Chapter 6

Cruiseline Love

It had been a week and everybody in the ship seemed to work in sync, Taeil was sitting outside the galley taking in some salty sea air as the heat in the galley was already making him feel stuffier than ever. He sat down on a crate and started to fan himself, Taeyong had given him a 5-minute break before the start preparing for the snacks. “Tired?” Johnny asked startling Taeil, the older smiled at him and nodded “shouldn’t you be resting?” the captain chuckled. “I just woke up, and just doing my rounds before I go back to sleep again” Taeil opened his mouth and let out an “ah~” while nodding understandingly. “Well, Captain Seo…I’ll head back to work now~” he bowed and scurried back to the kitchen, Johnny took a peek and saw his brother diligently supervising the galley staff. He saw Haechan on the other side in-charge with the rice since Taeyong wanted him to start with an easy duty although they don’t use rice cookers in the ship. WinWin was in the dish washing section going back and forth to help the new crew. He saw Jaemin going in and out of the kitchen carrying loads of plates and putting a few finished products on the tray before giving it to Kun to check if the food is right before they serve it to the guest. He then saw Taeil having a conversation with Taeyong before the two had split up to do their own duties; he let out a tired yawn before heading to the clinic to check on his sister who was on day shift with Doctor Jisung. He took a peek in the clinic and saw his sister writing down something as to what the doctor was telling her as he was busily looking at a patient. He let out another yawn and decided to go back to his room and sleep some more before Hansol goes off duty later.

 

 

 

A glass broke from the first class dining hall and some of the crews had lined up to clean up the mess, “I’m so sorry sir, we’ll just get this cleaned up. And while you wait for your meal, may we offer you a different appetizer? It’s on the house” Yuta apologized on behalf of the new crew who had caused this accident and offered compensation. The man nodded and Yuta put on the rubber gloves and removed the huge shards of glass from the floor before sweeping the tiny ones. He had ushered the rest to go back to their work and went back to the kitchen, Ten is in-charge of the dishes this day and he was already grumbling about the work load and Taeil was helping him.

 

Ten started to hum a familiar tune and Taeil joined in singing. “I’m in love; I’ve fallen deep into your heart. Can’t escape~” everybody in the kitchen turned to look at Taeil when the older started singing. He quickly lowered his head and rinsed the dishes feeling extra shy, “why are you two singing to Hello Venus? You two feeling sensual?” Haechan poked fun at his hyungs and continued to fry up the mojos, Taeil scratched his nape and Ten just smiled at him. “You really have a great voice hyung~ sing often…don’t hide your talent” he gave him a wide smile and continued working.

 

Taeil was already off duty Saturday evening and decided to check on the night breeze on the deck. He quickly put on his jacket and went out of his shared bedroom, but as soon as he had opened the door he was welcomed by Ten and the others. “Where are you going, hyung?” Doyoung asked, “I was going to take a breather up and look at the night view” Doyoung sat on his bed, “what view? The only view you’re seeing this late is the moon and the stars” he sassed. Ten stretched his arms and indian sat on the older’s bed, “we’re arriving in Osaka, 8 days from now then Portland with no passengers for a month or more…depends, I heard there’s a storm!” he exclaimed. There was a soft knock on the door and Herin stood up to open it revealing Renjun, Chenle, Haechan and Jisung. “So this is where you guys went~ came here with the doctors and this thing named Moomin” Haechan held onto the white hippo-like plush “…and his owner Renjun because they were dead bored in the clinic with no patients” he sat on the floor seeing no more space on Taeil’s bed. “where’s Jaemin?” Herin asked, “extra shift hours together with Jaehyun hyung, Kun hyung and WinWin hyung” Haechan answered. Ten rolled his eyes, “anyway~ we have no passengers to Portland after Osaka, just a few cargos but we’re still getting paid anyway but the captains and the officers still work together with the engine masters” he opened his laptop again and looked at Taeil. “Hyung, I thought you were going out?” the younger raised an eyebrow at his hyung, “are you kicking me out of my own room?” the older faked hurt then started laughing. “Wow~ it’s the first time I’ve heard Taeil hyung laugh like this…you should do it more often hyung!” Yuta pinched the older’s cheek and chuckled. “So anyway~ let’s watch a horror movie… But I don’t have my speakers” Chenle raised his hand, “I have my speakers…I’ll just go get it~” the lad stood up; “I’ll go with you…I want some snacks” Taeil stood up as well and followed the young doctor out.

 

Chenle got inside his and Renjun’s room and quickly grabbed the speakers from his bed; he followed Taeil where the older went to buy some snacks for everybody to share. On their way, they saw Hansol looking around for something…or someone, when the young captain saw Taeil he quickly walked towards him and let out a tired yawn “have you seen Yuta? I woke up and he wasn’t beside me anymore” Taeil and Chenle looked at each other, “he’s in Taeil hyung’s room, Captain Ji. We were going to watch a movie” he wiggled his speakers in front of the captain. “But I have to buy some snacks before going back there…do you want to come?” he looked at Hansol but the taller shook his head, “I’m going back to sleep… Please make sure Yuta doesn’t stay out late, okay?” Taeil nodded and both him and Chenle bid farewell to Hansol before heading out to buy their snacks.

 

“What took you so long?” Haechan whined, “Hansol was looking for Yuta” Yuta looked up and almost stood up, “he told me that I should make sure that you don’t stay out late” the younger sighed and nodded before grabbing Renjun to his side as Ten started the movie. “What are we watching?” Chenle sat beside Taeyong watching Ten place the laptop somewhere everybody would be able to watch the entire movie. They had plugged in the speakers, “we’re watching Thirteen Terrors. It has 13 episodes so we’ll watch an episode per night” Ten explained and played the movie. Taeil’s snacks were passed around the small and cramped room, each of them with their hiding pillow except for Taeil and Haechan who had their arms crossed as they were watching the movie quietly. Muffled screams were already heard when the part where the flashback of how the headless girl had died in the near end when the main character used to Ouija board and received a flashback from the ghost in question. They all sighed in relief as the main character found the headless girl’s head inside a very old desk; it had been there for 14 years already that’s why the face couldn’t be recognized anymore.  At the near end of the movie they all screamed except for Haechan and Taeil as the first episode ended up with the main character’s head being chopped off by her own mother after being possessed by a samurai wielder-like spirit and her head was placed underneath the desk afterwards. Ten placed his hand on his chest and saw Yuta almost sticking to the wall; Renjun had his whole face covered by his moomin plush while Chenle hid behind Herin who hid behind Doyoung who hid behind Taeil’s pillow. “That was some twisty ~” Taeyong commented as he stood up, “it’s almost midnight…we should go back to our rooms and sleep” Renjun and Chenle whined because they were still on duty so they had to go back to the clinic. “Taeil hyung~” Yuta tugged his shirt surprising the older “can you bring me back to Hanso hyung’s room?” the older ruffled his hair and nodded, “oppa you can’t leave me alone here” Herin whimpered and stood up as well holding on to the hem of Taeil’s shirt. “Okay, let’s take Yuta back to his room then we’ll go back and sleep” he patted her head. “Taeil hyung~ take us to our rooms too” the rest whined except for Haechan who already went back to his shared bedroom with Jaemin.

 

Taeil one by one brought them to their rooms and Chenle and Renjun back to the clinic, Yuta was the last one to be brought back to the room and Hansol’s room was far away from theirs. The Captains’ chambers were located near the control room which was over the bridge, Yuta and Herin created a three-man line with Yuta holding on to the hem of Taeil’s shirt and Herin holding on to Yuta’s. “We shouldn’t really watch horror movies if you guys are being like this…” he commented as they got up on another flight of stairs where the lights suddenly went off and the engine suddenly stopped running. Yuta and Herin screamed in terror while Taeil was searching for his phone to give them a little light, “I left my phone in our room…did you guys bring yours?” “no” they both replied in unison. “Okay, let’s just sit here and not move until the lights turn on…come to think of it, they should turn on the emergency lights already” he stated calmly.

 

“What was that?!” Yuta shrieked when he heard noises after minutes of silence. “Probably the people in the engine room” the older replied calmly. Another noise came, “hyung~ I’m scared” Yuta whimpered and so did Herin. “I’ll be right here so don’t worry…try to be rational, we’re all grown u-“ Taeil screamed when he saw someone’s head in the light, when the two saw what Taeil saw they both started screaming as well. “Whoa! Calm down you three! It’s just me!” Mark said as he flashed some light over the scared trio, Yuta held onto his chest as he tried to breathe properly after the shock. “We thought your head was floating!” Herin looked at him as he was holding onto Yuta. “Floa-what?” the latter rose an eyebrow “2nd officer Lee, are there passengers there? Take them back to their cabins” they saw Mark turn his head to the darker side of the room, “there are three crews here Captain Seo! Nakamoto Yuta, Seo Hye In and Moon Taeil” he half shouted as he reported to the captain. Footsteps were being heard nearing them and the three stood up to greet the captain, “what are you three doing here this late?” Yuta stood up, “t-they were taking me back to Hansol’s room…after watching a movie with the others” he explained. “Oppa, what happened?” Johnny heaved out a sigh, “an engine malfunction but the engine masters are on it so no need to worry~ let me take you to Hansol hyung’s since it’s a bit dangerous” Johnny turned to look at Mark and Jeno, “go and look for wandering crews or passengers” he commanded and the two left.

 

After taking Yuta back to his and Hansol’s room, the three were on their way back to Herin and Taeil’s. “Who’s in the control room?” Taeil suddenly asked as they turned to another corner, “Chief Officer Jungwoo…” the older pouted in the dark, “I’m confused…last time there was only you and Hansol” “ah~ during your first trip with us, we lacked people. There should be at least two captains and two chief officers per ship so if the captains are unwell, someone would man the wheel for us” they entered inside Taeil and Herin’s room after a small talk with the captain. While Johnny was waiting for the electricity to get back and the engine to start functioning again, he stayed with his sister for a while. He talked to them about random stuff and all he heard was a hum from his sister, when the lights had he saw Taeil sleeping while hugging a pillow that looks like a slice of pizza. He then stood up and quietly closed the door, heading back to the control room so the ship could start moving again.

 

 

 

The next nights, they still met up and finished the horror series, they would usually watch 2-3 episodes per night and everything was the same. Taeil had to take everybody back to their rooms minus the engine malfunction, it’s a relief that their voices never reached the ears of the guests or they’d be in so much trouble if a guest complains. Only a couple more of days before they arrive in Osaka, it was far their shortest trip.

 

 

When the guests were heading down one by one, all the crews and officers even the captains stood in two lines bidding the passengers a safe trip. When the last batch of guests were about to go down the ship, one stopped in front of Taeil and looked at the older he stepped forward and gave Taeil a piece of paper which he hesitantly took. The passenger gave him a sly smile and then down the ship. When everything was secured and the passengers were all gone, all of them went back to their respective rooms to pack up the stuff that they were going to use off the ship for a whole week in Osaka. As Taeil was waiting for them in the lobby with his backpack bag on, a piece of paper fell down from his pocket while trying to get his phone out. “What’s that?” Ten pointed at the piece of paper and Taeil shrugged, “must be from that passenger earlier…he gave me this paper and I thought it was trash” he opened the folded paper and his mouth hang open. When he opened the paper, there was a phone number written on it and the name of the hotel where the passenger might be staying “well, that’s just nasty” Ten commented grabbing the paper from Taeil. “What’s that?” Johnny asked as he placed his duffel bag down, “a passenger gave Taeil hyung his number and hotel” the captain took the paper and looked at it before throwing it on the nearest trash bin. “~” he muttered under his breath. Taeil looked at him in a confused manner but Johnny just looked away.

 

When Yuta got down to the lobby with Hansol where everyone was sitting he smiled at them, “since there are a lot of us…and my house doesn’t have enough room, there will be 6 people in each room because me and Hansol have our own room” he grinned. “Just decide with whom you want to be roommates with” Hansol added and ushered everybody to exit the ship so they could start with their Osaka trip.