Chapter 1 - The Essay

Lean on Me (Naruto Fanfiction)

I APOLOGIZE IN ADVANCE FOR CALLING SAKURA USELESS. (She's not but I'm making her useless in this story)

        Boring lectures about the school/classroom rules and what the teachers expected from us were given in every single class besides P.E. Gai-sensei just spoke to us about how we all are youthful and strong-willed our class is, therefore we should push ourselves to the limit. That announcement stopped when a boy with tall blond hair on the other side of the gym scoffed at Gai's words, he honestly didn't take it seriously so Gai-sensei forced him to do 500 push-ups by the end of class. Phew! Thankfully for Shika and I, we didn't have to do it.

        Once out of that antagonizing place, the two of us slowly trotted to our next class which so happened to be the last one of the day. Score one for us! Did I forget that to state that Shika and I had almost every class together because of us being top in our grade? Yeah, same classes, same schedule. Well, except for our electives. Our next class was English with Mr. Hatake, or more formally known as my father. I just hope that he doesn't use one of those nicknames he calls me everywhere else... He'll ruin my reputation as a student. 

        I crossed my fingers as soon as I walked into his classroom with high hopes that he won't notice me right away. Along with those high hopes, I just wanted him to be late like he always is with everything else.

        "Oh! Rin! I have to speak with you!" An all too familiar voice contorted with excitement; which might I add, was very rare for my dad to get excited over something. Unless it was his stupid erted books. "You too Shikamaru!" Since a majority of the students were in class already, most of them noticed his strange request and decided to glance back to where both Shika and I stood. Once their eyes caught a glimpse of my silver hair and black eyes, they all knew immediately that I was Kakashi Hatake's daughter. His blood, his prodigy; all having high expectations of me.

        "Yes, Kakashi-sensei?" I asked while making my way to the front of the classroom where his desk resided. I could feel my heart beating like a drum! I'm so thankful that he didn't call me a nickname or anything! "If you don't mind, I'd rather call you Mr. Hatake, it feels weird calling you by your first name."

        "I'll tell you where you're sitting," He nodded then paused to look at a desk chart in front of his desk. Pfft, of all teachers we had today, he had to be the only one with a seating chart! Once he found my name he looked up at me, "You'll be sitting next to Sasuke Uchiha." Dad pointed towards the boy from the entrance ceremony, the one who nearly all the girls mooned over. I made slight eye contact with the boy and once I did I averted my gaze instantly to match the gaze with my evil father. I could see the evil, stupid grin under his mask. I swear, Kakashi Hatake is the Devil

        "Why am I sitting next to him? I mean, it's not like I have anything against him.. besides that he's literally a show off." I leaned closer to my dad whispering into his ear to make sure not a single soul knew of my hostility towards the raven-haired boy.

        "I'll tell you why once we go out to get dinner, Rin." If the Devil had a daughter, of course it would be me, because then he would make my life a living hell. "And you Shikamaru..." He looked back down at the sheet once I got away from him, "Are sitting next to Sabaku no Temari!" The silver haired teacher pointed towards a blond with hair similar to Shikamaru's own. Pointed and sticking up, but she had four pony tails instead of one like Shika's.  I clasp him on the back and gave Shika a reassuring face that everything will be fine after I talk my dad out of it. That was until we both went our separate ways. Thanks dad!

        As I walked down between the row of desks, I took one more glance at the Uchiha. To find out that he was, in fact, doing the same. Once our eyes caught each other's, he immediately averted them like I did the first time, avoiding my eye contact. We both know that I saw him looking at me, so why did he look away this time? 

        Slowly but surely I made it to my seat that was almost in the back of the classroom which already to my surprise, was pulled out to the back right corner of the room. Mr. Hatake must have "coincidentally" used my to use it as a leverage or to hold something. I jogged to the chair to notice that it had a stack of papers that stated, "Beginning of the school year summative essay" written in bold letters on top of the page. 

        Grabbing a piece of paper, I began to read the direction that were slightly under the title of the paper. "The person you sit next to is your partner for this essay." I shot my gaze in the direction of the Uchiha to see his head wrapped in his arms that were on the desk. I guess he hates it as much as I do.

        Essay? Partners? With Uchiha? Oh hell no. Not in a million years, not ever. My eyes found their way back to the front of the classroom where Mr. Hatake sat, reading the paper on his desk, and their stood a boy with red hair next to him. I could easily see his stupid smug expression plastered on his face. The boy with the red hair had a kanji on his forehead that meant love. Honestly, if looks could kill, I'd be long dead by now because that very boy had an emotionless look on his face. It was similar to the Uchiha's, but this boy was ten times better than him. Better looking if I may add.

        "Oh! Rin! If you don't mind, can you pass those papers out? Thanks!" Dad looked back to the red-haired boy and told him to sit by my old best friend, who is now my enemy. Sakura Haruno. I feel bad for the boy, Sakura was useless. She'll probably make him do all the work for her, that poor unfortunate soul. I should be saying that to myself, Uchiha might do the same. Or worse, I'll get obliterated by his fan-girls!

        I quickly passed out all the papers to each desk, along the way I could hear the groaning of Shikamaru. It made me chuckle because I know that he hates this sort of stuff, so he's probably going to make me do it since I love writing. Once all the papers were passed out, I sprinted to my seat. The bell rang a second after my but his the chair. Shortly after that annoying ringing, the sound of someone clearing their voice echoed through the classroom. Mr. Hatake sat on his desk with a clipboard resting in his lap. 

        "Hello everyone, I'm Kakashi Hatake, as if you didn't know already. I'll just cut to the chase. My rules in here are strict. No talking at all in this class until my lecture is over, unless I call on you. No food or drink and most importantly no phones. I will confiscate your phone and happily throw out your garbage. Finally, if you fall asleep in my class, you will get suspended for not paying attention and for lack of effort. You hear me?" He yelled the last bit, scaring the entire class into nodding their head furiously. He was only putting this tough guy act to make sure no one disrespects him as a teacher. Mr. Hatake wasn't the one to leave a student behind, or he'll thinks he's a terrible teacher. 

        I could already tell that I was going to hate this school year. Not because of his rules, because of his next sentence.

        "And now for roll-call!" 

        Nope. I hate it even more now, because I just know that he's going to embarrass me. He'll probably call me my baby girl, or honey bun, or even sugar plumps. Oh how he loves to torture me so. Especially in front of large amounts of people.

        "Subaku no Gaara?"

        "Here."

        "Subaku no Temari?"

        "Here."

        So there are siblings in here now? 

        "Karin Uzumaki?"

        "Here!"

        "Shikamaru Nara?"


        "Present." The boy said lazily as ever.

        He continued reading the list until the boy's name was soon called out.

        "Sasuke Uchiha?"

        "Hn." What? Not a here or even a present? Just a stupid sound? No wonder why I don't like him.

        All hell broke lose after his name was called. A girl with red hair and glasses began fangirling. "Sasuke! I didn't know you were in this class!" I noticed the Uchiha's face turn red slightly, from what I assume? Hmm, does he have a crush on this girl? 

        "Karin. Go to principal Tsunade's office." Mr. Hatake announced, not taking his eyes of the list of names. This shut Karin right up and her face filled with surprise. I mean, what do you expect? He said not to talk unless spoken to. She didn't testify either because I bet she knew if she did, her suspension would be longer. But once the redhead left, Mr. Hatake continue reading off other students names until he finally got to mine...


        "Rin Hatake?" Dad smiled once he asked if I were here but we both knew I was. I couldn't help but feel relief wash over me when he didn't use a nickname, but it soon faded once everyone shot their eyes towards me. I was after all, the teacher's daughter.

        Mr. Hatake cleared his throat once again, "Now that I've taken attendance, I will explain the paper on your desks. I do realize that it's quite early for an essay already, especially a summative one, but I'm making you write it so both you and the entire class know each other a little better. No, you eon't be presenting this essay, but I will be." He paused for a moment. "I won't be reading your entire essay either. Just your likes, dislikes, and a little about your background." He picked up the paper on someone's desk in front of him, " You now know what the essay will be about, but I'd like you and your partner to discuss it, then help each other write an essay. I expect you to write two essays; yours and your partners. "Blah, blah, blah. Just read the directions and you'll be fine. Now go ahead and talk with your partner about the things you like, dislike and some of your background." He waved his hand to signal we can do whatever and picked up his erted book in the process.

        I glanced at Sasuke to see him writing down some things on a piece of paper. 

        "What's your address? I expect you to be free between 5-8 pm on the weekdays. Weekends apply to; they are from 11 am- 4 pm. If I don't come, it's because there is a logical reason behind it. So, between those times, you better not plan anything. Also," He began writing more things down, "Here are my likes, dislikes, and a little bit of my background. I don't care if it's not enough, make something up then. I don't care. You're writing the paper, I'm just sparing the details." He finished, ripping a piece off a part of the paper, then handing me the piece of paper that had a certain amount of detail on it. 

        The times listed, some days he can't come, and the things he likes, dislikes, and a small amount of background on him. Likes; Mixed Martial Arts, and sports. Dislikes; people, talking, and his fangirls. Background; Make up something good that won't make me seem like an /stupid. 

        Are you kidding me? He expects me to do all this work without any of his help? I'm not writing his paper, I'm definitely not making up some good story about his background. Pfft, who does he think I am? His personal slave?

        "If you tell your father about me making you do all the work, then you'll regret everything. I'll do things to you that will make you wish you were never born." His cold words stung like salt thrown against a fresh wound. 

        Great! I just had to be partnered up with the Uchiha. Why couldn't I be partnered up with Shikamaru or the kid with red hair? They would have been so much better. Damn you, dad!