COMPLICATION (복잡)

Are You Even Happy?
 

 COMPLICATION .1.(복잡)

 

[CURRENT DAY: NOVEMBER 1st 2013]

MARK AND JACKSON'S PAST

look at me, why don't you care?

Today was the first day of practice for GOT7's showcase that would be held in about one month. The boys all gathered in one of JYP's practice rooms, ready to begin. The only ones who hadn't arrived yet were Mark and Jackson, but Mark told them in advance they'd be late. The other's just brushed him off like usual, not really caring. It seemed as though the other members of GOT7, excluding Jackson, have a less prominent care for Mark. Regardless of what the oldest does for them all. He may be quiet, and he may be shy, but he still feels as though a certain level of respect towards him was necessary for their group to succeed.


Mark's feelings of insignificance was very minimal at first, lowkey and unimportant—why should he care if random people couldn't care less about his existence? Why should he care that all the other trainees didn't bother to help him learn Korean like they did Jae and BamBam? He just shrugged it off and taught himself. He started appearing at group Korean lessons less and less, as his self studying let the teacher give him a pass. The first time he missed a class [that usually contained about 200 students; all foreign trainees attend], it was a big deal within his bracket. Each bracket was designed in a certain way, the most talented and debut-ready at the top, listed from 1 to 20 respectively; each with 10 boys. Mark, along with Jackson were in bracket 1, Youngjae, BamBam, and Yugyeom at number 6, and Jaebum and Jinyoung automatically made it into the next group as JJP ended.

His bracket began to question him, and the lower ones began to think that Mark believed he was superior, even as a foreigner. Even the current GOT7 members hated him. They all believed his looks were what got him his spot in the company and in Bracket 1. But only Jackson didn't. The younger began to self-study with Mark so that it wouldn't seem so bad when two people were always missing. Even if Jackson was bullied for it. 

After the classes first exam, the trainees only began to hate the two more. The two ranked one and two out of two-hundred. It seemed as though it wasn't possible; they were never in class. But only when the professor told his students upfront that the two self-study did the trainees oppressive behavior begin to subside. 

But why did the two never show up to class and self-study instead? 

Mark met a grandmother who ran a small bakery nearby the JYP trainee's dorms. When he walked into the store, he noticed that it was full of people, but only one person was behind the counter; that grandma. He decided to help her out even if he wasn't an employee or getting paid. Mark worked for 4 hours until the shop closed, and began to question the lady. "Why don't you have any employees?" She only answered that no one she hired stayed for more than a month, as the workload was heavy and rest time was very short. Mark decided to ask the grandmother for a job, as it was obvious she couldn't keep running such a packed bakery on her own. The lady was full of joy, glad that someone with such a kind heart was able to help her out. Two people was more sufficient than one would've thought. And three was even better. Jackson heard from Mark about the bakery and showed up one day with no one's consent to help out; initially with no pay. He didn't want any. But the old lady pleaded, and Jackson reluctantly accepted a weekly paycheck.

They held this job for about 4 years before quitting, as forced to by there impending debut. The boys cried on their last day, the grandmother became like a mother to them. It was as if they were a small little familyand it was the second time in their life to break apart from one to pursue a dream. 


 Mark and Jackson decided to meet with the grandmother before attending GOT7's practice to see how she was. But what they saw on the exterior of the shop was completely unforseen. There was a sign that said 'STORE CLOSED- TO BE EVACUATED BY NOVEMBER 20TH'. 

The bakery was closing. Mark and Jackson ran into the shop, to see the old lady sitting at a table with a cake and coffee, hair significantly scarce on certain spots of her head. She looked up at them in surprise ready to stand and greet them, when all she let out was a an array of coughs. She was unable to stand up, almost falling to the tile floor if not for Jackson's quick refelxes. The latter felt something soaking into his shirt, and he looked, completely shocked by the vibrant red color that met him. He felt tears welling up in his eyes, as he raised his eyes to meet Mark's that stayed focused on the blood. Slowly, Jackson set the now unconscious grandmother on the chair to call 911. 

As they waited, Jackson could only cry while Mark was still not fully functioning. The older could only process and try to understand just what took place minutes ago before arriving to a dreadful answer. "Lung cancer." he whispered. Jackson raised his head from his hands, asking Mark to repeat what he just said. Mark looked him dead in the eyes before restating "Lung cancer." The tears began to flow more freely from Jackson, Mark going on to explain his assumption. "The cough, the blood, that hair loss, it all makes sense. Its most likely th—" was all he could get to before a cluster of men in black appeared just outside the shop; ambulance blocked from their vantage point but still apparent through it's deafening and stressful sirens. They never meant anything good.

They rushed into the shop and Mark told of the grandmothers condition while Jackson stayed in his spot still crying. The old lady was carried on a gurney by the strength of five men and the doors behind them closed. 

Mark and Jackson were all that occupied the shop in terms of those living —the memories shared in there surroundings were still vivid. After checking his watch, Mark sighed and grabbed Jackson up by his hands, giving the younger a warm embrace. He whispered kind and comforting words, before letting go and getting them to studio via his car, making sure to keep hold of one of Jackson's hands. 

They arrived at the studio, 3 hours later than anyone anticipated, and JYP's presence in the room only made the atmosphere more tense by their late arrival. Jaebum stared at them with anger, ready to shout at Mark, the older of the two, when Jackson stepped in front of the older, shouting "Leave him alone! He didn't do anything wrong! Don't you dare yell at him!" his eyes shut tight and aura intimidating unlike that of an omega's.

Jaebum could only stare in shock at Jackson, stepping back not by his own consent but by the hands of JYP holding him back who walked to the center with a simple "let's get this practice started."

WORD COUNT : 1205