Sunbae

Queen's Hospital
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It's been a year since she started her training placement at Queen's hospital. Despite the numerous challenges that she faced, Jihyo's experience assured her that she's indeed in the profession that felt right for her. And when Queen's offered her a second placement after she passed her first review exams, of course she said yes. 

"Lee Hani. Ten year old girl, weight for height at 75%, bradycardic. Got admitted this morning from A&E. Suspected eating disorder." Hyemi rattled on as she went through the information left behind by the nurse from the previous shift. Her pretty eyes glued to the blue clipboard where they keep handover notes, never once looking up to meet Jihyo's eyes. 

For some reason, Hyemi seemed to be a permanent fixture in her working life. And she still treated Jihyo like a shadow, an extra pair of hands, nothing more. 

"Have to keep an eye on this one. Ask for the dietician to review," she stated matter of factly. She was about to turn on heels to leave the ward when she stopped in her tracks, her eyes looking bright and shiny for the first time.  

Kim Jongkook had just stepped into the ward. Of course. 

Ever since her first experience with him all those months ago, Jihyo's admiration for Jongkook had blossomed. He was the epitome of a gentle giant with an endless supply of patience. 

"Who do we have here today?" He asked. His voice is ever light and gentle, sending shivers down her spine. 

She really needs to get over this crush of hers. 

The muscular man sauntered to the counter, clad in his well fitted uniform. And if Jihyo was paying attention, she would have seen the lust in Hyemi's eyes as they roved around the curves of his arms and shapely .

But Jihyo wasn't. She was momentarily mesmerised by the mess of golden waves on his head, glinting under the last streaks of sunlight from the nearby window. 

How is he sooo good looking? Her heart fluttered in her chest.

His thick bushy brows were furrowed as he took in the information about their latest patient. "Proceed with the Eating Disorder protocol. Is the ward dietician aware of this case?" 

How would his brows feel beneath her fingertips? 

"I've just asked her to do this. Jihyo? What time is the dietician coming?"

Probably soft and silky, like his voice. There's something about him that's both strong and gentle. All at once.

A soft sigh escaped her lips. 

"Yah! Song Jihyo! Stop dreaming," screeched Hyemi, her high pitched falsetto startling Jihyo from her reverie. 

What? She blinked several times, her eyes blank. Next to her, Jongkook chuckled.

"Jihyo-ya, we need you to contact Penny-ssi to set up the meal plan for the new patient." 

Oh. Right. "Yes Sunbae," she said as she picked up the ward phone, following the protocol  for eating disorders. She really needs to stop daydreaming about her sunbae. 

This was the newest service provided by their paediatric ward - looking after patients with eating disorders. Previously, all patients with suspected eating disorders were sent to the adult service, which had a good nursing protocol set up. However, Jongkook had shared some research findings that adult and paediatric eating disorders should be managed differently. He proposed to spearhead the paediatric team here at Queen's.

And Jihyo learnt that when Kim Jongkook set his mind on something, he delivered. This made him very very y in her eyes. 

 "She will be coming in 30 minutes." 

"Great, now please note that under Hani's records," Hyemi called out in a super sweet voice, indirectly chasing Jihyo away to get some time alone with Jongkook. "Jongkook-ssi, I'm not very sure about one of the items on the ED protocol, could we discuss this over lunch?" 

Jihyo rolled her eyes internally. Hyemi was annoying but her one redeeming quality was her dedication to her job... and also to Jongkook.

"Sure."

Jihyo turned around, to make her way to the nurses' room to keep up with her documentation. A warm hand landed on her shoulder, stopping her in her tracks. "Jihyo-ya, do join us."

She turned to meet Jongkook's pleading eyes and she had to cough to cover her chuckle. She's not too sure when it began but over the months, her relationship with Jongkook had changed. 

Initially, he was like a mentor to her. Jongkook was there when Jihyo managed tough cases, passing on his expertise and sharing his personal experiences with her. Gradually, he became like a friend to her, someone who knew to hand her a warm cup of Americano alongside his encouraging smile after an emotional day.

He was also the one who persuaded her to take the hospital's offer to extend her placement, promising her that she'll have plenty of opportunities to hone her skills. 

Well, let's just say that he didn't have to try very hard for her to say yes. A part of Jihyo sometimes fantasises that Jongkook has his... personal reasons to keep her around. 

"Sure, Sunbae!" she chirped, agreeing to join them. Jongkook had shared how helpless he felt in the face of female pursuit. And well, Hyemi was his most ardent fan. "I have some questions to ask you myself," she added with a wink ignoring Hyemi's dagger stares. 

"Thank you." Jongkook mouthed gratefully, his bright eyes twinkling at her. 

 

"I swear I will eat later," pleaded Hani, her eyes watery and desperate. "I just ate breakfast two hours ago and I can't finish so much food, my body is just not used to it. Please eonni, I promise I will try later."

Next to Hani, Jon stared down at his morning snack. He had been there for a week and continues to have difficulties with completing his meal without support. Jihyo sighed internally as she tried to keep her voice calm, despite the agitation rising up in her chest. "We are going to stay here until we are all done with snack. And remember, snack time only lasts 15 minutes. Your other option would be the top-up."

She pointed to the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter