The First Chapter

What We Once Were

    Namjoo POV 

 

   It's already the last week of highschool. The grades are closed and we don't have anymore worries except what will we do with our lives. I kept pondering what will I do? Why have I felt so sad lately? Every time I think about it Sungjae comes to mind. I wonder how his life is going. We haven't talked at all this past year and I would think I would have gotten used to not hearing his voice and how he would tell me everything that happened in his day. We weren't dating so I shouldn't feel like this. 

   I should accept how he drifted, drifted and drifted away, away and away. So far I don't remember the sound of his voice. Isn't it strange? We are in the same class and yet... 

   Yet we don't talk. I still wonder why and the more I do the more it saddens me. The more the days pass...

    The more i miss him. Yook Sungjae what are you doing with your life? 

 

   It's already graduation day and I still haven't heard his voice. I can see him and hear the people he talks to. For some reason I just can't hear his voice. Our teacher came into the room with a huge smile on her face. " Class are you ready to graduate?" The whole class screamed a yes. Everyone except me. 

   The teacher said more things, but I wasn't paying attention. After she left, a little plushy ball hit my head and fell on my lap. I looked at it and then looked up at the person who through it. Much to my luck it was Sungjae. He seemed reluctant to go up to me. He walked to me SUPER slowly and stopped to the side of my desk. He avoided eye contacts " Excuse me, can I have my plushy back? " he used extremely formal language. 

  As if we were strangers. I felt my eyes sting. Tears were threatening to fall down any minute, " Sure." I mumbled, threw the ball at him and walked out. I crashed into someone on my way out. Aren't I lucky? " Namjoo are you okay?" I looked up slowly to see Eunji. I nodded, but that didn't stop my tears from falling. They fell,fell and fell like a waterfall. 

   My vision was blurry. She hugged me and I let out a sob. I could feel everyone's eyes look at me. Stinging my back. She let me go after a few seconds and walked inside the room. " Yook Sungjae, I need to speak to you." Now everyone's eyes were on Eunji. 

   Why? Why was she doing this? " We can speak right here." He stood up with his arms folded on his chest. Eunji looked at me and then quickly looked back at him. " Okay." She sounded so confident. She seemed really cool at that moment. It made me wish I was that way. The way I used to be... 

    Eunji then got closer to Sungjae. A smirk on he face. " I guess I will make you go outside then." What is she thinking? 

 

  I was looking down at my shoes and a beaten up Sungjae was standing in front of me with Eunji staring at both of us untouched. She really is stronger than I thought. " What did you want to tell me?" He said looking at Eunji the whole time. " I can't stand to see Namjoo like this anymore. I have been letting it go, but after seeing her cry, I can't hold it in. Sungjae why are you ignoring Namjoo? Why don't you talk to her anymore? What did she do?" Eunji was exploding. She kept asking and ask in more, more and more questions. 

   " I am sorry. I don't know! It just happened!" He looked mad and confused. I had to say something. I really had to, but I kept hesitating. I had never seen him so mad. Knowing I was the cause sent pain through my heart. " Do you know how much it hurt? " with that my tears fell. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 I hope you guys enjoyed the first chapter! Stay tuned for the next chapter!💙