In A Mess

Just Another Complicated Story

 

  So, people say news spread like wildfire, and it seems like I can’t deny that. My day at school started out with eggs and flour being caked onto me. Well, thanks es, but I’m not going to turn into a cake even if you wish I do.

  My head hung low as I tried to get some of the gooey yolk out of my hair. Anna came forward with those fiery eyes and looked at me with disdain.

  “Jung Nicole, how dare you. I’ve warned you, didn’t I? HOW CAN YOU STEAL MY MA-”

  “And how dare you treat my Nicori like that! If you do that again, I can’t promise that I won’t hit women.” Jinwoon cut her off, and pulled the dirty me into his embrace

  Anna and her clique were mad, but they scurried off, in fear of the “lion king” of the school. I delved deeper into his embrace, hot tears running down my cheeks. I expected more attention yes, but...not this much.

  “Oh. Gawd.”

  That familiar voice perked me up as I left Jinwoon’s embrace for hers. She willingly accepted my hug and smoothed my hair. Gyuri, she was indeed my best friend, not irking away from me despite the huge mess I am.

  “Gyuri, I’m entrusting Nicori to you. I think you girls need some alone time.” Jinwoon’s voice was back to being gentle and soothing. He left us thereafter.

  “Gyuri…did I make a wrong choice? Should I have rejected Jinwoon?”

  “Love…is never wrong, Nicole. If you love him, you shouldn’t reject him just because other people want you to.”

  Guilt ran through my entire being and more tears flowed. There wasn’t love. Not towards Jinwoon at least.

  I felt like the meanest person in the world, even though I was the victim.

~ ~ ~

  The remaining time in the school went by peacefully for me (after I cleaned up and all), apart from the many gazes and whisperings. It seems like Jinwoon’s threat got into the heads of the people around.  

  I walked into the cafeteria, eyes darting around to look for the other two girls. I almost immediately spotted them at the furthest table on the left and walked to them.

  “Hey.” I briefly greeted before sitting down on an empty seat. Hara and Gyuri greeted me back before we continued with our meal in comfortable silence. It was nice of them to maintain that, I didn’t have the energy to strike a conversation after the incident this morning anyway.

  All of a sudden, the cafeteria door boomed and a loud “NICORI!” pierced through the cafeteria. People froze.

  Oh, I know that voice. It’s my boyfriend, Jinwoon.

  I sighed and poked my fork into my veggies. Just as I thought there was enough drama to last me the entire day, more come. I forcefully plastered a smile on my face and greeted the chirpy Jinwoon.

  “Hey.” I managed to mutter before I was engulfed in a hug. Murmurs ran through the cafeteria again. Oh gawd, I hate this public display of affection, I hate the attention we were getting.

  I looked straight ahead, only to find Key staring right into my eyes. I gave a questioning look, but he simply turned away and finally spoke, “Jinwoon, give Nicole some space, will you? She looks like she’s suffocating.” Then, he walked to Hara.

  Jinwoon heeded Key’s advice and finally let go of me. I rejoiced slightly at the loss of contact but this happiness was somehow shortlived. Jinwoon started fussing all over me again, doing aegyo of sorts and pinching my cheeks at all.

  Irritatedly, I looked over to Hara and Key. They were simply holding each other’s hands, whispering sweet nothings to each other. Hara looked blissful. My gaze fell onto Key next. He was holding Hara’s hand so gently, as if it was a delicate ornament while listening to her attentively, quietly. Why doesn’t Key like me? Why isn’t he my boyfriend? What does he see in Hara? Bitterness filled my heart. This is cold, cruel reality.

  I looked back at Jinwoon, who was doing aegyo. Jinwoon, how am I going to fall in love with him if what he does only irritates me? I sighed softly and turned away.

  My life is in a mess right now.  

_____________

A/N:

Hey guys, shiningeffect13 is back in action after a year. I am very sorry for the sudden disappearance. Over this year, my writing style has changed a little and I hope you guys are not too disappointed with this chapter. Constructive comments are very welcome, and I look forward to hearing your opinions! :) Enjoy~