Chapter 34

Destiny

 

 “I saw Doojoon the other day at football practice, he didn’t look too bad,” informed Onew.

 “Krystal hasn’t said anything except to tell me that they’re on a break.” Jessica sighed over the phone. “If it was anything major, she would definitely share it with me. Doojoon didn’t say anything either.”

 “Doojoon?”

 “Yeah, he called me two or was it three days ago? He wanted to check up on me but it seemed more like I was checking up on him,” said Jessica. “Poor guy sounded like he had a cotton ball up his nose.”

 “I wasn’t aware you and Doojoon were in touch.”

 “Oh yeah, he’s called me a couple of times since I’ve been here but that was the first phone call after this so called break of his and Krystal’s.”

Onew kept the conversation at a slight pause. He suddenly wondered about the relationship between Jessica and Doojoon. He’d always known they were close but how that came about he didn’t know. Suddenly remembering Doojoon’s words at Tiffany’s wedding, it made him all the more curious.

 “Onew? Are you still there?” He blinked and came back to the voice that called to him. At the same time his intercom beeped. “I think there’s someone at your door.” He got up and saw Yeeun, looking slightly shabby on the screen.

 “Jessi, you’re right. I should get that. I’ll call you later?”

 “Alright. Remember to bundle up warm if you’re going out OK.”

He opened up the door and Yeeun stumbled in, reeking of alcohol. He reached out to stabilise her and brought her to the living room. She was mumbling incoherently, giggling here and there. “Yeeun, Yeeun!” He snapped his fingers in front of her. “Hey, how much did you drink? Hey, hey!”

***

 “Boyfriend surviving OK?” asked Kevin teasingly. Jessica threw a pillow at him which he caught and threw back. Settling himself on beanbag, he switched the TV on.

 “He’s doing fine, thank you for being concerned. We were just talking about Krystal and Doojoon.”

 “How is she?”

 “I don’t know. I haven’t had time to talk to her properly. She hasn’t said much and time difference isn’t really helping.” She got up to get a cup of coffee, returning to sit next to Kevin. “And Doojoon seems to be coping fine.” Kevin snorted. “What?”

 “Nothing, it’s funny how you know more about Doojoon’s feelings rather than your own sister.”

 “I do not.”

 “Yes, you do, Jessica. Now that I think about it, you’ve talked to him just as much as you have with Krystal.” He faced her with a smirk. “What is it with you and him anyway?”

 “He’s my sister’s boyfriend, well, ex-boyfriend or semi-ex-boyfriend, whatever. We’re friends,” she said resolutely. Her cousin shook his head and turned back to the TV.

 “Friends that are extremely close.”

 “Yes, which you would know about, if you bothered to make some.”

 “I have girls that are friends, although sometimes they end up in bed, but that’s beside the point. Point is, if I didn’t know you very well, I would think you and Doojoon had a little bit more than a normal friendship.”

Jessica rolled her eyes at his comment. “I’m sorry, in the normal world, guys and girls can be best friends.”

 “Yeah, I guess.” She nudged him harshly in the ribs. “Ouch, aggressive much!”

 “You deserve it for coming up with some ridiculous anecdote with me and my sister’s boyfriend.”

 “Semi-ex-boyfriend.”

She snatched the remote away from him and changed channels. “Now shut up and watch Blair Waldorf.”

***

 “Jinki?” She looked up and smiled. “It is you. Hello, Jinki. Lee. Jin. Ki. You’re still here.” She chuckled as she fell back on to the couch. “You’ve always been there for me. Always.”

Onew stood up. “Yeeun, don’t move. I’m going to get you some water.” She nodded.

 “Thank you, Jinki.” She let her hand pat his face as she drank. “I always knew I could rely on you. You’re my knight in shining armour.”

 “You’re drunk and you need to rest. I’ll get my guest room ready.” As he was about to leave, Yeeun’s arm stopped him.

 “Come here and sit next to me,” she slurred, patting the space next to her, “like old times.” He hesitated before he obeyed and sat himself down. “You know, after I left, I regretted it. I wished I had stayed.” She moved her hand on to his arm. “I wished I had stayed with you. I shouldn’t have left. I’m sorry, so sorry.”

 Onew remained still, unsure whether the one speaking was the intoxicated Yeeun or the real Yeeun. “Uhh, Yeeun, I think-“

 “You don’t hate me for leaving and never being in contact right? I have my reasons, I really do, Onew,” she said quietly, her eyes focused on her hands. “I was so happy that you’d still talk to me after all these years. Honestly, I was surprised that you did.” He hadn’t moved at all, he just wanted to listen. She continued speaking. “But right now, I need someone; I need you, Jinki, more than anything.” Yeeun took off the ring, the same ring Sunny had mentioned previously.

“I’m getting divorced.”

***

Krystal stared at the mass of people at the birthday party; she had lost count of how many had entered and how many had left. Suzy soon joined her.

 “Did you see Taemin? I’ve been looking for him everywhere.” Krystal shook her head in reply. “Soojung, if you’re not up to this, you can leave. It’s not like you’re going to miss out on much.” Suzy gestured at the crowd. “I hear there’s going to be a change of DJ’s and more food and drinks, possible hottie alert but we’re not looking for that.”

Krystal smiled gently. “No, I think I’d rather people watch than be at home, sat in front of the TV. Alone.”

 “It’s been almost a month, Krys, don’t you think it’s time you at least be civil with him?” asked Suzy.

 “Doojoon?”

 “And Minho.” Krystal folded her arms and glanced at Suzy. “Speak of the devil, look who just arrived.” The girls’ eyes followed the young man who was still in the midst of greeting person to person. “Sooner or later, you’re going to have to talk to one of them. You can’t keep them hanging.”

 “Gosh, Suzy, you make me sound like some womaniser or in this case a man-iser,” grunted Krystal. “I just don’t know what to say, to either of them. I see Minho, I think Doojoon. I see Doojoon, I think Minho. It’s like my brain refuses to filter one of them through.”

 “Well, you better filter fast.” Suzy nodded towards the figure that was heading at them. Minho kept his eyes on Krystal. “I’ll go look for Taemin. Hi, Minho.”

 “Hey, Suzy,” replied Minho. “Good evening, Krystal.”

 “Evening to you too, good not so much.” She got off her seat and headed towards the house, in search of the bathroom. Minho trailed after her.

 “We’re still doing the avoiding thing, I see,” he said causing Krystal to stop in her tracks. She turned around furious but found herself bumping into chest. “Careful there.”

 “OK, I know I haven’t been very… cooperative these past few weeks, but if you want to hear it now, I’ll tell you.” She stared at him squarely in the eye, shifting on both her feet. “I don’t know what I feel. I simply… do not know. And if that answer doesn’t satisfy you, then I’m sorry.” She took a step back when he moved forward. “Uhh, personal space, maybe.”

 “Would there be something that might make you change your answer?”

 “Like what?” He was a lot closer now; close enough for her to feel his breath.

 “This.” Minho leaned in and pressed his lips against hers, his hands pulling her body closer to his, her lips instinctively moving with his. Her hands reached up to his neck and she got lost in the moment, escaping the current world she was in.

 “Krystal?”

***

 “Oppa, have you seen Krystal or Minho anywhere? Like anywhere?!” asked Suzy frantically, her eyes circling around the party.

 “No, why?”

 “Doojoon just arrived.” Taemin froze and opened his eyes wide. “He’s looking for Soojung and she’s somewhere at this party. The last I saw her she was with Minho. Taemin, I can sense something bad about to happen.”

 “Yo, there’s a fight going on! It’s getting intense!” Suzy and Taemin looked at each other before following the crowd. They found themselves watching Doojoon and Minho in a scuffle, Krystal standing on the side, petrified. Taemin ran forward, pulling Doojoon away as another guy did the same with Minho.

 “Alright, fight’s over. Hope you enjoyed the show, now you can go back and enjoy the party,” yelled Taemin over the noise. Doojoon struggled in his restraint, the fight still left over in him. “Hyung! Calm down!”

When the crowd had dispersed and left, only five persons remained. Suzy was beside Krystal, an arm around her waist. Minho was on one side, nursing the bleeding lip and Doojoon winced at the swelling bruise he had, whilst Taemin just stood keeping an eye out for another outbreak.

 “THIS? This is what we were on a break for?” bellowed Doojoon, his finger pointed at Minho. “You lied to me and you ignore me, for this?”

 “Doojoon, honestly. I-“ Krystal stuttered, too fraught to explain the situation. “It’s not what you think-“

 “It’s not what I think? Then what the were you doing, kissing him, huh Krystal? How do you explain what I saw?” Doojoon breathed heavily, his anger boiling. “Tell me why you were kissing him! Tell me!”

 “It just happened OK! It wasn't meant to!” she yelled back, tears flowing down freely. She walked towards him only to have him step away. Krystal stopped when she saw him getting further from her. “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean it to-“

Doojoon shook his head. “No. I’m done.” He glared at her straight in the eye. “You want a break? Fine, you get one.” She was scared now, her lips trembling, as her body threatened to cry out. “We’re through.

***

Over 4000 views! I won't lie, I'm doing a happy dance in my head right now lol. I didn't think I'd get this many views but wow, thank you for bothering to read this story. Apologies for the late update, but I hope this chapter makes up for it! Also, I've started another story "On The Ride" and I hope you guys take the time to check it out. Please do comment and subscribe to this as well as my new story :)