Date 0

12 Dates to Find 1 [On Hiatus]

 

"This is stupid... and I'm sorry to say but you haven't done your research."

"My research is done and it's perfect! It's you who has the defect of being so doubtful."

Hyewon rolled her eyes at Chaeyeon's remark. They were walking down the stairs from a lecture both of them had. They had nothing else to do for the day and Chaeyeon decided to use that to follow the plan she has made - even though Hyewon nowhere agreed to her participation.

"Of course I'm doubtful. Your ideas are crazy..."

Saying that immediately one incident came to her mind: that time Chaeyeon swore that if they show up late at the club, they'll get a free pass. "I know from a solid source that after midnight the bouncer is much more convincible, especially with young, pretty girls like us", she had said. For some reason (see more at student loans and dormitory life) they listened to her and had to go through the humiliation of being denied in front of a crowd, including Saemi's at-the-time-current crush (she cried a river after) and Jungha's professor (who wasn't supposed to be at a nightclub but happened to be there anyway and witness his favorite student trying to illegally confiscate the dancefloor). At the end they paid the fee and tried to have fun but in conclusion they had one of their worst nights ever. That night was added to the "Mistakes We Never Commit Again" compilation book in Jungha's hidden safe and the three of them had made the promise to never listen to Chaeyeon's advices again if they are 1) about getting something free and/or illegally and 2) they come from a "solid source" when actually it's just a rumor going around or worse something totally made up by Chaeyeon herself.

This curse-something seemed to fit the second condition so Hyewon thought she's worrying for a reason.

"Okay, I'll tell you everything again. I even brought my sources this time. You'll believe me." Chaeyeon said confidently before the two of them spotted a free table outside, in a pleasant distance from the university buildings as well as the common areas where people could eavesdrop them.

The extra bag Chaeyeon returned with after lunch consisted of neatly stacked papers clipped together, various diagrams printed out and glued to card stock and a thick book with an ambiguous cover of a woman either trying to make out with her reflection or trying to sell a new lip color. All in all, they weren't too promising... but Hyewon turned a blind eye over them and decided to actually listen and trying to understand her friend's logic.

"The friendzone-curse is not a scientifically proven thing but we both know that doesn't matter to any of us, we're no science majors after all." Chaeyeon started. "However it is common knowledge in university communities. You must have heard about the expression "friendzone."

Hyewon felt a bit offended by the questioning look which accompanied the sentence above.

"Of course I have! That's why I'm confused why you're thinking I have anything to do with it... I mean, it's not like I've seen anything in Jongin and probably he didn't either because he's just got together with somebody else with help of mine which I did willingly. Nobody is being friendzoned in this situation. You're on the wrong path."

Here goes her trying to be understanding for once... but how else could Hyewon react? She was being ridiculed.

Chaeyeon clicked her disapprovingly.

"You are the one on the wrong path, sweetie. There is no way Kai hasn't seen anything else but a friend in you. In the beginning he surely contemplated on dating you. Every guy does when he encounters a pretty girl with a pretty mind."

"I'm not approving you a calling me sweetie but... Pretty girl with a pretty mind? That feels nice." Hyewon accepted the compliment with a timid smile. "Continue."

"So what I think had happened is he gave you two a chance but you shut down all his attempts as soon as they were made and probably very efficiently for that matter if he moved on so fast, even asked you to help by the process." Chaeyeon visibly shuddered. "That just won't do. If you keep doing that, no guy will fall for you. Or at least you won't have a relationship."

"You're forgetting something. I'm not in need of one."

To be completely honest, Hyewon was thinking about dating once in a while. For example when she saw a cute couple sharing an umbrella or she wanted watch the new Studio Ghibli movie but she had no one to accompany her... otherwise she's good with being "single" as her relationship status is labeled. She has things to do (like studies and hobbies) and enough people around her to have a healthy social life. Getting a boyfriend is just not a priority. It wouldn't be bad but only with someone who catches her eye, when the time feels right for it.

Also Chaeyeon is missing out on the fact Hyewon isn't a stranger to the opposite .

"I would have known if Jongin felt anything for me." She continued. "I'm not blind. I know when a guy is courting or making a friendly gesture."

Chaeyeon looked at her so reproachful, Hyewon felt intimidated for a minute.

"What is it?"

"Please, never say that sentence again. You.reading.guys.well? You've gotta be kidding me. Just- no! Turn back the time and correct your mistake or bury it 25,000 miles below sea level, I don't care just do not believe in that."

Okay, this was getting rude.

"I've had more guy friends than girls since ever. I understand them and getting on well with them." Hyewon declared in a strained voice. "You can't deny that."

"I'm not denying that. Hey, don't take my words the wrong way." Chaeyeon switched back to a friendlier tone. "What I'm saying is you only keep them as friends. You always approach them with the intention of befriending them and you know how guys are. They're dense as a brick. They only understand what's said straight into their face clearly and on full volume, not to mention their fighting spirit vanishes into thin air when it comes to courting a girl longer than ten days in the friendzone... So to get straight to the point, your friendliness is putting them off. That is the friendzone-curse. If you once get used to friendzoning people, even if unintentionally, from then on you shall be friendzoned forever. Karma is a ."

Hyewon tried to process the concept she has just got bombarded with but failed miserably. It just went against everything she has believed in.

"Guys- Guys like friendly girls. I mean, if you're rude to them, they won't like you. It's a general and logical rule that if you're rude to people they won't like you."

"That preconception had died when House M.D. came out." Chaeyeon shook her head and reached for one diagram. "See this? Males admitted several times they like kind, friendly girls but undeniably attracted to girls with a little mystery around them, something screaming a challenge."

"You've not a second ago said that their fighting spirit vanishes into thin air when it comes to courting a girl."

"I've said when it comes to courting a girl when he's already friendzoned. The friendzone cannot be fought. Once you're there, there's no way out."

"Isn't it a little late for me then?" Hyewon sighed frustrated. "I don't know, Chae. This sound a little overcomplicated for me... And once again, I don't want a relationship as of right now. I'm not going to stop befriending anybody just because they're genetically a male, therefore has the possibility to become a love interest for me in the future."

Chaeyeon made a sound equivalent to a tired growl.

"You still don't get it... but you know what? I don't blame you. You're a natural friender."

"Friender is not a word."

"Thanks for the notice, Literature major. My point is still standing though. You need time to figure that out on your own... not without a little help at least." Chaeyeon broke into a grin foreshadowing nothing good. "Let me show you the dating bingo I've made for you."

Before Hyewon could question, there was already an indeed bingo-like paper on the table. It had a disgustingly pink background with simple black numbers printed on in distinctive squares, in a totally random order. 99, 21, 00, 1...

"It works like the original bingo. You win once you've crossed all the numbers. The price is you gaining precious dating experience of course. Or a potential boyfriend. Both outcomes are awesome if you ask me."

"Will you randomly call them out for me or do I have to draw from a raffle drum?"

Hyewon asked jokingly but Chaeyeon took it as a sign of approval and responded to it seriously.

"It's way easier than that. You choose a number whatever way you want, send me that number and I'll give you a place and time. Once you've asked for a number, you have to show up that place and go on a date with the guy belonging to those certain digits."

Hyewon let out a snort.

"Ya, Park Chaeyeon, this is not a game. As cliché as it sounds, love is not a game. I won't sign up for this so I can play with other people's feelings."

"It's not like they haven't agreed to it." Chaeyeon rolled her eyes. "And I'm not setting you up with random guys from my Recommended list on Facebook. These are all high quality, both in appearance and intelligence, not to mention -"

"Oh my God, stop, you're speaking like a teleshopping host!" Hyewon tried to rebuke her friend seriously but ended up snickering because of the stupid presentation. "You're also objectifying men. That's not right. This is crazy. Probably illegal!"

"As long as I'm not building a business around it, it should be fine."

"You're shameless."

"I've been said worse. And you're not convincing enough... This is a brilliant idea, Hyewon. Your only chance at practicing dating without going on awkward dates with random guys thanks to loveiswithinyourreach.com. You might find true love in one of them. I'm not kidding. I would go on a date with any of these guys without asking twice."

Hyewon glanced at the numbers half-heartedly.

"Why don't you do then? Or have you been with them before, that's the case? I knew something is fishy about this. You're not trying to recycle your exes with me, are you?"

"I wouldn't let my cat's hedgehog toy near to my exes. You're more than safe... And recycling? Now who's objectifying men?" Chaeyeon pointed out before looking her friend straight in the eye. "Remember that I do this for you. As a favor. My goal is to get you a date before you get stuck with the friendzone-curse and won't be able to get a boyfriend or get The One to be your boyfriend if later on you gather romantic feelings towards anybody. You hear me? I'm not the bad guy here. I'm your Fairy Godmother. Be a good Princess and accept the help offered, please."

They kept eye-contact for a while. Hyewon was supposed to look as menacing and determined as she was about this ridiculous plan but at the end failed miserably because damn it. Parks and their strong will.

"I'll think about it."

"Yay!" Chaeyeon cheered, lifting her hands up in the air with a bright smile. "You won't regret it."

"Don't take this as a yes." Hyewon reminded her friend while helping her putting everything perfectly researched back to its holder. "I'm just saying I actually try taking seriously this crazy belief of yours because you're my friend and you haven't let me down before... saved for a few cases."

"Please don't be this honest on a date. The subjects will run away faster than you can comprehend."

"Chaeyeon -"

"I know, I know. Come, I'll buy you cheesecake to help you thinking."

"You can't bribe me."

Chaeyeon stopped in her movements to give the other a puppy look.

"I'm just trying to be the friend you mentioned."

Hyewon couldn't help but pat her head at the adorable sight.

"Yes, of course."

 

 

 

Hyewon yelped in pain as she successfully tripped on something forgotten on the floor. For her luck she could grasp a chair close by and didn't have to suffer the injury of landing on her with a guitar hitting her in the head. That would have left a mark.

The something on the floor was a neon pink highlighter pen. The owner of it, Saemi, startled at the noise and pulled herself up to sit cross-legged on the floor.

"Are you okay?"

"Safe and sound. You have a test tomorrow?"

"Chemistry... I highlight the parts I don't understand so Jung-Jung can explain them to me when she gets back from her lecture." Saemi responded referring to Jungha with the sweet nickname all of them hated wholeheartedly. Because yep, they all had one. "Where are you going? Picking up Yeon-Yeon from Sociology?"

Since her roommate failed to notice it yet, Hyewon cautiously pulled the guitar case behind her back. Saemi could be quite oblivious sometimes. Maybe she can slip outside without getting asked about it.

"I'm heading to the library actually. I might pick her later up though. We haven't talked about it."

"I think she'd appreciate it if you surprised her!" Saemi exclaimed excited, flinging a bunch of papers away in the process. "Oops."

Hyewon collected them with a chuckle before standing up.

"Don't wait for us with dinner. Fighting!"

"I'll do my best! Have a good study time Won-Won~"

Hyewon walked down to the hall feeling a tad bit of guilt. It's not like she was lying. She did intend to go to the library... No. Whatever we look at it, she's not telling the truth. But what else she could do? She had made a promise. And after that silly curse had come up, it's now recommended not to spill where, what and most importantly who she spends Tuesday and Friday nights with.

At the entrance of the library building a tall, grey figure was standing with a guitar case on his back as well. When he caught glimpse of the girl going towards him, he turned that way and put a beaming smile on his face.

"Hi."

"Hi." Hyewon welcomed the owner of the deep voice happily before frowning displeased. "What's with the hoodie? It had stopped raining, Chanyeol."

The guy pulled the hoodie down to reveal messy, black locks and a rather pale and tired face.

Hyewon got the message and pulled the garment back over his head herself. She had to tiptoe to reach up Chanyeol's towering height to do so but she was used to it.

"Oh my God. Have you been sleeping at all?"

"Not much."

"I take that as nothing."

"I doze off from time to time, unfortunately. I should really write more." Chanyeol said before muffling a yawn with the sleeve of his sweater. "Let's go, button."

Hyewon followed him, regardless of the irking nickname and worry pulling at her gut.

"We can postpone the lesson. Go and have some sleep, instead of messing with me and my awful strumming."

"Your strumming is indeed awful so no, you cannot miss a lesson. Not to mention, I'd only work more if you left me with free time." Chanyeol explained unfazed while putting his hands in the pockets of his sweater.

"You're a workaholic, aren't you?"

In Hyewon's opinion, it was too soon for the other to start working for the commercial company when he hasn't finished his studies yet. Sure Chanyeol was doing exceptionally well and was praised for being creative in Composition but doing two things at once well is nowhere that easy. However Chanyeol also is stubborn as hell and tends to go borderline masochistic if work demands. He wouldn't stop just because someone said so. Therefore Hyewon only made some comments here and there and didn't get involved further.

Chanyeol opened the door of the male dormitory in front of the girl with a smirk.

"Pot calling the kettle black. I haven't seen you lazing around once either."

"Even if I wanted, I couldn't do so." She said stepping into the building. "Your sister doesn't let me breathe."

"What did she do this time?"

Hyewon kept silent until Chanyeol opened the door of the room. She kind of regretted bringing it up because Chaeyeon had made her swear that even if she opposes to the idea, she shouldn't tell anyone about it. Letting her own brother know would bring death upon Hyewon if Chaeyeon knew certainly.

"You're hesitating." The guy pointed out when they entered the room and get rid of their shoes. "I guess she did something really bad."

"It's not that bad. I'm just confused about it."

"Oh. That's different."

Hyewon sat down on the bed belonging to Chanyeol (even if she wanted to sit somewhere she couldn't because the three other beds were too messy to risk her health) and pulled her guitar in her lap, idly strumming some strings.

"Tell me, Chanyeol, am I friendzoning people?"

It must have been nothing Chanyeol expected her to say because for a few seconds he looked utter shocked (and funny with the guitar pick hanging from between his lips) then he settled for a snort.

"Jesus."

"It's stupid, isn't it? I mean, I am friendly. But that's good, right?" Hyewon pressed, pleased with Chanyeol's sympathetic reaction. "I don't intend to shut down people's interest. There isn't one person who's interested in me like that, for that matter. Yet your sister says karma is coming for me and I should get myself together and get a date."

There, she said it. Well, not everything so it should be fine. Chanyeol and Chaeyeon are related by blood and have an overall good older brother-younger sister relationship but fortunately they're not the type to discuss everything with each other. Especially topics such as love life.

"She's not in the position to decide whether you should date or not."

"I know, right?"

"However I believe she's being unbearable for a reason. Something must have triggered her." Chanyeol continued before sending her a curious glance from behind his table he was sitting at. "Did you and that dancer kid break up?"

Hyewon's answer was plopping down face planted on the bed with a tired groan.

"No, not you too!"

Chanyeol chuckled at the reaction.

"What? You two have been all over each other lately. Fortunately I haven't been there to witness it but I've heard enough from common friends. Don't tell me that was for fun."

"Your common friends are a bit behind. Jongin is in a relationship."

"With you?"

Hyewon looked up with a menacing look.

"Chanyeol, please. Jongin and I are friends. Have never been more- Argh, why do I even have to explain?!"

The older boy left his notes at the table and opted to sit on the floor instead, close to the girl's face resting on the pillow.

"I kinda understand now why my little sister keeps ing you."

"You're on her side now?"

"I'm not taking sides. Hell I'm glad I'm not involved in it." Chanyeol admitted with a grin before switching to a gentler tone. "Honestly, all what matters is that you have to do what you want. If you feel like you could... use some dating, do it. If not, stay away from it. Don't force yourself to behave the way it's expected from you. But don't rule out opportunities either just because you're not used to them."

Hyewon her side so they can be face to face.

"You're contradicting yourself."

".. I'm not."

"You are. You're telling me to date and not to date at the same time. Come clear with me, please."

Chanyeol looked into her eyes briefly before clearing his throat and reaching for his guitar.

"I-I'm supposed to be your music teacher, not your love guru. Follow your heart or head I don't -"

He was interrupted in his saying by the loud ringtone of his phone. The device was lying on the bed, next to Hyewon's hip so she reached for it and gave it to the owner. She was especially quick in her movements since she saw the name displayed on the screen - 'Jinri'.

Chanyeol wasn't that eager by the sudden call. Actually he let it ring for a while then hang up without speaking into the speaker.

"Ya, that was rude."

"I'm holding a lesson. I'm busy at the moment."

Hyewon sighed and sat up.

"I shouldn't have asked you for advice. If that's how you're treating girls, you don't know a lot about dating."

"You don't know a lot about me, in the first place." Chanyeol retorted quietly. "Now, grab your instrument and show me what you have progressed."

The next hour or so went away with Hyewon trying to follow the notes written on the sheet in front of her with Chanyeol occasionally playing along on his own guitar slash correcting her mistakes. Sometimes they would fight but usually it was nothing serious. They've shared a common passion in music (among other things) and that was more than enough to fit seamlessly together.

"Your upper hand is too rigid. If you loosen up, you can move your fingers better."

"Yes." Hyewon did as she was instructed and smiled proudly when she could play the following row without mistakes. "Have you heard that?"

"I'm sitting next to you. Of course I have." Chanyeol answered with a smirk playing on his lips. The next moment the girl's fingers slipped and resulted in a few false notes sounding in the room. "Too bad I hear everything."

She bit her lip in embarrassment.

"I can't get that right. I've tried at home but haven’t succeeded once."

"I'll show you. Make place."

Hyewon scooted over a bit so Chanyeol can sit next to her. When he did, she reached the guitar out for him but the guy sat closer instead and putting an arm around her shoulder settled slightly behind her.

"It's easier this way... Now, the mistake you commit is that you tend to do extra moves. Like to go from that chord to that, for example, it's unnecessary to lift your hand that much -"

She listened to her without a word and followed with her eyes how Chanyeol's fingers positioned hers the right way on the head of the guitar while his right hand covered hers on the body of it. He explained everything slowly and meticulously like always. Hyewon has always thought he's a great teacher and is going to be a great musician... but at the moment she felt impatient.

After some time her right hand stopped strumming the strings and went limp in the other's hold. Her hand attempting to do the chords became even more rigid and tended to slip from time to time, especially when Chanyeol repositioned her fingers or pressed on a chord together with her.

It wasn't that hot in the room but at once Hyewon had slightly harder time breathing and her sweater felt too warm.

"You're doing the opposite of what I'm telling you." Chanyeol noticed the change after a while. Instead of moving away though, he leaned in more, to rest his head on the girl's shoulder and looking up to her from there. "Or are you zoning out? Should we have a break?"

Hyewon gasped at the proximity of their faces and quickly turned to the other direction.

"No, I'm fine. Sorry. It's just... really hard."

"I purposely gave you a piece twice as hard as the last one, to see what you can do with it. I'm the one who has to say sorry. It was too soon."

"Isn't it just me being a lazy student?" Hyewon smiled at the apology, forgetting about her weird feelings. This was Chanyeol after all. She can't let Chaeyeon's words get to her head.

She lost some of her confidence, however, when Chanyeol suddenly lifted his hands higher and engulfed her in a loose backhug, leaving the instrument in her lap.

"You never give up and try your hardest. That's what I like about you... as a student. You're not a bad student, Hyewon-a. Don't let yourself think that."

At that moment, Hyewon felt like she suddenly has become clear with everything. For the rest of the lesson she paid attention and concentrated solely on the task she was given.

On the way home she felt dizzy and more confused, if possible, but kind of sure at the same time. She took the route leading back to the university and grabbed her phone.

"Park Chaeyeon, for your pleasure."

"I'm in."

"Hyewon?"

Hyewon calmed her heart and started again.

"You're still at the Sociology building, right? I'll pick you up... and we talk after dinner."

Chaeyeon, understandingly, became cautious at the intimidation in her friend's voice. She thought she's about to face punishment again when it was actually the opposite.

"Everything is okay? Did I do something wrong again? If it's the bingo then you know what forget -"

"It is that... but don't be afraid. I'll do it."

 

 

 


 

Put your hands up if you expected Hyewon accepting the bingo - yes, I know, duh, that's the point of the story. Easy.
Put your hands up if you expected Chanyeol pop up from nothing - I know, right? Surprise~ He's going to be an important character and you'll see him a lot. Even though Hyewon is going to go on dates with a bunch of hot guys. Yep it's going to be awkward and trouble but that's the point of a story. Conflict. Otherwise we both would be bored to death, me writing and you reading it. :D

Put your hands up if you know the reason why Hyewon suddenly decided to accept the bingo- NO. You know what? Write it down in a comment instead. I'm really curious what your theory is. If you have one, don't hesitate to tell it to me... I'm also fishing for some words about the story, the plot or just some words like yo-go-girl-continue slash wtf-stop-it-no. Yep, I'm desperate for feedback. My mind is hungry, guys, help me. OTL

Overall hope you enjoyed this chapter (as well). First date coming next, get ready~

Have a wonderful day!

sophie94