The Loving Santa : First Snow, First Kiss

My Dearest Santa
Yoseob Oppa,” the familiar voice calls me when I’m gazing at the sky, tucking my hands in my pockets. I turn around to see a girl with long black hair approaches me. “I’m sorry, I’m late.”
 
“It’s alright, Min,” I smile to her and notice that she looks really beautiful. No wonder my friends were really jealous of me when I told them she asked me for a date on Christmas Eve. She is indeed naturally beautiful.
 
“I’m sorry for being really bold to ask you for accompanying me tonight,” she bites her bottom lip nervously. “If you have another appointment later, it’s alright. Just tell me, Oppa.”
 
Not only beautiful, she is also a really understanding and polite girl. How can such a perfect girl like her even exists? She is like an angel on the world.
 
“Min, can I ask you something?” I blurt out when we are waiting for our orders in a restaurant. She looks up at me, tilting her head with clueless expression. “Why did you ask me? Why didn’t you ask Daniel?”
 
Daniel is one of my best friends and he is voted as the most handsome student in our university. He is a real gentleman and there is almost no one who can dislike him because he is perfect in almost every aspects. Min has been rumored to him for numerous times just because they look compatible together.
 
Min drops her gaze and murmurs vividly, “I’m sorry if you’re feeling uncomfortable when you’re with me, Oppa...”
 
“No, no, it’s not that,” I quickly explain to her. “I’m just wondering why you asked me and not him. I’m sorry, Min, I didn’t mean to-“
 
I stop when I see her flushed pink cheeks. I raise my eyebrow and speak out my thought, “Do you like Daniel?”
 
Min nods slowly and I let out a chuckle because of her honest confession, “It’s a good thing that I don’t think you’re in love with me, Min. Are you trying to find out about his reaction when you asked me out?”
 
She nods again, still not having any courage to look at me. I reach out my hand to pat her, trying to comfort her, “It’s alright. I’m not mad at you. Actually Daniel is a little bit upset when I told him that I agreed to have a date with you.”
 
Min looks up with disbelief look and I continue, “He is going to perform on a new cafe tomorrow so he is going to have a rehearsal tonight. Do you want me to show you where the place is?”
 
“Yes!” Min answers with excitement. She covers , realizing that she is exaggerating her reaction. I laugh and tell her that it’s alright because I’m going to help her.
 
After having the dinner where Min talks about the reason why she falls for Daniel, I walk her to the new cafe where Daniel is going to perform tomorrow night. Both Daniel and I are majoring in Vocal Performance since we have the same dream; we want to be singers.
 
“There he is,” I whisper to Min when I find Daniel is talking to a girl with petite figure who is sitting behind the musical keyboard on the stage. I think they are discussing about the song they are going to rehearse.
 
“Yoseob? Min?” Daniel notices our presence. The girl next to him also looks at us. Daniel approaches us and I give him a wide grin but his eyes are locked on Min, “Don’t you two have a date tonight?”
 
I was going to answer his question but I stop when I hear the melodies echo in the cafe. The girl is playing a song with the keyboard and I focus to hear the song, ignoring Daniel for moments.
 
“This song...,” I murmur, closing my eyes to remember the notes. I know this song. I’ve heard this song before.
 
Three years ago, after I celebrated my birthday with my friends, I was on my way back home when I found a girl standing alone under a tree. Due to my curiosity, I approached her and asked her what she was doing alone. She told me that she was waiting for the snow to fall.
 
She was wearing black thick-rimmed glasses and her hair was a mess. I remember that it’s already 9 PM that night and I didn’t think it’s a good idea to leave her alone. I told her that I would wait for the snow with her until midnight.
 
However the snow didn’t fall that night. With disappointment on her face, she left without even telling me her name. I found a sheet of paper, crumpled on the ground where she stood before. It was half-finished song and she wrote it by herself.
 
That’s how I found her name: Seri.
 
I tried the musical notes once I arrived home and the song I’m listening right now is exactly the same with the musical notes I found three years ago. I open my eyes when the song has stopped.
 
The girl has disappeared.
 
 
❇❇❇❇❇


Min is intertwining her fingers, waiting for Daniel’s turn to perform. He will sing his song in fifteen minutes but I still haven’t found the girl who I believe is Seri, the girl I met three years ago.
 
Yesterday she had left because her friend had picked her to attend a Christmas Eve’s party. Daniel told me that she is the daughter of the cafe owner and her name is Seri. She is majoring in Composition Department at Japan and she has returned to Seoul to continue her course.
 
I want to see her. I want to make sure that she is Seri who I met three years ago.
 
Because the song she composed is the reason why I want to become a singer. The beautiful notes she created makes me want to sing it one day.
 
“Merry Christmas, everyone,” Daniel bows to the audiences when he has finished his performance. He takes a seat next to Min after that and turns to me, “Are you still looking for Seri?”
 
I don’t bother to answer him because the girl I’m looking for just step on the stage. She introduces herself with a sweet smile on her face, “Good night, everyone. My name is Seri and I’m going to sing a song for all of you tonight. “
 
“I wrote this song by myself three years ago but I couldn’t finish it until I met someone. I was waiting for the snow when he came. I don’t know who his name is but I always call him ‘the loving santa’ because his smile is full of love,” Seri explains shyly and my heart skips a beat. “I think he is my first love.”
 
I can feel my cheeks start to blush but then Seri hasn’t finished yet, “My Christmas wish is I want to see him once again. Wherever he is.”
 
She bows to the audiences before she starts to sing the song beautifully by playing the musical keyboard. Firstly she whispers with her sweet voice towards the microphone,
 
“This song is dedicated to you
My first love
My one and only
You will always be my baby
This is a song for you, and
Merry Christmas”
 
I hold my breath when she starts singing the song with the lyrics I haven’t known yet.
 
“The person who waited for the first snow to fall
The person who believed that happiness will come
Will you come after this night
Will love come to me
The person who waited the long, long night unable to sleep”
 
Yes, she is the one who I’ve been searching for.
 
She is the reason I want to become a singer.
 
 
❇❇❇❇❇


“Seri?” I call her and she turns to look at me, stopping her steps. She just locked the cafe and parted her way with her father because she said she wants to go somewhere alone.
 
I followed her until she reached the park where I met her for the first time. She leaned her back againts the tree, gazing at the night sky.
 
“Yes?” she nods slightly as a polite gesture. She tucks her hair behind her ear and frowns, “Can I help you?”
 
She must has not recognized me since I dyed my hair blonde and wore glasses three years ago. I smile bashfully, “It’s still Christmas so...”
 
I clear my throat nervously and smile shyly to her, “...can this loving santa fulfill your wish?”
 
Her eyes widen in surprise. Seri covers with her right hand but I can see her smiling as she murmurs, “You... I can’t believe it... You’re here...”
 
“My name is Yang Yoseob,” I introduce myself properly this time. “I listened to your song just now. It’s beautiful.”
 
Her cheeks turn into pink shades and I find it’s quite cute. She keeps smiling though, putting both of her hands near her lips, “Thanks God. My Christmas wish comes true...”
 
Suddenly snow starts to fall down. Both of us look up and smile because the white snow is falling to the ground. I look at her and then take one of her hands and kiss it, ignoring how uncontrollable my heart is right now.
 
I’ve found her.
 
The girl who inspired me to sing beautiful songs.
 
She is going to know that she is also my first love.
 
“Your loving santa is here.”