her story

Startling by Each Step
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 Her steps were silent, even quieter than the night, no one can hear the creaks between the floor as she walked to the end of the hallway, the last room on that floor. It’s the only room with the lights on, someone she had been waiting was there.

  She lowered her dress and slowly slide the wooden door open, revealing the person who can help her to claim her title. He looked old enough to be her father, the lines on his face were shown, and there were dark circles under his eyes. He looked up, and smiled while his left hand still held the brush. All he said was, “Finally you are here, Your Highness.”

  “Don’t call me that, you’re the one who have been raising me, father.” She said as she closed the door behind her.
  “I am not your real father, Hwa.” He continued with his work.
  “My real father is dead, and you’re the only one who can help me,” she nibbled on her skirt as she hugged her knees closer to her body. “So, please, help me.”
  “What do you want me to do?”
  “Sneak me into the palace.”
  “That won’t be easy, love.”

  She knew this man too well, her late father’s best friend. He was the one who took her away before the coup ruined the whole Jang clan. Every single person in the Jang family was executed. The Lees didn’t leave any single one and they thought they’ve killed all of them.

  Jokes on them, they were wrong, they missed the late King’s only daughter, but they killed the Crown Prince. The Lees burned down the old palace, and they rebuilt it on the ashes of the Jangs. While the blood still hadn’t dried, they stepped on it and built another beautiful palace.

  Hwa hesitated, she sighed and said, “Make me a gisaeng,” she stared into nothing and continued, “send me to those gisaeng houses where the nobles mostly go.”
  “Please,” he pleaded, “Please think wisely, is this what you really wanted?”
  “Yes.”

  He stood up, walking around in his studies, he can never let her go, she was too fragile. And, he loved her too much, like it’s his own daughter. He will never let her go to those cheap houses and ruin herself, even if it’s for her late father’s sake.

  “No one will know, father.” She paused. “Trust me.”
  “But there are still those court maids who’ve seen you, my love.” He said.
  “Just send me there and I’ll do the rest.” She lifted her skirt and slowly stood up.

  He knew he can never let this girl do her stuff alone, she’s just--- too dangerous. He had no other choices, “Okay, tell me your plans.” And she smiled and he said, “Hurry, before the sun breaks through the night.”

                                                                             

  Hwa was only six years old when the coup happened, and as if both of her parents knew, so they sent her away along with her brother.

  She was dragged by a lady, and was told to run fast. She screamed in pain and her legs almost gave up, but the woman never did. The lady didn’t hear her cries, she was too focused with the surroundings. But Hwa had seen her tears under the bright flame.

  “Please!” Hwa yelled, “Stop for a moment, please! My legs hurt so much.” There are screams from every corner, the flames were swallowing down the main palace.

   Her parents’ chambers.

  The palace was in chaos, there were assassins jumping on one roof to another, the were blood spilling everywhere. Her eyes gazed nowhere but the chambers. The brown eyes that reflected the huge flames can’t express nothing but shed tears.

  “Mother! Father!” she screamed and ran to the chambers only to be dragged again by the lady. Her tears were running down. Her parents were in there. They---were in the chambers! The grip was tighter and it bruised her arm.

  Hwa struggled but then the lady cupped her face, “YOU NEED TO SURVIVE. YOU MUST SURVIVE.”
  “Mother… Father…” Hwa only cried, she was too young to suffer this.
  “SEE?” the lady pointed at the dead corpses on the ground. “SURVIVE. LIVE. AND KILL. KILL WHOEVER DID THIS.”

  Just o

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter