END (종료)

Are You Even Happy?
 

END (종료)

 

Practice ended after seven excruciating hours on non-stop vocal and dance practice—and for Mark and Jackson, it felt even longer with the thoughts of the old lady from the bakery on their minds. But now that they were excused, the two reached their belongings and packed up as quickly as possible, eager to reach the hospital.

However, Mark was called back by JYP for a private conversation, and could only look at Jackson with an apologetic look on his face. ‘well, that’s my ride’ Jackson could only think, and sighed deeply, slowing down his packing process; there was nothing to look forwards too anyways. So caught up in his own thoughts, Jackson barely noticed the broad body walking up to him.

“Can I talk with you, Jackson?” Jaebum questioned a genuine look on his face—one he hasn’t seen since they were early trainees. Before Jaebum’s debut with JJ Project, Jackson’s playful demeanor attracted Jaebum’s chic personality—however, the two inevitably drifted apart after Jaebum’s debut and Jackson’s rumors about his foreign class. It was petty on Jaebum’s part to begin avoiding Jackson because of a rumor, but he didn’t want to attract any unnecessary attention, despite his celebrity stance. 

“Yeah, sure.” Jackson responds, slightly aghast from the sudden and unforeseen question. Jaebum nods, and walks out of the practice room, Jackson following closely. They occupy a small room next door, private enough for them to have a heartfelt conversation. Jaebum stops halfway through the room, and turns to face Jackson, breathing in deeply and letting the words fall out of his mouth. “I’m sorry for the way I’ve treated you, Jackson. Really. You mean a lot to me, and I’m sorry that I shoved you away when you needed me most, and brushed off so many times.”

Jaebum desperately wanted to look at anything but Jackson,  but forced himself to face the other in order to show is deeply rooted sincerity.

The misty tint to Jackson’s eyes caused worry for Jaebum, as he didn’t want the other to cry because of his foolish actions. Jaebum stepped forwards and embraced Jackson in a warm, tight, hug—one that Jackson so desperately needed after his eventful day. The tears he had fought throughout Jaebum’s soliloquy flowed without caution; trespassing the fortress that had been so tightly guarded. 

After Jackson’s breathing began to even, Jaebum pulled away to face the other, bringing his hands to the youngers face in effort to remove the tears staining his beautiful face. The blush Jaebum was met with made him swell with joy; things were finally okay between them. “Jaebum-hyung…” Jackson started, voice raspy from his intense sobbing. “Can you give me a ride to the South Seoul Hospital?” Jaebum nodded almost immediately, sensing the urgency of the others wish. “Yeah, let’s go. I’ve got my keys.” 


The car ride there was filled with a comfortable and peaceful silence, Jaebum holding Jackson’s left hand in attempt to calm him down. They arrived at the hospital at standard time, both quickly exiting the car as swiftly as possible. Jackson walked ahead of Jaebum, questioning the lady at the front which room “Kim Eunyoung” was in. “What is your relation to Kim-ssi,” the nurse asked, and Jackson believably answered “grandson.” The lady nodded, and turned to Jaebum. “And what is your relation to Kim-ssi” Jaebum was at a loss for words. ‘we can’t be brothers; we already showed our ID and the family names are different. I can’t be her son, I’m too young. Obviously not her daughter either. Mayb—“

“He’s my husband.” Jackson replied, in a confident and authoritative tone, grabbing Jaebum’s left hand to hide their non-existent wedding rings. Jaebum blushed slightly, trying hard to not make it to obvious. The nurse just nodded and handed Jackson a card with the room number on it. Jaebum was strongly pulled in the direction of the Intensive Care Unit. He could feel the trembles from Jackson through their intertwined hands, and Jaebum squeezed the younger’s to provide comfort.

The reached the door, Jackson opening it to find the grandmother who had occupied his mind for the past 11 hours. The grandmother smiled, motioning for Jackson and his friend sit on the chairs provided for visitors. However, Jackson rushed over to give her a loose hug, mindful of the critical state she was in. Jaebum bowed and introduced himself, moving to sit next to Jackson. “How do you know my Jackson?” the grandmother questioned Jaebum, the latter replying with “he’s my friend from JYP entertainment. We’ll be debuting in a group together.” The grandma eyed them suspiciously, glancing at their intertwined hands long enough for Jackson to follow her eyes and blush at what he saw. ‘since when were we holding hands again? I guess I just grabbed his hands without thinking.’

“Nothing more? Isn’t he an Alpha? And you’re an Omega?” the grandmother questioned, clearly confused at the lack of relation between the two despite their compatibility. “I was almost sure you two were mated, by the looks you’ve given eachother; especially the physical contact that seemed to come so easily.” The two just looked at eachother, quickly looking away when their eyes met.

“Aniyo, we’re just close friends.” Jaebum insisted, although in the back of his mind he wished they were something more. The grandma only smiled, giving up on investigation Jakcson and Jaebum's relationship. With a huff, she said  “alright, alright, I’ll sto—“

All of a sudden, sever and rapid coughs erupted from the grandmother, her doubling over, and blood staining the pristine white of her bedsheets. Jaebum quickly ran up to her, pushing her back against the bed and pressing the Doctor’s Button to the right of the bed stand—the quickening beeps of her unsteady heartbeat portrayed by the ECG. Jackson stood up, recovering from his shock. He couldn’t believe he was seeing the same hurtful seen twice; and it was significantly less bareable this time, as the true urgency of this situation surfaced.

Jackson slowly approached the grandmother, just in time to hear her say “please, take care of him, Jaebum. You and Mark, both.” Before the beeps in the room when flat.

Jackson began to weep hysterically, breathing erratic and mind unwilling to believe that the grandmother he came to love for the past four years disappeared from his life in the blink of an eye. Only when Jaebum picked him up, arms under shoulder and knee, and the doctors rushed in to begin their vain revival process using the defibrillator. It didn’t work. It never did.

Jaebum shut the door to the room, ascending up the adjacent stairway to bring Jackson to the roof.  The place he knew could calm any person down. Jackson willingly let himself be dragged wherever, he knew he could trust Jaebum; but the pain he felt at the moment was enough to fill his heart.

Jaebum brought them both to the guarded ledge, and turned to face Jackson; wiping the tears from his faces. “She’s gone. She’s gone” that was all Jackson could say. It was a silent mantra that he could repeat in a vain attempt to make everything less real and vivid.

Jaebum did the only thing he knew he could do to quiet Jackson. The older leaned down and capture Jackson’s lips in a kiss, hoping to stop the younger from inhumanely repeating the same two words over and over again. Jaebum only moved back when Jackson’s irregular breathing stabilized, and looked Jackson in the eyes. The pain, trauma, and sadness were apparent, and Jaebum just hugged the younger tightly, wanting those feelings to go away. The circling of Jackson’s arms around Jaebum’s waist told him that the younger finally calmed down—he’d finally accepted the passing of the beloved baker, Kim Eunyoung.

“Thank you, Jaebum. I honestly don’t know what I would’ve done without you.” Jackson said, looking Jaebum in the eye. The natural closing of the gap between their lips for the second time that day was more sweet and pleasant; less emotional than the last. Jackson smiled through the kiss, and leaned back, forehead against Jaebum’s. “I think I’ve found my mate,” Jackson said, staring at Jaebum with astonishment and adoration.

“So have I.”

 

 

 

If we can be together.
Even if this is easy to say,
It's hard to say baby.
If you are the one
To fill the empty spot in me,
Everything would be perfect;
If that’s you.

I will always make you happy;
I could only look on
From far away but,
Now I want to protect you.
Even your smile.
If we can love

 

WORD COUNT :1418 GOT7 [FLIGHT LOG: TURBULENCE "IF"] JYP ENTERT