One

The Oracle
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A long time ago, when there were tough decisions to be made and war to be avoided, the kings and queens would seek advice from the legendary Oracle. It was heard that those who saw the oracle would only see her once in their entire lifetime. For many generations, Kings and Queens had their future predicted by the one and only oracle, and more often than not, the village would prosper during that period of time.

 

For those who had seen the oracle, they believed that she was an angel sent down from heaven. Some believed she was immortal, for those who had seen her claimed she had the same face for centuries.

 

For many decades, kings and queens had been hunting down the oracle to keep her as their people. There was one group in particular, the crystal of light, that had been sent to protect their oracle from the humans. Or so they say.

 

-

 

The constant thud of heavy metal against lard ensued in the darkness. The only source of light was from that of the few nearby lamps, but even those were slowly dimming, as if the surrounding darkness was consuming the light.

 

"Have you found anything?" A rather hoarse voice floated in the air as the clinging of metal halted to a stop.

 

"No, keep digging," A different, gruff voice replied, and soon the clinging of metal and their ragged breathing was the only sound audible in the crisp air. The man held the lamp carefully close to him, using it as a guide to scan down the mountains of rocks. Catching sight of a good opening, he placed the lamp down cautiously as if afraid some mishap might happen and plunge them into eternal darkness.

 

All of a sudden, and almost too soon, a particularly high pitched cling pierced the air, causing the two men to pause.

 

"What is it?" A few voices whispered harshly, each wanting to be the ones who had found something valuable, something of use. 

 

Someone a few feet from them lifted his lamp, its light illuminating brighter around the cave. Everyone lifted their heads to try and take a good look of what the man had found. 

 

With trembling hands, the said man reached out his right palm and lifted a rather dusty and lonely looking crystal ball. It had a few small tints of cracks on it, but nonetheless, it gave off a slight glow, as if yearning to be found. 

 

The men gasped in awe at the discovery, and the shuffling of feet could be heard as they huddled closer together.

 

"It's a crystal ball," One man finally voiced out what the others were thinking, his eyes glued to the treasure.

 

"If we turn this in, we'll all get our pay for the next two months!" Another man piped in, and soon small cheers could be heard the cave.

 

"No," The man who held the crystal ball furrowed his brows. "If we sell this... we can get way more money than our pay," He noted, weighing the odds.

 

"What..."

 

"What can we do with our measley pay? Selling this crystal ball can get us more money!" The man continued on. 

 

The men surrounding him nodded in hush agreement. 

 

What they didn't know, was that the man who had found the treasure was planning keep his finding to himself. No, he wasn't going to share. If he split the money with them, how was he going to earn enough money for himself?

 

---

 

The prince aimed at the target, his fingers curled around the bow tightly and he shut an eye. With one flick, he released his finger and the arrow went sailing through the air and stabbed into the white board, almost falling off the edge.

 

With a sighed defeat, he dropped the bow, and unslinged the bag of arrows on his back, letting it slip to the ground with a loud thud. 

 

"Ugh!" He kicked the ground, dirt flying off the grass.

 

"You can't do it like this," The man beside him sighed. "Nevermind, that's it for today. You need lots of practice. We'll start with the basics starting tomorrow," With that, the sensei gave a small pat on his back before starting to pack up.

 

-

 

Having "finished" his arrows practice, he decided to practice his swordfighting by himself. 

 

He prepared his stance, and and flung the sword forward with weak flicks. He knew he wasn't good in anything physical. He couldn't aim properly, his sword skills weren't good enough, and he didn't have enough strength to fend of attackers. His mother had said he was born with  a weak body.

 

However in need he was of a personal bodyguard though, he wouldn't let anyone near him. 

 

---

 

The man limped out of the ominous cave, his eyes on the crystal ball the whole time as the men made their way out. Once light hit their faces, the man ran for his life, his grip on the crystal ball tightened. He just needed to go a little more...

 

Before he could reach the entrance though, the men behind him had caught on, trampling over each other to get their hands on the treasure. One had grabbed onto the first man's shirt, and without warning, he was flung back. He lost his grip and the crystal ball flew out of his grasp. Many eyes watched as their one and only treasure flew past their outstretched arms and crashed onto the ground with a out clank!

 

---

 

The men didn't notice as flowery dust fell out of the cracked crystal ball, forming a trail of line to the deeper end of the cave. A small glow evolved as a creature formed from the ball, its figure sprawled on the ground as it slowly formed the shape of a girl.

 

The girl coughed as she felt dust in her face. She opened her eyes, and they slowly adjusting to her dim surrounding. Dusting off dirt from her worn white dress, she pushed herself up. She pulled her dress, her widening.

 

It took her a moment to realise what was happening. And when she did, she just knew she had to get out of here.

 

-----

 

Chanyeol breathed in the fresh pond air, his gaze fixated on the little goldfish swimming in it. 

 

He didn't notice when something small and sharp pierced through the air, straight at him. A sword plunged forward, and the arrow striked the sword before it clanged to the ground. 

 

Chanyeol turned around, his eyes landing on a small petite figure wielding a sword. Looking up, the girl let her hand drop to her side. "Are you okay?" She asked. She was wearing nothing but a dirty, plain white dress.

 

The prince squinted at her. "What are you doing here?" 

 

"You were attacked," She replied nonchalantly, looking around but there no seemed to be no one here.

 

The prince gulped, noticing the fallen arrow, before looking around. After several minutes of silence, he turned to the girl and looked her up and down. "How did you get in here?" 

 

"Well...uh. By the wall behind the bush?" 

 

Chanyeol frowned. "How do you know of that? I mean, even if you do, how can you enter here? This is the king's palace!"

 

"Hey, i saved you and all you can talk about is trespassing?" 

 

"I could call the guards now and you would be arrested-"

 

The girl gasped, knowing she couldn't risk that after so many years of suffering. "Please don't! I was just told to save you, so please spare me," she rubbed her hands together, begging him.

 

Chanyeol raised an eyebrow. "Save me?"

 

The girl nodded her head vigorously. Biting her lips, she darted her eyes around nervously. "Truth is... I am the oracle," She whispered.

 

Chanyeol burst into laughter. "The oracle? You? Look at the clothes you're wearing and tell me that you're really the oracle and not just a fake."

 

"I really am the oracle!" She insisted. 

 

"Uhuh. And how will you prove it?" The prince asked, amused. He folded his arms and raised an eyebrow. In his twenty years in the kingdom, he had never seen or heard anything as ridiculous as this. He knew he would soon turn the girl over to the guards, so he decided to play along. Afterall, she did seem pretty pitiful, and she did save him. That made him wonder where she got the sword from. Did she steal it from the palace?

 

"Uh, you're planning to turn me in to the guards," Bomi, the girl, casually stated. 

 

"How did you..." Chanyeol frowned. "Well of course you know i would, you're trespassing into my property." 

 

"Well... isn't this your secret hideout?" Bomi asked. "You came in here from over there," She pointed to a small gap in the fence, covered by some bushes. "No one knows this place but you," She stated, as if recalling his life story. "I saw you come in here from there in my vision. That's how i came in here. It was rather hard trying to avoid the guards on the way, though." 

 

Chanyeol eyed the girl, not knowing whether to believe her or not. How was he to believe that she could predict the future? That she was the...oracle? He had expected the oracle to be much more...elegant, or at least have a graceful entrance, at least from the tales his father had told him as a kid. 

 

Suddenly, the girl's eyes widened. "The guards," She whispered. "They're coming." With that, she disappeared behind the bush and out of the palace, leaving Chanyeol to wonder what had just happened.

 

He turned around, but there was no guard in sight. "What-" 

 

"Chanyeol?" A familiar deep voice filled his ears a moment later, and he spun around. It was one of his guards. He was near the hideout, and Chanyeol could hear his footsteps as he frantically tried to find the prince. He waited till the footsteps faded, and he went out of his hideout, running up to the gua

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter