her reasons

Startling by Each Step
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

                                                                       

                                                                                    

 

  Now, it’s Hwa’s turn to ask him questions, she set down her glass and politely asked, “So my Lord, who are you exactly?”
  “Will you believe me if I tell you who I am?” he grinned and took a gulp of his wine.
  “Tell me,” Hwa said so low he couldn’t even hear it.
  He stared at her, obviously not sober, saying, “Well,” now taking another shot, “I am Jungkook, Prince Jungkook.”
  Well, she certainly didn’t believe it. Who would go around telling strangers that he is the royal prince? But, this prince, Jungkook, is the second son of the current His Majesty The King. He was famous in Joseon for his endearing looks and his kind act towards the people. But Hwa has never seen her, but if he is really the prince, she’d be dead. She’d be dead for pleasing the prince but not the ministers, but who cares?

  “See? You also wouldn’t believe me.” He frowned and kept his head low, drunken. Hwa didn’t even sip the wine; she just pretended to enjoy it. It’s too dangerous.
  She had to choose either believing him, or vice versa. Who knows, if she ended up believing him, she could collect some important information? She was in need, desperate to destroy the whole Lee clan. So she did. “No, your Highness. I truly believe in you. You are so kind, my Lord.” Hwa said as she poured another drink for him.
  “Good.” He chuckled and turned his head to the right and then to his left. His cheeks are flushed red, and then he brought his index finger close to his lips. “I have something to tell you,” he said, “only if you can shut that pretty lips of yours.”

  Hwa showed no interest because if she showed any, it would look obvious that she was rooting for him. She was getting suspicious, did the prince tell it because he was drunk and not sober, or did he try to tempt her? Because no prince would tell secrets without a price.
  “It depends,” Hwa grinned. “Would you really trust a gisaeng, Your Highness?”
  Jungkook laughed mockingly, and then leaned closer to her, “You are interesting, though.” Then he took off his hat (gat 갓) and said, “Anyway, I don’t really mind, since we’ve started here, shall we end it here too? Well, the king is not really well. He had trouble sleeping, and he seemed like—“

  “Like?”
  “Like something from the past haunted him. But unfortunately, he is not going to die soon. The physicians said he’ll still grow old, as if he’s not old enough.” Jungkook chuckled. What makes him despise his father so much?
  But Hwa knew what haunted the King.
  Hwa took a light sip, “But he’s here, celebrating.” She tilted her head to direction of the King. Jungkook was definitely there to accompany his father, the king, but Jungkook was in the room, bad-mouthing him.
  “That’s his way to stop getting those nightmares.” He stared at his drink while his fingers traced the outlines. “Em, are you a new gisaeng?”
  “Yes, Your Highness.”
  “No wonder your face look incredibly new, and—“ he leaned even closer, his right hand touched her chin as he examined her face. Hwa was shocked but she keep all inside and maintain a cold face. “—Pretty.”
  He let go and all Hwa could say was, “You are very kind, Your Highness. I really appreciate it but this face is nowhere as pretty as yours, Your Highness.”
  Even in his not sober condition, with his head swinging back and forth, he kept on talking. “Sure, but I’m surprised that someone so new like you could become one of the top gisaengs. That’s pretty impressive.”
  Someone noticed. Hwa was speechless and ran out of words to say. Instead of looking for words, she pretended like she never heard it

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter