Mina

In Which Everyone Is Interested In Jieqiong
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Contrary to popular (Eunwoo) belief, Yebin actually has nothing against Kim Sejeong. Well, besides the fact that Kim Sejeong is currently first place and none of the Pledis girls are. It's definitely not personal though really calling someone a God is a little too much, isn't it? So yes, Yebin is not Kim Sejeong’s number one fan but it is not like they are enemies or anything.

 

This may have a little to do with the fact that they, through some miracle work of having all been placed into the A group, are currently roommates.

That and Sejeong is stupid hardworking. That girl is out of the dorm rooms and in the practice rooms at the craziest hours, which basically leaves Kang Mina, Jieqiong and herself to each other's company. Kim Nayoung is also usually out, but more out like a light - and sleeping like the dead - to be part of most conversation. Perhaps this is a Nayoung thing. Im also requires a lot of sleep.

“So,” Yebin says in the direction of Mina’s bed, “have you known them for a long time?”

Mina looks up from her diary and Jieqiong’s sheets rustle, “Oh, Sejeong-unnie and Nayoung-unnie?”

“Mmhm.”

“Not super long,” she shrugs, “Maybe about a year or so?”

Mina turns to Kim Nayoung’s sleeping form, “The unnies have known each other for longer.”

She pauses, rolls over to look at Yebin, “You?”

Yebin shrugs, fibs a little, “Not super long here either.”

Technically four years is on the long side but Siyeon has been training for longer. Yebin grins, calmly throws Jieqiong under the bus, “She’s been around for five though.”

Jieqiong sits up.

“Yah. Kang Yebin. It's not like you've only been a trainee for half a year. Pot calling the kettle black. Hmph.”

Yebin puts on her most innocent face, “I don't know what you're talking about.”

“Yah!” Yebin hears more rustling and then footsteps before a weight drops onto the space on her mattress by her legs. It is too late for her to react as Jieqiong whacks her on the shoulder with a pillow entirely out of sight of the camera - damn blindspots.

Mina giggles.

“Yebin-ah,” Jieqiong coos. It is never a good thing when Jieqiong coos. Yebin cringes hard, then harder at the realization that she is currently bearing the brunt of Jieqiong’s displeasure since Eunwoo is not here. Not because she brought it upon herself, no.

Thwack.

“You know-”

Thwack.

“That it's-”

Thwack.

“Not good-”

Thwack.

“To tell lies?”

Yebin finally manages to put her arms up in self defense and intercepts the pillow. How Kim Nayoung is sleeping through this she does not know.

Mina giggles some more.

Jieqiong smirks at her.

“Fine, fine,” Yebin grumbles, “I've known Nayoung-unnie, Jieqiong, and Siyeon for about 4 years now.”

Mina frowns.

Ah.

Yebin always forgets that people don't know Jieqiong’s name. It comes so naturally to her nowadays when they are alone (or sort of alone) that she forgets that the phonemes are foreign, that they represent something other than her crazy funny friend.

Jieqiong doesn't forget.

Yebin knows that Jieqiong doesn't. Yebin should know better. This is not the first time.

The light dims a little in Jieqiong’s eyes. Yebin bites the inside of her lip as they both try to figure out the best way to say this without making Mina feel bad. Not that this is new to them but they have still not found a good way to explain it. Most people get really embarrassed or defensive. Most do not like to be reminded that Jieqiong is different. (But realistically there are moments when even the Pledis girls cannot see how Jieqiong is not Korean.)

“Ohhh. That's a really pretty name,” Kang Mina says, figures it out for herself, sits up in her bed, “Unnie, it's really nice.”

“T-Thanks,” Jieqiong squeaks out. Yebin puts an arm around her shoulders, squeezes.

“Does it mean something?”

Jieqiong squirms a little, flushes, “Jie is clean and Qiong is like, jade, like, uh, beautiful.”

Mina beams, “That's amazing,” she pauses, “J-Jieqiong-unnie.”

Jieqiong looks like she wants to hug the life out of Mina but also like she does not want to scare the younger girl off. Yebin’s heart has not been this light since this damn show has begun.

“Mina.”

“Y-Yes, Yebin-unnie?”

“Has anyone ever told you that you're adorable?”

“Unnie~~” Mina turns bright red and Jieqiong incredulously smacks Yebin with the pillow - in the face this time.

“Well, you're my favorite Jelpi girl, that's for sure.”

Kim Nayoung rolls over in her sleep.

Jieqiong laughs.

Yebin smiles.

 

Yebin honestly does not know why Jieqiong picked a cute song for herself. Especially not the same cute song that Kang Mina is doing. You know, the one trainee out of the 101 who is undoubtedly the most adorable when not doing anything. Except maybe Pick Me Center Choi Yoojung. But Choi Yoojung is a different kind of adorable. And fierce. And charismatic. Anyway, why Jieqiong would do this is a mystery to everyone. Not that this is a strongly original thought since she is sure that she heard MBK’s Kim Dani say something to that effect over lunch.

Yebin has seen Jieqiong’s come hither look a lot in training.

By that, she means that Jieqiong is acutely aware of what her own come hither look looks like and the effects it has on other people, which makes this choice of Apink’s song even more confusing. She could have picked anything else. 2NE1. 4minute. f(x). Fight Nayoung with the After School song which all the Pledis Girlz trainees can do in their sleep, backwards, on their hands. Okay, maybe not on their hands. Heck, even going up against Ki Heehyun and the Avengers (and Eunwoo) would be better for her since there is at least a story line there which guarantees airtime and everyone knows how to dance to Into The New World anyway.

But no.

Little miss genius cho

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter