Arise

Dark Knight

 

 

 

 

 

Ten is exhausted. Not that he wasn't used to being in a constant state of worn fatigue, being an eleven servant in the estate of Daegu's Teryn granted him that. But lately, the tired pull to his body seemed to be even worse than before, something he pegged down to the events happening around him. The castle was bursting with life, double the amount of servants hurrying about, the cooks scurrying to make twice as many dishes, and many unfamiliar faces roaming the halls. The cause of such disarray? Arl Kim of Seoul, and his first visit to the castle in the last decade or so.

 

The Lee family and Kim family had one of the closest ties among nobles. In fact, the only thing that seemed to be separating the two families were their names. Teryn Lee had announced rather giddily, over a last minute feast, that a very important person would be making a visit to Daegu and the castle in particular, and this of course had set the castle in a state of panic- panic over trying to make the place more presentable than it seemed possible. Ten wasn't aware of the importance of the need to impress Arl Kim until Mrs. Lee had ordered him to spend the entire night washing and rewashing the silverware until she could see her reflection perfectly. But it wasn't just the servants who were scrambling to prepare. The dark haired elf had happened to come across a rather distressed Nan who was seen weeping because she couldn't remember the recipe to one of her rather famous pies.

 

The Lee's themselves were in various states of excitement and anxiousness. Teryn Lee could be seen late at night, wandering the halls with a wistful smile on his lips. Mrs. Lee had fabrics imported from various capitols to make what she deemed "the perfect gown" and spent most of her time bossing the servants around with a sudden nasty temper that surprised Ten more than it should have. Still recovering from his injuries, Taeyong spent most of his time in his personal quarters, but could sometimes be seen standing the midst of the crowded castle with a look of pure confusion, seemingly more out of place than Ten felt. Overall, it was a strange sight to see, and he hoped the three days that the Arl was staying would pass by quickly and without too much fault.

 

On the day the Arl is set to arrive, Ten is pulled from the kitchen where he's helping Nan chop onions by Mrs. Lee to be informed that he is to serve Arl Kim for his brief stay. Of course this seemingly insignificant piece of information sent the dark haired elf into a state of nerves and anxiousness that made him cut his finger from how bad his hands begin to shake when he returned to his task. One of the most vital things in regards to the impression of nobility were the servants, and Ten would be serving an Arl, one he wasn't familiar with, and was a very important ally to the Lee's nonetheless. He wished nothing more than for a hole to appear in the ground and swallow him whole. After he's finished helping the cook, he scurries to the quarters where the Arl is meant to stay and hurriedly checks to make sure everything is presentable. Once that task is complete he makes his way to the main hall where the Lee Family and many servants are waiting. Teryn Lee is smiling widely at anyone and everyone who passes him, even the servants, Mrs. Lee is fussing over her dress and hair, while Taeyong is simply standing off quietly to the side, a bored expression on his face.

 

Ten takes a standing position behind his master just as the castle's front doors pull open and soldiers begin marching in, bearing the Kim family crest. The last to enter is Arl Kim himself, a thin, gangly looking man with a crooked nose and stringy, greasy, dark hair. He slinks in with a smirk that makes Ten shiver at the mere eeriness of it. The Arl bows before them, the Lee family following suit before engaging in conversation.

 

“Teryn Lee, my good friend, it has been far too long.” Seoul's Arl greets, smiling in what Ten assumed was to be a pleasant manner but it greatly resembled that of a grimace.

 

“A sentiment that is returned, my lord.” The Teryn replies, motioning around himself with a small smile of his own, eyes twinkling with happiness, “Allow me to welcome you to both Daegu and the castle. It is a pleasant sight, isn't it my friend?”

 

“Pleasant indeed” The Arl mutters, allowing his eyes to roam the towering structure and finery presented in the main hall.

 

“We have worked diligently in preparing for your arrival. I hope you find your stay an enjoyable one-”

 

“Must you ramble so? We are all old friends, are we not?” Mrs. Lee interrupts, waving off her husband's extended pleasantries as she offers her hand to the Arl who pecks it with an amused smile.

 

“Ah yes, Jiyoon, you are a pleasant sight indeed after many weeks of traveling. The years appear to have been quite good to you as you seemed to have aged much similar to the bottles of wine your husband can never be seen without.” Teryn Lee promptly chokes on the wine he had been sipping at the Arl's words, causing the main hall to erupt in laughter. Even Taeyong appears amused, a small smile pulling at his lips before Arl Kim's eyes land on him and he bows abruptly, "Ah, Jiyoon, this is your boy? I believe he has grown into a fine young man, handsome and noble indeed. While Hyunsoo exudes strength, this boy radiates power. Watch out old friend, this boy might take Daegu by the horns and give it a ride that might have your name erased from the History books to come."

 

At his friend's words, Teryn Lee scoffs, but the fondness in his gaze is undeniable when it lands on his son who bows once more and thanks the Arl with a flushed face and a flustered smile. Mrs. Lee rubs her son's shoulder affectionately, fanning herself with her free hand. Ten takes it all in with a blank look, but he couldn't deny the warmth he felt in that moment. It seemed Arl Kim, despite his rather unsettling physical appearance, brought a sense of warmth that the castle had surely been missing.

 

The thought is short lived however, when the castle's main doors burst open once more and soldiers bearing the Lee family crest begin to march in, lining up along the walls. Arl Kim turns to the family with bright grin then, motioning towards the display with a frail, pale arm.

 

"This reminds me, I came across quite a familiar individual in my travels."

 

The Arl has just barely finished his sentence when none other than Lee Hyunsoo makes his appearance, alongside Yoona. The pair looked rather haggard in appearance, both donning already bandaged wounds that were numerous in number, with bags lining their tired eyes. But they were smiling nonetheless, happy to be home. The first to greet them is Mrs. Lee, rushing forward to envelope her son in a tight hug, all the while fussing over his worn looking state. Teryn Lee hurriedly ushers Yoona over, complaining about the fried state of the staff strapped to her back and the eyepatch covering her eye. Ten struggles to keep the confusion developing within him at bay from the display. Though Yoona was the Lee family enchantress, she was still just an elf. Why did the Teryn treat her in such an esteemed manner? It greatly puzzled him, the dynamic of their relationship, but he seemed to be the only one confused, as no one else in the hall spared the pair a second glance.

 

"Little brother, what happened to you?" Hyunsoo asks, worry etched into his tone, when he finally turns to greet Taeyong, who's smile has long since slipped from his features, instead replaced by a small frown.

 

"Nothing" The lilac haired boys replies tightly, dodging the elder's attempt at a hug, making his older brother frown too, "For how long will you be staying this time, dear brother?"

 

"We leave tomorrow morning, actually. A messenger caught up to me just as I entered the city. We are needed up North by the end of this week for an important battle. This could drive those tainted demons back for good. If we are victorious, of course." Hyunsoo informs his brother, gaze taking a distant look as he seemed to be recalling unpleasant memories. But his younger brother only paid attention to the beginning half of his sentence, snorting at the information before making room to move past his sibling after their father has announced the feast will be beginning soon and that they are to head to the dining hall.

 

"Then what was your purpose in coming home anyway, Hyunsoo? Did you wish to show off your battle wounds? How pathetic." Taeyong sneers, pushing past the brunet rather roughly , causing the elder's frown to increase as he reaches out to the younger fruitlessly.

 

"He hates me." Hyunsoo mumbles then, defeat evident in his tone as he watches his brother disappear in the crowd, before his gaze shifts to Ten who had been watching the display rather intently. The elf quickly looks away, cheeks burning at being caught, but the older Lee brother simply laughs, attempting to smile despite the misery marring it, "You are a pleasant sight to see, my friend. Yoona informed me of your abilities. It does not surprise me in the slightest as you are gentle in nature, young elf, and quite strong too, if I might add, like a warrior of heart. One must be mentally strong willed to deal with my brother, after all. He is more difficult than any tainted demon in my books. Maker help him, he is foolish too. But I love him despite his many flaws. And since I am to face an important battle soon, one that I may not return from. I would like to thank you, while I have to the chance, elf, for putting up with my brother."

 

Surprised doesn't even begin to describe the various emotions that course through Ten at the noble's words. Though random in nature, the older male's sincerity could not be questioned, not even while he stared at the elf with a genuine smile. Though the pair didn't interact much, as he was often always away to battle, Hyunsoo had to be Ten's favorite among the Lee family. Not only was the elder a great, revered warrior and general, but his personality greatly differed from other nobles. Hyunsoo didn't have any personal servants and neither did he request anything from the household servants. Whenever he did return to the castle, he would speak to them as if they were of the same status, like they were old friends, even giving them trinkets he had collected from whatever city he had been in that week. For this, many of the elves respected the elder, claiming he was the lesser of evils surrounding him.

 

Hyunsoo was kind and gentle, greatly cared about those around him, but specifically adored his brother, despite the younger's false disdain towards him. When they were younger, Taeyong greatly admired and looked up to his older brother, always eager to get the elder's opinion on various things and receive training similar to that of his brother. During those times, it was nearly impossible to see Hyunsoo without his younger brother trailing behind him or attached to his hip. But somewhere in the midst of Hyunsoo becoming an official soldier and taking over the Lee families army when his father became too frail for battle, eventually becoming a revered general in their lands and even the country, that childish adoration had morphed into pure, raged filled envy. Eventually that jealousy drove a wedge between the pair, or at least it did on Taeyong's end, Hyunsoo still showered his brother with adoration and love, always inquiring about him in his brief letters to home, attempting to help the younger with his training (which would more often than not would dnd with Taeyong becoming upset and attempting to attack his older brother in a non practicing manner), and constantly defending his younger brother in light of his more impulsive actions. Ten had always yearned for a love like that- whether friendly or something more, one where the other person saw beyond his flaws but still loved him regardless of them. Though he doubted it would ever happen. Who would ever love an eleven servant?

 

"I-... Thank you, my lord. You are too kind." The elf stammers, twisting his fingers unconsciously, a nervous habit he had developed over his time serving the Lee family. The pair appeared to be the only ones left in the main hall, too immersed in conversation to notice everyone else's disappearance.

 

"Please, call me Hyunsoo, or whatever else your heart desires. My lord is an unnecessary title. I am not above you in the eyes of the Maker anyway, for you and I are equal, Ten. I believe you to be my friend, even if you do not think the same of me." Hyunsoo tells him, closing the small distance between them to place a gentle hand on the servant's shoulder. Ten flinches at this, making the brunet frown before he inquires, "Do they beat you?"

 

"S-Sometimes, mostly the stable master and nan, when she's upset. I-It's because I am a useless elf who cannot do anything correctly. I deserve-"

 

"Is that what they tell you or is that truly how you think of yourself?" The noble cuts in sharply, looking rather displeased at the elf's words, "You mustn't give their insults too much thought. Much like you, they are not here willingly. They are here because they are the best in the city for their respective fields. When one is being oppressed, they tend to lash out at those lower than them in ranking, to at least feel some form of authority. That, and their words hold no weight. If they knew of your abilities, they would think twice about speaking so foolishly. You are not useless my friend, have some faith in yourself."

 

The elder's words send the elf into a state of sudden mortification. Ten buries his face in his hands, attempting to cool his burning cheeks as the older Lee brother's words begin to register. Being on the receiving end of such kindness left him speechless for he felt both undeserving and embarrassed despite being one of the only two people present in the rather spacious hall. Hyunsoo laughs quietly at the sight, before the hand resting on the servant's shoulder comes to gently pry at the elf's hands covering his face. Once they've been removed he gives the younger a kind smile.

 

"Forgive me, my friend, for I do not know why I spoke so intimately. But I do not regret my words, for I meant them whole heartedly." The noble says, before stepping back and glancing around the hall, speaking absentmindedly, "I suppose I am just worried. I saw things at the last battle that will surely haunt me in my slumber tonight. Ten years of war and I was still frightened at what I saw. But why am I boring you with my horror stories? I just... There is something on the horizon, yes? Something that I cannot tell the nature of, which frightens me greatly. But I know you will keep my brother safe. In this warn torn world, he is what I cherish the most, and it would be a favor for which I am not sure I could repay you, but it would warm a tired soldier's heart."

 

Ten nods adamantly, not quite trusting his words. But it seems to please Hyunsoo, who pauses in his pacing to bow at the elf who almost faints from shock.

 

"For that, I suppose I should be the one to thank you." The elder tells him with a bright smile, but the eleven servant is too busy checking the doorways in his paranoia to notice. After all, if one of the Lee family were to walk in on such a display, he'd be the one to receive a rather nasty beating for it. He's broken from his panic when Hyunsoo heads toward the doorway leading to the dining hall, making way to leave, but not before turning back to address the elf once more, "Also, be wary of the Arl for he is not in his right mind. He is a strange man, and one you should not linger around unless you must. Please heed my warning, for it is in your best interest. Until we meet again, my friend."

 

With those parting words, Hyunsoo disappears beyond the doorway, leaving Ten to stand in the main hall with mixed emotions. So many thoughts began running through his mind that he struggled to keep up. The elder's kindness was shocking but not unexpected. However, it was two things in particular that stuck out to the young, eleven servant.

 

"Also, be wary of the Arl for he is not in his right mind. He is a strange man, and one you should not linger around unless you must."

 

What exactly did Hyunsoo mean by this? Ten couldn't help but wonder. Nothing in particular seemed out of the ordinary with the Arl upon his arrival. In fact, his appearance seemed to brighten the atmosphere of the castle. But Hyunsoo wouldn't have said such words without them bearing any weight. He'd heed the elder's warning, but something in him wanted to find out the source of it. Deciding to save the thought for a later time, his mind wanders to the other set of words that sent a sense of dread coursing through him.

 

"There is something on the horizon, yes? Something that I cannot tell the nature of, which frightens me greatly."

 

So Hyunsoo felt it too? Ever since the night of his master's attack, Ten couldn't shake the odd feelings that seemed to linger in the air. He couldn't quite place exactly what it was, but since the noble felt it too, that meant he wasn't just imagining it.

 

"Why do you linger here, elf? There is a feast taking place and the dishes will not serve themselves, now stop your nonsensical lazing and come this very instant!"

 

Ten doesn't have to look to know that it's Nan, standing in the door way with a venomous sneer. Instead, he keeps his gaze lowered to the ground as he scurries past her to the dining hall, hoping that whatever the strange feeling was, that it wouldn't shake the world too badly.

 

 

 

 

///

 

 

 

The feast goes by rather smoothly, surprisingly. Since Ten had been ordered to serve the Arl specifically, he often found himself simply standing beside the man as the elder wasn't particularly picky or fussy. He also had to dodge Taeyong's many attempts at trying to order him around, despite a young, elven woman named Jisoo being his new appointed servant while Ten was busy serving the Arl. Mrs. Lee would scold him whenever this happened, reminding her son of the brunet woman beside him, ready to fulfill his every order. But Taeyong was not pleased of course, shooting Ten heated glances throughout the entire feast before his temper seemed to get the better of him and he all but dragged the dark haired elf out of the dining hall despite his mother's appalled protests, claiming that he needed the servant to redress his wounds. The last thing Ten saw was Arl Kim laughing in amusement before Taeyong was pulling him along.

 

Once they make it to the elder's personal quarters, he slams the door behind him before whipping around to regard the elf. Heavy breathing and prominent veins is what makes up Ten's master and it makes the younger tremble slightly, heart beating rapidly in his chest as he awaits whatever punishment the elder had planned for him. But Taeyong simply closes the distance between them, staring directly in the elf's frightened eyes before asking.

 

"Well, what are you waiting for? The wounds won't redress themselves."

 

Releasing a breath he hadn't realized he'd been holding, Ten quickly scrambles for the medical supplies the healers left in the noble's room for quick access. Once he has everything he needs, he turns around to find Taeyong already shirtless, sitting on the bed as he watches the elf intently. Suddenly nervous, though he's done this countless times, the servant hesitantly makes his way towards his master, ducking his head as he begins to work on peeling off the old bandages. The lilac haired boy's gaze is still heavy as Ten works diligently, growing more heated as silence envelopes them, tense in nature. So the elf is only mildly surprised when his master speaks up, voice littered with disdain.

 

"You are a Mage." He says simply, before adding, "And I was not aware. I had to almost die to know that my servant could easily kill me in my sleep with his magic if he pleased-"

 

"I-It is n-not like that-" Ten attempts to cut in quickly, feeling panic rise within him once more.

 

"Quiet! You do not get to tell me how it is, for I already know! You think I am foolish elf? You think I don't know the dangers of magic? I know you are not the most fond of me also and you probably have something planned in that head of yours. Your little act does not fool me, you serve with too much obedience. Do as you wish, but know that I won't be afraid to strike you down should you ever turn your abilities against me." Taeyong's words are like knives and they make the small servant pause in his work to swallow thickly, feeling tears brim his eyes as his fear begins to consume him. His master's temper was so unpredictable sometimes that it frightened him.

 

"I would never- I m-mean, I could never-" He begins, unable to finish with how shaky his voice is. But the elder seems to understand nonetheless, chuckling bitterly as if the sight amused him.

 

"You are telling me that if I raised a blade to your throat right now you wouldn't attempt to defend yourself? You must truly think me foolish." The elder sneers, glaring venomously at the dark haired male who begins to undo the bandages on his hips. Ten doesn't offer a reply, hoping desperately that his master's anger would cease if he remained quiet. But he's never been so lucky and just when silence begins to envelope them once more, the lilac haired boy speaks up.

 

"Why didn't you tell me, Ten?" It's a hoarse whisper, one the eleven servant would have had to strain to hear had he not already been invading the elder's personal space. Ten hesitates then, not quite sure how to reply. Would "Your father told me not to tell you" suffice? Or was it not his place to say? He wasn't too sure, so he decided to take the safe route.

 

"I-I don't know." The elf stammers, anxiousness growing in the pit of his stomach.

 

"You don't know?" Taeyong chuckles bitterly once more, tone turning dark as he says, "There are a lot of things I wish I didn't know, Ten. But that my elf is a Mage isn't one of them."

 

Ten doesn't miss the troubled look that crosses his master's features at the admission. But it goes just as quickly as it came, and the elder is already staring down at him in anger once more.

 

"You displease me, Ten." He says quietly, gaze never straying from the elf before him, "I am only going to ask this once more, in hopes that you will tell me earnestly. Why did you hide this from me?"

 

Biting back the truth, Ten simply focuses on the task at hand, carefully applying fresh bandages to his master's bruised hips.

 

"You will not tell me, even when I ask so kindly?"

 

The lack of reply he receives this time seems to set the lilac haired boy off. Ten barely has time to blink before the noble is reaching out, knocking the bandages from his hand as he pushes him to the floor. Ten isn't sure what possesses him to do so, but when his back hits the rough gravel, he struggles against the elder, attempting to roll away. But it proves fruitless of course, and seems to anger his master further. Taeyong restrains him almost instantly, strong hand coming to grip his smaller ones in an iron grip while his other is drawn back in a fist, ready to strike at any moment. Ten squeezes his eyes shut then, attempting to prepare himself for the blow. But it never comes.

 

"Get out" Taeyong manages between shaky, rage filled breaths. When the elf slips his eyes open, the fury in them makes him shiver at being the one on the receiving end of it. Upon noticing that he hasn't made any move to leave, the elder hisses, "I said get out, now!"

 

Ten scrambles to his feet then, trying not to jostle his already injured master any further when he crawls from under him. He only spares one quick glance back to find the noble burying his flushed face in his shaky hands, before the elf pulls the door open and hastily exits, slipping it closed quickly before promptly breaking down himself. He couldn't help the first tear that fell, or the rest that followed. Sometimes his master had a way of making him feel like he had done wrong. Ten hated that feeling. Holding his sobs in, in fear of upsetting his master further so that he might return, the servant cries silently, tears slipping down his face as he stares somberly ahead. It was foolish to cry out in the open, when someone could stumble across him, and knowing his luck, it would probably be a human. Of course that's exactly what happens.

 

"Oh, there you are elf." When Ten glances to the source of the skin crawling voice to find Arl Kim making his way towards him, he quickly scrambles to his feet, bowing low and hastily wiping his tears as he does so. Once he's standing fully, the Arl seemingly inspects him then, eyes lingering on his face before he speaks, "What is your name?"

 

"T-Ten, m-my lord." The servant stammers, struggling to maintain contact with the intimidating man before him.

 

"Stutter again and I'll have your tongue cut out and served at the next feast." The Arl threatens, a devious smirk pulling at his lips when Ten visibly bristles despite the emptiness of the threat.

 

"Y-Yes, my lord."

 

"That's better." Arl Kim says before turning away, telling Ten over his shoulder to, "Come with me."

 

The Arl leads him to the his room in the guest quarters. Ten doesn't give it much thought, following behind the elder obediently. When they arrive, it's dark and eerie, so the elder quickly lights a few candles before motioning for the servant to sit on the bed. The elf quickly does as instructed, seating himself quietly on the edge of the bed before the Arl follows suit. Ten tries not to be bothered by how close the older male chooses to sit beside him.

 

"So, elf, where did Lee find such a delicate little thing like you? You do not look as dingy as those city elves. Tell me, are you one of those wild elves- what do they call them? Oh! Are you Dalish by chance?" Somewhere in the midst of his rambling, the Arl has managed to scoot even closer to the servant, who struggles to keep his unease at bay. But the older man was somewhat off putting and Ten couldn't shake the strange feeling.

 

"I do not remember from where I came. But I am neither Dalish and I do not hail from the alienage." The servant admits, memories of the burning farm flooding his mind before he wills them away.

 

"Oh? That is strange, but not unheard of." Arl Kim says, before his voice takes an indecipherable turn and he turns to face the younger with a look that sends shivers down his spine, dread creeping in the pit of his gut, "But you are a pretty little thing, and I am almost sure the Teryn is letting you go to waste, such a shame."

 

When the elder's hand finds it's way on his thigh, Ten jerks away quickly as if burned. The Arl's face shows that of great anger but before he can open his mouth to voice his displeasure, loud knocking at the door interrupts them. With a frustrated sigh, the elder fixes his stringy looking hair before pulling open the door to reveal a rather blank faced Yoona.

 

"What is it?" Arl Kim inquires tightly.

 

"The Teryn has requested Ten's services. The matter is urgent." The brunet elven woman informs him, motioning for the servant who's cowering in the corner to come forward.

 

"Very well, he is free to go." The dark haired male sighs, addressing the servant after he's scurried past him to hide behind the enchantress, an intimidating set to his features, "I expect you to be here first thing in the morning, elf."

 

"Yes sir" Ten mutters, gaze adverted.

 

"Now that the matter is settled. I bid you a good night, Arl Kim." Yoona says with a pleasant smile to which the Arl simply rolls his eyes before slamming the door shut in their faces. The eleven woman's smile promptly disappears then as she begins to lead a shaken Ten through the familiar halls that lead to the study. She doesn't glance back at him the entire way, and to add to the mystery, when they finally arrive in the study, Teryn Lee is no where in sight. But Ten is too busy shaking in fear of what just happened. When he whimpers pathetically, recalling the sadistic look in the Arl's eyes, she turns to him then, gripping him firmly by the shoulders.

 

"Muster your strength, apprentice." She tells him evenly, gaze steely as she stares down at him. Assuming her anger is directed at him and his pathetic display, Ten nods shakily, swallowing thickly but his shaking only increases. At the sight, the female Mage's gaze softens, "My anger is not directed at you. But at those that wish to cause you harm. Please, do not misunderstand. You and I are the same. I have been in your position once. I know your fear and I see your strength in surviving this hell. But you must see it yourself so that you can use it as a stepping stone. So muster your strength, my dear, you will need it."

 

"I will?" Ten asks, confusion marring his features. Yoona simply smiles at this, but it's tired and with the eye patch covering her right eye, it makes her seem more worn and cool in nature. She looked so much more different than the woman who had smiled so kindly at him in their first meeting. But he supposed constantly being exposed to war could do that to an individual. Still, something about the way she was speaking frightened him. Did she know something that he didn't? Of course she did, but the real question was, what was she willing to tell him?

 

"Yes, I want to teach you something, in hopes that you will know when to use it." The elder says, before turning to one of the shelves and pulling out a book, opening it and flipping it to a particular page, "Something is brewing on the horizon and I wish you to be prepared. It is beyond this war, beyond you and I. I cannot even comprehend it. But it is in my best interest to make sure you stand a chance of surviving it."

 

Ten freezes at that, Hyunsoo's earlier words flashing through his mind.

 

"There is something on the horizon, yes? Something that I cannot tell the nature of, which frightens me greatly."

 

"You feel it too?" He murmurs, staring at the brunet elf, but she is too busy reading a passage in the book to notice.

 

"I am leaving tomorrow with Hyunsoo's army and will be gone for quite some time. You will need better protection in my absence." She informs him suddenly, turning to face him with a smile much similar to that of when they first met before he notices the flames dancing in her palm, "Now come, there is much for you to learn."

 

 

 

///

 

 

 

Hyunsoo and his army leave bright and early the following morning alongside Yoona. Everyone in the castle is present to bid them safe travels, including a bleary eyed, exhausted Ten. He and Yoona had stayed up the entire night before as he attempted to master the spells she taught him which caused him to end up with two hours worth of sleep. But he didn't mind, feeling both grateful and somber as he wished the enchantress farewell before she disappeared beyond the gates, swallowed up in the midst of marching soldiers. He prayed she would return to him safely as he felt something akin to a bond forming between them, something more than a student-teacher relationship. Perhaps sister and brother? He quite liked the thought of that, a small smile pulling at his lips at the prospect, only for it to completely disappear when he catches sight of Arl Kim staring at him from across the courtyard, memories of the night before flooding through his mind. Ten doesn't waste anytime in scurrying away then, almost bumping into Taeyong in his haste to get to get to the kitchen.

 

For the rest of the Arl's stay Ten find himself struggling to serve the man and avoid being alone with him. It's difficult when Taeyong is avoiding him and he has no excuse to not be in the Arl's constant presence. But somehow he manages. On the bright side, he notes that both the stable master and Nan have been treating him with decency lately, something he reminds himself to thank Hyunsoo for when he returns. Though he knows the elder will insist it wasn't his doing. So Ten prayed for his safe return alongside Yoona by his way of thanks.

 

The eleven Mage doesn't have a chance to practice the spells his teacher had taught him before her departure, both in fear of destroying something and because the Arl keeps him busy the entire day, until he arrives at the servant's quarters late at night, where he promptly passes out from exhaustion. But Ten figures he'll have plenty of time to practice once the man is gone, with the way his master is ignoring him and all. He can't help the way his mind wanders to thoughts of the lilac haired boy in his current position, lying awake, staring at the ceiling in the darkness of the servant's quarters. He hoped his master was taking care of himself as when he got upset, he had a tendency to shut down and lock himself away. With the way Ten hadn't seen him since Hyunsoo's departure, the elf knew that was the case. Since the noble didn't like other's seeing him in various states of undress, he would most likely try to fix his own wounds, or at least Ten hoped the elder would try. Sometimes when Taeyong got in one of his moods, the last thing on his mind was his health, that much could be proven by the fateful night he had attempted to run away and had almost cost himself his life in the process.

 

A yawn escapes the worn elf then, who rolls over onto his side before promptly falling asleep.

 

 

 

///

 

 

 

Ten awakens to the darkness of the servant's quarters. But it's the noises that wake him that have him bolting upright. What sounded like screaming and fighting could be heard, jostling him to awareness as he rises to a bleary stand. That's when the smell of smoke hits him and he scrambles through the quarters to find that he's the only one there. Confused and panicked, the dark haired elf hurries to the exit door that leads to the rest of the castle.

 

The smell of smoke becomes more prominent with the closer he gets, as well as the shrieking and sounds of battle. What was happening? The servant hurries through the door only to be met with the sight of fire and people scurrying back and forth. The sight of the burning castle only sent his anxiousness into overdrive, as well as the fleeing people. But before Ten could even make out what was happening an arrow comes flying past him, which he barely dodges, that has him whipping around to face the source.

 

That's when he finally realizes what's going on. But by then it's already much too late. The people around him weren't just fleeing the fire. No, there were armor clad men descending upon them, chasing them with swords and sending rapidly fired arrows and dogs after them. Ten knew this because one of the enemies was now standing directly before him, bow drawn, ready to unleash another arrow. The look on his face was that of a cold blooded killer and it made Ten shiver at the intensity of it as the man released the string, the arrow grazing the servant's cheek who stared at him with wide eyes. Only one thought ran rampantly through Ten's mind in that exact moment filled with the terrified screams of those fleeing around him, the barking of the dogs chasing them, the clashing of swords and weaponry, the crackling of the fire and the illumination of the flames dancing on the burning castle, the smoke distorting his vision as he clutched his stinging cheek, blood seeping through the spaces in his fingers; The castle was under attack.