Belongings

A Shady Start
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Belongings

             I was groggy from Kyuhyun waking me up in the middle of the night to rant about my fake boyfriend, so I wasn’t the most observant first thing in the morning and I was halfway down the walk when I noticed him leaning against his car, holding onto two coffees—an iced latte for me and something in a warm cup for him. 

             “What are you doing here?” I asked, walking over to him.

              He handed me my coffee as I reached him.  “I thought I’d give you a ride to school to make up for waking you up.”

             “You didn’t think I’d find it creepy that you knew where I lived?  I’m still trying to figure out who gave you my phone number.”

             “Sungmin, on both accounts,” he informed me, opening the passenger side door for me. 

             “Sungmin is going to hear about this later,” I mumbled to myself, getting into the car.  Kyuhyun rounded the car and got in as well, turning the ignition.  “Being a stalker isn’t going to endear you to me,” I warned him. 

             “If you’d rather walk, I’m not going to stop you.  I just assumed you’d rather drink your coffee before the ice started melting,” Kyuhyun said, buckling his seatbelt and pulling out into the street.  “By the way, I ran into your fake boyfriend at the café I stopped at.  You didn’t mention that he worked nearby.”

             “He owns the café,” I informed him. 

             “I admit that I was ready to rip his head off yesterday, but after talking with him this morning about how stubborn you are, I kind of like him,” Kyuhyun admitted. 

             I should have known that was going to happen.  Damn it.  “You have no right to want to rip people’s heads off!  We’re not dating and you shouldn’t be jealous of other people in my life.  You barely even know me.”

            “I want to get to know you but someone keeps avoiding me,” he pointed out.

            “I got into the car, didn’t I?”

             “But you’re complaining about it,” he pointed out.  “As if I’m being mean to you.  I got up early to get you coffee and drive you to school.”

             “You’re probably driving me to school so you can show all our classmates that we’re together.  But I’m going to make it clear to everyone that we’re not,” I informed him. 

            Kyuhyun just sighed and drove in silence. 

            I looked down at his cup of coffee.  “How do you like your coffee?”

            “I’m not that big on coffee, actually.  I prefer to drink orange juice in the morning, but I was dead tired, so I got a cup of plain coffee.”

            I nodded.  “Yesung added vanilla to this, which is even better.  He knows I like sugar.”

            “Your brother told me that you like cheesecake as well.  You must have a sweet tooth.”

            “I do.  I usually stick to eating fruit most of the time or I gain weight.”

            Kyuhyun looked me over.  “You don’t look like you have a problem with weight.”

            “Just trust me.”

             Kyuhyun nodded and continued to concentrate on the road. 

            “Is it all right if I invite my friends Eunhyuk and Donghae to the zoo as well…since you refuse to go with me alone anyway.  They’ve been dying to meet you since they found out I met you,” he asked.  “They’re soulmates as well and they don’t know many other couples like us.”

             I rolled my eyes.  “We’re not a couple.”

             “I didn’t mean it like that.  I just meant…we’re technically soulmates.  That isn’t the point.  I just wanted to know if they could come with.”

            “Sure.  Probably better off with more people anyway.”

            “You might change your mind after you meet them, but I’m glad you’re so optimistic about it.”

            “Is there something wrong with them?”

            “No…as long as you’re okay with sickeningly cute couples cuddling and saying mushy around you all day,” Kyuhyun complained.  “Personally, I’m not against a certain amount of PDA or using endearing language to your lover, but I do think there’s such a thing as going overboard.  Just so you know.  You accuse me of stalking you and being overbearing now…but you won’t after you meet EunHae.”

            “EunHae?”

            “That’s what everyone calls them.”

            I scrunched up my face.  I wasn’t particularly fond of couple names. 

            “I should probably warn you, some people refer to us as KyuWook.”

            “What?” I shouted.

            “Not my fault.  Changmin started it.”

            “I never even told anyone about you except my brother and Yesung!  How many people know about us?” I asked, suddenly worried that the whole school knew about us being supposed soulmates. 

            Kyuhyun shrugged.  “I don’t know.  I think Sungmin told a couple people in our class, Changin probably blabbed it to the baseball team, and my mother told my cousin Henry about it, who’s a freshman this year.”

            “Everybody knows!” I cried, throwing up my arms.

            “Ah…yeah, probably.  Is that a problem?”

            “Kyuhyun, almost no one else in school has found their soulmate so far.  They’re going to treat us like some married couple and it will be weird.”

            “Well, no one will hit on you…but they didn’t in the first place.  You’re still the new kid that everyone is leery of.  If anything, most of the girls in our class are going to hate you now, since most of them wanted me.”

            I tilted my head, considering his words for a moment.  “Wait…you’re right.  It was only girls that were after you.  Does that mean you’ve never dated a guy before?”

            Kyuhyun grabbed his coffee and took a long drink from it. 

            “Kyuhyun?”

            He set down the cup and glanced over at me.  “No.”

            “Have you ever even liked one?”

            He shook his head.  “But I did kiss one during spin the bottle and I didn’t find it as repulsive as I imagined.  Does that count?”

            “Wait a minute!  Are you telling me that you didn’t even know you were gay…or bi…or whatever you are…until you touched me on Friday?”

            Kyuhyun signaled to turn into the school parking lot and then pulled into a spot towards the back of the lot, where almost no one was parked yet.  Then he turned off the car, unbuckled, and then shifted in his seat until he was facing me.  “I’ve looked at a few guys in the past and found them attractive, but I’ve never thought of it long enough to wonder if I was more interested in men than women.  I’ve never been very attached to any of my ex-girlfriends and I never really bothered to figure out why.  I just assumed that it was because I was more focused on school and because I would never really fall for anyone until I met my soulmate.”

            What the hell?  He’d never even contemplated being with a guy?  How could this even work out?  “Are you attracted to me?”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter