The Party

The Lobotomist

“Haruki?”

Jessica peered into the bedroom as she fixed her earrings to find her roommate still seated on the bed where she’d left her an hour earlier, the outfits she’d picked out strewn everywhere.

“You’re still not dressed yet? We have to leave soon.”

The detective looked up slowly and shook her head. “Jessica, what am I doing?”

The model sighed. “You’re having second thoughts about this now?”

“What was I thinking when I came up with this plan?” groaned Haruki.

“I asked you that a million times and you kept insisting that it was a good idea,” Jessica replied. “But you said this was the only way to get the nightmare to end.”

“You’re right.” Haruki finally got up and rubbed the back of her neck, staring down at the assortment of dresses. “These aren’t…mine.”

“Nope, they’re mine,” Jessica replied. “I went through your closet already, and you have nothing.”

“What’s wrong with what I’m wearing?” Haruki asked, gesturing to her blouse and dress pants.

“Were you wearing that at work today?” Jessica asked.

“Yes.”

“Then, no.” She reached into the pile and picked out a red dress. “Come on. This should fit just fine.”

“I’ll be a walking target. I might as well pin a bulls-eye on my chest.”

Jessica frowned as she lowered the dress. “I thought you said you wouldn’t actually meet with him.”

“If we can figure out who it is ahead of time, I won’t have to,” Haruki replied. “But if we can’t…”

“Bring your gun.” Jessica urged, grasping her roommate’s arm. “Please. In hopes that you don’t need it.”

The detective smiled. “Alright. I will.”

“Now, get dressed.” Jessica scooped up the dresses and dumped them in Haruki’s lap. “I’ll go figure out what we can do with your hair.”

“What’s wrong with my hair?” Haruki called after her, but Jessica didn’t hear her.


“Well, hey! Look who actually came to the party!” Seungri came towards Haruki the moment she arrived, grinning broadly.

“And she’s early, too!” Jonghyun added. “Oi! Minho! You owe me five bucks!”

"You made a bet on whether or not I’d show up?” Haruki asked. Jonghyun just smirked and dashed off. She spotted him bragging to the lab analyst, who shot her a glare as he reached into his pocket and pulled out his wallet.

“Actually, there’s a whole betting pool going on. Whether or not you’d come, when you’d show up, what you’d be wearing…” Seungri looked her up and down. “Nice dress. You just made me ten bucks richer. See you later!”

Haruki glanced at Jessica in exasperation and the model winced. “You deal with this every day?”

“Every single day,” Haruki agreed.

“So, where’s the birthday boy?” Jessica asked.

“I don’t see him…”

A hand grasped her shoulder and she flinched. “It’s just me,” Donghae told her. “How are you doing?”

"How many people have shown up so far?” Haruki asked, deliberately avoiding the question. “Do you have an estimate?”

“Taeyeon’s been keeping attendance, actually,” her partner replied. “She’s paranoid about this going well. Shindong called in saying he was sick, Siwon’s not allowed to come, Sooyoung is out buying more food, and Ryeowook is late.”

“So, four people are missing,” Haruki murmured. “Do we know where Shindong and Siwon are?”

“Shindong’s at home. I called and confirmed it,” Donghae replied.

"That doesn't mean anything," Haruki argued. "He could always leave later." 

"I know," Donghae nodded. “Siwon is at Heechul’s house. Heechul’s keeping an eye on him for now.”

“Heechul’s keeping an eye on him.”

“Yeah.”

“Then what’s he doing here?” Haruki pointed at the door, where Heechul was strolling in like he owned the place, greeting everyone cheerfully.

“Guess he couldn’t pass up a party,” Jiyong murmured, appearing at Donghae’s elbow.

“Then where’s Siwon?” Haruki asked. Donghae shook his head. The party had just started, and they had already lost control of the situation. 

“What’s our game plan?” asked the hacker.

“Spread out and watch…everyone. Keep your eyes on the doors and watch for anyone who leaves or enters,” Donghae ordered. “We have thirty minutes until the agreed meeting time.”

“Twenty-nine minutes, now,” Haruki replied. “So let’s hurry.” Glancing around the bar, she spotted a large group gathered around the bar and headed in that direction.

“Hi, noona,” Taemin greeted as she approached.

She grinned. “You’re the bartender?”

“Taeyeon assigned me to the job,” he explained, straightening the ends of his bowtie.

“I thought you were too young to drink. How can you be mixing them?” asked a familiar voice and Haruki turned, smiling at her friend.

“Hey, Sungmin.”

“Hey, Haruki. Hi, Taemin.” Sungmin grinned at them. “Can I have a beer?” Taemin reached for a pack behind him and slid a can across the counter to the detective. He popped the top and took a drink, before smiling at Haruki. “You look great.”

“Thanks. Taemin, I’ll have-”

“Hey, everyone!” Chief Park practically bounced towards them, grinning from ear to ear. “This is great! I didn’t know you guys were planning this party for me! And you all came, too!”

“Happy birthday,” Haruki said.

“Thanks! I-” Chief frowned as he turned towards the door. “Is that Siwon?”

Haruki whipped around, eyes widening at the sight of the broad-shouldered detective slowly entering the room. “What’s he doing here?” she asked. “He hasn’t been cleared of his charges yet, he should still be suspended-”

“I invited him,” Sooyoung replied, appearing with a plate of appetizers. “He’s still part of our department, and I’m pretty sure we all know he’s not guilty. Biscotti?”

“No thanks,” Haruki replied, abruptly pushing away from the bar. The churning in her stomach would make it impossible to ingest anything tonight.

She glanced at her watch. 6:09.


“I never realized how many people our department had,” Jiyong murmured as he and Donghae stood off to the side, surveying the scene. “And I’m still having a hard time believing there’s someone that sick in our group. I mean, we’ve all been working together for years.”

“Well, believe it,” Donghae replied shortly. He had been on edge all day, snapping at anyone who talked to him, and rushing through his usual duties.

“What’s Youngbae doing?” Jiyong asked. His fellow hacker had picked up the purse Haruki had left on a table and seemed to be looking through it. Jiyong muttered something under his breath and headed in that direction, while Donghae took a deep breath and folded his arms across his chest.

“Great turnout, huh?” Yoona smiled as she approached him. “Why are you standing over here, being all anti-social?”

“I’m not in the mood for a party,” Donghae replied.

“Well, you could at least pretend for Chief,” Yoona retorted. “You and your partner, both.” Her eyes narrowed as she glanced between them suspiciously. “What else is going on here, Donghae?”

“Hopefully, nothing.” He glanced at his watch. 6:16.


“So you’re Haruki’s roommate?” the detective who’d been introduced as Yesung asked. Jessica nodded. “Why did she bring you along?”

Yuri cut in before Jessica could answer, glaring at Yesung. “Sorry, he didn’t mean to be so rude.”

“It’s fine,” Jessica replied. She glanced around the room, groaning inwardly. This was the most boring party she’d ever attended. “After my sister was…you know, I moved in with her for safety.”

“But that didn’t work out so well, did it?” asked Yesung.

The model narrowed her eyes. “What do you mean by that?”

The detective smiled and excused himself, heading towards the bar. Jessica gave Yuri a questioning look and the other woman sighed. “Yesung was assigned to the case of the first known victim of the serial killer your roommate is hunting down. He spent months on the case, but he never found anything.”

“I see…” Jessica pursed her lips as she watched the man chat with the bartender. Her eyes flickered towards the clock. 6:21.


“You’re jumpier than usual,” T.O.P. commented as he sipped a glass of wine. “Ugh, this stuff is disgusting.”

“Then why are you on your fifth glass?” Jiyong retorted.

The older man shrugged as he drained the wine in one gulp. “It’s here, and it’s free. So what’s up with you? You’ve been looking like a zombie all night.”

“Nothing,” Jiyong replied. “I’ve just got a lot on my mind right now.”

“Well, lighten up, man! We’re celebrating our Chief’s hundredth birthday or something,” grinned the other hacker. When Jiyong didn’t smile, T.O.P. peered at him more closely. “Does this have anything to do with Daesung?”

“Why should it?”

“Because ever since they found his, you know, you’ve been even more on edge than usual,” T.O.P. replied. “I know our division is usually kept out of the loop. We only do jobs when the detectives come to ask us for help. But you know…” At this, he straightened up and looked Jiyong in the eye. “We’ve never hidden anything from each other, GD. I don’t understand why you’re starting now.”

“You should have told that to Daesung,” Jiyong said bitterly. He checked his watch. 6:28.

Damn it, he thought. Damn it all.


They were out of time.

Haruki’s heart was pounding in her chest as she clutched her purse to her side and headed towards the coat rack. “Haruki! Where are you going? The party just started,” Eunhyuk called out, rushing over to her.

She smiled as best as she could. “I’m just…Taeyeon asked me to pick up some…stuff,” she lied, hoping he wouldn’t question it.

“Alright then,” he replied. “Come back before he opens his present! You should see what we got him.”

“Looking forward to it,” she replied. She snatched up her coat and headed towards the door as she pulled it over her shoulders, but a second voice stopped her.

“You’re really doing this.”

Haruki didn’t turn around to look at her roommate as she replied, “Wish me luck.”

She opened the door and stepped outside into the glow of the setting sun.


The address was relatively easy to find. Even though the sun hadn’t set yet, the street was deserted. Most people had probably already gone home for the day. It was Friday, after all.

Which meant there would be no witnesses if things went south.

The ridiculous heels she was wearing clicked against the sidewalk as she approached the abandoned store. She peered in the window, but all she could see were shadows from the fading sunlight.

She took a deep breath, and reached for the doorknob.

A thin layer of dust covered the floor, and the sheets covering what she supposed were racks of clothing were coated with dust as well. The unmarked floor told her that no one else had arrived yet.

Her footsteps echoed throughout the empty store, and after a moment, she slipped off her heels and set them on a shelf, placing her purse next to them. Then she reached into her ankle holster and drew her Glock.

She checked her watch. 6:31. He was a minute late, which meant he would be arriving at any moment.

Haruki closed her eyes and exhaled slowly. She could feel her heart’s rapid beating in her chest and her hands shook as she tried to hold her gun steady. Each breath made her raise her head a little higher, as if building up a confidence which she knew she didn’t feel.

Her arms were cold, the goosebumps prickling as a shiver ran up her spine to an imaginary chill. She breathed out again. “Calm down, Haruki,” she murmured to herself. “It’s not your first stakeout.”

But it’s the first one where you’re all alone.

The buzzing of her phone in her purse made her jump and she debated whether or not to ignore it. It had to be Donghae, calling to ask her progress. She didn’t answer; he and Jiyong would be there in five minutes later anyways, to serve as backup.

6:34. She released the gun with her left hand, letting it hang at her side as she viciously rubbed at the goosebumps on her arm. The store was giving her the creeps as well; in this horror movie setting, it wasn’t hard to imagine what could be concealed beneath those sheets.

Maybe he isn’t coming. The thought crossed her mind, simultaneously hopeful and disappointed.

Her leg muscles tensed as she fought down the urge to run. It wouldn’t do any good to be so nervous- fear would make her lose control, and right now, she needed every ounce of control that she was capable of.

Her teeth chattered and she clenched her jaw, though she could still feel the shaking reverberating down to the rest of her body. Glancing down at her skirt, she realized that it would probably get in the way if she needed to escape. She bent down to tie it up.

The door opened and she straightened instantly.

He’s here.

“Hello, Haruki.”

Ice ran through her veins, flowing from her feet up to her neck as her mind worked to register the identity of the man before her. Her whole body was paralyzed, with fear or shock, she didn’t know which. dropped open, breath catching in as all she could do was stare. What was he doing here? He was her friend! He wouldn’t hurt her…right?

Her lips moved, whispering the name of the man who’d been tormenting her the past few months. “Sungmin…”


“I’m glad you wanted to meet with me,” he said and she took a step backwards, hands shaking, the gun nearly slipping from her hand as it dangled at her fingertips. 

“It was necessary,” she found herself saying faintly.

“Odd place for a meeting, though.” She gritted her teeth. Was he mocking her?

“I’m glad we agree on something,” she said.

“So, what did you want to talk to me about?” he asked.

Something inside Haruki snapped and her hand tightened around her gun. “Are you actually asking me this?”

“Is something the matter?” Sungmin asked. She could practically see the tiny smile on his face as he walked towards her, hands in his pockets.

Is something the matter- was he serious? Was he still playing with her?

“How could you?” Haruki asked, her voice basically a whisper. Sungmin said nothing. The shadows inside the store prevented her from seeing the look on his face. “How could you?” she screamed.

“Haruki, calm down…”

“Calm down? You murdered all those girls and you’ve been stalking me for almost a year and you’re telling me to calm down?” she shrieked.

“What are you-”

Don’t lie to me!” She took the safety off her Glock and leveled the gun to Sungmin’s chest, though she knew there was no way she’d be able to shoot him. “Don’t come any closer.”

"Haruki, what-”

"Freeze!” The door burst open.

Haruki had never been so glad to see Donghae in her whole life.

Sungmin slowly turned around, raising his hands into the air, staring in bewilderment from one to the other.

“Haruki, are you alright?” Donghae asked.

“I’m fine.”

“Lee Sungmin?” It was Chief Park’s voice- the entire department was slowly filling into the store, staring at the man, their colleague in utter disbelief.

“What’s going on?” Sungmin demanded.

“You’re under arrest for the murder of Park Gyuri,” Donghae said sharply, pulling his handcuffs out of his back pocket. He grabbed the other man’s arms, wrenching them behind his back and clasped the cuffs on tight.

“What?”

“And that’s only the tip of the iceberg,” Jiyong added, crossing his arms. Beside him, Ryeowook had tears in his eyes and Siwon was glaring at Sungmin with such a fierce intensity, Haruki felt herself shiver, even though it wasn’t directed at her.

“I didn’t do it!” Sungmin protested.

“You have the right to remain silent,” Donghae warned as he hauled Sungmin towards the door. “Anything you say can and will be held against you in a court of law. You-”

“Haruki!” Sungmin twisted around to look at her, shaking his head. “Haruki, you have to believe me! I swear! It wasn’t me!”

Donghae yanked him back. “You have the right to speak with an attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be appointed for you. Do-” Eunhyuk stepped forward to help and the crowd parted as they wrestled Sungmin out of the door.

“Haruki, please! You have to believe me!” Sungmin yelled.

“Do you understand these rights as they have been read to you?”

“Haruki!”

Haruki felt her eyes prickling and she looked away as Sungmin was yanked out of sight.

Jessica shoved her way through the crowd and wrapped her arms around her roommate’s shoulders. “Are you okay?”

Haruki let out a sob. “He was my best friend…” she whispered.

Chief Park rubbed the back of his neck as the other detectives shifted uncomfortably. Yoona, Sooyoung, and the other girls came forward, but the most they could offer were a few comforting pats. There were no words they could say to make things better.

Haruki had been a member of the FID for three years. Everyone knew her serious and cold demeanor; it was something they could count on, just one constant in the world of insanity and ambiguity that they lived in.

It was never meant to be broken.

“I’m sorry,” Jessica murmured, and Haruki broke down in tears.


She wouldn’t be checking her phone that night; she wouldn’t be doing anything but lounging around in a catatonic state. He was sure of it. After all, he knew her like no one else did.

Their Chief Park had decided that it was probably best for Haruki to be away from her apartment for the night. It was best to keep her away from anything that reminded her of the case.

He almost laughed at that. As if she could forget anything. 

She was staying at her roommate’s apartment; that annoying girl had driven them both away mere minutes ago. He was fine with that; she’d be returning tomorrow, anyways. She would sit at her desk and read through the files on her case for hours, wondering how she missed it, how she didn’t figure it out earlier.

Everyone was still in a state of shock. But why wouldn’t they be? One of their most trusted friends and colleagues, guilty of the most disturbing crimes they’d ever seen. 

He smiled. Idiots.

He flipped open his phone and began texting. She’d see it tomorrow, he knew she would. He couldn't wait to see the look on her face.  Reading it over once, he smiled again before sending it:

“Did you really think you could catch me like that?”


A/N: No giving spoilers in the comments, people. Please.