Chapter 5

Destiny

Sunny was typing away on her laptop when Onew arrived at the office. Her face scrunched into one of seriousness as she looked over to the papers on the side.

 “I don’t understand why they need to extend the deadline. We’ve given them enough time,” grumbled Sunny. She picked up the papers and passed them to Onew. “Check this out and tell me what you think.” Minutes later he passed it back to Sunny and discussed what needed to be amended.

 “Finally! Done!” Sunny cheered, clearing her desk when her phone rang. “Hello? Oh hey Fany. No I’m at the office right now, had to check over some things before Monday. You?” She signalled to Onew whilst he packed his things up. “Lunch? Sounds good. I’ll see you in a few.”

Onew finished clearing up as Sunny ended her call. “OK, I’m gonna go have a bite to eat. See you Monday.”

 “Wait. Onew, do you wanna join me for lunch?” Accepting the invite, he made his way to the carpark. Sunny walked over to the passenger side of his car. He raised his eyebrow in question. “We need to save the environment. Carpool.”

***

Entering the restaurant, he surveyed the boards for the Menu of the Day. Chicken fajita special. Yep, meal decided. Following Sunny, his ears perked at the sound of chatter as he recognised a distinctive voice.

 “Soonkyu! You made it!” waved Tiffany. Next to her, was another person. As he matched the voice he heard before to the person in front of him Onew realised. Jessica.

 “Sorry we’re a bit late,” apologised Sunny as she quickly took a seat opposite Tiffany. Left with no other choice, Onew sat in front Jessica. He greeted the girls as he sat down. He gave a quick glance to Jessica and was returned with a small smile and nod.

After placing their orders, Onew was left out as the 3 girls chatted amongst themselves. Fiddling with the straw of his drink, he once again took a look at the girl opposite. He took in her view. Studying her eyes, nose, lips, her laugh. The slight eye-smile which could be missed if you weren’t close enough.  Jessica caught his eye and Onew quickly diverted his eyes to his drink.  

 “So, Onew, are you seeing anyone?” Tiffany asked as they ate.

 “No, I’m not at the moment,” Onew answered.

 “Onew here would date chicken if he could,” Sunny butted in as she stole a bit off his plate. “He’s obsessed with it as much as you are with pink Fany.”

 “And that is not a crime, Sunny. Pink is a unique colour. Even the rainbow doesn't have it.”

Onew excused himself to the washroom.

 “Well, well, how nice to see you all here,” came a voice as it approached their table.

 “Lee Donghae,” hissed Tiffany. “What are you doing here?”

 Chuckling, Donghae replied, “This is a public place. I’m allowed to be here.”

 “Well since you’ve made your presence known, you can leave,” said Sunny firmly as she gave a dirty look towards Donghae.

 “That’s no way to talk to your sunbae. I thought it’d be nice to check up on my juniors.”

 The tension grew and had no means of backing down. At this time, Onew returned to the table, sensing the uncomfortable atmosphere. And the stranger that stood nearby.  Clearing his throat, he stuck his hand out and greeted. “Hi, I’m Onew. Is there anything I can do for you?”

 Donghae took his hand out of his pocket and shook Onew’s. “Lee Donghae, and no I was just about to leave. See you around ladies.” With a final grin, he left.

 “I cannot believe he had the nerve to show up here like that,” huffed Tiffany, fanning herself to cool down. She gulped down a glass of water and placed it on the table with a thud. “Let’s get the bill. I’m in no mood for sweets anymore.”

 The desserts arrived and Sunny asked for it to be boxed and taken away. “Oh and can we have the bill too please. Thanks.”

 “Bill’s been taken care of ma’am. Sir paid for it just now. I’ll be back with your desserts soon.”

 “Onew you paid for us? You didn’t have to y’know. I invited you,” said Sunny, touched that her cousin was so thoughtful.

 “Nah, it’s fine. I mean when else can I have lunch with 3 beautiful women,” he replied cheekily, earning him a slap on the arm from Sunny. He noticed Jessica was quieter than usual. Her face was how would he describe it, frozen? He could feel a sense of hostility and coldness exuding from her. Ice Princess indeed. The server returned and the four of them made their way out.

 The awkward atmosphere had gone down, but Onew kept quiet, not wanting to spark anything that he might regret afterwards. They reached the parking lot when Sunny spoke up. “Sica, dyou mind if Onew gives you a lift home? It’s just I have to collect something from Fany’s place.”

 She got a nudge from the side from Tiffany who looked completely clueless asking, “what did you for- ahhhh ahhh yes that thing. That item. Thingy. At my house,” said Tiffany as she realised what Sunny was hinting at.

 “Yeah so Onew, you can drop her off right? She’s on the way to yours anyway.” Onew shrugged and lead Jessica to his car.

***

Since they left, not a word had been exchanged. Onew concentrated on his driving and Jessica just stared out the window. He asked if she wanted to listen to the radio, she shrugged. He felt the urge to ask how she was, but wasn’t so sure if it was alright. He went ahead anyway. “Jessica are you OK?”

 It was the first time she looked at him properly since she got into the car. Her expression remained the same as it was back at the restaurant. Without a word, she just nodded. Feeling partially satisfied, because she had acknowledged his question, Onew drove off into a different direction.

 “We’re here,” unbuckling his seatbelt, Onew got out of the car. Jessica finally realising they had arrived to an unknown location, looked puzzled. Stepping out she took in the view around her. A row of shops were in front, coffee shop at the corner. And to her left was a magnificent view overlooking the Han River. She trailed after Onew .

“I’ll get 1 Americano and 1 caramel macchiato. And can I have a slice of that cheesecake please, to go? Yep, that’ll be all.” Items in hand, he walked out, Jessica followed him without a word.

 Arriving at a small bench, Onew gestured Jessica to take a seat. He passed her the caramel macchiato and took a sip from his Americano. Ten minutes and finally Onew broke the silence. “Was he your ex?”

 Startled, Jessica stopped drinking. “Y-yes.”

 “He hurt you didn’t he.” It wasn’t a question but a statement. Jessica just looked down at her cup. “How long?”

Minutes passed, as she fumbled with the coffee cover. “3 years.” Silence.

 “Can I ask why?” She stopped moving her fingers as the question sunk in. I can’t even mention his name let alone share the history we had.

 “We just ended it. Not on amicable terms though,” she said. “It’s… a long story.”

Getting the hint Onew decided to stop pestering. He figured it was a big step that she had shared such personal details. It might’ve been half an hour or an hour that passed.

 “We met at uni. Choir club to be exact. He was 2 years above me. I had no interest in him though. But after months of continuous courting, and the girls finally convincing me, I went on a date with him. We were together ever since.” She peeked at Onew. He was still looking ahead. “And then one day, things didn’t feel right. And we broke up.” Once again, silence filled the air. Neither of them moved. They just sat. Quietly.

 “It must be hard masking all that pain,” said Onew.  

 “Did you… experience the same thing… or something similar?” she carefully asked.

He leaned back and relaxed into the bench. “I guess it’s only fair I share my story too right?”

“No, no I didn’t mean it like that! Please if you don’t want to, don’t feel like you must.” Afraid that she might make things worse, she shut up.

 “I knew her since middle school. We were in the same classes and everything. I was in love with her all the way. Just when I was about to ask her out, she told me she was leaving to study abroad. She clearly knew how I felt since she said she didn’t believe in long distance.” He gave a small laugh. “I guess it was for the better. Would’ve been a difficult relationship with only 2 meet-ups.”

 “But you still love her.”

He turned and saw that she was looking at him. Those brown eyes weren’t filled with the cold expression she had previously but now showed warmth and... understanding. He didn’t have to say anything, she knew he did.

 “We should leave. It’s getting late.”

 The drive home was no different to before. Soon they reached her house and he helped unload her things from the back. Saying goodbye she thanked him and walked in. Just as he was about to drive off, there was a tap on the window. He rolled the window down and she stuck her head in.

 “I had a really good time tonight. I just wanted you to know that.” She smiled at him nervously, although she didn’t know why. She waved at him and gestured for him to leave.

 “The pleasure was all mine,” he replied. Stepping on the accelerator, he peered into his rear view mirror and saw her shrinking figure as he drove off. 

***

So finally, some actual OnSicaness!  And a brief intro on their past loves. I've actually got the next 2 chapters done, but it still needs some editing so I might just post them up tomorrow! Love :)