A Court of Dead Bird and Princes.

The Throne of Sons.

Wang Wook

Father presides at court, with him overlooking them from his throne. He’s all dressed in white royal emperor robe. 

Princes and ministers. They all gather in front of the Emperor Taejo, Wang Geon. Their father. Their Emperor.

Father throws the cage into the air. The cage crashes on to the floor. The bird inside it, dead. They cast a side eye glance at the cage.

“This is the bird that ate the Crown Prince’s breakfast today. This happened even before it could swallow the first bite,” Father informs, waves a hand over a dead bird, “It was great luck that the Crown Prince skipped his meal because he was not hungry.”

Silence sweeps over the court. Only Father’s glare accompanying the prolonged silence.  

“Why is there no response? Catch the person who tried to kill the Crown Prince,” Father intones, his voice echoes within the vast court.

“We should figure out why it happened,” Wang Shik-Ryeom breaks the silence first, “What would change just because we catch the culprit?”

“Minister Wang Shik-Ryeom, what is it you are trying to say?”

Father’s cousin clears his throat, the older man’s tone grows louder, “Is the Crown Prince acting like a Crown Prince? At the assembly meeting, he only received greetings from the foreign envoys and left. He is either on the battlefield or visiting all known hot springs,” he pauses for show, faces the emperor, “Did you know that there is a rumour that the Crown Prince has an incurable illness?”

Wook shifts uncomfortably under Father’s intense gaze. At his advancing age, Wook knows that so much stress does much harm to the emperor’s ageing body. He’s not blind. Clearly so as the rest of the court. Save for his younger brothers.

But Shik-Ryeom makes no notice of the glare Father throws at his direction, “Therefore I, Wang Shik Ryeom, am making a request to you. Please depose the First Prince Mu as Crown Prince. I entreat you to name a new Crown Prince.”

A trembling anger reverberates in Father’s deep voice, “Do you all agree with him?”

Wook shifts uncomfortably under Father’s intense gaze. At his advancing age, Wook knows that so much stress does much harm to the emperor’s ageing body. He’s not blind. Clearly so as the rest of the court. Save for his younger brothers.

But Shik-Ryeom makes no notice of the glare Father throws at his direction, “Therefore I, Wang Shik Ryeom, am making a request to you. Please depose the First Prince Mu as Crown Prince. I entreat you to name a new Crown Prince.”

A trembling anger reverberates in Father’s deep voice, “Do you all agree with him?”

Again, none of Father’s sons utter a word. They exchange no sounds, but surprises and bafflement. Six million excuses, six million flatteries, six million deflections coalesced into an intangible, incoherent thought. The time’s too short for his brain to cough out a reasonable justification, one that won’t push Father further into the frailty often plaguing him.

Speak up. Who among you do you think will suit the position, if not the current Crown Prince?” Father repeats the question.

This is dangerous ground they are on. One wrong word, treacherous sons they all will be. Wook goes down to his knees, hands above his thighs and drops his head, “Please withdraw the words, Your Majesty. There is no one among us who wishes to become Crown Prince.”

Baek-Ah kneels down next, “That is true, Your Majesty.”

“Please withdraw your words,” pleads Yo, head bowed down.

“Yes, please withdraw them,” echoes Won, eyes cast on the ground.

“Please withdraw your words, Your Majesty!” Eun and Jung appeal together.

They chant together. As brothers. As princes.

Father utters a word and a name, “Astronomer Choi Ji-Mong.”

The astronomer, a man with short black beard, steps forward. “Loyal subject Choi Ji-Mong will relay the will of the heavens to all of you here.”

He launches into a speech that sounds sketchy, “Crown Prince Wang Mu’s star is a royal star in the sky. It is the first star of the five northern stars and it shines brighter every day,” hands illustrating movements of stars and skies (Wook thinks so), “It shines brighter along with the emperor’s shining palace of Goryeo. This means that he is not lacking as the Crown Prince.”

Wook believes in heaven’s will.

Ji-Mong … is Ji-Mong, a man that has his mind scattered all around the place. May or may not being able to interpret the stars and skies. He has Father’s trust, despite the questionable past events that led Wook to believe otherwise.

Father’s voice cuts Wook’s musing short.

“It has been 24 years since this land has been founded. The First Prince Wang Mu fought with me in many wars. He laid the foundation for this nation,” Father says, puts an end to the talk of deposing Mu, turns to the astronomer, “Choi Ji-Mong. During this spiritual ritual, Wang Mu will chase away the evil spirits. Prepare for it with great detail.”

Ji-Mong returns enthusiastically, “Yes, Your Majesty!”