Hyung

Queen's Hospital
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

With his eyes focused intently on the clock in front of him, Jongkook raised the metal bar above his shoulders. He was timing each arm raise with every tick of the clock, pushing himself hard. Jihyo could see his biceps as it moved rhythmically under his skin and a glossy sheen of perspiration had started to cover his body.  

Music blasted loudly in the speakers yet the sounds registered were faint and faraway to her ears. 

Jihyo swallowed thickly as she continued her obvious oogling, ensnared by the glorious sight in front of her. The sun streaming through the floor to ceiling window casted a golden sillhouette around him and she could see every single curve of his muscles. Her eyes stopped their roving to linger at his perfectly shaped chest peeking out from behind his black sleeveless tank.

Absentmindedly, Jihyo her lips and her grip on the handle gradually slackened. A shot of adrenaline jerked her back when she lost her balance.

Jihyo blinked rapidly, cursing herself for not paying attention.  

Ya! Focus, woman! 

She snuck a peek at at Jongkook, who didn't seem to notice. He was lost in his thoughts. His eyes cloudy and unfocused. 

For the past few weeks, Jihyo had started working out with Jongkook at his usual gym located just along the Hangang. A typical session would start with warm-ups together on the treadmill, both of them plodding on at the machine in companionable silence. Jihyo learnt that she really enjoyed running alongside Jongkook. His endless stamina meant that his pace remains steady and his breathing, even. 

Running alongside Jongkook was oddly comforting and therapeutic. 

Why is he frowning though?

Before she knew it, Jihyo found herself staring at Jongkook again. Something seemed off. For some reason, Jongkook seemed more withdrawn today, his eyebrows tightly knitted together and his face unreadable. 

"Hyung, you okay?" Jihyo called out tentatively. 

Jongkook's face lifted at the sound of her voice, his eyes slowly focusing on the woman in front of him. "Eo, Jihyo-ya. Yeah, I'm fine." 

He lowered the heavily laden bar gently on the floor, releasing the breath he was holding with a gentle huff, before reaching for his water bottle. He sighed softly before taking a swig of water. "I think I'm done today, Jihyo-ya. Will probably head off early."

"Oh." 

Jihyo watched as he started removing the round black weights off and returned them to their rightful spot on the shelf. Subconsciously, her movements slowed down and the elliptical machine came to a stop. 

Jongkook saying no to lifting weights? How strange. 

"Are you feeling unwell?" She asked tentatively, unsure whether she should be probing. 

Jongkook chuckled and flashed his dimples, but his smile never quite reached his eyes. "Eo, it's really unlike me hey. Don't worry, Jihyo-ya. It's really nothing." He stood up and gathered his things. "I'll let you continue, don't mind me. Hyung will join you again next week okay?"

Jihyo paused.

Ever since they started going to the gym together, Jihyo had started calling him 'Hyung'. She remembered that day when he told her that he sees her as a dongsaeng - how that had sparked off a warm fuzzy feeling that lasted for days. She relished the thought that the level of comfort that she feels with her cherished sunbae is reciprocated. And this growing connection that they seem to have only got stronger now that they are spending more time with each other.

Hang on a minute.

Jongkook had shared before that working out helps him to clear his mind. This must be pretty serious for him to be acting this way. She wonders if something has happened to his family. 

Or maybe contrary to what everyone believes, he is affected by what happened at work yesterday.

Whatever it is, Jihyo was determined to find out. She watched as Jongkook packed his belongings into his bag. His wavy brown hair had fallen like a curtain across his face, shading his eyes from her. She was surprised by the impulse to brush it away with her fingers, as tendrils of tenderness unfurled at the pit of her belly.

Jongkook was ever dutiful as a sunbae, always looking out for her. His nurturing nature meant that he was sensitive to how she was feeling, and seemed to be able to detect when she needed a word of advice or a nudge of encouragement.

Somehow, he was always there when she needed him. For once, she would like to be there for him.

Jihyo hopped off the machine and grabbed her towel, deciding in her head to do something about it. "Hey, it's okay, Hyung. Let's leave together." She flashed him a bright smile and winked. "I want in on a cheat day too! Shall we go grab a coffee?"

 

 

"One skinny Cappucino, coming right up!" Jihyo chirped as she brought the drinks over to their table. 

Jongkook shook himself from his thoughts and looked up as she bounced over, balancing her tray of two coffee mugs and a huge slice of carrot cake over to him.

They had gone to the cafe next to the gym, located right by the Han river. The cafe seemed to be newly renovated, set in pleasing shades of blues and greens. The wooden tables and chairs seated youthful customers, and indistinct chatter filled the cafe. From the corner of his eyes, Jongkook could see the meandering of the river down into the horizon, with overgrown bushes of greens and browns outlining the moving water. 

He had never been here, partly because he was health conscious, and also due to his thrifty nature. Usually after gym, Jongkook heads directly home. No point spending money on empty calories, right? He is fully aware that he can be quite rigid with his food choices, and very much prefers to prepare his own post-gym meal. 

Yet somehow, one Song Jihyo had managed to convince him to come. "Just for a quick one! The coffee is sooo good over there - I swear!" She promised, as she beamed brightly at him, showing off her pearly whites. "Plus I've been having a carrot cake craving since forever - but the portions are huge and I can never finish it. Hyung, share it with me!" Whilst Jongkook was reluctant initially at the thought of eating a caloric dense post-gym snack, he found himself quickly relenting when he saw her beautiful eyes shaped in a silent plea.

I mean, who could say no to that?  

This is probably better for his mood anyway. He had been finding it hard to shake away his ruminative thoughts about what had happened yesterday. This would be a pleasant distraction.

It's funny, Jongkook always had many friends and got along well with people in general. But these relationships tended to remain superficial, leaving him with only a handful of close friends. He had thought that his relationship with this pretty Dongsaeng of his would be the same. However as he sp

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter