When Baby Kook Fell in Love

Jin's Boys.

Seokjin and Namjoon realised that they're sons would grow up soon--and them growing up would add considerably to their list of responsibilities. They'd have to see their kids through high school, help them out with college and maybe along the way, they would find someone they loved just like they'd found each other. But these things would happen once their kids grew up and the couple was counting on the fact that they had more than enough time to prepare for the day when Yoongi would bring a girl home or Hoseok would have his first crush.

 

But they did not expect it be so soon and definitely not for it to be their youngest son.

 

Kindergarten. It happened on Jungkook's first day of school.

 

As soon as Jungkook had walked in through the gates, his permanently wide eyes widened even more as the boy took in his surroundings. The three year old was fascinated with everything he saw, head whipping around so fast that Seokjin was afraid of whiplash, and the boy slowly started tugging his hand away from Seokjin, the action making the latter's chest ache because his baby boy was growing up too. Jungkook had grown up surrounded by loving parents and Hyungs and even grandparents (Namjoon's mom adored him) but the boy had little to no experience with strangers, which made him slightly nervous around them. Jungkook would shy away from new people.

 

Seokjin wanted to meet the teacher that would be taking care of his son for the whole year, so that he knew his boy was in good hands and maybe, maybe that would set his heart at ease. Said boy was now looking at things and then smiling up at Jin with such wonder in his eyes that Jin was mentally cooing at the cuteness. He particularly loved the walls of the classrooms, which had all been painted with animated people and animals and Jungkook would peek in through each of the windows that they would pass before they got to his classroom.

 

"Hello. My name is Yoon Min Ji. Nice to meet you." The teacher greeted as soon as Seokjin entered the classroom he had been told of. She was a pretty looking young woman with short dark hair and a smile that could be considered charming and attractive, even to Jin, who by now was well aware of the fact that he wasn't interested in women at all. 

 

"Oh hello. I'm Kim Seok Jin, Jungkook's dad. One of them, I mean, he has two."

 

The teacher's smile faltered but she quickly regained her composure, "Oh okay. Hey Jungkookie!" 

 

Seokjin smiled to himself, because this was a test to see if the teacher would be okay with Jungkook having two fathers and would still treat the boy the same and she had definitely passed with how she was on her knees, smiling encouragingly at Jungkook to say hi. 

 

That was when Jin realised that Jungkook had been still throughout the whole meeting and even if Jungkook was silent a lot of times, thinking more than talking, he was almost never still. Jin looked at the boy, and there it was, Jungkook was in love. The boy's round eyes positively resembled Namjoon's favourite heart-eye emojis and the boy was blushing and smiling nervously at his teacher. "Hello" he mumbled. But when his teacher's expression changed to a wider grin, Jungkook smiled bigger too. Without hesitation, Jungkook's grip on Jin's hand loosened and he walked towards Min Ji as if in a trance; if Jin wasn't busy being overwhelmed by emotions of his baby walking away and growing up so soon, he would've snorted at the scene so hard that his nostrils would've hurt forever.

 

The teacher ruffled his hair--an action Jungkook absolutely hated from strangers, and cooed about how obedient he was and Jungkook lowered his head bashfully, only to look up and poke his teacher's cheek "pretty."

 

The girl was taken aback, blushing profusely on being called pretty by a toddler but thanked Jungkook quickly and then stood up to face Seokjin again, "You have a wonderful boy Mr. Kim. Don't worry, I will take good care of him." She bowed and smiled sincerely but all Seokjin could really look at was the fact that Jungkook was still looking at Min Ji with adoration in his eyes and a small, dreamy smile that Jin only thought toddlers could have if they had been promised ice cream.

 

He shakily returned her gesture and made to leave. The only response he got from his son was a hasty wave before he got back to staring at Min Ji.

 

--------

 

"Namjoon-ah. I lost my son to a woman."

 

His husband got startled and sat up from where he'd been lazily lying on the couch, "What, you lost Jungkook? On the first day? I shouldve come with you, my job, everything, where is he? Which woman? Did someone steal him? Or did he run off?"

 

"No Namjoon-ah, you don't get it. And shh dont curse so much."Jin settled down the couch beside Namjoon before letting out a deep sigh and muttering, "Jungkook fell in love."

 

His husband's panicked eyes settled on something confused.

 

"Hyung, our son is three. Are we talking about the same Jungkook?"

 

"Yes Namjoon. Our son. Our three year old Jungkookie. In love. With a woman more than double his age-I can't believe this."

 

"Hyung stop with the drama, what happened?"

 

"His teacher!" Seokjin whined and laid his head on his husband's shoulder, "He likes his teacher!"

 

Namjoon finally relaxed and muttered a tiny 'had me worried' before speaking up, "Isn't that a good thing? That he likes his teacher? Considering how Jungkook is a socially anxious toddler, I'm just glad he didn't throw a fit."

 

Seokjin let out a pained whine at the word 'glad' and shut his husband's mouth with a look, "No Joonie. No. My boy didn't even say goodbye properly, he was looking at her with heart eyes. Yes I used that term you love. Heart eyes Joonie and he called her pretty. I didn't know Jungkook knew that word! I would never have taught him how to speak if this was going to happen!"

 

His husband, look at the nerve of him, laughed, "Melodramatic much?"

 

And Jin sent him the infamous death glare causing him to raise up his hands in surrender.

 

"Seriously though Hyung, did Kookie really call her pretty?"

 

And Jin retold the whole story but this time it ended with both of them laughing. Five kids and they were still surprised at the things they would do.

 

------

 

Namjoon thought Seokjin was exaggerating about Jungkook's condition because of his mama-hen genes but he definitely did not expect it to be so true.

 

The day he was supposed to collect Jungkook from kindergarten, Jin kept muterring 'you'll see. That woman has my son in a trap.' He left with a kiss to Jin's cheek, deciding to not dwell on the fact if Jin was joking or not. But when he got to Jungkook's classroom, the scene that was unfolding before him made him stop and turn back to watch through the window.

 

Jungkook walked up to his teacher in that clumsy way only three year olds can and pulled on her sweater sleeve to get her attention from where she was crouching and talking to another kid. When she finally looked at him, Jungkook gave her the piece of paper he'd been clutching--which looked like a drawing, and then got on his tippy-toes to kiss her cheek. The woman was blushing again and thanked the boy after which she went back to her desk to keep the piece of paper somewhere. She looked so flustered that Namjoon was feeling bad for her. His son was a flirt. And he was only three.

 

Later in the car, Namjoon decided to ask Jungkook about his day and about his teacher.

 

"Appa?"

 

"Hmm?"

 

"Can I marry teacher Min Ji?"

 

Namjoon choked on thin air and had to stop the car so he could breathe properly again.

 

('Namjoon-ah! Who taught him that word?!" Came Jin's whiny voice for the hundredth time that day)

 

-------

 

On the final day of Kindergarten, it was a normal thing for there to be a group picture, complete with all the kids and the teacher in the center. By now, both Namjoon and Seokjin had resigned to the fact that Jungkook loved his teacher but they were still shocked when the woman handed him two pictures in stead of one because "Jungkookie refused to get off my lap and that would be unfair to the other kids so they had to take two pictures."

 

Seokjin was shocked but he still thanked the woman for her pains and for taking care of Jungkook so well and she brushed it off with a laugh and a 'not-at-all, its fine.' Jungkook really was sitting on her lap in one of the two pictures, triumphant smile on his face while the teacher looked slightly uneasy but fond nonetheless. The other kids looked like they wanted to throw a fit, some were even beginning to cry, and a boy was clutching on to Jungkook's arm, most likely trying to pull him off.

 

Jungkook wanted to stick the picture to his bed post. Seokjin wanted to cry.

 

-----

 

Jungkook experienced his first heartbreak when he was four and had to be shifted to a class with a different teacher. The boy huffed and cried and even went as far as pulling his new teacher's hair because 'Eomma! He's not pretty!'

 

Teacher Yook Sung Hyun was more than confused and had had to call Jin and Namjoon in the middle of the day because he couldn't deal with the whiny crying toddler.

 

"Well, at least my parents would be proud," Namjoon shot his husband an incredulous look from tha driver's seat, watching Jin console a puffy-eyed Jungkook in the passenger's seat while driving back home.

 

"What do you mean?" To have Jin so casually bring up his parents sent alarm bells ringing in his head.

 

"Oh this one's most definitely not gay."

 

Namjoon sputtered and choked and had to pull over to breathe once again.