The Boys

Mars Versus Venus

Mars Vs. Venus

 

It was one of those boys’ night out. Soft jazz music is at the background, while the boys are drinking beer, playing pool and darts.

 

Normally, Song Jae Rim likes this kind of night as it is very rare for him to see his best buddies due to his packed schedules. But tonight is different, he is in the mood to brood. So he sits quietly on the couch, with a beer on his hand, and been thinking of the particular matter… of a particular girl.

 

“Girls… are complicated.” His musings were interrupted when he heard his buddy, Sang Yoon, complained. All eyes are suddenly at Sang Yoon as he threw the final piece of the dart and swig his beer before settling down to the couch.

 

Sang Yoon sighed and shook his head. “I can’t figure girls sometimes. It is like damn when you do, damn when you don’t.” He continued.

 

“True.” Jae Rim’s head turned over his other buddy, Joo Wan, commented. “And they punish us on something we don’t even know is a taboo! Like, the other day, Bo Ah, has just screamed at me when she saw me eating a piece of chocolate. Ranting how I always don’t help her with her diet. I was like… flabbergasted because the other day she is just munching a whole chocolate cake!”

 

Jae Rim could have laughed but he heard his other friend, Il Woo, sighed. “They are born to torture us. Right now… I can feel Dara eating my brains and cursing me for I did not bring her over here… on our boys’ night out! I was like… what in the statement boys’ night out she doesn’t understand? And when I told her that she didn’t even bring me to their girls’ night out… she screamed at me for being an idiot because why would she bring me when it is supposed to be only for girls. Like duh!”

 

“Girls are really complicated.” Sang Yoon repeated. “I got hit by Yoo Jin last time because I folded our clothes wrongly and she started ranting how I never help on household chores. She is ranting that WHILE I am washing the dishes!”

 

Jae Rim looked at his friends who simultaneously sighed.

 

“So, you must feel relieved, Jae Rim-ah. Not having this kind of problem.” Il Woo said.

 

Jae Rim gulped and he also sighed. “Well… I’ve been thinking…”

 

“Wait a minute… don’t tell… our Mr. Too-Busy-For-Lovelife-Bachelor has been thinking of what we are thinking?” Sang Yoon said.

 

“Well…” His ears and face suddenly felt hot. He knew he is blushing.

 

“Omo… you are blushing! So who is the lucky girl?” Joo Wan asked.

 

“Uh.. aaah! What the heck!” Jae Rim said. He will just blurt it out. “I think I’m in love with Kim So Eunnie..”

 

The three looked at him, slightly stunned. Then all of them suddenly laughed. “Finally!”

 

Jae Rim looked at them in query.

 

Joo Wan smiled. “We’ve already been noticing the way you look at So Eun every time we will have a get together. You have that puppy look every time she is here… like she is holding your favourite toy and waiting for her to give it to you.”

 

Sang Yoon and Il Woo nodded in unison.

 

Jae Rim sighed. He thought that he had been hiding his feelings all too well; but apparently he is still like an open book. He wonders how does So Eun sees him. Does she also knows what his heart is beating?

 

“Ah… the normal JaeRim.” His musings were once again cut short with Joo Wan’s words. “Stop overthinking and it’s about time to take some action! My advice… go for it!”

 

“Yeah, man. Don’t be a wimp and go for the girl!”

 

Jae Rim looked at them puzzled. “Even after your rants?”

 

Sang Yoon nodded. “It is crazy probably most of the time… but coming home to your love is one genuine feeling that you wouldn’t want to trade in the world.”

 

“But… as a precaution… you need to show early on the relationship who wears the pants.”

 

The other two nodded vigorously and with the way they are looking, he is somewhat getting scared.

 

“So… what do you want me to do?”

 

“Don’t worry bro. We got your back. This will be a battle that we might have lost… but we will ensure that you, as the last one to go on the battlefield, will be the winner.”

 

And with that… the operation of the boys to win the battle of Mars versus Venus began.

 

To be continued