Him. Showering in the communal bathroom a few days ago when his ensuite shower somehow stopped working. The photos were explicit, revealing Kong’s whole body. Kong’s grip on the photos shook. If these photos were sent to everyone, he’d be the laughing stock of the school.

“I got the envelope this morning. I didn’t look at the photos,” P’Arthit said quietly from behind. “Once I glimpsed what the photos showed, I put them away.”

Kong nodded. His heart raced with terror. He couldn’t think straight. These photos couldn’t get out. How would he explain to it to his mother? How –

“Kongpob,” P’Arthit said gently. He turned Kong around and lightly squeezed his shoulder. “Don’t worry, I’ll go to Dusit tonight. Those photos won’t be sent to anyone.”

Kong shook his head and clasped P’Arthit’s hand on his shoulder. “No! You can’t! I won’t let you!”

“It’s not the time to be a hysterical child, Kongpob. The teachers aren’t going to do anything if we report it to them, and somehow Dusit will get these photos seen by everyone. His friends probably have copies they could upload at any time. And we can’t go to the police without proof of who took the photos and that Dusit is the one blackmailing us.”

Kong’s lip trembled but he forced himself to remain strong. If P’Arthit could comfort him at such a time, then he had to be strong for P’Arthit too. “No matter what, P’Arthit, I won’t let you go to Dusit. I won’t!” Just the idea of Dusit touching P’Arthit revolted him.

P’Arthit stared at him with surprise. “You’d rather I don’t go to Dusit, and your pictures get sent to everyone in the university?”

Kong met P’Arthit’s eyes, trying to convey his determination and genuineness in his gaze. “Yes.”

“Kongpob,” P’Arthit whispered, “stop playing the hero.”

“I’m not P’Arthit.” Kong stepped closer to the man. “I’m trying to protect a man precious to me.”

P’Arthit broke eye contact and stepped away. “Well, I’m not going to let your photos circulate around the campus.”

Kong nodded. He felt calmer now that he was committed to keeping P’Arthit away from Dusit.  “P’Arthit. I’ve got an idea.”

“An idea?”

Kong thought for a second before grinning. “It’s a really good idea, P’Arthit.”



Two minutes to midnight. Kong and P’Arthit stood in front of Dusit’s room – in an isolated corridor of the furthermost apartment from the campus. They looked at each other with worry.

“You’re sure this will work?” P’Arthit asked.

“Definitely,” Kong said. “I made it myself. Make sure you don’t lock the door, P’Arthit.”

“I’m not an idiot,” P’Arthit scowled.

Kong smiled apologetically even though he felt nauseous with worry. They had spent the whole day in Kong’s room, going over the plan again and again. Kong had noticed that P’Arthit’s phone kept ringing, his friends trying to contact him. But P’Arthit had just ignored the phone, glaring at Kong when he suggested to P’Arthit to pick it up.

“Okay,” P’Arthit took a deep breath and stepped closer to Dusit’s door. He glanced at Kong. “You’ll be here, right?”

“Of course,” Kong nodded. He slipped into the cupboard in the corridor and peeked through the tiny gap of the cupboard door.

P’Arthit knocked on Dusit’s door. Kong clenched his fists to see Dusit opening the door with a smug grin.

“I’m here,” P’Arthit said sharply. “So delete all of Kong’s pictures now.”

Dusit laughed the sort of laugh Kong imagined from a serial killer. “We’ll delete the pictures after the night is over.” He grabbed P’Arthit and tried to pull him in. P’Arthit wrenched Dusit’s hand off.

“I can walk myself,” P’Arthit said icily. He walked in and slammed the door shut behind him.

Kong hurried out of the cupboard. He slowly opened Dusit’s door, relieved to find it unlocked. How had P’Arthit managed to distract Dusit from the fact that he hadn’t locked the room door?

Kong peeked through the door’s gap and his heart sank. P’Arthit was kissing Dusit, his hands cupping Dusit’s face. It was a passionate kiss and Kong had to force himself to stay still despite his mind screaming at him to tear P’Arthit away from Dusit.

Calm down, Kong scolded himself. Obviously P’Arthit was kissing Dusit to distract him from the unlocked door. Kong sighed. But why did it feel like someone had stabbed his heart upon just seeing P’Arthit kiss another.

“Enough.” P’Arthit pulled away from Dusit. “I want to get this over with quickly.”

Dusit looked slightly dazed from the kiss. “We have all night. That’s the deal.”

P’Arthit glared at Dusit. “You spread pictures of me through that email.”

Dusit shrugged. “You should have disqualified yourself and your freshman from the competition when I told you to. It’s your fault.”

“My fault that you forced your way into my room and took those shameful pictures of me? My fault that you’re now blackmailing me to make me sleep with you cause you took those pictures of Kong ?”

Dusit picked up a beer bottle and took a slug of it. “That’s true. It wasn’t hard to take those pictures of Kong. He was half asleep from working so hard for the competition.” He stared at P’Arthit with hungry, hooded eyes, like a snake waiting to pounce. “Now, take off your clothes.”

P’Arthit scoffed. “No.”

Dusit frowned warningly. “What do you mean by “no”? I know you care for that freshman boy. If you don’t listen to me, his pictures will be leaked online.”

P’Arthit grinned at Dusit, his normal cocky grin. He turned over his gear necklace to show a small black box stuck on behind it. On the box, a red light flashed. “This is a spy recording device my freshman group made for the competition. It has just recorded everything you said.” P’Arthit winked at Dusit. “I’ll be taking it to the police, and the police will be deleting all your pictures.”

Kong smiled at the look of terror on Dusit’s face, but his smile dropped when Dusit snarled and charged straight at P’Arthit.

“Give me that!” Dusit yelled.

P’Arthit backed away but Dusit aimed a kick that connected with P’Arthit’s stomach. P’Arthit collapsed with a gasp, clutching his stomach. He curled up, trying to stop Dusit’s hand from grabbing his necklace.

Kong ran into the room and used all his strength to grab Dusit’s collar and shove the man away from P’Arthit.

“P’Arthit!” Kong knelt by the coughing P’Arthit. “Are you –“

He didn’t get to finish the questions. Strong hands wrapped around the back of his neck, twisting him up and pushing him into the wall. Kong’s head bashed against the wall and the burst of pain was enough to make him sink down. He gasped as hands again wrapped around his neck, this time tighter. Kong choked as Dusit strangled him with a demented grin. He couldn’t breathe. His vision started to dim, his eyelids starting to close as he starved from oxygen.

“Get off him!”

P’Arthit’s bellow barely reached Kong’s ears. The pressure choking his throat disappeared, and Kong blinked his eyes open a few seconds later. His eyebrows rose to see Dusit passed out on the floor, blood trickling from his mouth. P’Arthit stood over Dusit, his face set with determination and his knuckles bloody.

Kong laughed hoarsely through his bruised throat. “P’Arthit, remind me to never annoy you.”

P’Arthit’s gaze softened as he looked at Kong. “You always annoy me, 0062 Kongpob.”

Kong merely laughed again, and he thought that the answering rueful grin across P’Arthit’s face was the one of the most beautiful things he’d ever seen.



Everything happened too fast for Kong to really follow. He and P’Arthit called the police, who quickly arrived on scene. They were two female officers who Kong liked instantly from their stern stances and honest faces. After listening to their story and watching the evidence, one of the ladies arrested Dusit while another searched through Dusit’s computer. Dusit, who had regained consciousness soon after, turned out to be a rat as he listed all his friends’ names who had been involved in assaulting P’Arthit.

“We’ll take Dusit to the station with us for questioning.” The police officer said to P’Arthit. “And we’ll call for back up to arrest all his friends too. They won’t be arrested for long – but we can build a case with the evidence we find on their computers and phones. It’ll probably result in them being expelled from university at the very least.”

P’Arthit nodded with a shrug. “As long as you make sure Kong’s pictures all get deleted in the end.”

The police officer nodded. “Don’t worry about that. And I’ll contact your university’s head to ensure all your pictures are deleted off the system too.”

“Thank you.”

Kong could only nod and mumble a thank you as well. He hurried after P’Arthit, who headed towards the university. Luckily most students were asleep, so there weren’t too many inquisitive eyes looking as to why the police was in their campus. Kong walked next to P’Arthit, just by the running lines of the field.

“P’Arthit?”

“What?”

“Are you hurt anywhere?” Kong asked. His neck still ached from Dusit’s strangling, but he was worried that Dusit’s kick to P’Arthit’s abdomen had injured something.

“I’m not a baby, Kongpob. I’m fine.”

Silence fell again. Kong cleared his throat. “I think you should speak to your friends, P’Arthit.”

P’Arthit stopped, and Kong almost walked into his back. “I can’t face them. I’m too embarrassed.”

Kong side stepped to stand in front of P’Arthit. He could understand the man’s fear. And if those had been his pictures, he didn’t know what he’d do either. P’Arthit gazed at the floor, not meeting Kong’s eyes.

“Your friends are the ones you need to be with at this time,” Kong said clearly. “They will defend you, they will protect you, and help you up when you feel down. That’s what a friend is. I think you have nice friends, P’Arthit. But if they don’t do all that, remember that you will always have me.”

Kong congratulated himself as P’Arthit smiled.

“Kongpob, is your neck okay?” P’Arthit asked. He reached out to check Kong’s neck, his hand lightly touching the bruises. “I know I’ve wanted to strangle you sometimes but this looks like it hurts.”

Kong stood as still as a statue. Warmth had rushed to his face, and his heart raced to feel P’Arthit’s fingers on his neck. “P’Arthit – “

“Arthit!”

It was P’Knot, and P’Prem and P’Bright, rushing towards them. P’Arthit instantly stepped away fom Kong, startled and apprehensive. P’Prem reached them first.

“Where have you been all day?” P’Prem yelled. “Why were you speaking to the police? Who were the ones who took those pictures of you? Tell me! I’ll break their necks!”

“I’ll help!” P’Bright said with a laugh.

P’Knot looked at P’Arthit with concerned eyes. “You should have come straight to us, idiot.”

P’Arthit gazed back at them, and Kong could tell he was both relieved and happy. Kong forced a smile, wishing that he’d had more time to be alone with P’Arthit, and stepped away from them all. “I’ll be on my way back to my room, seniors. Good night.”

He was around ten metres away when footsteps echoed behind him. Kong turned, surprised to see that it was P’Arthit while the others waited in the same spot as before.

“Kongpob,” P’Arthit said with a scowl. “Get to your room safely, and be there for tomorrow’s meeting.”

“Yes, P’Arthit,” Kong smiled. Why was it that the more P’Arthit scolded him, the more affectionate it sounded?

“And,” P’Arthit glanced away. “And I wanted you to know. There was a reason…um, a reason why Dusit chose to target you.”

Kong stared blankly. What was P’Arthit trying to say?

P’Arthit scowled even more. “Dusit mentioned it.”

Kong’s eyes widened. “What do you mean by “no”? I know you care for that freshman boy. If you don’t listen to me, his pictures will be leaked online.”

Kong moved before he could think. He grabbed P’Arthit into a tight hug, trying to transfer everything he felt through the hug. For a second, he thought that P’Arthit was going to push him away, but P’Arthit’s arms slowly rose to hug him back.

“I’ll see you soon, Kongpob,” P’Arthit said. He let go and ran back to his friends, playfully trying to hit P’Bright who was teasing him about his exposed birthmark.

Kong watched P’Arthit go with a smile. A cold wind blew, chilling Kong’s skin.

So why did he feel so warm on the inside?


 

Please please leave me your comments about this chapter! Was there anything you liked or didn't like?

Haha, I'm not sure if I should write another short epilogue to this story or leave it as it is.

And why is Kong and Arthit so cute together?!!! XD Can't wait for the next Sotus episodes!

Thank you all for reading! Please comment! xxx