Date 2

12 Dates to Find 1 [On Hiatus]

 

 

- 2016.03.10. -
Hyewon: 94
GD's BAE BAE: that was fast
Hyewon: Problem?
GD's BAE BAE: not the least!
Saem-Saem: go for it girl~

- 2016.03.12. -
GD's BAE BAE: nokdu street, moonlight café. thursday 3pm.

 

Hyewon had to double check the message to make sure she has read it well and she have to go back to that place. No, that's not her eyes misleading her. This is some nasty move of fate.

 

Hyewon: Moonlight Café?
GD's BAE BAE: you don’t know where it is?
Ha Jungha: D37°28'13.076"
Ha Jungha: E126°56'20.681"
Ha Jungha: These are the GPS coordinates.
...

 

Hyewon let out a sigh. Why that place? Why that café out of all? Thinking back, she acted rather weird. It's a wonder the bartender went with her plea and didn't throw her out instead. He even gave her a fortune cookie before she returned to the table. Well, she intended to thank him for that anyway… not exactly during a date though. What now?

"Kim Hyewon-ssi, if you don't bag your phone at instant, I'll have to ask you to leave."

"Yes. I'm sorry, professor."

Hyewon tried to look as apologetically as she could until Mrs. Lee turned back towards the board and continued explaining. For the rest of the lecture she had made notes and looked straight forward. This course was an especially important one. Friendzone-curse or not.

Just when they were dismissed, did she check the chatroom again.

 

...
GD's BAE BAE: there you go
GD's BAE BAE: look for someone tall with a resting face
GD's BAE BAE: you won’t be able to miss

 

Hyewon grimaced reaching the end of the messages. Moving onto Date 2 was a random decision on its own. At least the date should be good so she can say later it was worth it. But resting face? That's not promising at all... 

"What's with the long face?"

Right next to her a small girl with a ponytail and dangling earrings popped up. She was Kang Seulgi, a student from Hyewon's year. Also a nice girl, a ball of sunshine impossible not to be happy to meet.

"Seulgi, hi! Just reading my roommates' crazy messages as per usual... What about you?"

"I thought this lecture is never going to end. But fortunately it did!" She chuckled. "Actually, I have something to ask. Tell me, Hyewon, do you have anything to do on Thursday afternoon? I'll go playing with a few friends and I've thought you might want to join."

Hyewon smiled at the offer. Both of them did Track and Field for two semesters. Probably that's why Seulgi is asking. She knows she's up for some exercise anytime.

How bad it is Hyewon has to refuse.

"Sounds good but I've already promised to meet someone then."

"Oh, it's fine." She flashed a nice smile. "Then next time!"

"Yeah, next time definitely."

 

 

Unlike previously, for her second date Hyewon had made certain preparations. For example, she put on a bit more makeup than usual in form of bold colored lipstick and a subtle flare of eyeliner. Also pulled out a different set of clothes as well. Since Chaeyeon warned her she shouldn't be going wearing a skirt or anything with a heel (for what reason, that remained a secret), Hyewon had chosen skinny jeans and a girly t-shirt. From the outside it still didn't show she's about to go on a date but she comforted herself with the fact that her effort will show at the right place and right time. She’s got this now. She has to!

On the way to the café she also reminded herself of the effort she has to put into their conversations. Learning from her date with Junmyeon, Hyewon decided to act less friendly, a bit reserved. That way the victim, I mean, dating partner won't feel friendzoned right from the start... And pretty much here her ideas ended. She didn't know how else she should keep the date being a date so just like every time, she trusted her familiarity with males. If she can keep that under control, she can certainly benefit from it. Anyway, an instant change was needed.

Because just yesterday Hyewon had regular guitar lesson and once again, she felt out of place. Unlike last time though, now she knew the reason behind her discomfort - the scene from the café kept repeating in her mind during the whole lesson. Even when Chanyeol lightly scolded her for not doing a run properly (They’re connected because they’re intended to be played together and... you know that, Kim Hyewon, why don’t you do it?) she kept failing because instead of concentrating on the script, all she could think of was the long-haired, pretty girl and her warm smiles shining on the guy currently trying to better up her bad guitar skills. Was she jealous? Yeah, maybe. It was her who Chanyeol invited there after all so the girl’s interruption was rude. However, the fact Hyewon felt this much wronged by it was beyond strange. She thought the feeling will pass if she succeeds at the next date and have something else much worth to concentrate on.

Regardless of the excitement she felt, Hyewon entered the "Moonlight" cautiously, at the same time with a little group of people. It would have been unfortunate if the bartender recognized her. It was possible he already forgot about her but it was better to go for sure and hide. Hyewon didn't want to explain her behavior from the other day. She walked inside and looked around. Someone tall with a resting face...

No matter how crazy she sounded, Chaeyeon was right with the description. After a little searching, Hyewon did find someone who fit the conditions. She almost laughed out loud at how proper he did. He was tall - he was sitting but even from that it was visible he's probably past 180 centimeters - and the expression he had on was the least impressed one Hyewon has ever seen. It must be him. Has to be.  100%.

She took a deep breath and as calmly as she could pretend, walked over. When she arrived, she opened to say a pleasant "Hello" but the guy was quicker to speak:

"There you are."

It wasn't the exact welcome Hyewon has seen coming. Even so, it was a welcome proving her assumption, so she nodded.

"Then I guess you're ninety-four."

"Yep. I prefer Oh Sehun though."

Oh Sehun... such a simple yet nice-sounding name.

"Nice to meet you, Sehun. I'm Kim Hyewon."

"I know."

Okay, that was a bit creepy. That "I know" did sound like he really knows her. But from where? Hyewon didn't remember his face at all which is something because Sehun had quite the face. Quite the sharp but flawless face... Where the hell does Chaeyeon get these guys from? She might as well know the source of youth and the way to Atlantis.

Sehun sighed and looked at the girl standing in front of him tiredly.

"You're going to stand all day?"

"N-no."

Hyewon took her place confused. Shouldn't he have said "Take a seat" or something? He has the nice looks but not the same nice personality. At least God forgot manners when he was made, from what she has experienced. What kind of date is this supposed to be? Or... did she go up to the wrong guy perhaps?

Even though the description fitted the guy perfectly, after such a bad impression, Hyewon didn't feel ridiculous to turn her head around a few times and seize up the males in the place once more. Maybe her nice date is hiding somewhere else...?

"Stop looking. It's me you're looking for."

"Are you? I'm not that sure."

He smirked.

"I've wanted meet you for a long time, Kim Hyewon. We have something to settle."

Oh-oh. Why did that sound deadly instead of y? (Okay, it did sound a bit y. But more deadly for sure.)

"And what is that? Will you tell me finally?" Hyewon asked bravely. Her patience has started to run thin.

Sehun folded his arms on the table, showing off his broad shoulders and surprisingly strong arms for his skinny stature.

"Let me ask something first. Do you know who I am?"

Just the assumption was dumbfounding for Hyewon.

"Um… am I supposed to?"

"Just think about it for a second. "

She did but nothing has come up for a while. Once again, if she knew him, she would remember him. But the fact Sehun has asked... Wait a minute. That’s it. The name Sehun!

"You're Jongin’s friend, aren't you?!"

During all the times they've spent together Jongin hasn’t introduced him to any his friends because of many reasons - first of all, and most importantly, she's never been his girlfriend. There wasn't a need for a formal introduction and well otherwise, they didn't push it too much. Even when an opportunity has risen, said friends at the end couldn't make it because of, for example, dying cat, important exam, errand to run, etc. Hyewon never minded it, Jongin never mentioned he minds it. So eventually they stopped trying. It wasn’t a big deal.

The reason why Hyewon knew of Sehun, however, is because he was the one she couldn't help but get to know indirectly: he was the one who were constantly calling Jongin, wherever and whenever they went out.

One particular case was stuck in Hyewon's mind. They were sitting in the library hall, both of them preparing for an exam. (Or at least they were supposed to. In reality they watched cute pet videos more but that's beside the point.) And no matter how many times the security guard glanced at them in warning, Jongin's phone kept ringing; after it was muted, buzzing relentlessly.

"Someone sure misses you a lot." Hyewon had commented on it back then casually. She tried ignoring it but at the one-hour mark she had to say something.

Jongin merely shrugged before turning a page in his grand Calculus workbook he was reading, eyes squinting effectively. (He is supposed to wear glasses, at least when it comes to reading, but come on, why would he, he’s Kim Kai with an image to hold up.)

"It's just Sehun. Don't bother."

And that was it. Jongin left it like that. Hyewon thought therefore it's not her business so didn't ask about it anymore.

Now she kinda regretted that. At least she would have known what to prepare for... because the stares Sehun was giving her turned into glares, foreshadowing nothing good.

"You have no idea how many hours I had to spend bored because of you." He said in an icy tone. "Kai was basically unapproachable."

Ah, so his problem is that because she was spending time with Jongin, he couldn’t…? Nonsense. They weren’t together 24/7. If Sehun wanted to meet Jongin that much, he could have.

"You're exaggerating."

"I’m not."

Hyewon sighed hearing the grumpy voice. So childish. Also isn't this a problem between Jongin and Sehun? Moreover, isn't this supposed to be a date? ... If Chaeyeon knew this is going to happen, she's so going to die. This doesn't help on the curse. Heck, this doesn't help on anything! It's just trouble.

"I believe your friendship with Jongin is not my business... Look, Sehun, I'll be super blunt about this. I came here to have a date. If you don't want to do that, it's fine -"

"Oh, we are going to have a date. Don't worry about that." He smirked again. "You'll make up for the time I've missed because of you, Kim Hyewon. With your own time."

 

 

 

The bus took a right turn, to the road leading out of the city and all the composure Hyewon has possessed flew straight out of the window.

After that rather ambiguous sentence, Sehun didn’t say more just grabbed her wrist and pulled her outside, all the way to the closest bus stop. She could barely get her things and moreover, before Hyewon could utter a word of protest, a vehicle arrived and the two of them got on. She should have learnt those self-defense technics she felt ridiculed by in the Terms of Use. Now they would have come in handy.

Because they were headed to not even God knows where but surely far from everything civilized and all Hyewon could think that this is not a date. This is kidnapping at its finest.

„You know you could totally be put into jail for this.”

„The same goes for you.” Sehun said nonchalantly. „Stealing friends is a crime.”

Hyewon let out a tired breath and swung her head back to the headrest.

"How many times do I have to tell you I haven’t stolen your friend?!"

„You can tell it as many times as you want. You still did so.”

„That’s just what you’re thinking.” She corrected. „I admit Jongin and I spent some time together. But believe me, if I have known he’s disregarding his other friends because of it I would have -”

Hyewon intended to continue but the way Sehun glanced at her made the words stuck in .

„Shut up. It’s going to be how I said. The only way you can make this up for me if you spend this afternoon with me.” He reassured then plastered that stupidly attractive but also utterly annoying smirk back on his face. „Also didn’t you want to have a date? Here you go, baby.”

How is this a date?! Hyewon wanted to scream out in frustration.

„Don’t call me baby... And one more thing. It’s not like I want to put the blame on someone else but have you happened to consider that its Jung Soojung who is spending the most time with Jongin lately? You ’re going after the wrong person.”

Alright, she was putting the blame on poor (actually super rich) Jung Soojung but hey, desperate times call for desperate measures. Hyewon didn’t want to spend her second date with seeking revenge.

„No, I’m going after the person who is responsible for that. A little bird told me you’ve had your hand in that too.” Sehun confronted her with the fact. „Now stop complaining, please. We’re almost there and I’m sad I have to remind you but we’ve come here to have fun.”

„Well, I’m not sad to remind you that I haven’t had a single fun yet and this date or something has been going for an hour -”

„Oh thank God, we’ve arrived.”

Just as Sehun thanked the Heavens, the bus indeed paused in the middle of nowhere. Sure there was a large building surrounded by barbed wire but that excluded Hyewon could see all the way back to the town. She had no doubts that if she squinted enough, she could catch a glimpse of Chaeyeon rocking out to BIGBANG fancams and Jungha doing their laundry, all the way from here. (Saemi not included, because she’s probably out jogging somewhere, burning her non-existent fat.)

What the heck are this place supposed to be? Well, it is the perfect place to bury your body if he happens to contemplate your murder, something way too crazy said in Hyewon's mind. She immediately shut it down. It has to be something else, obviously. No need to panic this much.

„Come on.” Sehun pretty much commended her.

At least there was some civilization in this deserted-for-first-look place - by the entrance of the fenced area a little group of people were chatting. As Hyewon and Sehun got closer, one of the people waved over there. Apparently they were waiting for the two of them.

Hyewon nervously gulped.

„You didn’t say there will be others.”

„If I said, you probably would have declined. Just smile and wave.”

Uh-uh well what about not, I’m not a penguin from that lame Madagascar movie, Hyewon thought annoyed. She might have come but it doesn’t mean she will do anything else according to Sehun. Nope, he won’t have full power over of her. A date is about two people. (And a kidnapping is always about the person kidnapped.)

Just when they were less than ten meters away, did she recognize that it’s maybe she can panic a little because it wasn’t just some others. There are a few of them she even knows.

„Hyewon!” Seulgi exclaimed delighted. „Whoa, what a coincidence.”

„I know, right?” She responded awkwardly. „The universe works in mysterious ways.”

„You ’re not the only one surprised.” An older guy commented. He was most definitely more mature than them but it turned out only in appearance. „Sehunnie didn’t mention he brings someone.”

The other two guys next to him started to make jeers in a teasing manner. Hyewon sent them a disapproving look, especially to the one who she has identified as Youngjae, one of Saemi ’s countless exes. No wonder the two of them weren’t an item for long. He probably behaved like this then as well.

„Donghae hyung, stop.” Sehun snorted.

„Why? It is a big deal.” A small girl with light-brown hair shared Donghae’s opinion before turning to the new arrival with an encouraging smile. „Hi, I’m Wendy... Hyewon, right? Seulgi has told a lot about you. I’ve never thought we meet you as Sehun's plus-one though.”

„Hi, Wendy. Nice to meet you as well. All of you.”

Plus-one was a very cautious naming of her role. Hyewon was however thankful for it. After the teasing it would have been really uncomfortable if Sehun revealed that they’re supposed to be -

„Actually she’s my date.” Sehun told not a second later rather causally then even smirked at his temporary partner. „Right, Hyewon-a?”

„Oh wow.” The other guy, standing next to Youngjae exclaimed. „You’ve started going public with your dating life just at the right time. We were short on one person because Chanyeol hyung cancelled in the last minute.”

At the mention of the name, Hyewon froze. Chanyeol? As in her um, guitar-teacher-Chanyeol? Park Chanyeol? It was very unlikely another person with such unique name exists but the fact was almost incomprehensible for her. Damn, if Chanyeol showed up and he saw her with Sehun that would have been... she wasn’t exact what but nonetheless it didn’t give her a nice feeling. Phew, that was close.

With the reveal came another thing to worry about but Hyewon couldn’t think of that because immediately after the news broke out, a pouty voice cut through the air.

„Hoon, what do you mean by that?”

One look was enough at the owner of the voice for Hyewon to figure out she is also the owner of the long hair and shiny smile she has seen a few days ago directed at Chanyeol. Coincidences are everywhere but this much at once...

„How sad. Park Chanyeol doesn’t show up when Choi Jinri has come out only for him.” The same guy sharing the news continued with a cheeky smile.

„And how disappointing you’re still a human bulldozer, Jung Ilhoon.” Seulgi scolded him, putting an arm around the disappointed girl’s shoulders. „Don’t give a about him, Ri.”

Hyewon didn’t say a thing. She was bombarded with one surprise after another, she felt too occupied to have a word in the conversation going in front of her. Jinri. That name sounds way too familiar. But from where… She’s sure she knows. It was on the tip of her tongue yet at the moment she couldn’t figure out. Later she will.

„Alright, I say less words, more action.” Donghae spoke up, eyes glinting with mischief. „Let ’s decide on the teams.”

While the four guys get into an argument about who should be appointed as team leaders, Hyewon got back to her senses and sneaked upon Wendy to figure what exactly is about take place ergo what kind of date Sehun has planned.

„You don’t know?” The girl asked then giggled. „Sehun even arranged a surprise for you, that’s cute! We’re going to play paintball.”

Paintball.

Being interested in sports in general, Hyewon knew right away what that means. She was just dumbfounded that it’s going to be their date. How romantic it is hunting for each other, shooting each other, with paintballs which can hurt if the aim is right... That was sarcasm. Lastly for emphasis, Park Chaeyeon is going to be dead.

From the heated debate of the boys Sehun and Donghae had come out as winners of the title. There was a total of eight players so the selection went down quickly. Hyewon expected to get into Sehun’s team, she’s his date after all, but for her utter surprise, Sehun gladly let her to be taken by Donghae.

„Hey, don’t you want your girl to be on your team?”

„Hell no... I mean, I couldn’t concentrate then.”

Seulgi and Wendy cooed at the fond words. Hyewon didn’t because she knew it’s all a lie. Also she has happened to see the evil glint in Sehun's eyes when he said those words... Obviously this is going to be all about getting even. Goodbye friendzone-curse breaking plan for today. She has to literally run for her life in the next few hours if she wants to make it back to town alive... but hasn’t she been in a worse situation? Of course she has had.

Even though it went against her ideal kind of date, Hyewon couldn’t help but be a little excited about the game. Since it’s been a long time she has been on the field (during winter the track was closed and the university gym is always too crowded), she was missing some exercise. This is a good opportunity to move her relaxed muscles a bit and get ready for spring.

After they got their gear from an employee of the field, the two teams went to have a little meeting about the strategy, theirs shared by Donghae.

„Seulgi, you should go for Ilhoon. He’s really fast, you’re probably the only one who can chase him down.

She nodded in satisfaction.

„Got it.”

„Youngjae, you try to get Sehun.”

„Why me?” The guy whined. „He’s a madman. I’ll be out in three minutes.”

„Don’t be a scaredy-cat. You’re the only guy in the team -”

„What about you, hyung?”

Donghae put a hand on his heart offended.

„I’m not shooting my favorite dongsaeng.”

Hyewon had to suppress a laugh. It was obvious from the over-acting that he’s actually as afraid of Sehun as Youngjae is. This called for a sacrifice.

„I’ll do it.”

The boys looked at her with doubt.

Seulgi lightly touched Hyewon ’s arm.

„Sehun can be quite aggressive.”

„It’s okay.” Hyewon responded, feigning confidence. „You’ve heard him. I can distract him if I want.”

Youngjae made an inappropriate sound at the suggestive tone of the sentence. What a douchebag.

 ”Honestly I’ve wanted to entrust you with taking care of Jinri.” Donghae admitted. „She’s not really the athletic type.”

The girl in question looked up from her phone she was scrolling through all the while with Bambi eyes.

„Save me, please.”

Despite of the slight bad feeling Hyewon felt about her, Jinri's reaction was undeniably adorable... She just couldn’t let her die outside alone.

„I can multitask. I’ll stay with her and take down Sehun at the same time.”

„Thank you.” Donghae blurted out finally then grinned. „If you succeed, I’ll give you my blessing.”

Seulgi and Youngjae laughed at the offer. Hyewon grinned back fake. Like that would happen.

Since it was her first time playing, Seulgi gave her a rundown right before they started. Hyewon listened well. It would have been really unfortunate if she had out before she could shoot Sehun in the .

After accepting the fact, she is going to play paintball with a revengeful Sehun on her back, Hyewon had come to the conclusion that yes, she is going to play and give him a taste of his own medicine. That’s the least he deserves for bringing her here instead of a proper date and treating her the way he does. She might learn nothing today about how to not get into the friendzone so at least she shall enjoy herself, in form of giving a brat a lesson. Seems fair enough.

„Just make sure you stay in cover.” Seulgi finished. „Only come out if you thought it through. The boys over there are known for being provocative as . Don’t let yourself become affected.”

They lined up by the edge of the field. Even though they were wearing masks, Hyewon spotted Sehun easily. He was posing rather cockily in the middle of his team, balancing his weapon on his shoulder. He was probably smirking again too. Hyewon felt her blood boil.

Jinri was standing right next to her, looking rather shaken. Why she came at all - Hyewon wondered. She has known what is ahead. She had a choice... Does it worth for her to go through this just to see Chanyeol, really?

„The guys aren’t joking with it. I’m really bad at this...” She spoke up suddenly. „Thanks for staying with me even so.”

Hyewon smiled... then realized it can’t be seen because of the mask so tried again with words.

„You’re welcome. Let’s give our best.”

Donghae did a last cheer and then the game has started. Listening to Seulgi's advice, Hyewon shot out of her place and dragging Jinri with herself, they settled down behind a cover immediately. By the disappointed and loud „” flying through the air, Youngjae was immediately out. He could get out in less than three minutes, with or without Sehun's intervention after all. Nice. Their team had a bigger number of players (next to their team of five, Sehun had apparently only Ilhoon and Wendy with himself) but it didn’t give them any benefit at all.

In time the so-called teasing had started as well.

„Kang Seulgi, where are you hiding? I surprisingly don’t see your eyeliner from over here.”

Said girl was crouching down two covers away from Hyewon. She was also rather close to Ilhoon who had called her name so she stayed silent.

„I'm coming for -”

Ilhoon's dumb move of talking instead of properly hiding, resulted in Donghae shooting him ten seconds later. Peeking out from behind her cover, Hyewon got to see the ball pop on his knee and Ilhoon himself leaving the field cursing.

Seulgi laughed out loud.

For quite a time nothing major happened. Some players have moved, some stayed. Everybody was acting cautiously - Hyewon and Jinri no exception. The former knew it’s time for them to play as well because this way both of them will be found at once soon but with Jinri clutching onto her coat firmly and whispering „Stay” every two seconds, it seemed to be too risky to do so.

She had to come up with something else... like right at the moment.

„Its time to reunite, baby!”

Hyewon gritted her teeth at Sehun's calling. This guy is practically asking for it, isn’t he? 

„Jinri, we'll go.”

„Don’t!” She whisper-yelled in panic.

„We have to. Sehun is coming for us.”

„Let him shoot us. It’ll be over then.”

Oh so that is what Jinri was playing at.

Hyewon let out a sigh.

„I understand you didn’t come for this but now you’re part of the team. And as that, you should work for the victory just as much as the others. Trust me as your fellow player and come with me, okay?"

Jinri looked into her eyes quietly for a few seconds then hesitatingly nodded.

Hyewon took a deep breath. She has seen Wendy hiding a few meters to the right. If they moved slow, she'll take them down. They have to make it to the next cover as soon as possible.

She waited until Seulgi started shooting at Wendy, then Hyewon grabbed Jinri's wrist and the two of them ran out.

The adrenaline pumping in her veins reminded Hyewon of the excitement she has felt on the track. Her legs moved swiftly, just like then and before she knew it, she was already lying on her belly, safely behind the cover she planned to be at.

About Jinri - she couldn’t keep up but thankfully could stay in game and hide a few covers down on the left. She must have understood her role and decided to take part. Great.

Hyewon tightened her grip on the weapon. Now it’s time for Oh Sehun to experience the humiliation of leaving the game by his first-time player date.

„Where are you, baby? I don’t see you coming.”

It didn’t feel right provoking the enemy but at least it was effective. The next moment at least five shots were firing at the cover Hyewon was hiding behind. She had to grin at that.

Eventually Wendy and Seulgi ’s battle had come to an end. Unfortunately, the former aimed better and Seulgi had to join Youngjae and Ilhoon outside. Ilhoon made a nasty remark which earned him a slap on the head.

Despite of her earlier behavior, Jinri has become more active. Even though she didn’t shoot at all (actually she left her weapon behind a few minutes ago, the poor soul) and was running very slowly, she could dodge the hits well and reach a cover before it could be too late. Hyewon felt somewhat proud of her.

She was so distracted by her teammate, she failed to notice an enemy creeping up.

"Got ya.”

Hyewon startled as Sehun was suddenly kneeling next to her, hugging her closely from behind. Where the hell did he come from, damn it.

"You’re surprisingly good at this game.” He whispered in her ear. "Have you played before?”

"N-no.”

"Then are you an athlete?”

"I did middle-distance and hurdling.” Hyewon blurted out in stress but then cleared . Now is not the time to get to know each other better. "You should have shot me like ten seconds ago. Are you nuts?”

"That would be no fun." Sehun chuckled. „I’m enjoying this way too much."

Hyewon had to disagree. Although she did find the game exciting, the almost nonexistent distance between Sehun and herself was not okay the least bit. He’s been mean to her all afternoon. What’s with the sudden skinship, is it part of his teasing as well?

"If you keep this up, we'll get a penalty and be out in seconds." She tried to shake the guy off but it was like fighting a rock. If this was teasing, it definitely worked. Hyewon hissed in frustration. "Get off of me, Oh Sehun, so we can put an end to this."

"I’m comfortable, thanks.” He answered nonchalantly, leaning even closer to nose at the girl’s cheek lightly.

Hyewon shuddered.

"What are you doing?”

"I offer you a deal. You do as I say and you can run free.”

Huh?

Meanwhile the others had put two and two together and became aware of the situation.

"Lovebirds, this is team play. You either being lovey-dovey outside or separate.” Donghae called out in a funny voice.

"Don’t let the enemy lure you, Sehun-a.” Wendy laughed. "I believe it’s tempting but you have to resist!”

Sehun didn’t bother to answer. His focus was on the girl close to him.

"Decide quick, Hyewon-a. Time is ticking.”

"I don’t even know what your deal is." Hyewon pointed out, trying to shut out the complains flooding in.

"It’s easy.” Sehun said. "Promise me you make Kai and Soojung break up.”

What the -

Hyewon felt so offended, she could barely keep her voice down.

„You’re out of your mind?!”

„That was a joke, obviously. God, you really have no sense of humor.”

„Well, my kind of people usually don’t joke with something like that. And sorry but you’re not funny at all.”

„Look who’s talking. You’re kind of annoying.”

„I can say the same about you.”

Sehun snorted, amused.

„You little... Okay, since you like me so much, here’s the deal for real. Give me a kiss.”

Hyewon became numb for a second at the unexpected and mind you, rather inappropriate request. Once he wants to hunt her down, next she knows he’s asking for a... kiss? Does this guy have a split personality or is he simply a ert? Certainly, there’s something wrong with him.

„Don’t even dream about it.”

Sehun's response to the denial was shooting right above her head. Whether it was intended or not, the hit reached Jinri's calf which has been poorly hidden. The girl yelped and after a momentary pause, stood up and left the field relieved.

„You’re next, baby.”

Hyewon gulped at the threat. This was no joke now.

„I-Isn’t a kiss too much, I mean, we’ve only met today. Kissing on the first date is-”

„You won’t be the first one to do so.” Sehun smirked and taking off his mask, he patted the side of his face. „Come on, Hyewon-a. Earn your freedom. It won’t hurt.”

She let out a deep breath and thought it through once again. Would it be so bad to just get on with it? Sure she dislikes Sehun as a person but at least he's hot. And it’ll be a one-time thing. She could run free easily after that... Oh my God, what is she thinking?

Hyewon felt mortified. What is wrong with her? "At least his hot"? No, she won’t be a girl like that. Friendzone curse or whatever, she won’t let go of her pride, especially not for such a player like Sehun. It would be easier to just get on with it but she will not.

During such an intense brainstorming, eventually a useful idea popped into her head. It was a very risky move... but whatever, worst case happens she’s out and can go home. Sure Sehun won’t get the humiliation he deserves but at least this hell-of-a-date ends.

Just as Sehun opened his mouth to call her out for hesitating, Hyewon lightly turned around in his embrace and only stopped when their faces were inches apart. She felt her cheeks redden at the proximity but she didn’t give up. She was willing to do the plan throughout.

When the other players in game has heard a hit, they peered out cautiously over their cover to check who shot who.

"Hyewon, are you okay?" Wendy asked hesitatingly.

For their utter surprise, Sehun emerged from behind the cover and he had his mask off, along with a bright pink splash on his lower leg matching the color of his face, indicating that he’s...

"Sehun is out, what the ?!" Youngjae cried on the side, loud enough for the whole city in far to hear.

Ilhoon and Seulgi exchanged similar surprised looks.

Donghae only rolled on the ground cackling.

Hyewon couldn’t keep the grin off of her face a few meters away either. She succeeded! It's hard to believe but she reached the effect of surprise she has wanted and could shoot Sehun when he least expected it... It’s a wonder why he didn’t fire after her though. She ran quite far. He had the perfect chance... Whatever. He’s lost ha.

After her triumphant victory, Hyewon was so happy she could barely pay attention to the rest of the game. It was no wonder, really, that Wendy found her two minutes later and scored a hit on her back. She had no regrets though. Hyewon left the field almost dancing, accepting Seulgi's offer for a high-five enthusiastically.

"That’s what I call a strategy!"

"Fortune favors the brave."

She gave a side-glance at the guy standing on the opposite side of Ilhoon. Sehun was rather silent ever since he’s been out. Is he sulking or just plain tired? She must have stared at him for long because eventually Sehun noticed and looked back at her with a weird glint in his eyes.

Ilhoon, standing in-between the two, broke into a -eating grin at the scene.

"Oh whoa, how strange the atmosphere has become suddenly... What did you two do exactly?"

It was surprisingly a question none of them wanted to answer. As in, Hyewon expected Sehun to boast about it but he didn’t. Strange. Hyewon noted this difference as well.

In the meantime, Donghae and Wendy speeded things up. However quick and sneaky Wendy was, it showed Donghae isn’t new to this game, including facing the girl as an enemy, and without wasting more time he caught her in the middle of running. Wendy dropped dead with an exaggerated cry.

"Finally."

Seulgi ran to her and helped her up giggling. Hyewon would have gone to help as well but she had another person to handle.

"You’re a hero!" Donghae whooped with joy while simultaneously lifting her up in the air. "Hyewon-a, you did it~"

Hyewon was embarrassed at the attention.

"That’s... a bit much. "

"Oh don’t be bashful. You were awesome. You deserve a treat... Right, Sehun-a?"

The younger nodded instantly.

"Yes, she does. That’s why we’re going."

For once, Hyewon didn’t fight an order coming from Sehun. She felt dead tired after all the running and some rather sticky situation. Even though Seulgi and Wendy pleaded her to stay, she shook her head supporting his decision.

"Let her be. She’s on a date, don’t you remember?" Jinri spoke up after some serious silence on her part. Well, she was on the phone with someone all the while so it was understandable. At least now she paid attention and even flashed a rather nice smile at the new friend. "Have fun, Hyewon-a!"

The girl called thanked in awe. No wonder Chanyeol was speaking to Jinri back in the café for at least twenty minutes. Saying no to a presence like hers must be an inhuman task to handle.

They spent barely an hour outside the city but Hyewon welcomed the familiar buildings and crowd relieved as the bus arrived back to Daehak. It felt like they were on the field for a day. Also during the ride Sehun hasn’t said a word and it started to become awkward. Who would have thought not hearing anything from him can be more disturbing than his teasing and meanie nature? - Hyewon was baffled by this discovery.

Based on how much the mood had dropped, she expected the end of this date-to-be with them standing in front of the Moonlight again.

Sehun thought otherwise.

"I’m walking you home."

"You don’t have to. I know the way and you must be busy -"

"I insist. " He told quietly before breaking into a small half-smile. "Come before I have to threaten you, okay?"

Hyewon couldn’t stop looking at him from the corner of her eyes until they reached the girls-dorm from then on. Something has definitely changed about him. That smile a few minutes ago was almost nice. What a shock... Or is this part of his plan: playing nice so she will feel worse when he changes back to be revengeful?

However believable that sounded after such an afternoon, Hyewon doubted that’s the case. Sehun had changed his attitude for some reason, something not about trying to get a friend-stealer pay for their mistake. At one point this was revealed to be true - once they reached the rather crowded university area, Sehun leisurely yet intentionally put an arm around her shoulders in order to stay together in the sea of people. Hyewon was pleasantly surprised by the action and for once, she did feel like this is a date.

She was also dying to know why Sehun is acting this way. She gathered up her courage to ask as they arrived in front of the dorm.

"Sehun, tell me something. The date started after the game, right?"

For a few seconds he kept his pokerface on then Sehun chuckled. His sweet voice sounded carefree and unmasked.

"Honestly, this wasn’t supposed to be a date. I have really wanted nothing more than hunting you down over there and let you know you can’t just do as you please without thinking of others. I was confused and hurt." He admitted unabashedly. His honesty was both straightforward and appealing somehow. "But... now that I know you like know you based on my own experience, not just through Kai's rather disturbing, biased words, I have to say I’ve become even more confused.2

Hyewon tilted her head to the side at the weird conclusion.

"What do you mean?"

Sehun took a step towards her, eyes unreadable.

"At least he would have dated you after so much time together but he just continues keeping you in the dark… I thought Kai is stupid but no, he’s an idiot because he looked through you and went for Soojung instead."

Oh so that’s how it is…Hyewon couldn’t help but smile. Now she understood where Sehun's jealousy has come from.

"We weren’t together like that." She told, swearing in her mind this is the freaking last time she explains. If someone asks once more, she just directs them to Jongin. "And it was good that way. I still consider him my friend even though he’s dating now and meeting him is basically impossible because he’s attached to Soojung's hip… Anyway, you should talk to him. Jongin will understand and I’m sure the two of you can improve your friendship.2

"O-okay… I see now it’s not only Kai who’s dense as a brick. You’re kind of slow, aren’t you?"

"Hm?"

"It’s great you cleared things up but don’t miss the point." Sehun told, looking into her eyes determinedly. "I mean I’m not stupid to disregard you. I want to see you again."

 

Oh whoa.

All afternoon Hyewon wasn’t swooned once. In the means of real feelings of course - Sehun has had the visual no girl could be unaffected by. But that sentence, that had made Hyewon's heart flutter in her chest. Even though Sehun is clearly not the type she wants to have a relationship with, just the fact he thinks of her like that, is somewhat thrilling and definitely feels good.

"Okay… Why not? You owe me with a real date after putting me through such misery."

The guy snorted.

"You’re not the only one who suffered… but true. Give me your number so I can reach you later."

After they exchanged numbers, Hyewon just had to ask one more thing… for science.

"Sehun, what has made you change your mind?"

"What exactly do you want to hear?"

"Frankly, I want to hear why you want to meet me again."

Opposite to his arrogant confidence earlier, Sehun blushed at the direct question and looked awkward at once.

"I… I said it already."

"You didn’t get into details." Hyewon pressed, also a bit awkward but way more determined to care about that. She needed evidences it won’t be a friends-meet after all.

"Well, you were amazing during the game." Sehun started after some time, carefully avoiding her eyes. "I mean, you did great. You ran fast and dodged impressively and took Jinri on your back willingly, even though you have been told she’s a nuisance, at least when it comes to paintball. I think I’m drawn to you now because of your skills. Also when you whispered in my ear… That was too y, really. I could charge you for assault."

Hyewon groaned in her head at the last comment. Her way of distracting worked way better than she has thought it did. Alright, she did whisper in his ears "Learn manners first, baby" but she didn’t intend to seduce him… Great. Wait. That was flirting, right? Whoa, she can flirt! Without being aware of doing so…

The two of them were standing around for a few seconds idling, before they got fed up with it and said goodbye.

"I’ll see you later then."

"Yeah."

"I will be busy in the next few days but I will call you."

"Okay."

...

Strangely enough, instead of leaving, Sehun stayed in his place a little bit more. Hyewon got uneasy thinking he might want to do something. He wanted a kiss earlier, no? He might go for it now…

There is a saying which goes "Don't count your chickens before they're hatched." And other than being a universal truth, its timing to prove its truthfulness is beyond perfect.

"Won-won~"

Hyewon turned her head back at the unusual nickname and yep, Saemi was jogging towards them with a blissful smile on her face, blonde hair being blown in the light wind.

"You’re already finished! I thought we'll have to wait for you." She exclaimed, not panting the slightest. She probably jogged as slow as a snail again.

"Well, it somehow happened like this." Hyewon told puzzled. "And truthfully, I’m not finished yet."

Just at the reminder, had Saemi become aware of someone else being with them. She looked up to the stranger with doubled eyes then put on an awkward smile.

"Oops... Pretend I haven’t showed up, okay? Just continue your date with her, she’s super cute!"

Saemi was gone in a second but her intervention doubled the tension. Hyewon looked at Sehun, hoping he won’t react negatively to that. Saemi can bring the worst out of people sometimes. And she did just crash their date, even though it was going to end soon.

However, Sehun had no mind to react negatively to the new face. He followed Saemi's figure until it disappeared behind the gate and when he turned back to Hyewon, his eyes were positively sparkling like never before…

"You’re... you’re Ahn Saemi's roommate?"

"Yes?"

"Oh my God."

…and that moment Hyewon knew no goodbye kiss will take place.

 

 

 


 

Holy-moly this is finished. *shooting fireworks, opening champagne* I won’t lie, other than my laptop still doing and my studies keep sitting on my shoulders and my family is trying to go on my nerves, I also struggled with how this date should turn out. Like I didn’t want it to be cliché – okay, this whole story is a big, fat cliché so let’s just say instead I didn’t want it to be too predictable lol. Also wanted to keep Hyewon's character as I imagine her to be. I think I succeeded after all. But you’re to judge!

Do you like Date 2? Did you find the paintball game interesting or you weren’t half as excited as I was during writing it? Have you ever played it? Who would you out of the players of the game? (Me equals Jinri. I’m so un-athletic it’s not even funny.) I was trying hitting at something at the end of the chap, did you get it? Don’t hesitate to tell me about all your thoughts, ideas, complaints if you have in a comment. Thank you so-so much for all the views & subscription!

Have a wonderful day!

sophie94