The Charming Santa : All I Want For Christmas is You

My Dearest Santa
Doojoon rubs his temple and heaves a sigh, leaning his back against the sofa. He takes a glance at his phone but there is no new notification on the screen; he is hoping for at least a new text message but looks like it’s only a wishful thinking.

Aejun,” Doojoon murmurs to himself, “I miss you.”

All of a sudden, his phone rings; he just received a new text message. Without waiting for another second, Doojoon quickly reads the message but he is disappointed to find Kim Junsu, his best friend who also belongs in the same club of soccer with him, is the one who sent him the text message.

Junsu informed him that there will be a friendly match between their soccer club and a soccer club from an university tomorrow afternoon. Junsu asked every member of the club to attend the match despite the fact that tomorrow is actually Christmas Day.

It’s not that Doojoon doesn’t want to play soccer with his friends. Being a professional soccer player, he will be more than just happy to spread the joy by playing soccer.

It’s not also because Doojoon thinks that Christmas is a holiday for everyone. He will celebrate Christmas with his family at night but, if he really needs to attend the match, at least he wants her to come and watch him play.

Once again Doojoon sighs and types the reply to Junsu, telling him that he will be there on time. It’s not like he has another thing to do since there is no possibility of Aejun to contact him today. He can only hope that she will call him soon.

Soon is a really unpredictable moment for Doojoon because within the next fifteen minutes when he is going to throw himself on bed, Aejun’s name appears on his phone screen; she calls him, not only a short text message.

A wide smile forms on his lips and he quickly picks up the phone with excitement, “Yoboseyo? Aejun? Are you free now?”

“Of course I’m not free, Doojoon,” Aejun chuckles at his excited reaction as she is watching the customers of her shop in the queue line, waiting to pay their Christmas presents to give away for their beloved persons. “I have ten minutes break time and I think I must tell you something since you asked me about what I will do for Christmas three days ago, right?”

His heart skips a beat because he wants to know what her answer is. He holds his breath for seconds, assuring himself that he still can do the plan after the match... if only Aejun comes to watch him play though.

“I need to help my mother for the shop tomorrow,” Aejun answers calmly, smiling to the customers politely while her mother is talking to some customers with welcoming smile. “Today is very busy and my mother thinks there will be customers who can’t make it for today. We want to open the shop for them who need the Christmas presents tomorrow.”

The answer makes Doojoon freeze on his stand. Now his plan is a total failure and he knows that nothing will change Aejun’s mind when she has determined to do something. Doojoon knows her good enough to understand how stubborn she is when it comes to work.

“Ah, Doojoon, is there anything you want for Christmas?” Aejun asks him while she walks to check the stock for the gift wrap. “Let’s meet up together with the others on Monday. What do you think about it?”

“I’ll think about it,” Doojoon answers her weakly, not feeling happy at all. “Just take care of yourself, okay? Don’t work too hard, Aejun.”

“I know, I know,” Aejun smiles, thinking about how exaggerating Doojoon is but she is happy to know that Doojoon is worrying about her. “I need to go now. I’ll call you again later. Happy Christmas Eve, Doojoon.”

Aejun cuts off the conversation line even before Doojoon can reply her greeting. Doojoon drops his gaze, messing his own hair with frustration. He steps in his room and reaches out to take a small jewelry box he put in a shelf.

“Aejun...,” Doojoon opens the jewelry box, staring at the beautiful silver bracelet inside. “I like you. Will you become my girlfriend?”

He has been rehearsing the line for numerous times just to prepare himself not to be speechless when he meets Aejun face-to-face. He planned to confess his feeling to Aejun, the girl who has captured his heart since two years ago, since their college days, since they spent most of their times together.

He waits for two years just to make sure that he can make Aejun happy. He managed to become a professional soccer player, just like what he promised Aejun before. He rejected girls’ confession because he wants Aejun to be sure that he is a loyal man, just like what Aejun’s ideal type is.

Doojoon wants to confess on Christmas day since it’s the day when he realized that he fell in love with Aejun two years ago. They were celebrating Christmas with their friends and Aejun gave him a sweater even though Doojoon didn’t give her anything. Aejun told him that he’s a really important friend for her.

However Aejun never showed any sign that she returns his feeling. After they graduated from college one year ago, they still keep in touch but Aejun is busy helping her mother with their gift shop. She is a calm and lovely girl who really loves her family and helping her mother is her priority in life.

Not to mention that she is a workaholic who will not complaint even if she needs to work for twenty four hours non stop if she needs to do it, there is no chance for Doojoon to ask her to come and watch his match tomorrow. As much as he wants to spend the Christmas day with Aejun, he can’t force Aejun to meet him and leave her mother to take care of their shop.

“Happy Christmas Eve, Aejun...,” Doojoon closes the jewelry box and tries to take a good rest, waiting for the call Aejun will give to him at night.

 
 
❇❇❇❇❇


“Yah, Yoon Doojoon,” Junsu snaps him back to his senses by throwing a ball to him. “Earth to you. We’re going to start the match in fifteen minutes.”

“Ah, I know,” Doojoon replies but he sweeps the audience seats with his eyes, hoping that he will see Aejun is sitting on one of the seats, watching him to play today. He has told her that he has a match to attend so he can’t visit her at the shop but Aejun only gave him a ‘good luck’ wish.

When the match starts and the whistle is blew, Aejun just takes an empty seat at the side of the indoor field. When she told her mother that Doojoon couldn’t come because he has a match, her mother insisted that Aejun must went to cheer him for today’s match. Her mother has treated Doojoon like he is her real son since she doesn’t have one; Aejun is her only child.

At first Aejun was hesitating but when she remembered that Doojoon didn’t sound really good on the phone yesterday, Aejun finally decided to come and watch his match. Doojoon doesn’t realize her presence and he keeps playing with his best, still being the professional soccer player even though it’s only a friendly match.

Aejun never moves her eyes from Doojoon; she can’t take her eyes off of him because Doojoon looks really charming when he defends the ball, when he tries to snatch the ball from his opponent team, and when he smiles after making a goal.

Her lips form into a curve when the match finally ends with 3-1 for Doojoon’s soccer club. Doojoon hugs Junsu, congratulating themselves before they also shake hands with the other club, thanking them for the good match. While Doojoon changes his clothes, Aejun waits for him at the door, tucking her hands inside of the coat because of the cold weather.

Aejun takes her phone out and calls Doojoon, feeling like it’s a good time to . Doojoon picks the call, surprised to see Aejun’s name as the caller.

“It’s a good game, Doojoon,” Aejun mutters with a smile. “I really think that you deserve a special Christmas present.”

Doojoon blinks in confusion, wondering why she can tell that it’s a good game, “You watched the match? Yah, Aejun, where are you? Are you still around?”

“I’m outside,” Aejun answers, gazing at the afternoon sky. “I think I’m going back now so-“

Doojoon doesn’t give Aejun a chance to finish her words. The moment he heard ‘outside’ word, he storms out from the changing room, heading out from the building to find the girl he really wants to see today. He finds her standing alone, staring at her phone with confused look.

“Ah, Doojoon, I-“ Aejun is trying to ask him why he cut off the conversation all of a sudden but she stops when Doojoon pulls her into a hug. He buries his face in her hair, making her to blush madly, “Y-Yah! Y-Yoon Doojoon, what is it?”

Doojoon doesn’t answer her. He misses her. He wants her to know how happy he is to see her right here, rigt now. He wants to tell her that there is nothing he wish for other than her presence with him on Christmas day.

“You asked me about what kind of present I want for Christmas, right?” Doojoon loosens his hug and looks at Aejun, ignoring how fast his heart is beating. “You are the only one who can give me the present, Aejun.”

“Eh?” Aejun blinks, not believing what she just heard. She can’t control her rapid heartbeat anymore when Doojoon kisses her forehead gently.

“All I want for Christmas is you,” Doojoon gives her his charming smile.

He doesn’t even bother about his plan about giving her a bracelet; he can give it later. All he wants to do now is just to make Aejun realize about his feeling, about his love for her.

Aejun clutches his shirt and then buries her face on his chest as she smiles shyly, “I’ve been waiting for you to say that for two years... Finally, you’ve said it...”

This time it’s Doojoon’s turn to be surprised by her statement. He never expected Aejun to fall for him first; she has fallen for her even before he fell in love with her. The sweater she gave for him two years ago on Christmas day is the first gift she ever gave to a man, a sign that Doojoon is really special for her.

She never said a thing because Doojoon’s charm can captivate many girls and she was unsure if she deserved to be with Doojoon. She kept silence, hoping that one day Doojoon would realize her feeling.

And today, he finally did.

“Now it’s my turn to ask you then,” Doojoon caresses her cheek with his thumb. “Do you have any wish for Christmas, young lady?”

“I want someone to help me with the shop,” Aejun answers with a serious expression. “Today is really busy and I left the shop to watch someone. I need to return now to the shop, you know.”

Doojoon opens his mouth but no word leaves his lips. He is speechless because he feels that Aejun is cornering her somehow. He wants to apologize but then Aejun puts her index finger on his lips with a shy smile, “I want someone I love to be with me on Christmas.”

“You make my wish come true,” Aejun mumbles as Doojoon rests his forehead on hers.

“Thank you, my charming santa.”