✉ 3 ✉

The Forgotten Letter from an Angel

Nichkhun is still standing in front of the tombstone of "Im Rin". He doesn't want to return to his home; he is frustrated just by the thought of empty house.

There is no Rin. There is no one.

He doesn't want to admit that he will be alone again.

But Seulong can see her, Nichkhun thinks. Rin is not my imagination. She is alive.

He leaves the funeral and makes his way to Seulong's house. He knows that Seulong moved back with his parents after the accident because his parents were really desperated after Rin's death.

Nichkhun wants to talk with Seulong. He wants to explain everything even though things are really strange right now. He doesn't want to know why Rin is still alive but all he knows is just she is real.

As soon as he arrives at the house, he knocks the door impatiently. He keeps knocking the door until a man opens the door for him.

It's Rin's father.

"Nichkhun?" he frowns, looked really surprised to see him here. No wonder because it's been a year since the last time Nichkhun visited this house. "What are you-"

"Please tell Seulong that I'm here to meet Rin again," Nichkhun interrupts quickly. "I will do anything but don't take her away from me again. I still love her. I always do."

Rin's father looks more confused. He opens the door wider, "Look, I think the cold weather affects you really bad. Come on inside."

Nichkhun looks around, trying to find a sign about where his wife is. Rin's father leads him to the living room, telling him to take a seat on the sofa while he sits across from Nichkhun.

"Where is Rin?" Nichkhun blurts out the question, staring at the man in front of him. "I know it's my mistake but I can make an amend for it."

"Nichkhun, what are you talking about?" he replies. Sadness is obvious in his eyes. "It's been a year. I know you're grieving. Both her mother and I have been grieving for the whole year, Nichkhun."

"Just... Just let me talk to Rin," Nichkhun ignores his words. He just wants to see his wife again. "I promise I will-"

"Nichkhun!" Rin's father cuts in as he gives a concerned look at the young man. "Rin is dead. You're there with her during the accident, remember? You're there when she took her last breathe. All of us came to her funeral. Haven't you visited her grave today?"

"No!" Nichkhun stands up. He doesn't want to believe what he just heard. "She is still alive! Ask Seulong! Both of us were with Rin! She is still alive!"

"Nichkhun, she's dead...," Rin's father shakes his head slowly. "I know you don't want to accept it but she's gone. It's impossible for her to come back again. Please, Nichkhun, she will not be happy if you keep acting like this..."

"But she is alive!" Nichkhun states it emotionally. He looks around to find Seulong so he can prove that Rin is still alive. "Where is Seulong? He took Rin with him..."

"Stop, Nichkhun, stop!" Rin's father grabs his arm when he is going to find Seulong. "Listen to me! You're hallucinating!" 

Nichkhun is going to retort but a letter falls out from his pocket; the letter Seulong handed to him before. He picks the envelope and stares at the white and plain envelope for seconds when Rin's father glances at him, "You need to calm down. I'll call Seulong down."

He obeys unconsciously. He sits down again and takes out the paper from the envelope to find a simple handwriting. Looks like a kid around six or seven years old wrote this letter.

"Papa, they said I can write a letter to Papa.

They said Papa will be good without Cheonsa.
If Papa is happy, Cheonsa is happy.

Papa said Mama is an angel now.
Is Mama happy?

Papa, smile.
Cheonsa loves Papa's smile.

Cheonsa loves Papa.
Does Papa love Cheonsa?

I want to hear Papa say Papa love Cheonsa.

Merry Christmas, Papa.

Cheonsa"

 Nichkhun's eyes widen in shock. He reads the letter once again and his eyes stop at the name of the writer: Cheonsa.

The memories he has blocked for the entire year come like a storm inside his head. The accident, the hospital ward, the funeral.

Everything.    

It's been a year since the accident happened on the Christmas night. Nichkhun was driving his car while his wife, Im Rin, sat on the passenger seat.

Rin is not the only passenger in his car. He remembers that someone is singing 'Jingle Bell' in the car.    

It's the third time they celebrated the Christmas together as a married couple after being married on January three years ago. They were on their way back to home after celebrating a Christmas party at an orphanage for charity.

Nichkhun tries really hard to remember why they were at an orphanage. He remembers that it's not only for charity because he talked with the woman who's responsible of the orphanage; he thanked her for a reason.    

He is still blaming himself every night because he was the one who lost control of the car. If he didn't lose his concentration, the accident won't happen and he will be celebrating the Christmas with his wife tomorrow.

His head is really hurt now because the memory of the accident comes into him once again. He has forgotten why he lost his concentration that night but now he finally remembers.

Someone who sat in the backseat called him and Rin. She was crying because she didn't want to return to home yet. Both Nichkhun and Rin tried to calm her down and that's when Nichkhun failed to see a big truck which was taking its turn on the way.    

"Having breakfast with a little angel, I see."

The words of the cashier cross his mind once again. Nichkhun covers his mouth with his right hand, still trying to deny what he thinks impossible.    

"Yah, Papa, I'm always here with you everyday. What are you talking about?"

She's always with him. Every each day when he woke up, when he went to sleep... but he never realized her presence.

In fact he denied her existence.    

Not because of the accident but because Rin couln't carry a pregnancy to full term, meaning she can't be pregnant. They found out about it a year after their marriage and Rin was extremely sad to know the truth.

A single tear escapes his eyes as the reality he has been denying for a year strikes.    

Nichkhun cheered her up, telling her that it's alright and they would try another way so they could raise a children together.

They never had a child of their own but they adopted a child from an orphanage. They adopted a little girl two years ago when the girl was only five years old.    

"Why don't Papa call me Cheonsa?"

They named the nameless girl with Rin's little nickname from Nichkhun.

Cheonsa.

Because she was an angel for them.    

"Don't touch her. You don't want her anymore. You don't even care about her and I don't want you to lay your finger on her anymore."

After the accident Nichkhun ignored Cheonsa because he thought Cheonsa is the one to blame for the accident. If Cheonsa was not there and crying, the accident would never happen at the first place.    

"After all these times, you dare to say that you love her?! You gave nothing to her, Nichkhun, and I"m not going to let her suffer because of you anymore!"

Nichkhun slowly forgot about Cheonsa. Whenever he woke up, he went straight to his office. Whenever he returned home, he never responded to Cheonsa and Cheonsa finally restrained herself from disturbing Nichkhun.

Seulong is the one who took care of her. He came to the house before he started to work and dropped her at his house so his parents could accompany Cheonsa. She refused to stay with Seulong because she didn't want to leave her father alone.

There were times she cried alone in her room because her father didn't talk to her but she stayed still because she wanted to make Nichkhun smile again.

"Papa!"

Nichkhun looks up and sees a little girl with white dress is walking down the staircase. Seulong is holding her hand, giving him a cold stare.

"Papa is here!" Cheonsa turns to Seulong who only forces a smile to her. He walks down the stairs and stops right in front of crying Nichkhun.

"What are you doing here?" Seulong asks him harshly, not feeling that he wants to talk with the man who has abandoned his daughter after the accident.

He has tried to talk with Nichkhun but they always ended up arguing. Nichkhun stated that he didn't have anyone but Rin and Seulong took it as Nichkhun didn't care about Cheonsa anymore.

Seulong finally made up a decision that he would take Cheonsa as his custody on Christmas Day, marking a year after Rin's death. He will take care of Cheonsa because he doesn't want Cheonsa to be sad because of Nichkhun anymore.

Nichkhun can't stop his tears. He looks at Cheonsa who keeps the innocent and bright smile on her face, looking back at him with loving eyes.

All he remembers is only the Christmas Day. All he wants just love... yet he has forgotten that his wife has said goodbye to him.   He forgot to take care of his little angel.

"Cheonsa always wrote a letter for you every month," Seulong tells him. "She asked me to teach her writing so she could tell you that she loves you. You never read them, didn't you?"

The letters Cheonsa wrote to Nichkhun are ignored by Nichkhun. He took the paper every month and threw those letters on the trash bin because he didn't think they're important due to the messy handwriting.

Cheonsa pulls her hand away from Seulong and rushes to Nichkhun. She wipes his tears away with her little hands, "Papa, don't cry. Smile, Papa, smile!"

Cheonse smiles widely to him, "Like Cheonsa! Papa said Cheonsa's smile is beautiful like an angel! Papa, smile!"

Tears are rolling down endlessly on Nichkhun's cheeks as he hugs the little angel tight.

"I'm sorry, Cheonsa...," he whispers between his cries. "I'm sorry... I'm sorry... I love you, Cheonsa, I love you..."

The little girl blinks in disbelief. She has been waiting for year to hear her father tell her that he loves her and now she hears it.

"Cheonsa loves Papa too!" Cheonsa starts to shed happy tears and hugs Nichkhun. "Merry Christmas, Papa!"

Seulong smiles sadly. He never hates Nichkhun at the first place. He knows that Nichkhun loves his sister so much that he denied Cheonsa's existence. He has planned to take Cheonsa overseas with him, leaving Nichkhun alone.

He was really surprised to see Nichkhun and Cheonsa this morning. He is more surprised now to see Nichkhun is hugging Cheonsa, crying because of things he only knows.

Nichkhun, in the other hand, has realized how stupid he is.

He denied Cheonsa's presence in his life and hallucinated that Cheonsa is his wife since yesterday.


It's all just his own imagination. His heart wanted to see Rin so badly that he made his own dream in reality.

"Papa, don't cry," Cheonsa sobs but she has a smile on her lips. "Cheonsa bought the pink carnation for Mama. Mama loves pink carnation!"

Nichkhun tries to control his emotion and pats Cheonsa's head gently, "Does Cheonsa know what is the meaning of pink carnation?"

Cheonsa shakes her head, tilting her head aside, wondering what the answer is.

Nichkhun kisses her forehead, telling himself that he will take care of this angel for now on and never leave her anymore.

"It means 'I will never forget you'."