Chapter 2

Hatred or love ?

         I felt tired the following day. I hadn't been able to fall asleep as Jin Ae's words hadn't left my mind. I had never thought that she had so much resentment towards me. Actually, I had assumed that her point of view was the same as mine. We had never been close friends but I liked Jin Ae. I enjoyed teasing her, especially because she was younger. I had no idea that she would suffer from it.

          I was still thinking about our argument when I got into the bathroom.

 

"What are you doing ?"

 

          The voice of a girl snapped me out of my thoughts. Reality slowly hit me as I recognized Jin Ae standing in front of me. She was wearing her underwear and tried to hide her body behind her hands. I couldn't walk away. The sight of her gorgeous body line was .

 

"Get out !"

 

          I took a step back as my eyes were still analyzing her features.

 

"Im Jae Bum, get out !"

 

          She yelled again and I realized I had been staring at her. I wasn't even trying to hide. I felt my face redden as I rushed outside. I closed the door and she locked it. My back was leaned against it. I could still picture Jin Ae's marvelous body. She was right. She wasn't a child anymore. She was definitely a woman.

 

          A few minutes later, Jin Young and I were having breakfast when she joined us in the kitchen. She sat down at the table. Something about her seemed different and her brother soon noticed it.

 

"Are you wearing make up ?" he asked.

"Yes I am." she replied. "Why ?"

"Where are you going ?"

"To college."

"Do you need to put make up on to go to school ?" Jin Young teased.

"I want to change." she explained. "From now on, I'll learn how to be pretty."

"You're beautiful already."

"Thank you Oppa."

 

          Her eyes met mine and I smiled at her. She looked at her brother again.

 

"Don't wait for me tonight. I'll be out with some friends." she announced.

"Where ?" Jin Young asked.

"It's a friend's birthday."

"Do I know him ?"

"I don't think so. He's a classmate."

"Can't we come too ?"

"It's impossible Oppa !" she refused. "I'll go with Na Yeon."

"Na Yeon.." Jin Young repeated.

 

          Jin Ae laughed and Jin Young told me a little about Na Yeon. I had never met Jin Ae's best friend but it seemed Jin Young liked her a lot. He had seen her several times. However, he had been a simple relative to her. We talked about her for a while, and then, Jin Ae told us that she had to leave. I sighed as I watched her walking away. Originally, I had wanted to talk to her and to apologize. It seemed like I had to wait a little more. Jin Young was talking to me, but I couldn't focus on his words. Indeed, I was busy thinking of a way to be Jin Ae's friend again.

 

. . .

 

         The day had been tiring because of all of our lectures. When we were ready to go to Yu Gyeom's place, I felt overjoyed. I had been waiting for this party all day long. It was finally the time to forget about the lessons and the exams, I was now focused on having fun. There were many people when we reached his place. Young Jae, one of our friends, was waiting for us in the garden.

 

"Na Yeon ! Jin Ae !" he called us.

"Hi Young Jae !" I greeted him.

"You're handsome !" Na Yeon said.

"Thank you." Young Jae replied. "Let's go."

 

          He gave an arm to each of us and said that it had always been his dream. He wanted to make a remarkable entrance at a party, with two women by his side. There were a lot of people in the house and many were students of our high school. Others were family members or friends of the family. I recognized some people I had talked to in the past, but I didn't go to them. Instead, I stuck to Na Yeon and Young Jae.

          Finally, we spotted Yu Gyeom.

 

"I'm glad you could make it !" he smiled at us.

"Happy birthday Yu Gyeom !" I said as I gave him his present.

"It's from all of us." Na Yeon added.

"What is it ?" he asked.

"Just open it. I'm sure you'll like it !" Young Jae advised.

 

          Yu Gyeom grinned as he opened the little box.

 

"You won't be late again." Na Yeon teased.

"Use it well." Young Jae recommended.

"Right. We won't have to wait for you anymore." I giggled.

 

          He took the watch out of the box in order to put it on.

 

"I really like it. Thank you !" he said. "I'll try to be on time from now on."

"This watch should never leave your wrist." Young Jae ordered.

"It won't." he replied. "Jin Ae Noona, will you dance with me ?"

 

          I smiled at my friends as he guided me to the dance floor. We were followed by Young Jae and Na Yeon. We had a good time dancing as couples, then, we switched partners. Young Jae was a great dancer. After a while, Na Yeon and Yu Gyeom came closer to us and we all danced together.

          We were sitting at the table, having just finished our meal, when a headache ruined my party. I didn't want to dance anymore, actually, I couldn't dance. I was in pain. I asked Na Yeon and the guys to enjoy themselves. I went to the bathroom but it didn't change anything. I had forgotten to bring some medicines. When I got back to our table, Young Jae was sitting there.

 

"Why aren't you dancing ?" I asked.

"I was worried about you." he answered.

"Don't worry Young Jae, just enjoy the night."

"Are you alright ?"

"I'm fine.. I think I need to go out for a moment." I explained.

"You look pale Noona. Don't you want to get some rest ?"

"I'm fine. And Na Yeon is dancing, I don't want to bother her."

 

          Young Jae got up and he took my hand. I followed him to the garden. We sat together on a bench. The cold air helped me feel better. However, the pain wasn't leaving. He tried to get my mind off it with some jokes and stories. But after a few minutes, he proposed to drive me back. He saw that I wasn't feeling well.

          He got inside the house in order to let Na Yeon and Yu Gyeom know that I was leaving. The two of them accompanied him outside. Na Yeon hugged me tight as Yu Gyeom asked me to take care of myself. We had a bittersweet farewell and Young Jae led me to his car.

 

          He parked in front of the building and I thanked him. I thought that he would leave me here, however, he insisted on walking me to the apartment. He said that a young and beautiful woman shouldn't be alone at night. I was pleased by his comment.

 

"Thank you again." I said. "And I'm sorry for the trouble."

"It's alright Noona. I'll call you tomorrow."

"That's sweet. Thanks."

 

          He kissed my forehead before walking away. I closed the door as soon as his silhouette disappeared. I was smiling like an idiot. I felt lucky to have friends like them, we had been a lovely group since we had met one another at high school.

          My heart skipped a beat when something brushed against my shoulder.

 

"Who's that ?"

 

          Even though it was dark, I was able to recognize the one who had touched me.

 

"Jae Bum ? Why aren't you sleeping ?" I whispered.

"I was waiting for you."

"What ?"

"I couldn't sleep. I need to talk to you."

 

          I had no time to reply as he dragged me to his bedroom. There, he the lights. I had never seen his out-of-bed look before. His messy hair, his beautiful face, his jaw line, his fair skin, he looked handsome. A shiver traveled down my spine as I focused on his face. I felt as if I had never seen him in the past. It felt weird.

          The way he looked at me was weird too.

 

"Jin Ae, what's wrong with you ?"

"What are you talking about ?"

"You're so pale.."

"It's a simple headache. What do we need to talk about ?"

"It can't be a headache. You look sick."

 

          Jae Bum ignored my words. He made me sit on his bed in order to take a closer look at my face. After a few seconds, he decided that something was wrong with my health. He ordered me not to move while he went to the kitchen to take a glass of water. When he came back, my headache had worsened, and I gladly accepted the fresh drink. I was surprised to hear Jae Bum asking me to lay down on the bed. However, I didn't feel like fighting with him. I simply did as I was told.

          He left for a moment and brought a cold cloth back. He put it on my forehead as I closed my eyes. I was so tired.

 

"What if that guy has given you some weird drug ?" he supposed.

"It's a simple headache Jae Bum. Don't worry."

"How can I not worry when you're like this.."

 

          The pain reduced as I drifted off to sleep.

 

. . .

 

          It was the morning already and Jin Ae was still sleeping. I had not left my room when she had fallen asleep. In fact, I had sat down next to the bed so as to watch over her. I had never done that for any of my friends before. It was making me feel special. She only had a headache and I felt as if I had to take care of her. I didn't want her to be hurt.

          A knock on the door ruined the perfect silence of my room. Jin Young was standing there.

 

"Are you ready ?" he asked. "The others are waiting for us at the gym."

"I don't think I can go today."

"Why ? Is there something wrong ?"

"I'll tell you later. Go first."

"Are you fine ?" he insisted.

"I am." I nodded. "Go."

 

          Jin Young walked some steps and he glanced at me again. I smiled, letting him know that I was perfectly fine, and he left. When I turned around, my eyes met Jin Ae's adorable morning face. She had woken up.

 

"Why are you here ?" she yawned.

"This is my bedroom." I laughed.

 

          No words left as she observed her surroundings.

 

"See, you're the one who doesn't respect my intimacy."

"You're the one who brought me here." she said.

"How are you ?"

 

          I sat down next to her fragile body. My hand found its way to her forehead.

 

"I'm better. Thank you for taking care of me." 

"It's the least I can do." I replied. "I'm sorry for what I've done before. You were hurt because of me."

"What ?"

"I'm sorry."

 

          She blinked several times. It seemed that she was taken aback by my apology. She probably didn't expect it.

 

"Can we.. be friends ?" I asked. "Let's start anew."

"I'll never be your friend."

"What ? Why ?"

"It would be too weird." she stuck her tongue out. "I mean, we have known each other for a long time. And I've never liked you. My feelings can't change so easily."

"Aww.. this is serious. I had no idea you hated me that much. Is it only because I treated you like a child ?"

"There is something about you that I dislike."

"What is it ?" I asked.

"I have no idea."

 

          I couldn't help but laugh. That girl was crazy. She didn't want to be my friend, she said she disliked me, and she didn't even have a good reason. Something must have happened. If it was only because of my behavior, she would have forgiven me already. She might hide another reason. An hypothesis came to my mind.

 

"Don't tell me.. you hate me because you wanted me to see you as a woman, to actually be interested in you." I murmured.

"You're stupid !" she shook her head.

"It's right, isn't it ?" I insisted. "You're in love with me. And you're mad because I've not realized what a wonderful woman you are !"

 

          She kept silent and I didn't know how to interpret it. I was starting to think that my hypothesis was close to reality. There was no other reason for her to dislike me. I had not done anything to harm her.

 

"Don't worry Jin Ae, I know that you're a woman. A beautiful one." I said.

 

          I recalled the time I had burst into the bathroom while she had been half-. Her body figure had not left my mind. I could still remember the fine line of her body. Each time I dreamed about it, I lost control of my senses. Her image brought along a feeling of desire, of need. Of course, it was purely physical.

 

"Jae Bum, you're completely wrong." she sighed.

"Too bad.."

"What ?"

"Nothing.."

 

          I messed her hair while smiling. To my surprise, she didn't react. We looked at each other for a while, in silence. I wasn't able to look away from her face. Her beauty had not caught my eyes in the past. To be honest, she hadn't drawn my attention. She had been a friend's younger sister whom I liked teasing. Nothing more.

 

          But her status in my life had changed since I started living with her. I had discovered that she was a passionate girl, I had seen her focused on her homeworks, having fun while cooking, looking after her brother, caring for her friends, I had noticed her little habits. I had heard her talk about her fears and her wishes. Without her knowing, I had learned many things about her personality. I had found myself getting attached to her. My feelings for her had evolved, had grown and there was no way I could stop them.