Success or Failure

Love Me or Die
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yoona knew that the longer they took to salvage Yuri's bleeding liver, the lesser time they had to fix her spinal cord. She didn't know if she was to focus on the bleeding or the severity of her spine; it didn't help that some of the doctors were also rather disturbed, knowing that one of them had done a messy stitch in order to hurry the process.

“Joohyun, I want you to stitch it up. No one else is to touch Yuri or I will have your head, literally. Yunho-oppa, Ryeowook-oppa, get the tools and metal plates ready, we will need to insert it in the lower area of the back so there's some firm support there. Fany-unnie, please go to the other operating theatre and check on the other victims before reporting to their families.”

As the commands were given out without hesitation, everyone moved orderly before they offended their head surgeon. Yoona was not in the mood for any other mistakes to occur or her head would burst; here lay the woman she loved and there was some idiot who did a messy stitch. 

“Flip her over once you’re done. I’ll run over to the store room and grab some supplies.” 

It was so difficult for Yoona to hold herself together, slicing open Yuri's back in order to do the necessary on the spinal cord; not forgetting the metal plates that had to be inserted in both her back and her limbs to help support her movements. Yuri's injuries more than severe and it was a miracle she hadn't been pronounced dead on arrival of paramedics. 

She wouldn't know how to face anybody if this operation fell through because it would seem like a petty act of revenge - revenge for breaking up with her and leaving without a word years ago. Although Yoona herself knew she wouldn't do such a thing, there was no denying that she was still heartbroken at the events that had gone down between them. 

“Yoona… you know how much I love you right?” 

Even words that came from Yuri's mouth years ago was still deeply etched in her mind. Yoona knew there was something more to their break-up but she didn't dare to ask their friends; they might not be able to protect her from the cold, harsh truth if anything didn't turn out the way she wanted it to. 

“YOONA! HURRY!” 

Oh God, she didn't need to be told twice. 

Yoona ran back with the necessary supplies and got to work immediately, double-checking the effect of the anesthesia as she lifted her scalpel. “Keep an eye on her heartbeat.” Yoona blocked out everything else and continued her work, gently slicing open Yuri’s back. Her heart ached upon seeing the various fractures and cracks among the bones.

As to whether Yuri would be able to walk normally, Yoona couldn't guarantee it anymore.

Seohyun waited for Yoona's instructions patiently, holding the metal pieces in both hands. “Joohyun, insert the metal cuff just below the 4th vertebra and the 7th vertebra.” Yoona waited patiently and took deep breaths, hoping that the insertion would be smooth and easy first so they could continue with the remaining parts of the operation. 

While Seohyun got busy on Yuri's spine, Yoona moved towards the back of Yuri's calves and shuddered - the wound was massive and there would definitely leave a huge scar. At one simple glance, Yoona could tell that there was a small to zero chance that Yuri would ever walk normally again. It was already difficult enough with Yuri's back so badly injured but now with her leg, there would be more metal pieces in her body than originally expected. 

“Yoona-ah, I need you to stop whatever you’re doing and help me attach the second metal cuff to the bone. Afterward, we can focus on the back of her leg.”

As the two surgeons worked hand in hand, Yunho had already found the culprit behind the messy stitch and he knew the exact reasonf or it happening. He whispered, “Keunsuk… You do not endanger someone’s life because you’re jealous.” Keunsuk looked down at the ground; he knew it was wrong but he couldn't help it at that point in time. 

The reason behind it soon became clear to all - Yoona had rejected Keunsuk because her heart still belonged to Yuri and she made it clear to everyone in her team. As long as Yuri was still alive and kicking in this world, Yoona was going to find out the true reason behind their break-up.

“Okay, let’s wrap it up!”

With that said, the other surgeons rushed to where Yoona and Seohyun were standing as they made sure everything was in place; Yuri was ready to be transferred to the ICU ward and she would be observed for the next 24 to 48 hours. 

 

 “Mr and Mrs Kwon.”

Everyone looked up sleepily and quickly headed to where the doctor was standing. Yunho was a friend of the Kwons’ and he offered to deliver the news to them so they would be assured – Yoona wasn’t ready to face any of them, not after the injuries she had seen on Yuri’s body anyway. He waited for everyone to refresh themselves and tried to lighten the mood with one of his charming smiles. 

“How is my daughter, Yunho? Is she going to be okay?”

“Is Yuri okay?”

“Will she able to race again?”

“OKAY! LET HIM TALK!”

Yunho sighed and ruffled his hair with a sheepish grin, “As for her leg, there will be some metal plates inserted because the bone was cracked and the muscles were completely pulled. Her back will take a long time to recover and we'll have to wait for her to wake up before we know how acquainted she can be with the metal pieces in her.”

“I know all of you are worried but please take into consideration that our top surgeons have taken part in this surgery. Yuri is very lucky to be alive after such a bad accident but the next twenty-four to fourty-eight hours will be crucial. Only one to two people will be allowed in the ICU to visit at one time.” 

Several sighs of relief were released; Mrs Kwon had collasped into a heap on the benches, thanking God for the blessings he had bestowed upon her precious daughter. 

On the other hand, Mr Im

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter