The Plan - Step 1

Mars Versus Venus

The Plan – Step 1

 

Step 1: Be a man and make her ask you for a date and not you asking for a date

 

Song Jae Rim stared confusedly at the first item on the list. He is with his friends for the “OPERATION MAKE SJL THE ONE WEARING THE PANTS”, as they called it, meeting.

 

“What does this even mean?” Jae Rim asked bewildered. “Have So Eun ask me for a date? Are you dreaming? Didn’t you know how sassy that girl is?” He said while imagining the backlash of this plan he knew would happen.

 

“Exactly.” Joo Wan had nodded all-knowingly. “Among Yoo Jin, Bo Ah, Dara and So Eun, So Eun is the sassiest and the most savage of them all. She has this chic personality and a strong aura emitting around her that she is the most likely to be the most difficult to be tamed. Ha! Even Bo Ah who seemed to be the most gentle among them is no joke when it comes to controlling and nagging me. I do have some pride, you know, but just one glare from her…” He stopped midway to think about it and shivered. “I don’t even want to think about it.”

 

“I tell you, Jae Rim. This is for your own good. You need to show So Eun that you will be the one to lead the relationship.” Il Woo said.

 

Jae Rim shook his head. “I don’t get the big deal. I mean shouldn’t it be the couple who would lead the relationship? Both of them? There shouldn’t be any upper or lower hand.”

 

“We know that, dude. But that is all concept.” Sang Yoon said. “But when you are already in the situation… you would notice that there is someone who always, ALWAYS have the final say and upper hand.”

 

“And that will always be the Girls.” The three of them said in unison.

 

~

 

Jae Rim knew it is rude to stare but he can’t help it. He had already finished his scenes for the day but he decided to wait for the object of his affection, Kim So Eun, to finish hers. He can feel the teasing stares of the staff, crew and directors as he watched her religiously. But he doesn’t care anymore. He gave up concealing his feelings since it seemed that it has been futile given the fact that it has been obvious for all.

 

He took note of her every move, the way she is in character when the camera is rolling and will be back to her normal happy and beautiful self once the camera stops.

 

“Okay, that’s a wrap.” Jae Rim heard the main director shouted and he took in the sight of So Eun’s smile as she heard it. Pleasantries has been exchanged to all the actors, staff and crew for the job well done. He is still watching her when So Eun looked at his way and smiled.

 

‘Damn, she caught me staring. Couldn’t you be any more obvious?’ He berated himself. He cursed more as he found himself grinning so wide at her.

 

“Oppa. Why are you still here? I thought your scenes are done?”

 

Act cool and cold. That is what was written on his ‘to-dos’.  Yeah right. So much for that. Didn’t he just grinned like a lovesick puppy earlier at her?

 

He cleared his throat. “Ah yes. I’ve finished earlier. But I stayed hoping to find some acting tips from the sunbaenims so I stayed and watched.”

 

“Always the detailed Song you are.” So Eun smiled.

 

Drop a hint that would lead her to asking you out on a date. “So… yeah. I guess I better go ahead. I haven’t had dinner so I might as well grab some food.”

 

“Omo! You haven’t had dinner? You should have grab some food while watching the sunbaenims.”

 

“Nah, it is okay. No big deal. So, I better go so that I can have dinner. All alone.” He groaned inwardly hearing how pathetic he seemed to be.

 

So Eun contemplated and bit her lip. She is as if she is on deliberation mode. Jae Rim hoped that she is thinking of asking her then smiled. “I also haven’t had any dinner… so…”

 

Suddenly both of their phones started ringing. They both excused themselves and Jae Rim almost cursed seeing Joo Wan’s name.

 

“What?” He hissed.

 

“Woah… what’s with you?”

 

“Never mind that. Why are you calling?”

 

“Well I just want to ask how is it? Did she already asked you out?”

 

“Almost… if you haven’t ruined it and called me.”

 

“Oh.. okay. I’ll hang up now. Good luck!”

 

Jae Rim shook his head at the ridiculousness of his friends. He shook his head more knowing how ridiculous he is as well listening to them. He saw So Eun finished her phone call and before any more distraction comes he approached her.

 

“So Eunnie… what were you saying…”
 

“Oppa, I have to go.”

 

He stopped on his tracks… wait… “What?”

 

So Eun looked apologetic. “Bo Ah had asked me if I can come over to her house now. She saw a recipe online and she had made it for Joo Wan Oppa. She wanted us to taste it first.” She smiled wistfully. “You know how she is. She want to always feed good food to Joo Wan Oppa, while us, her friends, would be the Guinea pig.”

 

Jae Rim suddenly thought of how Joo Wan would have a satisfied smile on his face and would proudly tell them how great Bo Ah is as a cook. He wonders if So Eun would also feed him good food? He knows that she isn’t as great cook as Bo Ah… but just the thought of her spending some time to research recipes for him and him alone gives him a good feeling. He imagines So Eun as she moves around the kitchen, constantly checking her notepad for the instruction she jotted, and then having a taste little by little. Then he imagine him going home with a full table, So Eun smiling brightly and…

 

“Oppa? OPPA!”

 

He was brought back to reality as So Eun waved her hands in front of his face.

 

“You are spacing out, Oppa. Are you okay?”

 

He coughed a little and smiled shyly. ‘Damn… great going Song Jae Rim. You are getting way ahead of yourself.’ He chided himself.

 

“I’m okay. Guess I am just too hungry.”

 

“Ah… you really have to grab some dinner.” She looked at her watch. “Well… Oppa, I better get going. Knowing how impatient Bo Ah is. So… I see you tomorrow?”

 

“Tomorrow?” His heart is racing… is she asking him out?

 

“Yes. We do have a scheduled filming tomorrow, right?”

 

Right. He sighed.  “Ah, yes right.”

 

So Eun smiled at him that all-so-gorgeous smile and she leaned in to kiss him on the cheek. It isn’t new to them… the goodbye kiss on the cheek. And every time, his heart will flutter. And as if on slow motion, she smiled at him, waved her hands and turned around. Her petite figure is slowly walking away from him.

 

‘Damn it. If not today, when?’ He asked himself. He saw her walk away and she turned her head towards him and smiled shyly.

 

Be a man and make her ask you for a date and not you asking for a date? What kind of notion is that? If he wants to be a man… he should be the one to ask for a date!
 

“So Eun-ah!” He chased after her in seconds he is in front of her.

 

He is vaguely aware of the silence that surrounded them. As if the whole world (or on this case, the whole staff and crew) is watching them. But he is too caught up to So Eun’s beautiful face to bother. He doesn’t want to hide anymore and just let it all out.

 

“I’ll see you tomorrow.” He started.

 

“Huh?” So Eun laughed. “Yeah, I said that earlier. We have a filming…”

 

“No. I mean… I see you tomorrow, after the filming.”

 

“Like dinner after filming?”

 

“Yes. Like a date.” He whispered shyly but then muster his courage and look at her eyes and said firmly. “No. Not like a date. But definitely a date. I’m asking you out on a date.”

 

A moment of silence. And then…

 

“Okay.” She said and smiled. “Then, I’ll see you tomorrow.” She repeated and tip-toed to give him a kiss on the cheek; and this time he knows it is not a friendly or a simple goodbye kiss on the cheek.

 

She turned around and was on gone on the set for a few seconds.

 

And whistles and claps are heard from the crew. He looked around and waved shyly at the staff and crew who had witnessed his exchange.

 

Finally! His heart roared in happiness.

 

Step 1 might have failed but he is nowhere near feeling like a loser but instead he feels like he has won a lottery.