To the Sea

To the Sea

His sun kissed skin glowed under the sunlight. His doe eyed look and his perfectly sculpted nose were complimented by his height. His hair was messy in the most beautiful way. He knew that he is good looking and even if he never tried, women flocked around him and fall for him. It certainly does not help when he is often nice to people. His constant smile may have made them misunderstand but who's to blame? He locked fingers with a girl who was kneeling in front of him from across the table. They have a meaningless conversation for a minute and she moved on. The girls liked it because he always smiled genuinely, every time.

 

She feels the sand under her feet, the way it tickles in between her toes. The dampness in the sand was getting the hem of her trousers wet. The bubbles which disappear as the waves roll back into the dark sea. Seaweeds stranded on the shore and remnants of a dead jellyfish. She pulls her hair out of her neat chiffon which she religiously puts up for work each day. She wonders if she is just burning out fast at a young age or that she has really had it. Her parent's business went under when the partner decided to take a stab at them. She learned the hard way that no one can be trusted. She pulls her phone out of her pocket and dials. The monotonous dial tone rings unnecessarily loudly in the silent night. Only the waves and the leaves dared to make a sound.

 

"Hello?"

 

Silence. The waves continued to roll. She thinks of how her life has taken a wrong turn just as how she did 1 hour ago when she took the wrong exit at the highway and ended up at this place. Nothing fits into this world. Humans merely insist on fitting in somewhere because we are all desperate to find meaning. She has lost all of them at once and she could not find any meaning to life. She spent months trying to figure things out but everything fell through, down into a blackhole.

 

"Hello?"

 

She clears .

 

"Hey."

 

He recognises her voice from a distant past, causing him to jog his memory. He wondered to himself why she would call out of the blue, after all these years.

 

"I just wanted to know one thing. Did you like me?"

 

He was stunned. Frozen in his footsteps as the members walked ahead of him to their practice room. The sound of distant footsteps echoed off the walls of the hallway.

 

"I liked you. It was in the past. All I want to know if you liked me too."

 

"I did."

 

The words fell right out of his mouth. There was nothing he could do to stop them even after all these years. They were words intended to be spoken back then and it all came too late. 

 

"Mmm... I see. Ok. Thank you for giving me an answer. Goodbye."

 

She hung up immediately, not feeling any sense of longing to hear more of his voice. The huskiness of his voice continued to carress her ears, an element which she has been missing a lot throughout all those times. Her phone rings.

 

"Where are you right now?"

 

"By the sea."

 

"Where?"

 

"You don't have to know."

 

A moment of silence hung between them. She decides that she should say everything tonight. The slow rolling waves, the rustling leaves and the beaming moonlight urges her to spill her deepest secrets; her buried feelings. 

"But I want you to know that... In that year, I saw you almost every night. You were always there in my dreams. I couldn't run from it. I simply waited until I grew out of it but it took me so long. You had a special place in my heart. You... you still do. I wondered for a long time, whether I'd really liked you and the answers which came back to me was: yes, I did like you. And that's all there is..." 

 

She hangs up, throws her phone on the sandy ground and begins to take off her clothes. She strips down to her lingerie and walks towards the dark sea. The moonlight bathes the place in its silvery dim glow. The ripples reflecting the remnants of moonlight it was capable of catching. She dips her foot into the waters and dived.