The Fall

Dark Knight

 

 

 

 

 

Taeyong is in the midst of buttoning his pants when loud, hurried knocking sounds at his door. The noble quickly finishes the task before grabbing his sword from the bed and making move to open the wooden structure. He had heard the shouting and smelt the smoke, so when he yanks the door open, he quickly hides behind it, watching an armor clad individual rush in with their sword drawn, eyes rampantly scanning the room. The lilac haired boy doesn't waste any time then, pushing the door away and descending upon the enemy, who turns around last minute only to be met with the younger's sword pushing through his chest.

 

The enemy falls to his knees then, eyes wide beneath his helm, his own weapon falling to the ground when Taeyong retracts his own sword, watching the soldier fall to the ground lifelessly. The lilac haired boy hurries back toward his bed then, to throw on a mesh shirt, biting back the pain that flares up from his previous injuries. Just as he's managed to get his head through the opening, the sound of footsteps catches his attention before a a figure appears in the doorway, just barely managing to dodge the wild swinging of the noble's sword. But when he identifies the person, he quickly lowers his weapon, using his now free hand to pull down his shirt.

 

Ten looks both frightened and panicked, his clothing is scorched in some places, torn in others, blood is steadily seeping from a wound on his face, and his hands are shaking uncontrollably as he stands in the doorway of his master's private quarters. Taeyong only spares him a quick glance before crouching before the deceased body in the room, motioning towards it's armor clad bicep, or rather the insignia it bore. Their enemies wore forest green armor, a rather familiar sight, but it was the lion insignia embroidered with silver and black that gave them away. They knew their enemies and they were much too close for comfort.

 

"Attacking the castle while Hyunsoo and half of our army is away, how cowardly." Taeyong's gripes out, gripping the insignia roughly before ripping it off with surprising strength and presenting it to the Elven servant who pales at the sight, "I'm going to take great pleasure in killing that decrepit fool."

 

Ten remains silent at the revelation, keeping a steady watch on the hall for any signs of incoming enemies. Taeyong rises to a stand then, making his way out of the room only to pause in the doorway, gaze lingering on the wound marring his elf's cheek. The servant flinches when the elder reaches out a pale hand to wipe gently at the blood staining the smaller boy's cheek. But he quickly withdraws when loud shouting sounds at the end of the hall and he's reminded of the chaos surrounding them.

 

"Come, we must find my parents." He says, worry etched into his tone as he hurries down the hall, Ten scurrying behind him.

 

It's mostly fleeing servants that brush past them when they enter the corridor leading to the main hall. The Lee family guards are too busy fending off the attackers, but the relief that's evident in their gazes at the sight of Taeyong doesn't slip past the noble.

 

"My lord, they're attempting to breach the main hall!" Someone yells but it's all the lilac haired boy needs to hear for him to grab Ten's hand tightly in his as they rush to the main hall. It's difficult to maneuver with the heavy smoke and flames obscuring their path but somehow they manage and before they both know it Taeyong is pulling the door to their destination open.

 

Inside the main hall is the majority of what's left of the Lee family army, pushing steadily against the castle doors as their enemies attempt to knock it down and by the way the foundation of it shakes with each blow from the outside, it won't be long before the structure gives in and the castle is flooded and overwhelmed. The dread that curls in the pit of his stomach makes Taeyong feel light headed. It all felt so surreal, and none of it made sense. So many questions swarmed his mind, but the main one that plagued him was: why were they doing this? What could one possibly gain by destroying the castle and annihilating the Lee family? Because by the looks of it, they definitely had no plans of there being survivors. No, their enemy wanted them all dead clearly, and at the thought of said enemy, the noble's grip on his sword hilt tightens.

 

"My lord, you are alive." He's broken from his disturbing thoughts by the words of one of the Lee family Knights, Ser Nam, "They have breached the castle halls and reinforcements are just beyond the door, which will not hold much longer, my lord. This battle is already lost I'm afraid, but to ensure your safety would be a victory in itself-"

 

"What about you all?" Taeyong asks, frowning at the defeated tone in Ser Nam's voice. Sometimes it still shocked him that people were willing to risk their lives for him, ready to die to ensure that he would live. It was something about being a noble that he could never quite get used to.

 

"For you to die here, it would be the end of everything. Don't you see, my lord? You are the most important thing here, your life and your safety. We serve knowing the risks. It is our life for yours." Ser Nam replies, smiling despite the glossy set in his eyes. Ser Nam and Hyunsoo were the best of friends, having undergone similar training. Much like with Hyunsoo and Taeyong, the pair were pretty much inseparable. It was in that manner that Taeyong became accustomed to the knight, eventually thinking of him as that of another brother, someone he could practice his swordsmanship with and confide his insecurities to. So the lilac haired boy couldn't help the frown that marred his features at the elder's words or the choked feeling in his throat. He felt both touched and sorry, but somehow it felt like it wasn't enough.

 

"Please, do not weep here, my lord. For you have the most unpleasant crying face and I do not wish to see it moments before my own end. There is a paradise waiting for me after this with the Maker with lots of Ale and food, yes?" The Knight says with a small smile, probably meant for comfort but it made Taeyong feel even worse than before. What could one say to someone who was about to give their life for yours, and so willingly? "Lady Lee retreated to the study to find the Teryn. There is a secret passage there that leads out of the castle. It should ensure your safety. Please go swiftly and know that it has been an honor to serve you, my lord."

 

"Thank you" Taeyong's voice is soft and drowning with emotion but somehow Ser Nam hears it clearly, a sad smile on his lips as he nods.

 

"Maker watch over you both." Is the last thing he says, offering one final bow before he returns to the soldiers holding the door, just as it comes bursting open, enemies flooding in rapidly. Taeyong doesn't linger any longer then, grabbing Ten's hand once more and heading through the open doorway that contained a path leading to the study. The area is seemingly devoid of people, the only sounds being that of the pair's labored breathing as they hurry along the cobblestone path. But their footsteps falter when they notice something peculiar. One glance down tells them that it's footsteps, bloody ones at that, leading to the study. Taeyong and Ten share a look upon the discovery, the elder feeling the same dread before creep into the pit of his cut, causing his heart to beat at a much more rapid pace as he prayed the footsteps didn't belong to who he thought they did.

 

The noble is so caught up in his dread that he doesn't hear the footsteps of their enemies descending upon them. But Ten, though shaken, appeared to be perceptive beyond measures and shocks his master when, with the simple wave of his hand, he causes a small spark of a flame to ascend into a wall of fire, blocking the soldiers in their path. In the midst of his panic, fear, and the various thoughts running rampantly through his mind, Taeyong feels a prominent sense of amazement in regards to his servant. Had Yoona taught him that? But he's not allowed to ponder on it long before, surprisingly, it's Ten who grabs his hand and pulls him along, shocking his master once more.

 

The bloody footsteps become more prominent as they go, as does the dread settled within the young noble. He could only hope that the source wasn't who he had in mind, but said hope quickly dwindles when they enter the study only to narrowly dodge a dagger that comes flying in their direction.

 

"Oh, it's you." Mrs. Lee's voice is quiet in comparison to her usually high, shrill tone. Her raised hand is shaking from which the dagger came while her other holds tightly to the limp body in her hands. The silence that envelopes them is heavy as Taeyong takes in the huddled form of his father, skin pale, eyes closed, hands covered in blood in a poor attempt to cover a wound on his abdomen that soaked his entire attire in the crimson liquid.

 

"Mother, he's not breathing." It comes out in a jumbled rush, his words, as he drops to his knees in front of his parents. His father's hand is cool to the touch when he reaches out for it, but it's just another confirmation. Taeyong knew why his father wasn't breathing, he just didn't want to believe it, he didn't want to believe this. A world without his father, it seemed so impossible and yet here reality was, shoving it in his face, reminding him of life's fragility and how it had slipped through his grasp, "Why isn't he breathing?"

 

"Hush boy, he's gone to the Maker. Let him pass peacefully." His mother scolds, despite the tears soaking her cheeks, "Muster your strength, now is not the time to fall apart."

 

Taeyong nods solemnly at her words, taking in a shaky breath as he takes in the peaceful expression on his father's face. Teryn Lee had always been an ailing man and the healers said his time was coming soon and that he probably wouldn't make it before the year was over, so maybe that was the reason for the serene expression on his face. He wouldn't have to suffer anymore and had most likely died in the arm's of the woman he loved the most.

 

"He stayed up the previous night with Arl Kim, when the fighting broke out I came here to find him lying in a pool of his own blood. He passed away not too long ago and the Arl is long gone." Mrs. Lee explains, gently brushing stray, gray strands of hair from the Teryn's face as she does so. At the mention of Arl Kim, Taeyong feels anger course through him, vicious and uncontrolled, making his free hand ball into a tight fist.

 

"Arl Kim has betrayed us and his men have breached the main hall, mother. We must leave now."

 

"That bookcase in the corner there, move it. There's a secret passage behind it."

 

Ten, having witnessed the entire ordeal with mixed emotions, quickly makes move to push the bookcase, being joined by his master shortly after. A few pushes from the pair has the ominous shelf shifting to the side to reveal a dimly lit tunnel. The pair return to Mrs. Lee's side then, prepared to help her up.

 

"I will remain here. You two shall take the tunnel out of here and head straight out of the city. Arl Kim is after Daegu, and you must let it fall. A city can be rebuilt and reclaimed but the Lee family must not die out here-"

 

"I'm not leaving without you-" Taeyong starts only to be cut off by a sharp look from the older woman.

 

"Would you allow Arl Kim to claim victory so easily? He will go after Hyunsoo next and then the Lee's will be no more. Will you see us all go by his bidding?" She interrupts, tone leaving no room for argument, before her expression softens and she reaches out to gently caress her son's cheek, "I love you my strong, courageous boy"

 

"I love you, mother." The lilac haired boy says, voice thick with emotion as he takes in the sight of his mother one final time.

 

"Then live, live and bring vengeance upon the Arl. Live and know that your father and I will be watching over you and your brother. Live knowing that we love you too." She tells him, a gentle smile on her lips contrasting with the tears staining her cheeks. Mrs. Lee turns her attention to Ten then, who'd been quietly standing off to the side, "And you, you were sent by the Maker himself, I believe. I have full faith that you will watch over my boy, and yourself. You have been a pleasure to know, my friend."

 

"And you as well, my lady." The elf replies, causing the woman's smile to widen slightly.

 

"That is relieving to hear and a comfort I can die peacefully with. Now go you two, the castle will not hold much longer."

 

Taeyong nods sullenly, giving his father's hand one last squeeze and his mother's smile one last glance before making his way toward the awaiting tunnel. Ten takes in the sight of the noble couple, Mrs. Lee who's head is held high, still so strong even in the most fragile of moments, and the Teryn, in his the most peaceful of slumber, before he follows. The tunnel is long, cramped, and poorly lit, the somber air hanging over them as they travel through it. The sound of fighting and the smell of smoke greets them once more on the outside.

 

Ten stumbles out first, into the darkness of Daegu. The castle resided in the very front of the city so they exited the tunnel into safety. But there was no doubt that the city was aflame and under siege just like the castle. Arl Kim wanted more power, he wanted Teryn Lee's title, but more importantly, he wanted Daegu. If Taeyong didn't get out safely, he'd surely have it. It wouldn't be beyond the Arl's power to have someone "take care" of Hyunsoo and thus eliminate the entire Lee family line and claim the title as Teryn of Daegu for himself. But Taeyong couldn't let that happen, he wouldn't let that happen.

 

But when be walks out of the tunnel into the darkness, he could feel every bit of resolve within him falter. In that moment, every fear and every doubt begin to flood him, bringing him to his knees as he restrains a choked sob. He felt so hopeless and so very helpless as he watched the castle burn. The flames burning his childhood, his home down into nothingness. He thinks of his father and how he had been betrayed by the one he trusted the most, and of his mother and how she refused to leave the side of the man she loved the most, even though it would lead to her own death, then he thinks of Hyunsoo and how he's thousands of miles away, unaware of his own parents death as he fights a losing war, then he thinks of himself, and how besides his brother, he's the last of his family. Yet he hesitates in his grief. What would it solve anyway? His tears, they were fruitless and they wouldn't bring his parents back, they wouldn't bring him Arl Kim's head on a silver platter.

 

But he couldn't help it, he had always been weak in that manner, where he couldn't quite contain his emotions. No, they consumed him whole, so when the first tear slips out, many follow, some out of pure heartbreak and others out of anger. He simply remains there, on his knees, watching the castle burn, face stained with tears. In that moment he wasn't feared noble, son of the Teryn of Daegu, Lee Taeyong, he was more so some young man who was watching his world fall apart. He didn't want to believe it but he could still feel the chill from his father's cold skin, could still hear his mother's last words. He always thought reality was cruel in that manner, bringing him to his knees and willing him to accept it.

 

He turns to Ten then to find the dark haired elf staring at him, frowning.

 

"Why are you still here?" Taeyong inquires quietly. The Lee's hadn't been the most patient, and hadn't always been kind to the elf, so surely he held some sort of grudge against them. Taeyong is sure that if the roles were reversed, he'd flee while his master was unguarded and falling apart. So why was Ten still standing there?

 

"I-..." The dark haired male starts, swallowing thickly before admitting in a mere whisper, "I don't know."

 

"The castle has fallen and my family is no more. My guard is down and you could easily kill me as well." Taeyong tells him, "And I do not think I have the heart nor the strength to fight back if you wished to do so. If you want to kill me elf, I think it would please me actually and I ask that you do so quickly."

 

"I-I refuse, I won't kill you. You will not die here. Your mother-" The elf says with sudden confidence, a determined set to his features causing the lilac haired boy to scoff.

 

"Is dead, and I should be as well. I should have died back there, but..." The noble trails off, squeezing his eyes shut as if to repress the thought of his now deceased parents before they snap open once more, littered with thinly veiled rage," If you will not kill me then perhaps I should ensure my own death."

 

Ten's eyes widen as he watches his former master pull his sword from it's sheath and place the blade against his neck, and only out of pure panic does he raise his hand quickly, willing forth the warmth in his palms. Taeyong drops his weapon quickly then, crying out in pain from the heat that scorches his hands.

 

"Have you gone mad?!" He exclaims, glaring up at the younger.

 

"No, but it seems you have or perhaps you are more of a coward than you like to present." The words shock even the elf himself when they tumble from his lips, if the way he places a small hand over his mouth afterward as if to secure more from slipping out were any indication.

 

"Y-You cannot speak to me in that manner!" Taeyong snarls, reaching out for the elf who backs away quickly.

 

"I think the manner in which I speak to you will not matter when Arl Kim becomes the Teryn of Daegu." Ten says, shocking the noble once more with his bold words.

 

"And who will be the one to ensure that such a thing doesn't happen? Not some measly elf that is for sure." The lilac haired boy sneers, glaring daggers at the former servant.

 

"Since you give up so easily, I will find Hyunsoo myself and he will avenge the Lee family." The dark haired male tells him, though it's more so to rile the noble up more than anything else.

 

"You will do no such thing. It seems you still take me for a fool." Taeyong scoffs, staring intently at the elf.

 

"Very well then" Ten shrugs, turning away from his former master and heading on the path that leads away from the burning city. With each step he took, he silently prayed that the older boy would rise to the bait. Luckily, his facade pays off because only a few steps into his trek, the noble calls after him.

 

"Wait!"

 

The dark haired elf turns back around to find the lilac haired boy pushing to a shaky stand, picking up his fallen sword before making his way toward the smaller male.

 

"I am no coward, and I will not die here while that traitor still lives." Taeyong states, making Ten release a relieved breath when he sees traces of freshly renewed will and strength in his former master despite the fact that the elder was glaring at him. The lilac haired boy spares one last glance at the castle before pushing past the elf onto the path leading away from Daegu. Ten stares at the fallen city, the flames and the smoke engulfing the place where he spent the most coherent parts of his life, burning to mere ash, before he turns away and follows Taeyong into the darkness.