Lawsuit

The Right To Love

Wonwoo POV

It was the start of a new week and I got my morning coffee and was heading to work. As i entered the office, my partner, Namjoon was already in my room waiting for my arrival.

“What do you have there?” I said walking in before placing my cup on the table and sitting opposite him.

“New case came in today, divorcees wanting custody over their daughter. The girl is 18 this year, Kim Yoonmi. Father, rich business man however the mother is deaf and mute. Their marriage was supposingly arranged.” He said, then closed the folder and handed it to me.

“So, who are we working with?” I asked. “The mother, Mdm Chwe. We'll be meeting them tomorrow afternoon at 2pm.” He said. I nodded and thanked him before he exited the room.

I spent the entire day researching and going through Mdm Chwe’s profile, her ex-husband, Mr Kim’s and Yoonmi’s. Mdm Chwe doesn't work most of her life, i mean she is after all handicapped. Mr Kim has a business of his own, a famous oil company. Yoonmi too, has worked a few jobs, in places like cafés, restaurants and a bookstore.

I printed whatever information I found and filed it into the folder. I continued to analyze all the information and typed up some documents for my previous cases before i ended my day.

I packed my things and brought the folder with me. It was 5.30pm in the evening, i walked to Namjoon’s room and knocked on the door before entering.

“Dinner?”

-

Tuesday, 1.30pm

It was almost time to meet Mdm Chwe and Yoonmi, Mr Kim has some important meeting today and wouldn't be able to make it.

We usually wouldn't ask to meet the child but in this case, we needed someone that could understand Mdm Chwe and help us communicate with her. Namjoon and I have collated all the information about the divorcees relationship with their daughter and how we can go about with this lawsuit.

We waited for the mother and daughter in my room, 2.01pm. “Their one minute late,” Namjoon said. “It’s just one minute Namjoon, please.” I answered, Namjoon wasn't impatient. He's just….serious about his work. Sometimes a bit too serious.

2.05pm, that’s when a knock on my room door was heard. “Finally…” Namjoon whispered before walking to the door and opening it.

A middle age looking woman came in, she was wearing a white blouse topped over with a grey cardigan. She was a nice looking lady, she smiled at Namjoon and shook his hand. Then behind her came a young girl, Yoonmi I'm guessing. She had her hair tied up in a ponytail, she was wear a black hoodie and denim blue ripped jeans. She looked just like her mother but younger and more confident looking. She gave a small smile to Namjoon and bowed slightly then the same towards me.

Mdm Chwe looked a lot younger than expected, she sat in the chair in front of me. Yoonmi placed her backpack on the floor and sat beside her mother. I shook Mdm Chwe's hand and she smiled while returning a firm handshake.

“Yoonmi, am I right?” I asked as a shook her hand. “Yes, nice to meet you.” She said.

We asked some questions, Mdm Chwe's relationship with their daughter and why they'd suddenly want to file this lawsuit only after a year of being divorced.

Yoonmi signed it to her mum, who thought for awhile before signing back. Yoonmi sighed before saying, “He wants me away from my mum, maybe he wants me to take over his company later on. My mum isn't sure, he just filed it without a reason.” Yoonmi looked so defeated and she never addresses Mr Kim as dad. It’s always just “he”.

“Yoonmi, what about you? Who do you want to be with?” Namjoon questioned her. “My mum, she needs someone to take care of her. Plus, what's the point of being with my dad when I'm just going to be alone in a huge mansion by myself the entire day?” She answered.

Namjoon took down some notes and I just stared at Yoonmi, I'm not saying it's true. But from her expressions, Yoonmi seem to have this hatred for her dad.Every time we mentioned her dad, she would have this odd expression on her face...like a look of disgust. Did he cause her mum to become like that? Or did he do something to hurt them?

I got interrupted when Yoonmi spoke, “If there's nothing more. I have somewhere to be, may I leave?” I quickly wrapped up the session and sent them out. We'd be meeting all three of them again some time next week.  I saw Yoonmi walk her mum to the nearby bus stop and handed her a small sum of money before running off somewhere.  

“Something's off about that Yoonmi girl,” Namjoon said. “You think so too huh?” I asked, he hummed then patted my back before walking back to his room.

-

It was the end of the day and i decided to head down to the neighborhood bookstore. It's been awhile since I've been there, I used to have loads of time to read but now I'm too busy with work.

I walked into the store and the bells on the door ringed lightly. “Welcome~” a familiar voice called out. I turned to look at where the voice came from. Yoonmi's back was facing me as she placed some newly arrived books into the shelves. She turned around and greet me, “May I-” she stopped when she saw me. “Oh, hi. How may I help you?” She asked. I shook my head, “I'm just looking around”

She nodded and returned to doing her job, I was tempted to ask about her dad and her mum. Their background and all that. But things like this are meant to be kept in the office, so I decided against it.

I got myself a book, “The Seventh Day” it's by a chinese author but they sell the korean version here. God knows when I have the time to read this. I walked to the counter and paid, “So, you like romance?” Yoonmi asked. “Umm, I'm okay with romance but I'm fine with any genre. As long as the plot is good.” I replied. She nodded and passed me the change. “Thank you for coming,” she said handing me my book in a paper bag.

I was about to leave when I glanced at my watch, 8.30pm. I turned around, “Hey, what time does your shift end?” I asked Yoonmi. “9pm, why?” She questioned. “Dinner?” I asked. “I barely know you…” Yoonmi said, looking at me suspiciously. “Well then, let's fix that. I'll wait outside,” I said with a smile before pulling the glass door open and walking out.

-

Yoonmi POV

That crazy lawyer just walked in here, took forever to choose a book and asked me out for dinner. Who does he think he is? Is he psycho?

I could see him waiting for me outside from the mirror that was placed outside the shop. Initially, I thought he was just playing with me, but it's already 8.50pm and he's still out there waiting. I decided to just lock up early and go for dinner, no one was coming anymore and the streets were empty. Roads filled with cars rushing to go home.

I exited the bookstore with a book in hand, I closed the glass door behind me and locked up. I walked to Mr. Crazy Lawyer and just stared at him who was busy reading his newly bought book.

“Oh, you're done? It’s only 8.55pm,” he said. “No one is going to come anyways, so might as well just leave now.” I answered putting the book into my black sling bag. “Are you allowed to do this?” He questioned. “I don't know, who cares? I still get paid anyways,” i answered before walking away. “Hey wait up!!” Mr. Crazy Lawyer shouted and followed me.

We entered the fried chicken restaurant down the road, it was one of my favourite places to go after work. I sat down and he did too, taking the seat in front of me. “Let's order,” I said and ordered a 3 piece meal for the two of us. “Do you want soju?” I questioned. “Umm...no I don't like soju,” he answered shaking his hand as a sign that he didn't want the soju. I nodded and ordered cola instead.

It was so awkward while we waited for our food. I was about to break the silence but then Mr. Crazy Lawyer spoke. “Sorry for just suddenly asking you out for dinner. I had no one else to go with, I don't really like being lonely. Weird right?” He said, I was about to answer when our food arrived.

“Same, I don't like being alone too.”

We practically ate in silence, the only thing we talked about was my mum. He asked about her and I just answered. There was nothing too personal just like casual chatting. “I need to go relieve myself, excuse me,” he said as he got up and went to the washroom. Why couldn't he just say 'i need to pee’ or something. 'Relieve myself’ what on earth…

I stood up and took both our belongings to the cashier to pay for my order. Since I couldn't afford to pay for the both of us, I guess I should at least pay for my portion. However, when I got there, Wonwoo was already paying.

“Let's go,” he said after he paid and took his bag from me. We walked out of the restaurant. “I'll pay you back, how much was it?” I asked, already taking out my wallet. “It's okay, since i was the one was asked you out. It’s only right for me to pay,” he said. “Thank you.” He just smiled as a reply.

“Where do you live? I'll give you a ride,” he said. “I live with my cousin, but he probably isn't home yet. Plus I forgot my keys today,” I told him. He frowned and questioned, “Then where will you go now?” I smirk a little, “I know where my cousin would be at, would you take me there?”