one

Kids with Guns

It's early morning and it's hot, too hot for Jihoon's comfort. But then again, he hasn't felt comfortable in over two months so what difference does a bit of heat make?

Jihon releases a deep sigh, uselessly fanning his face in attempt to make the heat a bit bearable. It doesn't help. 

" this stupid weather." Jihoon groans, closing his eyes and tilting his head back against the tree he's perched on. He makes sure not to fall asleep, not wanting to slip off the branch he's sitting on and bust his . It would be really embarrassing if he were to meet death by tree.

He had planned to scope out the area today - he came across this small town only last night and spent the night inside an abandoned van, too tired to raid a house so late at night - but now, thanks to the unbearable heat, he's finding it hard to move at all.

He sits with his eyes closed, listening to the strangely calming sound of nearby cicadas, when a low growling catches his attention. Jihoon opens his eyes to find a walker attempting to reach for his dangling leg. Jihoon quickly pulls his leg up and - opting for a quick and quiet weapon - reaches for a spear he keeps sticking out of his bag-pack and sticks it straight into the walker's brain. 

"Nasty." he mutters as he cleans the weapon. 

The sun has finally calmed down a bit, making the heat easier to deal with and a slight breeze helps Jihoon remember he's in the middle of an apocalypse. "I guess I have no choice now." Jihoon mumbles as he jumps off the branch and lands on his feet with a soft thud. 

Wiping the lingering sweat on his forehead, Jihoon heads towards the empty house closest to him.

The house is a normal two story home, as are the rest of the houses in this neighborhood. The white paint is covered in dirt and nature begins to take action as vines curl around nearby pipes and the overgrown grass begins to reach well above Jihoon's ankles. 

Jihoon climbs the three short steps to the porch and, once warily running his down the street, takes hold of the doorknob and opens the door with ease.

It's a good thing no one bothered to lock their doors when all of this began, or else Jihoon would have to go through a bit of unnecessary trouble when opening them.

Jihoon holds his breath and listens for any possible noise coming inside the house before deeming it safe enough to walk in. He takes out a small knife - a Busse Team Gemini - and holds it close, just in case.

The house seems to be just as the owners left it, only with layers of dust now covering every object. It's quiet, as it always is now, with only Jihoon's labored breathing filling the empty home and the all too familiar sounds of cicadas wafting through the windows. 

Jihoon moves past the living room and heads to the kitchen, planning to restock his bag with food. He grins once he opens the nearest cabinet and finds it filled with food. He takes as much as possible, stuffing it all into his bag until he decides it's enough - mainly because he can't carry too much by himself, if could he'd take the whole kitchen with him.

Jihoon practically cheers when he opens the fridge and finds multiple water bottles and immediately gulps down two bottles. He takes out his larger canteen and fills it to the brim, then proceeds to stuff a few extra bottles into his bag. 

Once he's satisfied with the new contents in his bag, Jihoon picks up his belongings and proceeds to search the rest of the house while snacking on a few cans of sliced fruit.

Jihoon goes through a few more houses, finding some usable items he stuffs into his bag. Once he reaches the fourth house, he finally finds what he was looking for; clothes his size.

"Finally. I was dying in that sweatshirt." Jihoon sighs as he slips out of the sweaty garment and into a black T-Shirt that's a size too big, but is better than nothing. He stuffs a clean sweater and a few shirts into his bag, glad he still has space for it all.

Jihoon runs a hand through his blonde hair and locks the bedroom door. He glances around the small bedroom, smiling faintly at the light blue walls and at the silly posters. "Why did everything have to get so ed up." he sighs.

He lays his knife on the bedside table and pulls back the dark blue covers and lays down without bothering to remove his shoes, just in case he needs to make a quick escape. Before all of this, he would have thought twice and maybe even five times before getting into a complete strangers bed, but now he can't afford the luxury of being picky. 

Checking his watch, the little hands tell him it's barely 12, and Jihoon curls further into the covers as the warm sunlight shines through the windows.

He falls asleep only seconds later, exhausted and with a full stomach.

His newfound comfort doesn't last long, not when he's suddenly startled awake by a gun shot followed by screaming.

Sitting straight up, Jihoon checks his watch and groans when he sees he's only slept for half an hour. He quickly heads to the closest window and immediately spots the source of his rude awakening.

A person - a boy maybe? - runs down the street, arms flailing wildly as they aimlessly swish a knife towards the small crowd of walkers advancing on them.

Jihoon groans for the hundredth time and rubs his eyes, trying to decide whether or not he should be a good person and help that idiot out.

His guilt eventually wins out so he grabs his belongings and runs out of the house as quick as possible. Once he's reached the bottom of the porch, Jihoon can hear the idiot's screaming loud and clear. ". If they don't shut up, they'll attract even more ing walkers." 

Once he finally reaches the back of the group, Jihoon expertly takes out his favorite knife - his Busse Team Gemini, of course. It helps get the job done quick and quiet - and proceeds to take out all five unsuspecting walkers from behind.

Jihoon sheaths his knife before clipping it on the waist of his jeans and turns to look at the idiot whom is still running straight ahead, screaming their head off. Jihoon rubs at his temples, rolling his eyes when the person finally notices they're safe.

"Oh!" The person's eyes are wide as they turn to look at Jihoon and then at the walkers now lying dead - well, dead-er - on the ground. "Did you do this?"

Jihoon rolls his eyes, annoyed. "Obviously."

His obvious tone doesn't seem to bother this person as they step over the pile of zombies and takes Jihoon's hand in theirs. "Thank you! I used up all my bullets and I at killing them close range." They rub the back of their head sheepishly with an embarrassed smile.

Jihoon hums in response, not knowing what do or say now.

The person picks up on his awkwardness and quickly introduces themselves. "My name is Kwon Soonyoung!" 

Jihoon nods stiffly and replies a few seconds after contemplating his response. "Lee Jihoon." 

Soonyoung smiles widely, "Thanks again, Jihoon." 

Jihoon isn't sure what to do now, he's done what he came out to do so he should begin to part ways, but he can't seem to make himself move. Maybe it's because this is the first person he's seen in months that hasn't tried to eat him alive. Or maybe it's because the dopey smile Soonyoung is giving him is making him slightly worry over the boys safety. 

Soonyoung clears his throat after a bit of awkward - awkward for Jihoon - silence. "So where's the rest of your group? We could all get together! My team is kind of in need of someone like you."

This time it's Jihoon who clears his throat and rubs the back of his neck sheepishly, although he's not sure why he's even embarrassed since he's done a great job at keeping himself alive.

"I'm by myself." he admits.

Soonyoung's smile drops, making Jihoon feel like the loser he already knew he was. 

He turns to walk away, shoulders slightly slouched in exhaustion and slight regret, until Soonyoung suddenly takes hold of his hand. "You can join us! There's only five of us and we're good but we'd be better if you would join us! It's better to be with a group, we'd keep you safe!" Soonyoung pleads with bright eyes.

Jihoon frowns, feeling uncomfortable and unsure - as well as surprised that Soonyoung is being so insistent, no one has ever wanted him this badly. 

He thinks about considering the offer, but he just met Soonyoung, and not in an impressive way either, so he isn't sure he can trust him let alone the rest of his group.

Soonyoung seems to pick up on Jihoon's distress and uncertainty because he speaks up again. "I swear you can trust us. If you want, you can just meet everyone else really quick and if you decide you don't like us, you can leave."

Jihoon is silent for a while longer, uncertain, until he finally nods timidly.

"Yay!" Soonyoung jumps around for a while and Jihoon just looks at him with an embarrassed frown. 

Once Soonyung composes himself, he takes Jihoon's hand once again and leads him along. Jihoon pulls his hand away from Soonyoung's grip with a frown and follows along silently while Soonyoung talks about his friends.

"The last time I saw them, they were looking through houses in the next neighborhood and I wandered a bit too far, which is when I stumbled across the Creepers." Soonyoung laughs. "Thanks again for helping me, by the way."

Jihoon snorts, not at the thank you but at the name Soonyoung's group seems to have given the Walkers.

They walk quietly the rest of the way due to Jihoon insisting they stay quiet in case any Walkers are nearby - and also because he would rather mull over all that's happening right now in peace and quiet, but he didn't tell Soonyoung that.

The neighborhood they walk into is similar to the previous one, Jihoon notices as they walk around in attempt to spot Soonyoung's group without shouting.

"They should be here..." Soonyoung mutters, eyebrows raises in worry.

Before Jihoon can think of anything to console him, a tall figure two houses away catches Soonyoung's attention and he proceeds to run towards them, pulling Jihoon along with him. 

"Jeonghan! Did you miss me?!" Soonyoung lets go of Jihoon as soon as he reaches the porch and throws his hands around the person's body in a tight embrace.

The man looks at Soonyoung with a raised eyebrow, "No, we've been separated for like ten minutes."

Soonyoung pulls away with an offended expression, "Jeonghan I almost died! I was one neighborhood over, being chased by Creepers, and where were you guys?! If it weren't for Jihoonie here I'd be dead."

Soonyoung's friend seems to finally notice Jihoon and his eyes widen at the sight of him. "Oh! Thanks for saving this idiot." He smiles warmly and introduces himself. "My name is Yoon Jeonghan."

It takes a few seconds for Jihoon to reply, too busy staring at the man in awe. Jeonghan has very sharp masculine features that also seem a bit soft, and his short bob-cut hair frames his hair nicely. And Jihoon would be lying if he said he isn't a bit jealous of his height.

After Jihoon manages to introduce himself, Soonyoung cuts in and explains why he's brought him along.

"I see." Jeonghan says. "I'd be happy if you'd join us, and I'm positive the rest of the guys would be too! We could use the help."

Soonyoung nods along.

"Jisoo, Seungkwan and Seokmin are blocking the windows and extra doors right now, come on!" Jeonghan leads them both into the house, and sure enough, the sounds of hammering and furniture being pushed around invade his ears.

Jeonghan disappears into what seems like the kitchen, while Jihoon and Soonyoung take a seat on the plush couch, coughing at the dust that floats into the air, causing Soonyoung to laugh and then choke on said dust seconds later. 

"I think you'll like us." Soonyoung grins.

Jihoon doesn't reply. He's too anxious to say much of anything at the moment. This is his first encounter with other people - living people - in over two months, and he isn't sure if he can trust them. Soonyoung and Jeonghan seem trustworthy enough, and Jihoon wants to believe that they are, but what about the other two? What if they don't want him to join them? Well, that'd be fine too wouldn't it? Better, even. Jihoon is used to being alone, he's done fine by himself so far. So, if he's rejected, he can just go back to how things were, no problem. Although, now that he's had an encounter with people again, Jihoon has to admit he's missed being around others. But again, he isn't sure if he can trust them and what if theydon't trust him?

His rambling thoughts are soon cut off by Jeonghan's voice and Jihoon looks up to see him followed by two boys.

One of the boys is tall, not as tall as Jeonghan but taller than Jihoon - everyone is taller than Jihoon, unfortunately - and his brown hair accentuates his soft but sharp features. Jihoon spots a piercing on his right ear that should seem out of place on him, but the small cross somehow adds character to his appearance.

The other boy is also tall, again not as tall as Jeonghan or Jisoo, but tall. He has a soft round face along with cute features, his eyes seem serious but hold a mischievous glint in them. His fading red hair catches Jihoon's attention the most.

"Jihoon, this is Jisoo." Jeonghan points to the boy with the piercing, whom gives Jihoon a small wave and a shy smile. "And this is Seungkwan." the other grins widely, "Hello!"

"Jeonghan told me told me you helped Soonyoung, thank you for that." Jisoo takes a seat beside Jihoon. "He's not usually so careless." he gives Soonyoung a pointed look and Jihoon almost snorts, this seems like a parent talking about their troubling child.

"Honestly, we'd be grateful if you joined us. The more help, the better." Jisoo says. "You can trust us. But it's up to you, of course."

Jihoon nods warily, still unable to say anything. His mind is going a mile a minute, trying to come up with a decision.

He really wants to join them, he wants to trust them but how can he if he's only known them for five minutes at most?

The other four talk among themselves - the older two scold Soonyoung for wandering off as if he's their child again and Seungkwan teases Soonyoung, which leads to him getting a lecture as well - while Jihoon thinks all of this over.

What if he gives it a shot? Well, he could end up being killed in his sleep...but then again, what difference does that make when that's been a possibility ever night for over two months. Jihoon doesn't want to admit it, but the biggest reason for his hesitance is due not wanting to get close to them. There's a possibility any of them could die at any moment, and getting close to them would make that pain unbearable. But he needs this. He knows he needs this and to be completely honest, he really-truly wants this. He wants to be able to sleep for a whole night while someone else watches over him for once, he wants to run with a group that has each others back instead of having to watch out for himself all the time. He wants to talk to someone other than himself again. He wants to laugh and he wants company. He wants this.

"Okay." Jihoon speaks up, interrupting Seungkwan and Soonyoung's bickering. The four look at him with a hope in their eyes that makes Jihoon even more sure of his decision. "I'll join you guys."

They're quiet for a heartbeat before Soonyoung is out of his seat and pulling Jihoon into a hug, Seungkwan following close behind. Jeonghan and Jisoo smile at the scene and pull Jihoon between them once the previous two let go.

"You won't regret joining us!" Soonyoung grins and the rest agree.

Jihoon feels himself nodding along and smiling for the first time in a while. He knows he won't regret it.

"What are you shouting about?" Another voice joins them and that's when Jihoon remembers there's supposed to be a fifth person.

Jeonghan turns to the owner of the voice, "Oh, Seokmin, come meet Jihoon. He saved Soonyoung earlier and he agreed to join us."

The owner of the voice sets down a hammer before focusing his gaze on Jihoon. His eyes are dark and his face is finely sculpted, his body is broad and muscular and Jihoon is immediately intimidated - and the hard look Seokmin is giving him doesn't help.

Jihoon begins to regret his decision, a thought that immediately vanishes once Seokmin's face breaks into a wide smile and Jihoon has to look away because he feels like he's staring at the sun itself.

"Hi Jihoon, thanks for joining us!"

And just like that, Jihoon feels his heart skip a beat and a blush take over his face.

He wants to punch himself.